Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2023, 11:13   #31
BANNED

re: Sold my lemon Tata Harrier | What car next? EDIT: Bought Hyundai Tucson

For a former Harrier owner, a diesel is the way to go, so a car with similar engine and perfromance would be the best option. So, the Hector, Compass and maybe a New Harrier (hoping that it's without much niggles) would be the best way to go.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 12:54   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
I have a 2022 XUV 700 D MT. So far, I have driven it for around 25K KMs.

One thing to note:

As an "enthusiast" car, the XUV 700 is really a mixed bag. While the power train is good - bordering sensational, the steering is completely devoid of any feel or feedback.

On the handling front, the XUV is very good in straight lines, and decent on corners - it will wash wide easily if you get carried away with it. The brakes are not that great as well.

On the NVH, the engine noise is well contained, but with longer term usage, I can certainly feel vibrations starting to creep in.

Given that you'd like to hold onto this car for long, and given that you're also looking at the Tiguan, I'd seriously recommend a Fortuner - even a used one. The manual with IMT is a dark horse that doesn't get spoken about much. It makes it very easy to shift, and makes you feel like a pro with its rev-matching feature.

Before deciding on any car, see if you can take a longer term rental, or a friend's car, and try to live with it for a week.
You are absolutely right, a Fortuner also makes sense if I have to choose a Tuscon/Tiguan. If I can live with the size of a 700, the I can very well live with a Fortuner as well. No used car though for 3 reasons - I don't know how to buy a used car, I am not lucky enough that I will get a good one (if a new car can land me in trouble, just imagine a used one), and I am not comfortable using a car that is already used/abused by others. Now this looks like I am stretching my budget (10-15L more) as well which is mostly unlikely to happen.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 13:18   #33

Given the current situation currently, you are in, I would suggest seriously considering Innova Hycross. Toyota's reliability and good after-sales service of Toyota will give you peace of mind for years to come.
akmaintu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 13:35   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
This is what I call ourselves the tamed sheeps and involuntary guinea pigs. It's a very unfortunate state for us as consumers in India where we don't have options to choose from, especially in the last 10 years (No, I am not anti BJP). No offerings/options from desired brands like Nissan, Honda, Ford, Mitsubishi, Renault, GM, Mazda, etc. Poor US.
100%..!! I share the exact same opinion.

The current Indian car market is absolute horse s##t (sorry but there is no better word).

Though your budget is extremely good, you are struggling to find a car that meets your needs. I blame the OEMs for neglecting the Indian market and making fool out of the Indian buyer's by selling us psuedo SUVs.

Do we not deserve good cars..?? Ford Focus RS, Fiesta ST, VW Golf R, Civic Type R, Megane RS, i30N, etc. ..??

Sorry I could help you much but I couldn't stop myself when I read someone sharing my exact view.

All the best and hope you find what you want..!!
Sachin0384 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 14:00   #35
BHPian

Well, I am just adding a perspective here which may/may not help you.

Your Harrier experience has been terrible but if you had even little bit of fun with Harrier during your ownership, you will not be satisfied with anything else in or the next above segment. Your car was a 2019 model which was a WIP model so you were just unlucky.

So please spend enough time while testing other cars because you are an enthusiast and should not happen that you miss the dynamics and driving pleasure of Harrier and feel a compromise and feeling of being stuck with your next car. Had you not been an enthusiast I would not have written this message.

Last edited by steadfast : 8th January 2023 at 14:05.
steadfast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 14:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yedukrishnan199 View Post
For a former Harrier owner, a diesel is the way to go, so a car with similar engine and perfromance would be the best option. So, the Hector, Compass and maybe a New Harrier (hoping that it's without much niggles) would be the best way to go.
I dont mind going with a Petrol also, provided the sacrifice (diesel) I am making should be worth it.

The other problem is the positioning of the car itself. For eg. The ONR cost of a Harrier, Hector and 700 (2wd) top end is 27L, 26L, 29L. Both Tuscon (2wd) and Tiguan (petrol only) top end is 41L. So the CKD models of the same segment are 35% to 40% higher in cost. However its not 35%-40% better car. This shows how uneven and illogical the taxes are and how uncommitted the OEM's are. This doesn't do good for any - Govt, Manufacturer, or Customer.

There is significant gap between 28L to 45L. Not much of options except for Compass/Meridian, C5, Tuscon and Tiguan.

A customer irrespective of the cost is going to buy a car. Govt, should at least let the customer buy a good car and keep it for a longer time instead of changing the car frequently.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 8th January 2023 at 14:21.
Old 8th January 2023, 15:15   #37
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Let me tell you four of the best options in your budget:
1) Used 2018+ Endeavour (most niggles sorted)
2) Used 2017+ Fortuner (even a bad one would be more reliable than Harrier/Fake Safari)
3) Used 2018+ 2.8/2.4 Crysta (who says it's not fun to drive? Lotus Elise owners, maybe)
4) New Scorpio N (petrol or diesel, both are nice)

Let's just say one should never put used cars out of consideration as they are the best value here. Besides, take them to the service center for a full inspection and get the history.

P.S. might as well get the best options as you never know when NGT is going to ban private cars altogether.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 15:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Let me tell you four of the best options in your budget:
1) Used 2018+ Endeavour (most niggles sorted)
2) Used 2017+ Fortuner (even a bad one would be more reliable than Harrier/Fake Safari)
3) Used 2018+ 2.8/2.4 Crysta (who says it's not fun to drive? Lotus Elise owners, maybe)
4) New Scorpio N (petrol or diesel, both are nice)

Let's just say one should never put used cars out of consideration as they are the best value here. Besides, take them to the service center for a full inspection and get the history.

P.S. might as well get the best options as you never know when NGT is going to ban private cars altogether.
All the options you've mentioned are BOF cars which is not my use case and requirement at all. Even I ignore the use case,
1. Definitely not 20+ big ones on a non-existent brand in India.
2. Fortuner is a good option. However, its difficult to find a pre-worshipped example.
3. Calling Crysta fun to drive is the a big joke. How can a BOF full 7 seater MPV be fun to drive compared to a 5 seater monocoque Harrier? If it is so much fun, then why do enthusiasts not prefer Crysta as a drivers car?
4. While 700 and Scorpio N - both costs almost same, 700 is better in everything compared to Scorpio N for my use case. I am not going to take it off-road as well which again dont justify the 4*4 mechanicals.

You are 100% right about used cars. But buying a used car also needs a bit of luck, which, I don't have. I cannot take a chance on a used car which will be the primary car of my garage.

Banning private cars all together can never happen in any part of the world (let alone India) for multiple reasons which is another topic of discussion.
Old 8th January 2023, 17:35   #39
BHPian

What about upcoming facelifted Harrier?
In general, the facelifted products have their niggles sorted and come with better features with respect to competition.
You might have a look on the Safari as well if XUV700 is in contention.
Old 8th January 2023, 18:21   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
On a second thought, should I go with the Harrier again?
Absolutely not, it will never be a niggle free product.

As you don't need a 7 seater, why not downgrade and look at the Hyryder / Grand Vitara duo? Check out only in its Hybrid version though.
Old 8th January 2023, 18:32   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGupta View Post
What about upcoming facelifted Harrier?
In general, the facelifted products have their niggles sorted and come with better features with respect to competition.
You might have a look on the Safari as well if XUV700 is in contention.
Of course it makes sense. I considered 700 only because M&M doesn't have a proper 5 seater like Harrier/Hector. So Safari is out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Absolutely not, it will never be a niggle free product.

As you don't need a 7 seater, why not downgrade and look at the Hyryder / Grand Vitara duo? Check out only in its Hybrid version though.
While I am ok to live with niggles here and there, my only concern is to live with a lemon (I am not defending Harrier though). There is no niggle free car today which has become the industry norm. Even Toyota's have minor issues/niggles.
Regarding, Hyryder/GV, I guess you did not go through my earlier posts in this thread.
Old 8th January 2023, 21:16   #42
BHPian

Considering you had your fair share of troubles with Harrier I won't recommend even looking at Jeep Compass be it manual or automatic. A couple of reason first being the same engine as the Harrier plus high chance of niggles cropping in. If saved past all that the creaking and rattling sound inside cabin and from sunroof reported by several Compass owners on the forum is a major concern. You can even cross-off the VW Tiguan as it sells less and part replacement if nothing else will become costly, headache, and a time taking process in future.

Similarly, I would avoid XUV700, despite M&M being better when it comes to reliability and ASS experience, they are no saints, just the lesser of two evils. That said, I have been pouring over XUV700 thread and Scorpio N thread and still both cars have niggles and quality issues. (although M&M deserves credit for proactively solving most of them through recalls and warranty replacements).

My advice would be to look no further than Hyundai Tucson, it has a fun and powerful oil burner mated to a butter smooth and superior gearbox. Being a niche product for Hyundai India if anything goes wrong they will be on their toes to fix it. Also Tucson is a global product and its fit and finish and overall quality is well known. In the same vein if any issue happens with the car there will be several car forums and YouTube channels buzzing with it and its fix (especially North American ones). Along with the Tucson you can also have a look at the new Citroën C5 Aircross. The car is underrated but very well engineered, if not for the steep premium it would have been a default choice for many forum members in 30-40 lakh price bracket.

If Hyundai or Citroën doesn't entice you then may I suggest looking for a pre-loved Toyota Fortuner or Innova Crysta or if finance permits stretching a bit and getting a new Fortuner.

If still not satisfied then sadly you would have no other choice than going back to either the XUV700 or Scorpio N. Between the two the latter will be more sorted and abuse-friendly while the former will be more comfortable and city friendly.
AROO7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 21:19   #43
BANNED

Hi mate, as your primary requirement is an enthusiast drive, most of the options won’t make the cut. To be honest it is very difficult to have a drivers SUV in a normal budget unless you are ready for used ones.

Are you ok with trying an electric one? If yes, Nexon EV is a good one. I haven’t driven ZS EV, so can’t comment. If no, then the best compromise would be Kushaq AT in 1.0 L version if running expenses is a worry. Else 1.5 L would be my pick, as your original budget is far higher, don’t have to bother about running expenses. I don’t think Hycross is going to be fun to drive, but no harm in taking a test drive. But in the quest to save on fuel, you would be spending more than a million in comparison to Kushaq and moreover your use case doesn’t warrant a 7 seater.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 21:48   #44
BHPian

With the petrol on the XUV700 you can expect a mileage of around 8-9.5 km/l in the city and on highways you can easily achieve 13-14 km/l and considering his usage is incredibly high the FE should be consistent throughout.
TurboLag200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 22:10   #45

Hi Mate, short and simple answer just go for the Toyota Fortuner.
Fizleo is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks