Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2023, 22:32   #46
BHPian

re: Sold my lemon Tata Harrier | What car next? EDIT: Bought Hyundai Tucson

A completely left field suggestion. Have you test driven the MG ZS? According to me, meets all your requirements to the T. Just have a test drive and give it some serious thought afterwards (do not dismiss it without a test drive please).
Cheers!
handsofsteel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 23:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
On a second thought, should I go with the Harrier again?
That's a question only you can answer but I would suggest to use this as an opportunity to explore more options.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 23:17   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
A completely left field suggestion. Have you test driven the MG ZS? According to me, meets all your requirements to the T. Just have a test drive and give it some serious thought afterwards (do not dismiss it without a test drive please).
Cheers!
EV's are still at a nascent stage in India (and the world). EV's alone will not be the future. India is still not EV ready.

ZS EV cannot satisfy/even meet my use case and requirements. It is not a 5 seater (It is 4+1). It is not an enthusiast car. It not a car for long drives and high usage. The cost of ZS EV is approx 50% more than the cost of a ZS Turbo. All these and how does it meet my requirements to the T?

Why EV's will not be the future and why India is not ready for EV's yet are topics of discussion for another thread.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 00:24   #49
BHPian

I believe you should never buy another Tata car until you are convinced of the company's problem handling capabilities. If I am in your shoes, I will not buy another Tata ICE or EV.

That said, If its a reliable product with minimal niggles which you are looking for, go ahead with Toyota. However, if you are willing to take another risk then try the Mahindra products.

End of the day - if your expectations are met no matter how bad or good the car is, I think, one would be satisfied with the purchase.
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 03:58   #50

You value strong performance, reliability to munch a lot of kms and a fuss free after sales experience. Only 1 car comes to my mind for such an all rounded experience which is the Hyundai Tucson 2.0 diesel.

I took a test drive of the diesel Tucson

• Mighty impressed with its strong diesel pull. It does pin you to the seat.
  • Ride is very well cushioned as I didn’t feel the rumble strips at all, went over them like butter. The same rumble strips in my Seltos felt so jiggly.
  • Signature AT is the value pick of the range. Affordable service costs is an added bonus. Since you keep your cars for long, the CKD quality of Tucson will ensure a pleasant ownership experience without rattles and without needing much part replacements.
  • Downsides? steering feel could be better but that’s the case with most cars these days for the ease of twirling. It’s a safe and predictable steering tune though.

Worth 40-43L? Absolutely. It pulls like a locomotive, cushions you over bad roads well, feels very stable on expansion joints (sorted highway ride), has a 5 star NCAP rating, very comfy rear seats and a unique personality on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Sold my lemon Tata Harrier | What car next? EDIT: Bought Hyundai Tucson-2dcc389a2a2f4c659499f167fd158105.jpeg  

Sold my lemon Tata Harrier | What car next? EDIT: Bought Hyundai Tucson-4169a9ff8beb4109a695de560a15b5c6.jpeg  

Sold my lemon Tata Harrier | What car next? EDIT: Bought Hyundai Tucson-23a2ed8ab6e54166bade2712257da0d1.jpeg  

newton_meteor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 06:02   #51
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
2. Fortuner is a good option. However, its difficult to find a pre-worshipped example.
3. Calling Crysta fun to drive is the a big joke. How can a BOF full 7 seater MPV be fun to drive compared to a 5 seater monocoque Harrier? If it is so much fun, then why do enthusiasts not prefer Crysta as a drivers car?
4. While 700 and Scorpio N - both costs almost same, 700 is better in everything compared to Scorpio N for my use case. I am not going to take it off-road as well which again dont justify the 4*4 mechanicals.
2. Yeah, it is a task finding a decent example
3. Well, fun is fun, even with all that body roll
4. Try test driving both 700 and N (petrol variants). Something just might work out.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 06:30   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Given how particular you are about reliability, I suspect that the Innova Hycross is probably the only car that will satisfy you in the long run.

I am not familiar with Mahindras but I doubt they are going to be dramatically more reliable than a Tata. The Innova on the other hand will run and run, give you great economy and probably should be fast as well. Best of luck
This

The Innova Hycross is your best bet currently:
- unmatched toyota reliability
- decent mileage thanks to hybrid
- captain seats offer unmatched comfort all round
- new model has a more suv-ish stance unlike earlier van-like model

Also, since you prefer to hold on to your cars for the long term(10+ years), I would suggest to look at electrics as an option as they’re evolving fast and could serve you well for the long term.

However, since the current crop of electrics are sub-par and would only mature around 2026, you could get a used diesel (with good performance and reliability, around 30 lacs) like the Audi Q5, XC60, Merc GLC until then.

Last edited by evolvo : 9th January 2023 at 06:51. Reason: edited for clarity
evolvo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 09:04   #53
BHPian

After all the pain, you need a break. Please do not go for Mahindra. Still issues are there to be resolved. What you need a painless, smooth riding Tucson. You will never regret. One of the best ride quality, loads and loads of space (we are getting the LWB version), superbly tuned highway performance and last but not least futuristic design which is a head turner for sure. It is well worth the money it asks for. I can not recommend any thing else south of 40 on road. This can beat even Fortuner when it comes to the drive and ride experience.
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 11:52   #54
BHPian

I would say, stick to
- Grand Vitara / Toyota version
- New Hybrid Innova
For couple of years. Do not adventure into unknown territories.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 14:54   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Since I have a beater car to take care of my current needs, I can hold on for a few more months if there are better/other options upcoming like Qashqai, etc.
I can see your budget ~30-40 l and nothing seems value for money.
It might be worthwhile to split the budget over two cars like Thar (Diesel MT) and sedan like a City/Virtus for the family.

Depends purely on whether you travel solo most of the time.

Other option can be an Creta/Alcazar + a smaller peppy thing like a Kiger
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 15:37   #56
BHPian

Go for the Hyundai Tucson trust me you will never regret your decision. I have been using Hyundai cars for the last 15 + years starting from Santro to Tucson 4th Generation never had any major issues.
Mathan1130 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 17:04   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
I would say, stick to
- Grand Vitara / Toyota version
- New Hybrid Innova
For couple of years. Do not adventure into unknown territories.
Even GV/Hyryder/Hycross is also absolutely unknown. Just because it is Toyota, we cannot take it for granted. I also have given my take on these cars in my earlier posts of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
I can see your budget ~30-40 l and nothing seems value for money.
It might be worthwhile to split the budget over two cars like Thar (Diesel MT) and sedan like a City/Virtus for the family.

Depends purely on whether you travel solo most of the time.

Other option can be an Creta/Alcazar + a smaller peppy thing like a Kiger
That will be absolutely insane being the only driver at home. Not using a machine (after buying it) is even worse. Also no parking space for 3 cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathan1130 View Post
Go for the Hyundai Tucson trust me you will never regret your decision. I have been using Hyundai cars for the last 15 + years starting from Santro to Tucson 4th Generation never had any major issues.
Even I am an ex-Hyundai user - i10. I do not have any issues with Hyundai. But it's not about reliability alone. When you don't turn your head to look at the car after parking your car, then either you are blind or it's the wrong car. For Tuscon, it will be the latter for me. I have been following the Tuscon thread even before it was launched in India. I never liked the looks of the car in the first place. I was expecting (I am still) the launch of Sportage. But was disappointed.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 18:30   #58
BHPian

Hi @Livandletcarsliv,
That’s quite a relief you being rid of the lemon from the House of Tata (albeit a tempting product). M&M products while getting better are still not the most reliable/niggle free given your high annual mileage run.

Quote:
Of course it makes sense. I considered 700 only because M&M doesn't have a proper 5 seater like Harrier/Hector. So Safari is out.

While I am ok to live with niggles here and there, my only concern is to live with a lemon (I am not defending Harrier though). There is no niggle free car today which has become the industry norm. Even Toyota's have minor issues/niggles.
Regarding, Hyryder/GV, I guess you did not go through my earlier posts in this thread.
I had been in a similar dilemma, as you really can’t hit the sweet spot of style/design Vs. reliability/enthusiastic ride/handling package in the price range that you are shopping in.

I’d bet you could take your chance with the XUV flagship and the savings you have could go towards mods / upkeep of the vehicle. Else, a wild card entry I’d suggest (since you may not be keen on Superb, being a sedan) would be the Škoda Kodiaq Sportline (would be at the very top of your price range), however, owning a Superb with that sweet 2.0 L TSi gasoline motor, I can assure you that the enthusiast in you will be quite thrilled with the Kodiaq! Crossover guise, and in my opinion better equipped/styled than the VW Tiguan.

(albeit in its wake would take some compromise on the ASS experience depending on your location city, and the long term maintenance / running costs as while the engine’s relatively efficient on the highways with normal driving, crowded city traffic and very enthusiastic driving over a sustained drive time can suddenly make it very thirsty for fuel)

While there are multiple reco-s on the Innova Hycross—not sure what the real-world performance/dynamics of the car would be until we get it out on the roads. Besides both body style and spec wise (those puny tyres) its looks might not to everyone’s taste (should that be a consideration for you).

Let us know what you finally land on. All the best

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th January 2023 at 19:01. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Sen_auto_sation is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 10:36   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Even GV/Hyryder/Hycross is also absolutely unknown. Just because it is Toyota, we cannot take it for granted. I also have given my take on these cars in my earlier posts of this thread.
Sir,
the 1.5L engine in GV and Toyota partial hybrids is suzuki's proven engine since the old baleno, and it also used currently in ciaz, Brezza and others.

The Full hybrid 1.5 has been working hard in Yaris hybrid and other model since ages and has been proven extremely reliable.

The 2.0 Full hybrid new Innova is the D4D engine i guess and does duty on the new corolla outside. It also has been used in many other models and is the Definition of Ultra Reliability. You can blindly buy any of these models in any variation and you will be at peace.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 11:47   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even I am an ex-Hyundai user - i10. I do not have any issues with Hyundai. But it's not about reliability alone. When you don't turn your head to look at the car after parking your car, then either you are blind or it's the wrong car. For Tuscon, it will be the latter for me. I have been following the Tuscon thread even before it was launched in India. I never liked the looks of the car in the first place. I was expecting (I am still) the launch of Sportage. But was disappointed.
This Tuscon is no i10 and in my opinion Hyundai has messed up the pricing of this vehicle - every single time

While they may have expected ADAS to have compensated for the premium, a disruptive product already existed in the market leaving Hyundai with no real USP - I expect long term ownership to be quite expensive.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks