Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2023, 15:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for an SUV as the secondary car | For road trips | <40 lakh rupees

Go for Tucson. Look no further. It is comfortable and effortless in roadtrips. It has loads of torque, so overtaking on smaller roads doesn't require a lot of effort/ planning. It has the creature comforts that you listed.
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 17:29   #17
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for an SUV as the secondary car | For road trips | <40 lakh rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post
Hence I was then inclined towards SUVs. Thankfully, our market has a lot to offer in that segment. To be honest, I'm unable to make up my mind about what to go for. Also, since my requirements are long journey oriented, just a test drive is not going to serve the purpose. Hence, looking for opinions based on the user experience of the owners of the cars in the list. Additional suggestions are welcome too.
I will like to add one more car to your evaluation. If you are ok to extend till Tuscon, why not look at BYD Atto 3. It is a good car with sure shot 400 km range. Currently the best battery pack available in India. And it has Vehicle to load feature as well which means you can power your appliances from your car so it acts as an inverter.
Old 12th May 2023, 18:24   #18
BHPian

I would suggest, if you and your family feel comfortable sitting in Compass (asking because Compass might seem to be side-wise cramped for broader built people), then go for diesel version of it. Reasons:
1. Very stable engine
2. Very safe
3. Good firm ride, good for both speed as well as rough roads
4. Comfortable and splush interior, you would not feel anything cheap

Now in terms of variant, you choose based on your need of luxury features or 4x4 etc., accordingly the price would vary.

In case, you need more wide sitting space than Compass, consider Harrier, if not 4x4 is a need for you, as Harrier does not come with AWD.

Tuscon is more of a feature loaded car than of carefree type. If you are coming from Polo, I bet you would love Compass's dynamics the most.

Honestly, I am now owning a Compass after owning a Polo 1.6 petrol and then a Polo 1.0 TSI and I am loving it.
d2krish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 19:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Needs:
  • A comfortable car for long journeys. Need not be a driver's car, since Polo satisfies that need
  • Safe - Every safety feature counts - ABS, ESP, structural integrity, features for ease of parking, and off-course NCAP rating
  • Good ground clearance and capable of running on unpaved roads
  • Creature comforts - including cooled seats, a sunroof (for those one-and-a-half passengers), etc.
  • Large boot space to carry more luggage than the two and half need
  • Auto gearbox - no MT/AMT/IMT etc.
Need nots:
  • No 6/7-seater - my spouse thinks those are tourist cars. Plus I don't want 3rd row to consume space when I don't have a need for it
  • No MUV/MPV - neither of us like them
Not so sure:

Contenders:

This is all I have on my list for now. I have decided to buy a new car in 2024.
Well, what you've mentioned is a generic list of requirements. Unfortunately, to add to your conundrum, all the cars from Creta (20L) to X1/Q3/XC40 (60L) will satisfy almost all of your requirements. Again economically, diesel makes sense only if your monthly drive is high. Diesel also comes with DPF problems which definitely needs appropriate continuous highway/high speed drives to get rid of it (or) escape it.

Well, personally, I have extensive experience in both Tucson as well as Harrier. However, there are pros and cons in both (just like any car).

I was in your position 6 months back but in a different state of mind. Here is my thread if this may help you, https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...-tucson-4.html (Sold my lemon Tata Harrier | What car next? EDIT: Bought Hyundai Tucson)

Since you are planning your purchase in 2024 only, you have enough time to take extensive test drives of every option/model, especially one segment lower and one segment higher than your budget. This gives you a first hand experience and understanding of how the car fits/suits you.

So arrive at your budget range, usage (monthly odo range), etc. and take extensive test drives (including plus and minus one) in your budget and finally, then lets discuss about the pros and cons of all the options.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 20:22   #20
BHPian

Hi Akshye,

I would endorse what quite a few others have already suggested and recommend that you consider a XUV-700.

If I were in the market today to purchase an SUV for driving on highways and to remote locations, this is the one I would pick. The vehicle is robust, competent and has an extensive feature list. It comes from a manufacturer that puts out tough as nails vehicles and their vehicles have niggles but they last and are dependable.

Several of my colleagues own this vehicle and they uniformly sing its praises. They have driven significant distances with family and have enjoyed the drives.

The vehicle is also out of the customary Mahindra Beta testing period and you should find a much more refined product when you take delivery

There’s a reason why the XUV 700 still has a waiting list while most contemporaneous launches are available off the shelf. It’s a well rounded product and more than justifies the time and patience you will have to invest.

All the best in your search and I hope you find the SUV of your dreams!
sassid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 21:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Since you have the budget, you can obviously go for Tucson but the question is, are you ok with diesel?

Harrier is a very good car but we haven’t seen its safety ratings. XUV700 on the other hand boasts of 5 star safety. Again both prefer sipping diesel.

As GTO mentioned, do consider Innova hycross if diesel is ruled out and you can live with its MPV side profile.

Sadly no other options in this range as most options are in diesel
Old 12th May 2023, 22:49   #22
BHPian

Here are my recommendations

1. Jimny - a great product that stands out from the dull cars of today. Satisfies pretty much all your requirements. Only downside would be with respect to safety. However, I would recommend checking it out before coming to any conclusions.

2. Citroen C5 - best car in the segment. I don’t really see any issues with it other than Citroen being a new player here with a small network. Definitely the underdog here and a worthy contender.

3. Grand Vittara - If you are looking for an appliance like car just to go from point A to point B, I guess this is it.

4. Hyundai Tucson - Generally I don’t like Korean cars and feel they are characterless vehicles. However, Tucson being a global product and bestseller for Hyundai globally, I am forced to recommend it as well. Have read experiences of people who have traded big three germans for it and liking it. Definitely worth checking out.

About the Diesel fear - As for current DPF issues, it’s most definitely a concern. About the ban of diesel vehicles, I don’t think it can be executed.

Firstly, diesel is the backbone of our country’s supply chain. Right from transporting vegetables to heavy machinery, and we heavily rely on diesel trucks. It is obvious that the diesel ban would be a catastrophe to our economy. Moreover, a nationwide diesel ban would not be feasible in my humble opinion. The discarded vehicles will have no place to go and our scrapyards can’t handle that kind of a load one fine day. The only reason the current bans work in Delhi is because of spillover effect where the vehicles are sold to other states. However, with diesel ban in the country, this can’t happen.

Personally, I think large industries are responsible for far higher pollution than from diesel cars. Maybe regulating those would prove to be a better way to control emissions. Say if the top ten polluting industries were to cut their emissions by 20 percent or so, we all can drive V8s without second thoughts.
cefiljoseph is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 00:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
I may be completed wrong in my assumption, but I do not suggest Tucson (to anybody) because it has consistently been a very low selling Hyundai product and Hyundai may not be selling it say after 2 years from now. This is Tucson fate in every generation since it was launched in India.
If a car is good, even it fails, why should one be worried?
If parts are the issue then any car in that price range have sales similar to Tuscon numbers.

I believe it's a brilliant car with the latest gadgets and great safety ratings. With Hyundai as the brand one doesn't need to be worried for the after sales service as well which is one point above the other cars in the segment.
Old 13th May 2023, 07:23   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

@akshye:

From the Standpoints of Only Safety, Comfort and Go-nearly-anywhere-grand-touring.

Brand New:
1. Jeep Compass is an excellent option.
2. Hyundai Tucson is fantastic because this vehicle was envisaged and built for the EU, not for us poor cost conscious South Asians.
3. Toyota Hycross - looks excellent and is really comfy.
4. Scorpio N (2WD AT) with the last row of rear seats removed completely to make way for luggage.
5. XUV 700 again with the last row of rear seats removed completely to make way for luggage.

Pre-Owned:
1. Mercedes GLC
2. Mercedes ML250
3. BMW X3
4. BMW X1
5. BMW GT
6. Audi Q5
7. Hyundai Santa Fe
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 08:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but no. Polo is a keeper. It's done ~30k kms in about 1.3 years. But I won't part with it.
I purchased Polo with a determination to keep it for at least 10 years, and I'm going to stick to it. So Polo stays.
I'll suggest you do what I used to do when my kids were smaller and we used to travel on the Polo. The front passenger seat if pushed to the front to maximum possible extent. Your wife sits in the rear seat on the left side and your son doesn't feel all alone. Mind you this is a stop gap arrangement till your son grows up or your family expands.
One more thing - Once you are used to a drivers' car, you can't go with anything else , even more so on long trips where you get to enjoy the curves and high speed dynamics. Get a bigger driver's car- test drive them all with your family and get one which you like. I guess your wife drives too - ask her to drive the cars too to see if she is comfortable and likes them. I had the polo for 7 years and have now exchanged it for a Taigun 1.0 AT ( reason - no space for 2 adults and 2 fast growing boys).
sunsetorange is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 09:07   #26
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I was also looking for a comfortable 5 seater (new car only) with decent luggage space for road trips and the cars you have listed were also on my list of contenders, but I decided on the Harrier. Also, I was looking for a car with a torquey Diesel 2.0 L engine since this would probably be my last chance to experience such a vehicle with the impending EV revolution just round the corner. At the same time, I didn't want to spend more than 3 million rupees (30 Lakh INR).
My opinions on the cars which lead to the decision

1. Jeep compass - cannot seat 5 adults comfortably, spares are expensive, not spoilt for choice when it comes to service, doubts about the brand continuing in India.

2. Hyundai Tucson - great car with great features, but way too expensive.

3. XUV 700 - don't need a 7 seater and crazy waiting period of 48+ weeks without much transparency (a close friend had booked in January 2023 and he still sees expected delivery as January 2024 when he logs in to the Mahindra site).

4. Skoda Kodiaq, VW Tiguan - way too expensive and no Diesel on offer.

5. Safari - too big for my needs, has same engine as the Harrier

6. MG Hector - Diesel not available in Auto transmission, otherwise this definitely feels like value for money for the features it offers, also concerns about the brand's strategy in India going forward.

Of course, having had a not too great experience with my Indica V2 after the third year of ownership, I had kind of made up my mind never to buy another Tata car, but all that changed after I saw the Harrier. Another question I had to answer for myself was if I'm ready to spend more than 2 million on a Tata car, and now I've decided Yes

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th May 2023 at 18:38. Reason: edited
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 10:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black.beauty View Post
If a car is good, even it fails, why should one be worried?
If parts are the issue then any car in that price range have sales similar to Tuscon numbers.

I believe it's a brilliant car with the latest gadgets and great safety ratings. With Hyundai as the brand one doesn't need to be worried for the after sales service as well which is one point above the other cars in the segment.
Hi black.beauty - Not defending myself but I would not like to have two discontinued cars in my garage in 2025, specially if I intend to keep my purchase for 10 years or more. My criteria of buying a car / SUV is purely on whether the brand & model worth the money. Tucson is brilliant SUV in isolation but 41 lacs for top trim diesel Tucson and 45 lacs for Fortuner 4x2 AT diesel, in general one will go with Fortuner.

I don't want it to be a debate issue in this thread hence given just my opinion. I think for his specific highway usage, I would still recommend either Toyota HyCross Hybrid either VX(O) or ZX(O) or XUV7OO Diesel AT.
Old 13th May 2023, 18:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hi black.beauty - Not defending myself but I would not like to have two discontinued cars in my garage in 2025, specially if I intend to keep my purchase for 10 years or more. My criteria of buying a car / SUV is purely on whether the brand & model worth the money. Tucson is brilliant SUV in isolation but 41 lacs for top trim diesel Tucson and 45 lacs for Fortuner 4x2 AT diesel, in general one will go with Fortuner.

I don't want it to be a debate issue in this thread hence given just my opinion. I think for his specific highway usage, I would still recommend either Toyota HyCross Hybrid either VX(O) or ZX(O) or XUV7OO Diesel AT.
I dont think its an apple to apple comparison. Fortuner is one exception. Even when the luxurious and enthusiastic Endeavour was sold, its only the Fortuner that topped the sales charts. If it is only the resale value and low maintenance, C5 aircross would never have found takers. Btw Fortuner is not a fun to drive car.

On the other hand, what makes you say that the Tucson will be discontinued in India? Tucson was sold in India from 2004 till 2009-10. Again from 2015-16 till now. Only the 2nd gen (LM) model was not sold in India. In fact, since it is a CKD now, Hyundai should make the most money from Tucson than any other model in its India portfolio. And Tucson commands a waiting period as well. So why will Hyundai stop a cash cow which is in demand? also, what do you compare Tucson with since you also mention that it is a low seller for Hyundai?

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 13th May 2023 at 18:16.
Old 14th May 2023, 13:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
I dont think its an apple to apple comparison. Fortuner is one exception. Even when the luxurious and enthusiastic Endeavour was sold, its only the Fortuner that topped the sales charts. If it is only the resale value and low maintenance, C5 aircross would never have found takers. Btw Fortuner is not a fun to drive car.

On the other hand, what makes you say that the Tucson will be discontinued in India? Tucson was sold in India from 2004 till 2009-10. Again from 2015-16 till now. Only the 2nd gen (LM) model was not sold in India. In fact, since it is a CKD now, Hyundai should make the most money from Tucson than any other model in its India portfolio. And Tucson commands a waiting period as well. So why will Hyundai stop a cash cow which is in demand? also, what do you compare Tucson with since you also mention that it is a low seller for Hyundai?
Hi Livnletcarsliv - I don't know if I did apple to apple comparison but when I look for a car for myself or for my friends / colleagues first thing I see if options available for that particular price bracket (+/- 2 lacs for less than 30 lacs and +/- 5 lacs for above 30 lacs priced vehicles). When I say Tucson is not high selling Hyundai product, I said that basis number of dealers Hyundai have in India (please see the sheet attached).

I would like to point out again, Tucson, in insolation, is a fantastic product, but for the price & perception, it is not as promising as some others around that price, specially the reach Hyundai have in India.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for an SUV as the secondary car | For road trips | <40 lakh rupees-dealers-average-sale.jpg  

GoBabyGo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 21:14   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Livnletcarsliv - I don't know if I did apple to apple comparison but when I look for a car for myself or for my friends / colleagues first thing I see if options available for that particular price bracket (+/- 2 lacs for less than 30 lacs and +/- 5 lacs for above 30 lacs priced vehicles). When I say Tucson is not high selling Hyundai product, I said that basis number of dealers Hyundai have in India (please see the sheet attached).

I would like to point out again, Tucson, in insolation, is a fantastic product, but for the price & perception, it is not as promising as some others around that price, specially the reach Hyundai have in India.
I still don't understand how the Gloster, Hycross or Crysta is a right comparison to Tucson. The target segments are completely different and probably they overlap each other by say 10%. Yes I agree with Compass. But a Hyundai is any day a safer and better bet than a Jeep in India. Also Compass is the only high volume model in Jeep while it's not the case with Hyundai. Please also note that Tucson is a CKD while Compass is not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks