Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2022, 23:06   #1
BHPian

Isuzu MU-X | Should I choose the 4x2 or 4x4? EDIT: Booked the 4x4 variant!

Hello BHPians!

After having enjoyed driving my FWD Renault Duster for 6 years, I decided to upgrade it with a 7 seater diesel SUV. I tried out XUV700, Fortuner, Gloster and MU-x. XUV was fantastic to drive, Fortuner's ride quality wasn't great, Gloster's was second best, and Mu-x's felt perfect, like an all-rounder. Mu-x was also more spacious (especially the 3rd row seats) than the rest, barring the Gloster. I have short-listed Mu-x and Gloster in that order, but I am more inclined towards the Mu-x.

Now comes the problem:
  1. Since it's the year-end, there's only one colour and only 2 vehicles left in the 4x4 Mu-x model.
    Do I force myself into buying one with limited options?
  2. 4x4 is 3.4 Lakhs pricier than 4X2.
    Is the price difference justifiable?
  3. I have driven my FWD Duster in tricky roads less travelled, but never got stuck, except for once in a sandy beach.
    I might never need it, but what if, and when I need it? Will a RWD with AT be as good as MT?
  4. However, the gradeability of 4x2 is 25°, whereas that of 4x4 is 30°
    Is this a good enough difference to base my decision on?

When I started looking for cars, 4wd was my first priority, but now I'm wondering if I should really go for the 4wd, or get the 2wd instead, considering the fact that Mu-x 2wd is RWD, with good ground clearance, so it should be better than the Duster(?). Would that be sufficient, or should I go ahead and get the 4wd for an additional 3.4 lakhs?

Help me decide, I am really confused! Do I get it because I "might" NEED it someday, or do I get it because I just WANT it?
JoaTMoN is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 03:50   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Isuzu MU-X | Should I choose the 4x2 or 4x4? EDIT: Booked the 4x4 variant!

Most 4WD vehicles never really go off road. Most Landrover and Range Rover owners cars for example never see anything rougher than a mall parking lot and are never engaged in any bigger adventure than a school drop. From your post, you like driving to places less travelled, even occasionally. You have experienced a front wheel drive high ground clearance SUV in the form of the Duster.
Now you are being terribly tempted by the tantalising capabilities of a multi utility RWD 4WD truck based SUV.
My view is that if you can afford it and if you want it, you should buy it.

If it helps you here is an anecdote;

I have a Thar and a Gypsy. The maximum adventures I get up to are;
1. Driving in Bangalore Traffic.
2. Driving to golf courses and back.
3. Visiting friends on their estates in Coorg or Ooty or similar.

Once in a while just to give the Thar and Gypsy’s 4WD systems a workout, I find myself hunting up some small muddy trails to traverse.

Point is, if you want something, can afford it and it makes you happy, then you must go for it. Dont live a life with regrets in it.

All the very Best!
shankar.balan is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 06:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

A proper off-roader, being used off-road, is also a regular family car. This is an oxymoron.

Like Shankar said, most 4x4 rarely go off-roading. If you really want to get a 4x4 suggest you first ride shotgun in a 4x4 event, in a proper off-road vehicle. See what happens, what is involved, and the damage like wear & tear that happens to the vehicles.

For most folks, a high GC vehicle with traction control, and may be a LSD at rear, will be enough for most adventures they will go on with family.
condor is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 07:27   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
From your post, you like driving to places less travelled, even occasionally. You have experienced a front wheel drive high ground clearance SUV in the form of the Duster.
Yeah, I sure do, though I haven't experienced a rwd or a 4wd's capabilities that much, so I do not know what difference it makes.

Quote:
Now you are being terribly tempted by the tantalising capabilities of a multi utility RWD 4WD truck based SUV.
My view is that if you can afford it and if you want it, you should buy it.
You're reading my mind.

Quote:
Point is, if you want something, can afford it and it makes you happy, then you must go for it. Dont live a life with regrets in it.
Affordability isn't the problem here. I'm just unable to convince myself whether I should make my decision treating 4wd capabilities like an emergency tool or as an utility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If you really want to get a 4x4 suggest you first ride shotgun in a 4x4 event, in a proper off-road vehicle. See what happens, what is involved, and the damage like wear & tear that happens to the vehicles.
The Isuzu test drive vehicle I was in was a 4wd, and they let me do some mild off-road driving like driving in slush. They even allowed me to drift the vehicle 180° and stuff like that. I loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
For most folks, a high GC vehicle with traction control, and may be a LSD at rear, will be enough for most adventures they will go on with family.
This is probably what caused the confusion. I read somewhere that a RWD with LSD can handle most terrains. In that case, wouldn't it be good enough if I can manage to fit an aftermarket LSD on a RWD SUV with good ground clearance, rather than spend 3.5 lakhs on a feature if (and only if) other options are available?
JoaTMoN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 08:06   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaTMoN View Post
.... but now I'm wondering if I should really go for the 4wd, or get the 2wd instead, ...
4WD is required if you decide to go on expeditions, or hiking mountains etc.. Like explore unknown roads in the monsoons, or go for a long drives through unknown country terrain. It is a life saver.

However, if you are sticking to regular stuff. 2WD is on the MUX should be more than enough..
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 08:33   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Going by past history, you've needed the 4x4 just once on that sandy beach. And it's really not the end of the world if you get stuck. A tractor or Jeep can always pull you out.

Although I personally believe proper SUVs must have 4x4, it's clearly not applicable to your use case. Save the 3.4 lakhs and use it toward fuel, maintenance & modifications / accessories.

A must-read thread - When should you get a 4x4 / AWD (Why should one buy a 4WD (4X4 system)/ AWD as against a 4x2?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Get a 4x4 ONLY if:

- You intend to off-road. This point is applicable to Jeeps, Gypsy (made only in 4x4) and also some SUVs that can handle light off-roading (Fortuner etc.).

- You are going to drive on challenging terrain, including in-existent roads. Someone I know has a property in Lonavla that a 4x2 simply cannot access. You'll just be spinning your wheels in the monsoons. Moderator TSK won't be able to visit 50% of his dream locations with a 4x2. Want to drive on a beach or the desert? Get a 4x4.

- Your city has snow (inapplicable to India)

Else, just get the 4x2 variant and get done with it. No point lugging around additional equipment that will only result in unnecessary weight, loss of fuel efficiency and higher maintenance. Also, you pay 1 lakh more for the 4x4 gear that you'll never use, and never quite recover at the time of resale either.

On a related note, I highly recommend sedans over SUVs for those that don't need 3 rows of seats or that ground clearance : Related Thread
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 08:50   #7
BHPian

If you are not planning to take your ride anywhere that a regular plain jane Innova/Marazzo wouldn't tread, then there's no point carrying along the electronics/mechanicals of a 4WD.

If it is the itch for possessing a 4x4, then go for it no matter what your use could be.
crdi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 08:57   #8
BHPian

I have a 4x4 MU-X and my next vehicle is going to be a 4x2. In last 3.5 years, I have used 4x4 on very few occasions, and that too because I pushed the vehicle into tricky situations (mostly parking in slush or wet grass etc) knowing I had 4x4. In those situations too, I could have "parked" the car elsewhere if I didn't have 4x4. If you not an off-roader, and have managed with FWD, then I don't see a need for 4x4. Save the cash (upfront, fuel and also maintenance and repairs).

I have zero experience with Gloster but I will pick MU-X anyday over Fortuner. My extended family hates Fortuner for its second row comfort. It sucks in headroom as well as ride quality.
Comrade is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 09:03   #9
BHPian

I have a Storme 4x4. In 9 years of ownership, I have probably used 4x4 6 or 7 times. But I would still buy a 4x4 as my next car if possible, because those 7 times were great, and if I can afford it, I would hate to miss out on those 6-7 drives / journeys (including a river crossing in the mountains, a really steep climb, a stuck in the mud situation etc.)
chinkara is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 09:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I have a 4x4 MU-X and my next vehicle is going to be a 4x2. In last 3.5 years, I have used 4x4 on very few occasions, and that too because I pushed the vehicle into tricky situations (mostly parking in slush or wet grass etc) knowing I had 4x4. In those situations too, I could have "parked" the car elsewhere if I didn't have 4x4. If you not an off-roader, and have managed with FWD, then I don't see a need for 4x4. Save the cash (upfront, fuel and also maintenance and repairs).

I have zero experience with Gloster but I will pick MU-X anyday over Fortuner. My extended family hates Fortuner for its second row comfort. It sucks in headroom as well as ride quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
I have a Storme 4x4. In 9 years of ownership, I have probably used 4x4 6 or 7 times. But I would still buy a 4x4 as my next car if possible, because those 7 times were great, and if I can afford it, I would hate to miss out on those 6-7 drives / journeys (including a river crossing in the mountains, a really steep climb, a stuck in the mud situation etc.)
Both of you are not helping me here. You're only making matters worse!
JoaTMoN is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 10:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Help me decide, I am really confused! Do I get it because I "might" NEED it someday, or do I get it because I just WANT it?
I have been driving a RWD Hexa AT for close to 1 L kms and have driven it on some really challenging terrains, including few really long drives. I never got struck. There were few instances where the car really struggled, but was able to escape without any assistance.

Few of instances were very simple, but can be termed as close call :
  • Descended a muddy trail at 11 PM to find that there is no place to turn the vehicle, being RWD AT, climbing in reverse failed multiple times. Had to use momentum and came up after multiple failed attempts.
  • Second one was in one of the muddy roads of Chikkamagalur. Got off the road to let a bus from opposite side pass, without realizing it was sticky mud and had to do a lot of drama to come out.

There were many similar occurrences and I was plain lucky to get out.

4X4 capability is not only limited to hills and beaches, you never know when it will be needed. I would suggest you to invest those ~3 lacs in a variant equipped with 4X4, unless you are on a very tight budget. (I assume this is not the case as you have already decided on MuX )

My current ride, Fortuner 4X4, does much better than Hexa in gravel and slippery roads on 4H. There are no wheelspins and unintended drifting !

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 18th November 2022 at 10:27.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 14:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I started looking for cars, 4wd was my first priority, but now I'm wondering if I should really go for the 4wd, or get the 2wd instead, considering the fact that Mu-x 2wd is RWD, with good ground clearance, so it should be better than the Duster(?). Would that be sufficient, or should I go ahead and get the 4wd for an additional 3.4 lakhs?

If you are the one that often ventures off into unknown and off the beaten track 4x4 is good to have. Like insurance you don't need it till you need it and when you need it and you don't have it you'd wish you had it.

Apart from that what is the fun/point in owning a proper (read that as traditional body on frame, with robust running gear) SUV without 4x4?
Sankar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 17:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have short-listed Mu-x and Gloster in that order, but I am more inclined towards the Mu-x.
There are already quite a few responses on the 4x4 vs 4x2 dilemma, so I won't go down that path. I would, however, request you to reconsider your decision regarding the MU-X given that:

a) Isuzu dealer network is very very sparse, which could be an issue especially if you are into cross-country drives

b) A 1,900 cc engine sounds puny to say the least, for such a heavy machine

c) Resale would be pathetic

If ride-quality is your topmost priority and you are ready to forego everything else for the same, then it might make some sense to go for the MU-X. On a related note, if ride quality is a key criteria for you and you are not intent on a 4x4 then why not look at some of the monocoque crossovers, which would be much more comfortable than any ladder-frame SUV any day.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th November 2022 at 19:59. Reason: Typo
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 20:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
There are already quite a few responses on the 4x4 vs 4x2 dilemma, so I won't go down that path. I would, however, request you to reconsider your decision regarding the MU-X given that:

a) Isuzu dealer network is very very sparse, which could be an issue especially if you are into cross-country drives
I am well aware of that. However, I am never planning a cross-country drive, as of now, or in the near-future. I have a little bit of confidence in service support, as my previous 2 cars, although from different Brands, were purchased from the same Dealership chain at 2 different cities. Had my Chevy for 8 years, and now, Duster for 6 years, and never had issues with service support.

Quote:
b) A 1,900 cc engine sounds puny to say the least, for such a heavy machine
I'm not an expert, but my Duster is just a 85ps diesel engine, and I never felt handicapped by its engine power (or the lack of it). Of course, with all the heavy weight, Mu-x could be underpowered, but I don't see it to be a problem, at least based on my current experience. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
c) Resale would be pathetic
I don't view depreciating assets wearing investment glasses. I have never bought any of my vehicles with resale value in mind.

Quote:
If ride-quality is your topmost priority and you are ready to forego everything else for the same, then it might make some sense to go for the MU-X. On a related note, if ride quality is a key criteria for you and you are not intent on a 4x4 then why not look at some of the monocoque crossovers, which would be much more comfortable then any ladder-frame SUV any day.
I did love XUV700's ride quality, but none of the 7 seater vehicles other than Mu-x and Gloster have reasonable space in all 3 rows, as well as a mentionable boot space with all rows up. Boot space in XUV700 and Scorpio-N were non-existent, which was a deal-breaker. Moreover, I think XUV700 is an AWD vehicle. I prefer a RWD or a 4WD vehicle.

Having said that, I would still consider an alternative to Mu-X, if one was available, matching the criteria I have mentioned above. Do you have any recommendations?
JoaTMoN is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 07:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Having said that, I would still consider an alternative to Mu-X, if one was available, matching the criteria I have mentioned above. Do you have any recommendations?
Unfortunately, the 40 -50 L SUV / Crossover space is not very crowded.
Options you have are Fortuner, Gloster, MUX, Hilux, Kodiaq and the new Hyundai Tucson. And since you are looking only at BoF RWD, Kodiaq and Tucson won’t fit the bill.

On resale, I understand it may not be a primary criteria while buying. But, the losses are significantly high for non-mainstream brands.

For example, I got 4 to 5 Lacs lesser while selling my Hexa, compared to Innova of same age and mileage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks