Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2023, 11:18   #31
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for an SUV as the secondary car | For road trips | <40 lakh rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
I still don't understand how the Gloster, Hycross or Crysta is a right comparison to Tucson. The target segments are completely different and probably they overlap each other by say 10%. Yes I agree with Compass. But a Hyundai is any day a safer and better bet than a Jeep in India. Also Compass is the only high volume model in Jeep while it's not the case with Hyundai. Please also note that Tucson is a CKD while Compass is not.
Hi, "Hyundai is any day safer and better bet" is definitely the reason why most of don't think twice before buying a Maruti.

Although we are going off topic in this thread but my last message on this debate is Tucson is fantastic product and those who like it should buy it.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for an SUV as the secondary car | For road trips | <40 lakh rupees-tucson-vs-others.jpg  

Old 15th May 2023, 15:34   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for an SUV as the secondary car | For road trips | <40 lakh rupees

In a very similar boat, with the exception that it needs to be a more chauffeur driven choice and I have to be honest - the Tucson is a top contender for me and maybe you also!

1) It is a new generation, so will not feel dated super quickly.
2) Good ride and handling : You have the Polo for fun, this is a good balanced option for highway and city cruising.
3) Safety, features, etc. are right up there as well - not much to complain about.

In your case, since you are a happy VW Camper, you could consider the Kodiaq / Tiguan as well and even the Citroen C5 unless you need more legroom.

I am not too thrilled by the niggles, average engine and gearbox combo, ridiculously high price of the Jeep Compass; the utilitarian nature of the HyCross : it will last forever and is a great chauffeur driven choice but it doesn't feel fresh, well built, or value for money and is more of a Plan B; etc.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 18:06   #33
BHPian

What is the real world city and highway mileage for the petrol Tucson?
Old 21st May 2023, 12:44   #34
BHPian

If reliability is your priority, the XUV700 outshines the Harrier. Meanwhile, the Tucson and Compass offer great automatic options.

XUV700: A reliable standout with solid build quality and advanced safety features.
Harrier: Competent but has had past reliability concerns.
Tucson: Excellent automatic option with Hyundai's reputation for reliability.
Compass: Balanced choice, delivering a well-rounded driving experience.
Bala02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 00:51   #35
BHPian

I would recommend the Tucson. I don’t think there is better package in this price range.

I was reading some news about Hyundai and Kia using the trade deal between South Korea and India to get stuff imported in India with less duties. I guess if this deal wasn’t there, the Tucson would cost a little more (assuming Hyundai kept its margins).
gary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 18:27   #36

As a lot of the other members have pointed out, my vote goes for the M&M XUV700. I own a 2014 XUV500 AWD W8 and it has been a comfy and trusted ride. Yes, fold the 3rd row (or remove them entirely) for the most luggage space.
Old 23rd May 2023, 13:38   #37

Since you have shortlisted 3, i would not like to add something else and confuse you more.

Compass is a great car but your two major requirements Rear seat space and safety kind of rules it out compared to the other two.

Harrier again great car but boot space is much lesser when you look at it realtively given the size of the vehicle. To give you perspective it's similar or smaller than cretas boot space.

Hyundai Tucson is what i would go for and recommend considering you requirements and priorities.

Happy mile munching!!
appupandya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 21:17   #38
BHPian

Go for the Tucson Hyundai’s peaceful long term user experience.

and if you can stretch your budget a little then VW Tiguan. Gem of an engine from the VW stable the 2 liter TSI. Superb package overall
raghuveerk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 01:29   #39
BHPian

I would recommend the Tucson. The interiors are well appointed, it gets all the gizmo features including the modern ADAS tech. The rear feels spacious. The engine-gearbox combo is well-tuned and once the turbo kicks in, you’ll have a wide smile on your face! Plus the neighbours will surely admire its distinctive styling.

The Compass, while it’s very handsome on the inside is not roomy, especially if you have people sitting in the rear often. Add to that, the Compass’ automatic performance isn’t that great compared to the Tucsons’ IMO.

If you can stretch your budget, I’d say the Kodiaq would be the best option. It gives the entry-level Germans a run for their money.
Auto spawn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 14:06   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
Hi Akshye -

I may be completed wrong in my assumption, but I do not suggest Tucson (to anybody) because it has consistently been a very low selling Hyundai product and Hyundai may not be selling it say after 2 years from now. This is Tucson fate in every generation since it was launched in India.

All the best for your search.
The fact that Tucson is one of the best selling cars in the world speaks volumes about its capability. CRV was also one product that didn’t click here but is one of the best selling vehicles in the world.

Sale numbers in India is a unique proposition and some of the worst cars have good sales numbers. Few Maruti ones are in that list while being worst in quality and safety benchmarks.

Tucson should be a strong contender in any purchase consideration in that price category. It punches much above it’s weight and comes out a winner.
Old 29th May 2023, 11:10   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
I'll suggest you do what I used to do when my kids were smaller and we used to travel on the Polo. ... Mind you this is a stop gap arrangement till your son grows up or your family expands.
This is the best suggestion among all. Taken!
akshye is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks