Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2022, 13:15   #16
BHPian

Re: My sister wants to buy a 50-lakh SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
So now the decision is between the three
1- Jeep Compass diesel model S - my sister loves the design and Road presence, excellent interiors, she is not bothered of rattles, so that’s not an issue
2- BMW X1 20d X-line - love the badge value. And I love the engine, great box. I feel the new generation of this spec may cross 60 lac, so not wanting to wait
3- Mercedes GLA 220D - love the badge value and interior ambience
Since Jeep Compass is already in contention and she loved the vehicle, I would recommend to go with the one. Very competent all purpose no nonsense vehicle, not very bulky for a real 4x4 SUV hence may suit the persona (purely subjective though) and the savings of 20-30 lacs
Gsynch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 13:18   #17
BHPian

Voted Others and here is my suggestion.

EDIT - I overlooked your note on not wanting the Q3 and XC40 and they were after all my top picks.

Having said that, I would ask you to look at the Mini (super fun). It sort of ticks her needs except for the SUV part. May be the Countryman like GTO suggested. Won't be too low slung and can take some Rutted roads if need be. And it would still be fun when you want to get behind the wheel.

Last edited by vjbox : 19th September 2022 at 13:26.
vjbox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 13:25   #18
BANNED

Since driving dynamics and power is not a priority, GLA makes most sense. Petrol/Diesel is upto you to decide but waiting for a new X1 or sticking with the old gen doesn't make sense unless the owner is a die hard enthusiast.
P.S. The engine and gearbox might be similar but Q3 is a very different car from your Kodiaq, please do have her drive it.
agambhandari is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 13:27   #19
BHPian

Jeep Compass or Hyundai Tucson - Both perfect in size and ease of driving with all the modern features and can be maintained easily in the longer run than the bigger luxury brands. Doctors generally prefer a hassle free and reliable vehicle. I know someone who had upgraded to a luxury brand and after around 2 yrs got back to Toyota for reliability and he preferred the trouble-free ownership over the unreliable luxury.

Last edited by Herbie98 : 19th September 2022 at 13:35. Reason: Additional information added.
Herbie98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 14:18   #20
BHPian

Get the GLA. No badge has the snob value that the Merc has in India. As you mentioned yourself your sister will enjoy the interiors. Not to mention is suits her profession perfectly. We all know doctors are making the biggest bucks now days.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 16:00   #21
BHPian

Voted for the GLA 220d.

We own one, a 4 matic in Denim Blue that we bought in March 2022. In my view, it's the best bet among your options.

Why the GLA?
Latest generation, a modern and spacious interior, MBUX is among the best, easy to drive especially in the city, refined and fuel efficient. Its very well equipped. And it's quicker than or as fast as cars at that price point. Plus the car gets a 7 year unlimited mileage warranty on the engine and gearbox. While BMWs handle better, you can't really fault the GLAs ride and handling.

Why would you skip it?
Price. 55L is a lot of money for a small SUV.
Looks. It doesn't have the butch SUV look like the compass.
Misses out on keyless entry, a 360 camera and ventilated seats.

In our case, after months of shopping around, this turned out to be our choice as we needed a car for the city that both me and my wife could drive with ease and yet fast enough for the enthusiast in me. I d recommend the 4 matic option for its suede black AMG interior, nicer studded grill and larger wheels.
clementj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 16:09   #22
BHPian

Quote:
4. Car should suit her profession. She’s a doctor.
Is that the reason why the i-VTEC had become an iv-tech (iv-IntraVenous in medical lingo)
Quote:
2. She has been driving Honda City iv-tech Manual fourth-generation for six years now, and wanted to upgrade to automatic
Jokes aside, voted for Jeep Compass. Entry level luxury cars are a borderline compromise to similarly priced non luxury badge offerings.
TN13Sleeper is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 16:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
4. Car should suit her profession. She’s a doctor. Whatever that means
Merc. only and only for this reason alone. I have seen many doctors driving around in Mercs. Would definitely suit her image.
Other option would be Mini Countryman, a simply unique offering but the ride will definitely be on stiffer side.
sagpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 16:36   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I would probably go against the tide and skip the Mercedes. My experience with them hasn't been great in terms of niggles and maintenance cost - and though it has the brand and interior ambience, there isn't anything else that really makes the car justify the 20L extra over the Compass.
Instead I would choose between the Tucson & the Compass primarily - both which have some solid pros and cons. The Compass though would get my vote as being easier to drive, and more manageable.
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 18:34   #25
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I voted for the JC Diesel, but, if she is not hung up on the diesel she can take the 4x2 petrol automatic. we took the Jeep meridian adventure drive and it was a fantastic demo of its off road capabilities. So if she thinks she wants to do some adventure off road stuff then there is nothing like the JC 4x4 (trailhawk or meridian).

My wife got her JC Auto Petrol in March and she absolutely loves it. The road presence is great, she checked out the GLA but was not interested as the car seemed to be "delicate" (in her opinion).
I did not push for any particular vehicle as she was going to drive it. We looked at the XC40 and Q3 but the Q3 was going to take too much time and the XC40 was too similar to our V90 so she did not want that.
chandu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 19:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
This post is on behalf of my sister who wants to buy a luxury SUV with budget of 50lacs. It’s been a month of test drives which is kind of exciting. It came down to a choice between Jeep compass Diesel, Mercedes GLA 220D and BMW X1 Diesel

Her requirements are pretty basic and simple
1. Her monthly running year is about 1500 km. Mostly on the highways of Kerala, predominantly Kochi
2. She has been driving Honda City iv-tech Manual fourth-generation for six years now, and wanted to upgrade to automatic
3. Reliability over anything else, but nothing from Toyota stable excited her
4. Car should suit her profession. She’s a doctor. Whatever that means
5. Car will be solo driven most of the time so not wanting to cross 4.5m length
6. She is a very sedate driver, so handling and BHP is low on priority for her. BUT, I will also be occasionally driving it, so it is somewhat of a priority to me.
7. Only SUV
Can you please assist
X1 is my suggestion. Pls ask her to see both X1 and GLA. Later looks like a souped up hatchback when it comes to the design. But it makes up in the interior. The 2 liter diesel is underwhelming. X1 is a SUV looking crossover but kind of let down in the interior. Once you push the pedal down then your grin will say everything. X1 has that relaible 2 liter diesel that's doing duty in many other BMW models. The other factor to consider is that GLA just had it's refresh while the X1 is yet to get it's refresh in India. I was in similar situation and went with X1 and no regrets. X1 is a headturner compared to MB GLA in my observation. When it's driven 1500 Kms a month then driving experience and handling is an important factor and this is BMW's forte.

Last edited by sgmuser : 19th September 2022 at 19:38. Reason: Typo
sgmuser is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 19:44   #27

Wouldn't the GLA's additional safety and driver assist features tip the scales away from Compass? IMO if you have the budget then you should go for safest car or at least use safety to break a tie.
Sharat145 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 20:08   #28
BHPian

Out of the 3 choices I voted for GLA. However, only if it is an immediate requirement.
If you can hold on for a few months, the next-gen X1 is on the way. In fact, I recommend you to hold on to your purchase until the X1 arrives for 2 reasons
1. Diesel's are on the way out. It might be the last gen Diesel option available. So go for the best.
2. In terms of reliability, BMW is the winner among the 3 (Compass, X1, GLA).

Other than that, you also can check out the new Tuscon (only less is the luxury brand factor) which is a much better value car compared to the Compass, and of course, you get peace of mind in terms of reliability in a Hyundai.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 20:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend TDing a Red Kushaq Monte Carlo. At least go see it once.
ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 21:54   #30
BHPian

She should definitely test drive the ZS EV. Will be about 30L in Kerala. Fit and finish is good, almost no maintenance and in Kerala Im assuming you have a big fancy house with no issues regarding getting your own charging point . Driveability within the city will be better or on-par with others mentioned here.
lina is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks