Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2022, 18:10   #46
BHPian

re: Isuzu MU-X | Should I choose the 4x2 or 4x4? EDIT: Booked the 4x4 variant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
This is incorrect - please refer to on-road prices (for your location) of the Fortuner (here) and MU-X (here). The difference is barely ₹ 4 lac across respective standard 4x4 AT variants.

Going by your posts, your heart seems to have settled on the MU-X. If you are really convinced, do not bother about resale value, and okay with the power on tap, just go for it.
My bad! I have been looking at the on road price of the Fortuner all along with TGA, extended warranty and Smiles included. How did I miss that completely?

Thanks for pointing it out!
Old 2nd December 2022, 23:45   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaTMoN View Post
Wow! Thanks for taking the time! That was an amazing read! You've got some serious quotable quotes all over the place.

Yes, I've already decided to go for the 4WD following my heart! Now the dilemma has shifted to the very choice of the Brand I've chosen. Some of the Isuzu customers are against Mu-X because they have seen the quality of parts reducing over time, while a couple of them said they would still go for another Isuzu.

I handpicked Isuzu Mu-X, MG Gloster and the Fortuner(in that order), based on the ride quality. The primary issue people have with the Mu-X is that, the company is neglecting the Indian market, while it's latest models are being sold in South East Asia. The engine size has reduced, and the price has skyrocketed. There's nothing inside the cabin. Yes, on the VFM front, the Mu-X fails miserably. However, the Fortuner isn't any better either. At least in the case of Mu-X, the dealership has offered to give me an advanced Android head unit with 360° camera, and the OTR price is 7+ lakhs lower than the Fortuner. I can use that savings on fuel and maintenance for the next 50,000 km. Although the Gloster is light years ahead of the other 2 vehicles in terms of VFM based on the features offered, I would trust the Japanese over the Chinese on reliability and durability.

That leaves me with just 2 questions to answer:
  1. Will the Mu-X run trouble-free for the next 10 to 15 years?
  2. Will the Mu-X have more resale value over the Fortuner?

While we all know the answer for the second question, my first question makes it irrelevant. When I'm going to keep it for 10 years, resale value wouldn't make sense, because, by then nearly all brands would've moved on to hybrid/EV vehicles, so even the great Fortuner would go for scrap. Also, wouldn't that 7 lakhs savings upfront compensate for the resale value later, because 7 lakh of today carries more value than 7 lakhs after 10 years?

Now, the only question that remains is whether the Mu-X will last for a decade without burning a hole in my pocket. If yes, I'd simply go ahead with the Mu-X. If the answer is no, perhaps I'd have to settle with the Fortuner. Who could possibly know though?
Thanks for the appreciation Sir, I wrote whatever I felt and tried to use a blend of heart and brain.

Your approach about resale value is absolutely correct, even if fortuner would possibly fetch better resale after 10 years, you are saving 7 lakhs right now.
Your point of concern is that weather Mu-x is the best option or not, you know its the best but confused a bit because of lack of attention of Isuzu in Indian buyers, and it's a serious concern. your another concern is that would the maintenance cost you a fortune or not. As far as I feel that even if you go with the Fort or even the Gloster, with them too you can have a misfortune of breakdown and spending buckets full of money. Latest Toyotas are facing issues with DPF and all. Mu-x here is the most bare bone vehicle as you said, but I take it as a positive thing here, the more basic a car is, the lesser the things are which can go wrong. Misfortunes can happen with every car, you can just have your guiding angles by your side.

My concern about the Mu-x is it is pretty much non existent in the Indian market, forget 10 years, even after 5 years, sourcing parts can be difficult if the SUV gets discontinued. Check if Isuzu shared parts with V-cross and Mu-x, because if that's the case then parts won't be a big issue it arrange, there are a lot of V-crosses on the road and it is going to stay.

Only Isuzu owners can tell you if they burn pockets or not, and still you want a safer option and have extra money to spend, Fortuner can be a safer option.

My suggestion is that you can also consider the Scorpio N 4wd. I agree that it is from a segment below, but fits your purpose, like it is feature loaded, can do mild off-roading (but only mild as far as experts and users say) would command great resale value, ride comfort is appreciable, M&Ms after sales service is decent, it retains the good old MHawk engine which has turned to be very reliable so far. I know you might have thought of the Scorpio till now, but why did you not consider it, I would like to know
Indraneil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 08:32   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indraneil View Post

My concern about the Mu-x is it is pretty much non existent in the Indian market, forget 10 years, even after 5 years, sourcing parts can be difficult if the SUV gets discontinued. Check if Isuzu shared parts with V-cross and Mu-x, because if that's the case then parts won't be a big issue it arrange, there are a lot of V-crosses on the road and it is going to stay.

Only Isuzu owners can tell you if they burn pockets or not, and still you want a safer option and have extra money to spend, Fortuner can be a safer option.

I know you might have thought of the Scorpio till now, but why did you not consider it, I would like to know
Yes, I'm more concerned about the availability of parts than anything else.

I managed to connect with a couple of Mu-x owners, and they were positive about maintenance costs. Some of the forum members who own commercial vehicles have the opposite say on this.

I did consider the Scorpio N. I didn't consider it because there is zero boot space and due to the many recalls people are experiencing.

As for the Fortuner, I was seriously considering it until yesterday, although my family was not happy with the ride comfort, when the SA began our conversation by declaring that there's no offer or discount at this time.
Old 22nd December 2022, 09:20   #49
BHPian

Hey folks!

After much deliberation, I finally decided to listen to my heart over my brain. I have booked the 4wd Isuzu Mu-x! My sincere apologies to those who tried to stop me for all the good reasons!

I had considered the following vehicles:
  1. Isuzu Mu-x
  2. MG Gloster
  3. Toyota Fortuner
  4. Skoda Kodiaq
  5. Scorpio N
  6. XUV 700
My requirements were:
  1. Safety
  2. Reliability
  3. Ride quality
  4. Proper 4WD SUV
  5. Comfortable 2nd row
  6. Adult-compatible 3rd row
  7. Enough room to store my Break-down Tool Box with all 3 rows up
Reasons for not choosing the other vehicles:
  1. MG Gloster - questionable reliability; too many gadgetry=too many things prone to failure?; they refused to demonstrate its off-road capabilities.
  2. Toyota Fortuner - nobody in the family liked the ride quality in any of the rows; SA's attitude.
  3. Skoda Kodiaq - nearest showroom being 70km away, they didn't even offer a test-drive.
  4. Scorpio N - same as above; was also concerned about niggles & recalls; no boot space.
  5. XUV 700 - niggles (even the TD vehicle had several things not working) & recalls; no boot space; not a 4WD proper SUV.
Reasons for choosing the Isuzu Mu-x:
  1. They not only demonstrated its off-road prowess, they even let me do all the stunts; though the brochure says it can ascend 30° inclines, it ascended and descended a 50°(could even be more) mound like it never existed.
  2. Better 2nd and 3rd row comfort Vs the Gloster and the Fortuner.
  3. Enough boot space to keep the kits with all 3 rows up.
  4. Very good ride comfort.
  5. Nobody else has ever given a comprehensive demo/trial of every safety feature available (ABS+EBD+EBA, ESC with TCS; okay, no, they didn't demonstrate the airbag deployment feature ). This alone was enough to impress me.
I will let you all know later if my heart was right this time!

Last edited by JoaTMoN : 22nd December 2022 at 09:39. Reason: Minor corrections
JoaTMoN is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 10:23   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Hey folks!

After much deliberation, I finally decided to listen to my heart over my brain. I have booked the 4wd Isuzu Mu-x!
Congratulations!!
What colour did you chose and when is the expected delivery?

Quote:
[*]They not only demonstrated its off-road prowess, they even let me do all the stunts; though the brochure says it can ascend 30° inclines, it ascended and descended a 50°(could even be more) mound like it never existed.
That's really nice of them - demonstrating what the vehicle is meant for and not merely explaining Apple CarPlay and other fancy features.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 10:26   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Congratulations!!
What colour did you chose and when is the expected delivery?

That's really nice of them - demonstrating what the vehicle is meant for and not merely explaining Apple CarPlay and other fancy features.
To be frank, I did not have a choice. There were only 2 4WDs in their inventory, and both were Metallic Silver. 2WDs were in stock in all colours.

Yeah, and to trust their vehicle's reliability and letting a customer, whose driving skills were unknown to them, to try out all of them, was phenomenal!
JoaTMoN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 11:37   #52
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new MuX 4x4. This would be the new 1.9 RZ4E engine, yes?

Quote:
I guess I would stick to a tuning box for now, and go with the re-mapping post-warranty. Where would you point me to, to find myself a reliable tuning box?
Quote:
but they were not sure if it's compatible with the BS6 version. They have asked me to take a snap of the powertrain and share it with them.

I would suggest you keep the engine stock and think about a remap later. I would not be comfortable adding a tuning box to a BS6 engine.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 16:22   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Congrats on your new MuX 4x4. This would be the new 1.9 RZ4E engine, yes?

I would suggest you keep the engine stock and think about a remap later. I would not be comfortable adding a tuning box to a BS6 engine.
Yes it's the 1.9 L engine, but I do not know the exact model number.

I thought plugging in a piggy back tuning box, and turning it on only when needed wouldn't be an issue. I just need that extra power while overtaking. Nothing else matters. Am I wrong?
Old 22nd December 2022, 16:34   #54
Senior - BHPian

Isuzu is going the Mitsubishi way, dishing out obsolete and expensive products. Just look at this MU-X from the Philippines:
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 20:17   #55
BHPian

Re: Isuzu MU-X | Should I choose the 4x2 or 4x4? EDIT: Booked the 4x4 variant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Isuzu is going the Mitsubishi way, dishing out obsolete and expensive products.
Yeah I'm well aware of that. Not just Isuzu, even Toyota is doing the same. I think every other manufacturer has an Indian variant of their cars. The Indian government's impractical emission norms, coupled with heavy taxes, is forcing them to cut costs and sell at higher prices. If my calculations are right, 48% of the ex showroom price of a 40 lakh+ car goes to the government. What else can we expect from the manufacturers?
JoaTMoN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 14:02   #56

Congrats on your new Isuzu MUX 4wd.
I too read a lot on this forum to make my decision, took lots of test drives, took feedback of one of my friend who used d-max and booked ISUZU MUX 4wd silver on same 22 dec 2022.
Sushil Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 22:23   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Kumar View Post
Congrats on your new Isuzu MUX 4wd.
I too read a lot on this forum to make my decision, took lots of test drives, took feedback of one of my friend who used d-max and booked ISUZU MUX 4wd silver on same 22 dec 2022.
So you're the one who booked the other vehicle. Have you gotten your's yet? I got mine delivered yesterday.
Old 7th January 2023, 23:35   #58

Hi, Mine reached Mumbai day before yesterday, but i am on tour and i will reach mumbai on 18, same day i will do PDC and then RTO will take another 2-3 days before final delivery.

Congrats to you again.
Sushil Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 04:53   #59
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations. It was almost certain that you will end up buying that. It's good to ask others but do what our own heart/ brain says. You

Quote:
they even let me do all the stunts; though the brochure says it can ascend 30° inclines, it ascended and descended a 50°(could even be more) mound like it never existed.
50 Degree slope Are you sure, the most I could find is 45 Degrees for a G-Wagon when I google.

(after 30 seconds)
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 05:14   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Congratulations. It was almost certain that you will end up buying that. It's good to ask others but do what our own heart/ brain says.

50 Degree slope Are you sure, the most I could find is 45 Degrees for a G-Wagon when I google.
Thanks! Yes, everyone helped me understand what I was doing and why. I learnt a lot from both parties- those for, and those against, Mu-X.

Perhaps I was too excited. I'll try and find out the incline of the exact spot and, if possible, take a snap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks