Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2022, 22:06   #1
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT Diesel or 4x2 AT Petrol?

yeah, yeah, I know what’s everyone gonna say. 4x4 AT Fortuner. That was my suggestion too. So let me start from the beginning; my father, who isn't a car enthusiast, suddenly drops a plan on the family that he’s going to buy a Toyota Fortuner for travelling purposes and to go to health campsites.

My dad’s 65 years old and has a Polo (2013), which I drive most of the time. He’s usually chauffeured around in my mom’s Honda City ZX CVT (2017). So, naturally, after the announcement, I got excited and asked him which one are you buying, and he was like show me which we’ll be better. I immediately showed him the 4x4 AT diesel with the power and torque figures, and he said it sounded fine and booked on in phantom brown colour since my mom won't allow a black car in the family (superstitious). Following this, he booked the car with a token amount of One lakh and the waiting period was around three months. We were expecting the car in January.

Then after a few days, my father’s elder brother came to visit and started on and on about diesel engines ending and the petrol engine will be better. Another senior doctor, a friend of my dad, said the same things and gave the example of Delhi about the ten-year limit and how it can happen in Assam anytime soon. I didn’t know that these conversations were going behind my back.

Today, I casually called the Toyota dealer to ask about the car, if it was coming any sooner and guess what I heard “ Sir, you’re booking has been modified, and now your waiting period has been extended to six months since you’ve changed the booking to Fortuner 4x4 AT petrol”, and I was like what? There is no Fortuner 4x4AT petrol. And what just happened? I went home and confronted my dad and my father’s elder brother, and they wouldn’t listen to me anymore.

They want a petrol Fortuner now, that too in 4x4 AT. I had nothing more to say. Not my money, I thought and got up and got back to my room and started writing this forum to know about you guys’ opinions. Honestly, I'm disappointed, but frankly, There’s nothing to do, or I’ll disrespect the family's elders. Let me know in the discussions if you think some of this makes any sense, and thanks for listening.

Mod Note - Poorly written, proofread before posting

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd December 2022 at 08:08. Reason: Grammar, spacing, spell, capitalisation.
Gorkey is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 3rd December 2022, 00:03   #2

re: Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT Diesel or 4x2 AT Petrol?

I feel sad for you but neither you Father is completely wrong. It's our misfortune and government's decision for which we all diesel heads are suffering. I am not really sure if petrol fortuner is offered with a 4wd drivetrain, just checked the website, there isn't any 4wd petrol option which I could see.

Well, what I think is that if your family is so much willing for a petrol automatic, going for a big brawny BOF SUV won't make much sense. First of all, the petrol engine never very well with the Fort, I can't remember any successful capable petrol SUV in India (talking about true blue SUVs). Grand Vitara and CR-V never sold in good number coz they lacked the grunt SUVs need and buyers crave for. And you are opting for the automatic version, better you carry 2 jerry cans of petrol with you, a petrol auto Fort is going to be a guzzler. Even if you don't mind poor mileage figures, a petrol would also not give the grunt you would wish to have while driving a 2 tonner.

I would suggest you that either you go for the diesel fortuner, because I don't think NGT rules are anywhere coming in Assam, they are not implemented in cities like Bangalore, Mumbai and Kolkata. Assam is one of the least polluted states in India. And even if you feel a hint of it coming, in India you can sell a fortuner under an hour at good price, its such a popular car here.

Well, even still if you don't want to get a diesel, I would suggest you to look for more options as well. You can get fantastic petrol sedan at that price bracket if you wish to get one. My suggestion is that if you wish to go for petrol, get a car with which a petrol engine mates well

hope the best for you, happy ownership!
Indraneil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 09:47   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no sense in buying the petrol Fortuner now. The 2.7 NA engine, the reliable workhorse that it is, is on its way out. It offers average performance, nowhere close to the diesel, along with scary bad fuel efficiency in city conditions. There isn’t much to like here. Only a matter of time before this engine is replaced by the new hybrid powertrain from the upcoming new Innova.

Fortuner = diesel. Period.
At least for this generation of the Fortuner.
The fact that you are not based in Delhi NCR makes this an easy call.

Also, there is no 4x4 petrol Fortuner. Only 4x2.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 3rd December 2022 at 10:16.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 10:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

One suggestion: get him to drive the petrol and the diesel back-to-back. Also show him that there is no 4x4 petrol version - and that if he wants a 4x4, it has to be diesel only.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 19:26   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

None, and be happy that you haven't gotten a Fortuner yet. For a 65-year old, it's a terrible choice. One has to climb into it, the ride is continuously bumpy & busy, and refinement levels are not exactly 50-lakh rupee good.

Change the booking to one for the Innova Hycross Hybrid . Our review will be up on the 6th. It is perfectly suited to his purpose & way more comfortable.
GTO is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 10:35   #6
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT Diesel or 4x2 AT Petrol?

Yep, 100% with GTO. Innova Hycross makes the most sense, unless you really need a 4-wheel drive.

Maybe a Tiguan or a Kodiak also makes sense (only because your is father leaning towards petrol and AWD).

Last edited by inwester : 6th December 2022 at 10:36.
inwester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 10:59   #7
BHPian

After driving the New Fortuner for 22 Months, 4X4 AT and I think it is a wonderful Vehicle with a list of Caveats. Some of them are here:

1) Not an ideal vehicle for older folks as getting in and out is a task. Whereas in Innova it is easy and I know this because we have both vehicles.
2) The ride quality is on the firm side, Innova is much better. Even my 10 year old Storme handles the rough stuff in much more comfort.
3) It is a big car and getting it around corners(Parking lots, society parkings etc.) is a task and you master it with time.
4) There are cars providing better interiors and features even with a ~30L lower price tag.

Pick Fortuner if:

1) You want a car with a good road presence
2) Robust vehicle that can handle rough stuff with ease
3) Too much travel at off beaten places with peace of mind
4) Like the power and torque of new Diesel engine
5) You want to drive it yourself as the driver seat is the best place to be in a Fortuner

Now the million dollar question, will I trade my Fortuner for any other vehicle in India? Yes, I will and it will be the LC 300 . But, if 4wd is not something you need(not want), go for Innova Hycross as in my opinion a Petrol Fortuner does not make sense when we see alternatives in that price bracket.

Thanks,
Slushmaster
Slushmaster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 12:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

No point in arguing with headstrong people who believe they are always right. A fortuner is a terrible choice for a 65 year old man, especially one that is used to being chaffeured around in a honda city. That ugly choice of paint + being a petrol will also affect resale really badly when he tries to get rid of it in a few months, especially since the next generation fortuner will be launched by december next year. Aka a few months after you take delivery paying full price for a soon to be outdated model.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 13:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

If its Delhi NCR, may be 4x2 AT makes sense. Since your father is not an enthusiasts, 2.7NA is good for sedate driving at the same time its robust and abuse friendly. Not having to sell at 10year mark is a bonus. If not in NCR, diesel is an easy pick. 4x4 may not be used most of time for your use case, but treat it like a recovery gear, which is important for this heavy truck. Also after 4x4, I can confidently say, you will end up exploring places more than what you would have done an a 4x2.

If your dad is not used to body on frame, will take some time getting used to. The facelift offers good balance of ride for highway and low speed. While brand new one, you may find bit stiff, after 20K on ODO, dampers have settled down and ride has improved significantly. Personally, I would have preferred stiffer setup of pre-facelift for highway driving, but current one offers a perfect balance. That said everyone has their preference when it comes to ride comfort and is more than just stiff suspension. Me and family find soft suspension too discomforting as it gets annoying on highway with vertical and lateral movements(ex: Gloster, 2.0L Endeavour). A lot has to do with what you are used to and what I find comfortable may not be for you. Since your previous rides are Polo/City, would recommend you to take longish drive of Fortuner before finalizing on Engine. And yes for now there is no 4x4 option with Petrol in Fortuner.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 13:24   #10
BHPian

4*4 petrol AT sounds like Apple S22 Ultra! My first thought was exactly that of GTOs; why a Fortuner? At his age, a vehicle like a CSUV makes sense. Easy ingress and good driving position. I opt for Taigun/Kushal, or if you want a segment above, Kodiaq.
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 14:57   #11
BHPian

Full agree with GTO. I have a diesel Fortuner 2021 and I can very safely say that it is not for a 65 year old gentleman.

You can absolutely have fun with that car if you are < 50 or 55 or younger.
raghukodali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 16:07   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

My father retired early (One can call him lazy or perhaps he has earned it), so when he bought a Scorpio it looked like a bad taste. However he no longer drives, the driver does and he started following his passion in different things that takes him way out of the comfort of good roads.

My father will happily sit for 600 Kms a day, asks the driver to take him to 'Youtube' fame eateries in remote places while doing that all day travel, all in all the vehicle has changed the way he was and how he travels!

Also he does not like to travel in any other vehicle, no train, no bus, no flight, that front seat is where he belongs.

So go ahead, I am sure he has earned what he wants.
Kosfactor is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 18:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indraneil View Post
I feel sad for you but neither you Father is completely wrong. It's our misfortune and government's decision for which we all diesel heads are suffering. I am not really sure if petrol fortuner is offered with a 4wd drivetrain, just checked the website, there isn't any 4wd petrol option which I could see.
Won’t really be a happy ownership if its a petrol. My family doesn’t give a hoot about my opinion now. They don’t know about the car too. Heard somewhere about the Fortuner and hence the mess. Thanks for the help though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
There is no sense in buying the petrol Fortuner now. The 2.7 NA engine, the reliable workhorse that it is, is on its way out. It offers average performance, nowhere close to the diesel, along with scary bad fuel efficiency in city conditions. There isn’t much to like here. Only a matter of time before this engine is replaced by the new hybrid powertrain from the upcoming new Innova.
I know. But who’s gonna explain that to my stubborn parents and the guys who put the idea of a petrol in a 2 tonne SUV. The petrol 2.7 NA is booked for now with a waiting period of 6 months. Hope something changes before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
One suggestion: get him to drive the petrol and the diesel back-to-back. Also show him that there is no 4x4 petrol version - and that if he wants a 4x4, it has to be diesel only.
He’ll be chauffeur driven. He hardly drives the Polo. I wanted the 4x4. He just wants a Fortuner whatever engine that may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
None, and be happy that you haven't gotten a Fortuner yet. For a 65-year old, it's a terrible choice. One has to climb into it, the ride is continuously bumpy & busy, and refinement levels are not exactly 50-lakh rupee good.

Change the booking to one for the Innova Hycross Hybrid . Our review will be up on the 6th. It is perfectly suited to his purpose & way more comfortable.
I didn’t suggest the Fortuner at all. My father came up with it. And TBH I was surprised. My family ain’t really a car family. And most of the time they’re chauffeur driven. Don’t know who put the idea in his mind but all I did was suggest the 4X4 diesel auto since he was buying it anyway. I don’t think he’s gonna go for the Innova. He maybe 65 but doesn’t like to think so. I know the Innova Hycross will be a better option but that idea wont get into the stubborn minds of my family. Was excited about getting a 4x4 butch SUV in the house but after all that’s happened I’m better off not providing any more suggestions. Wish my dad was a TBHP follower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
Yep, 100% with GTO. Innova Hycross makes the most sense, unless you really need a 4-wheel drive.

Maybe a Tiguan or a Kodiak also makes sense (only because your is father leaning towards petrol and AWD).
We don’t actually need a 4WD. Yeah I know. But i doubt that decision will actually change. I guess we’re getting the gas guzzler after all. Sigh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
My father retired early (One can call him lazy or perhaps he has earned it), so when he bought a Scorpio it looked like a bad taste. However he no longer drives, the driver does and he started following his passion in different things that takes him way out of the comfort of good roads.
He has definitely earned what he wants. But wont he be better off in the diesel? I know all I can do is suggest, but is it not a good suggestion? Drive around with a driver to wherever you wanna go. And as someone said earlier, 4x4 can be used as a recovery tool if a 2 tonne SUV gets stuck somewhere remote. I’m 26 years old now and its not like the car’s for me. my suggestions don’t mean anything for the family. I guess I’m too young and naive.

Mod Notes:

1. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

2. Please capitalise the sentences as necessary.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th December 2022 at 10:26. Reason: Please read the moderator’s notes above.
Gorkey is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th December 2022, 22:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkey View Post
he has definitely earned what he wants. but wont he be better off in the diesel? I know all I can do is suggest, but is it not a good suggestion? drive around with a driver to wherever you wanna go. and as someone said earlier, 4x4 can be used as a recovery tool if a 2 tonne SUV gets stuck somewhere remote. i m 26 years old now. and its not like the car’s for me. my suggestions don’t mean anything for the family. I guess im too young and Naive.
I think this is exactly where this discussion within and outside the family needs to settle down. You're definitely young, but naivety is not a disadvantage and maybe a neutral perspective just might make more sense of your father's decision.

Firstly, the gentleman after all his years of hard work has "earned" the right to decide for himself. The petrol is a very reliable, proven engine with no frills and if he's not going to drive it himself, then he won't be missing the addictive diesel power and torque. So, all the more reason for him to go for Petrol as this would save him a lot of money upfront as well. Cost difference between 4x2 Petrol and 4x4 Diesel in most cities would be north of 8+ lakh rupees which is a significant cost difference and if his usage is not going to be very high, it'll take him years to recover the diesel premium.

Secondly, continuous DPF failures of the diesel mill are also a deterrent unless one is totally stuck on getting the diesel.

Thirdly, inspite of all the wonderful and practical suggestions that you, myself or our esteemed team members here can provide, who knows that what he's really looking for in his car can only be sought in the Fortuner - the massive road presence and bulk that goes with it...... "tashan" as we call it, and why not!

Fourthly, if not all, at least majority of 4x4 buyers do not really use the capability more than 10% during the entire lifetime of the car.

Lastly, with diesel already having been made out to be the "bad" fuel, we don't know what's coming in the form of regulations in the coming years pan India, so petrol is definitely a safer choice.

Last edited by Revvman : 6th December 2022 at 23:00.
Revvman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 04:34   #15

Fortuner petrol is not a good choice for sure. Infact fortuner is not a good choice for a 65year old guy. Ride is too bumpy. Innova hycross hybrid is the way to go in the segment. Looks have definately improved and so does the interior. Book one before the waiting period goes to insane level
Unfazed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks