Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which SUV will you choose?
Jeep Compass 1.4 Petrol DCT 68 40.48%
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Hybrid 100 59.52%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2022, 12:02   #1
BHPian

Jeep Compass or Toyota HyRyder?

I finally took the test drive of a new Jeep Compass petrol automatic yesterday. And I also checked out the Toyota HyRyder in the showroom. I am planning on booking one of them this week. I started my search in the beginning of this year, around the time I joined this forum and have narrowed down to these two. Why and how I shortlisted these two and why I discarded others is something I will write about in the ownership review when I get a new car.

Right now I need to decide which one to go for. It’s a mind vs heart decision really. HyRyder is the more sensible choice. The heart aches for the Compass.

Jeep Compass

Positives
  • Brand
  • Build quality
  • Ride quality
  • Better sunroof liner
Negatives
  • Abysmal fuel economy
  • Not VFM (wife thinks it’s not worth paying that kind of money for such a small car)
I found the 1.3 petrol to be adequate for my use. I am not an "enthusiastic" driver. Although it slow to pick up even compared to my Aspire which has 1.5L NA engine, once upto speed, it drives rather well for my use. I can live with it.

Toyota HyRyder

Positives
  • Amazing fuel economy
  • Toyota reliability
Negatives
  • It’s essentially a Maruti, elongated Brezza if you will
  • Flimsy sunroof liner
  • Boot space
Boot space although small, looks about the same as my current Aspire. It can fit 3 cabin sized bags and a couple of backpacks with some adjustments and removing the parcel tray. After seeing it in person, boot space is not that big of a deal breaker. The sunroof liner is another story. It’s a fishing net! It’s so flimsy. SA told me even S-Class has similar liner. But I am not in the market for an S-Class boss. The scorching Mumbai Sun will make the car an oven.

I am yet to test drive the HyRyder, but I guess it will drive OK. I don’t know how stable it will be compared to the Compass, which was rock solid.

The conundrum

I have been infatuated with Compass for a long time. The badge has snob value. I love how it looks. Despite of recently reported QC issues, the heart wants for a Compass. HyRyder is no slouch either. It offers amazing fuel economy and matches Compass feature to feature except a few like rain sensing vipers, dual zone AC and electronic seat adjustments but offers some of its own like an HUD, puddle lamp etc. Compass is although a better car between the two with regards to overall package and brand value.

I am considering top models in both. Compass Model S petrol DCT vs HyRyder strong hybrid V. The OTR difference between the two is 10 Lakhs in Mumbai.

So, my fellow BHPians, what would YOU choose between these two? Would you go with the heart and get the Compass or save the dough and get a more practical hybrid with the famed Toyota reliability?
yashg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 12:34   #2
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass or Toyota HyRyder?

If you are tilting towards a strong hybrid, and not too choosy about the SUV form factor, I would suggest you look at the Honda City Hybrid, as well.
ajayc123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 12:55   #3
BHPian

If you are a sedate driver and okay with the boot space only two significant negatives remains with Urban Cruiser : filmsy sunroof liner and rear seat headroom ( True the build quality is like Maruti). But the fuel advantage in a Hybrid and eCVT vs DCT for city drive tilts it in favour of the Hyryder in my opinion.
d-g-p is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 23:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
If you are tilting towards a strong hybrid, and not too choosy about the SUV form factor, I would suggest you look at the Honda City Hybrid, as well.
I actually am not interested much in hybrid. I am choosing hybrid only because that’s the only trim where they are offering TPMS and ventilated seats. If the mild hybrid top trim offered the same features I’d have gone with that due to more usable boot space. I want to get an SUV now for the ground clearance and high seating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-g-p View Post
If you are a sedate driver and okay with the boot space only two significant negatives remains with Urban Cruiser : filmsy sunroof liner and rear seat headroom ( True the build quality is like Maruti). But the fuel advantage in a Hybrid and eCVT vs DCT for city drive tilts it in favour of the Hyryder in my opinion.
Headroom is something that doesn’t bother me. We are all under 5’6” in the family. Fuel economy is the main draw of the HyRyder.
yashg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 01:40   #5
BHPian

IMHO, we are comparing two different segments here. One is a mainstream C-SUV and another is in the luxury C-SUV catagory. Also, Toyota HyRyder is more value for money.
It is a Maruti but the Toyota badge would offer additional warranty compared to Grand Vitara, Toyota's reliable brand name, they will try to meet their bar.
I guess you might find some aftermarket solution for the liner.

My vote out of two would be HyRyder as it will save a whopping fraction considering the price of Compass S DCT and more than double FE. Cost of ownership is a hit with the HyRyder.

I usually listen to my heart but heart can make wrong choices.

Do consider the MG Hector. I am personally a big fan of the car, 8 speed CVT, riding postion (feels comanding and very comfortable), fit and finish, spacious, techy, something you can compare with Compass at a low price.
PS: FE is ~7-8 kmpl in city.
unpopulrxplorer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 14:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpopulrxplorer View Post
Do consider the MG Hector. I am personally a big fan of the car, 8 speed CVT, riding postion (feels comanding and very comfortable), fit and finish, spacious, techy, something you can compare with Compass at a low price.
PS: FE is ~7-8 kmpl in city.
Hector was on my list but dropped it due to size. Have test driven both Astor and ZS. Setting up home charger is an issue for ZS plus I think the infra is not there for highway runs. Astor didn't appeal to me much. Anyway, decided to check out Hector today. Looks impressive. Roomier than Compass. Seems every car in this segment offers abysmal FE. Will take the Hector for a test drive over the weekend.
Old 6th October 2022, 15:46   #7
BHPian

Cross segment shopping is common, I am in a similar boat. After having dedicated many hours on deciding the next big buy, the two cars which you mentioned are in my shortlist too. My idea was to buy something which is very close to value luxury in 20-30lacs bracket. I have taken liberty to add a couple more sedan options.

The shortlist :

1. Jeep Compass Diesel Manual.

I will put my money in the diesel powertrain and enjoy the tried and tested diesel engine for the next 10 years.

The pinch of paying a premium for petrol every time at the petrol pump is simply too hard. Thats what she said.

2. Skoda Octavia Style.

It is the most value luxury with a stupendous engine.

The only drawback is missing ventilated seats and low GC IMO.

3. Virtus GT or Slavia1.5 (not value luxury)

Good boot
Good GC
Awesome engine

Interiors a little meh or should i say cost cutting is evident.

4. Toyota Hyryder Hybrid (elongated Brezza, as you said)
It is clear that powertrain is sufficient for a sedate driver. But can you compromise on the interior quality?

Sorely miss the Skoda Karoq.

Finally find a car which you can make peace with. I know, easier said than done.
All the best for future purchase.
Javelin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 15:47   #8
BHPian

Honestly, if you have the budget just go for the Jeep Compass eyes wide shut. Drive both on an open road and you will immediately realise where the extra 1 Mio is going. The Jeep Compass may have teething issues but trust me once they are past you the fun will just not end. In the city too, the Jeep is no slouch, you will have to get used to the gearbox especially if you are coming from a manual. I can vouch because I drive a manual and an automatic on alternate days. The manual is just too much fun compared to the automatic. But as soon as I hit Mumbai traffic, which is 100 meters from home, I immediately start yearning for the automatic.
Maverick1977 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 18:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
So, my fellow BHPians, what would YOU choose between these two? Would you go with the heart and get the Compass or save the dough and get a more practical hybrid with the famed Toyota reliability?
For a moment forget brand, features, value or performance. Which one of these options would you be happy to look at, and hence, be happy to drive, for the next 5 to 8 years? Everything aside, this is paramount.

From personal experience I can tell you that if the car does not appeal to your visual senses, at the back of your mind you will always have that niggling dislike. And you don't want to live with that regret for the duration of ownership. Me for example - I must have a car that is boxy to an extent.

It does not matter if you are cross segment shopping as well. Decide what you like visually. Once you zero in, both cars are good in their own right. They both have their plusses and minuses which you will be happier to live with rather than a design you don't like too much.
Newtown is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 09:39   #10
BHPian

As you might be well aware these two are different segments with all different DNA. If budget is no constraint, just go for Compass.
Test drive on a highway and you wouldnt even compare these two. If you happen to hit triple digit speed, Compass will keep asking for more throttle and Hyrider will be gasping for air.
enj0y_ride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 09:51   #11
BHPian

There is simply no comparison between the 2 cars. If your budget permits, go for the compass.

Also, any reason you have not considered the Kushaq/Taigun which occupy the same segment as the Toyota?
Old 8th October 2022, 09:52   #12
BHPian

Follow your heart and get the Jeep Compass in your favourite shade. This could be your last car with ICE.
When the world goes all electric don’t sit and regret that you could have bought the Compass when it was on sale.
Vasanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 10:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
Both cars in different categories, however since you are looking at Hyryder and Compass, I would suggest wait for the new Harrier with ADAS.
Old 8th October 2022, 11:21   #14
BHPian

Hi Yash,

I own a Compass, and I can assure you it will make you smile everytime you hit the road. Yes, the Hyrider will make sense to the head with better FE/lower price, but believe me the moment you come out of the showroom with your Hyrider and see a Compass whizz past, you will regret your decision, thinking of what could have been. Buying a car is as much a decision taken by the heart as by the head (for enthusiasts atleast) and a Compass trumps the Hyrider every time.

I was in a similar dilemma between the top end diesel Dzire and the lower end petrol Ecosport while buying a previous car; glad I went for the Ecosport, I never regretted my decision.

All the Best !
AniChaudhuri is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 12:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
4. Toyota Hyryder Hybrid (elongated Brezza, as you said)
It is clear that powertrain is sufficient for a sedate driver. But can you compromise on the interior quality?
That's the first thing I noticed when I peeked inside the Hyryder. The interiors are so meh. For the kind of price Toyota/Maruti are commanding, it should have been far far better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Honestly, if you have the budget just go for the Jeep Compass eyes wide shut. Drive both on an open road and you will immediately realise where the extra 1 Mio is going. The Jeep Compass may have teething issues but trust me once they are past you the fun will just not end. In the city too, the Jeep is no slouch, you will have to get used to the gearbox especially if you are coming from a manual.
I drive an Aspire automatic which is DCT, so yes what a boon it is to drive an auto in Mumbai traffic. I did drive the Jeep in traffic during my test drive. The brakes are a little too aggressive but nothing that I can't get used to in a day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Also, any reason you have not considered the Kushaq/Taigun which occupy the same segment as the Toyota?
They are the smallest in the segment also short on features that I care about - panoramic sunroof, 360 degree camera, ventilated seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
I would suggest wait for the new Harrier with ADAS.
Harrier is simply too big for my taste. It's huge plus I don't want to get into Diesel and all the hassles of DPF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasanth View Post
Follow your heart and get the Jeep Compass in your favourite shade.
That's what I am tilting towards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks