Mahindra Thar 219 57.33%
Force Gurkha 26 6.81%
Another 4x4 / AWD (please mention in your post) 20 5.24%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2023, 12:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny vs Mahindra Thar vs Force Gurkha vs others

Jimny has everything in its favor except the price. Had the entry price been below 10L mark, this entire discussion wouldn't have happened.
That apart, for open overlanding etc, Thar or Gurkha would do well over Jimny.
However, if the usage is in hills where roads are usually narrow, more so the trails, then Jimny would be very apt.
But now that the prices are almost on par, I would vote for Gurkha.
deetee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 12:40   #17
BHPian

Voted for Thar:

- Refined and Powerful powertrain options
- Butch (Gimny is toy king)
- Extremely well built, Solid feeling and overall aesthetics is lot more pleasing
- Well proven on Indian roads
- An allrounder on the road and off the road
- My personal opinion that Thar brand is more premium than say Gimny
UD17 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 12:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

I haven't voted but I would skip Gurkha at all cost. I had test driven and did like the drive. Add to that Force motors is not something that I would rely on for after sales support. Between Thar and Jimny, I like how Thar looks and has more options when it comes to engine/gearbox, but Jimny is bit more practical. I am bit more inclined towards Thar between two because if it was something practical I am looking for, I would be more inclined to pickup a Z4 Scorpion 4WD compared to the Jimny. Compact dimensions of Jimny is beneficial, but then I can't see myself driving Jimny within city limits much. Jimny has good use case and I believe there are folks who can put it to right use, but just doesnot fit my use case.
Old 9th June 2023, 12:51   #19
BHPian

Voted for Thar, even though 3 door variant. Though a 5 door 2WD variant that is going to be launched will be the ideal choice for those looking for a butch yet practical SUV.

Even now - If one doesn't really want a 4WD (~90%+ don't really need), they can go for 2WD Thar with more fuel efficient & torquey diesel - which, most importantly will still cost less than a petrol Jimny that has lower power & abysmal torque figures for a 4WD SUV! Having said that, the 3 door variant of the Thar is a big no for many, especially with a family of more than three.

Expect MS to launch 2WD Jimny by festival season. Mahindra already has a big order backlog for Thar - so MS is taking advantage of this period. In a few months, they won't have this luxury & will have to launch a 2WD version for better sales. As it is, current pricing doesn't leave much scope for good sales numbers (barring the initial spike in the first couple of months).
Old 9th June 2023, 12:57   #20
BHPian

I voted for others. At this point, I would put my money on a 2nd hand AWD alternatives, like a Toyota Fortuner or a Ford Endeavour or a Suzuki Grand Vitara or even a Jeep compass may be.

The options listed are too expensive for what they offer and I feel as a customer, I am being exploited for lack of options/competition in the market.

I understand that in my choice the vehicles may not be that hard core when it comes to its 4x4 capabilities, but for a noob like me, I would not mind. The only issue will be to find one in a good condition and at the right price.

Last edited by Fan@Automotive : 9th June 2023 at 12:59.
Old 9th June 2023, 15:00   #21
BHPian

I would definitely consider the Gurkha as the 3rd vehicle in the family as and when the 5 door version is launched.

Dad and I are already considering the Test Drive for Gurkha. Just minutes ago, I Called the Area Sales Manager, Pune for Gurkha, Sumit and he said there are no TD vehicles available. Apparently, a new updated version of Gurkha (BS6 2.0) is set to reach their showroom in 15-20 days and I have been offered a TD post that. Didn't offer any update on 5 Door model, though.

Let's see how things workout. For me, it's the No-Frills driving experience that will count with the Go Anywhere capability of the Gurkha and the exclusiveness it offers. Anyone with enough money can buy a Thar or a Jimny, but there are not a lot of Gurkha's on our streets.

Pic courtesy Cartoq: https://www.cartoq.com/accurate-size...-gurkha-video/
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny vs Mahindra Thar vs Force Gurkha vs others-untitled.jpg  

DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 15:41   #22
KPR
BANNED

I find Jimny more suitable for urban and lifestyle choice than butch on the face Thar. Thar is intimidating like a long hand sickle or in tamil 'Aruva'. Jimny could be the Victor inox knife.
Old 9th June 2023, 15:52   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

With the less than 50% of the votes garnered by the Jimny vis a vis the Thar as of now, would Maruti scale down its plans for ambitious production and sales targets if any? The voting is representative and presumably a good barometer to adjudge the likes for the threesome.

Q. Would the government departments/PSU's come to the rescue of the Jimny if its sales falter after the initial euphoria?

A. The answer is Yes and No. The government departments /PSU's would most likely prefer EV's as there are orders persuading them to do so.
But the police, para military and defence forces would most likely prefer Jimnys.

It's however too early to relegate the Jimny to the less wanted category, just a few days post its launch. It would be preferable to watch the market.
Old 9th June 2023, 17:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Reminded me of Amar Akbar Anthony. Exactly in the same order L-R !

PS- and possibly same character personalities too!

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 9th June 2023 at 18:00.
fhdowntheline is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 19:47   #25
BHPian

I have owned Gypsies in the past and still have an excellent condition Gypsy with AC, PS and other creature comforts for ocassional drives.

However, in this poll I have voted for Thar (anticipating its 5 door version soon).

I don't have any complaints about Jimny BUT its size doesn't justify its price. Being old school, I still have my apprehensions about value for money proposition before buying any 'Maruti' over 10 lakhs rupees.

My opinion:
For serious offroading go for Jimny. For style statement, wait for 5 door RWD Thar. As majority of our off road 'trails' have vastly improved over last decades and no longer need a 4wd. Just good driving skills are enough to conquer those challenges.
Old 9th June 2023, 20:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

The Thar petrol MT with a kerb weight of 1800 kg-

Power/weight (BHP/Ton) - 83 Bhp/ton
Torque/Weight (Torque/Ton)- 166
Peak torque is available from as low as 1250 to 3000 rpm.
0-100 - Roughly 10-11 secs

The Jimny MT with a Kerb weight of 1200 kg-

Power/weight (BHP/Ton) - 86 Bhp/ton
Torque/Weight (Torque/Ton)- 112
Peak torque is available at 4,000 rpm.
0-100 - Roughly 14-16 secs
Any thoughts on why Thar is so heavy or rather how is Jimny so light? Is it insufficient design of Mahindra or Suzuki has managed to deliver a mechanical wonder?
sandeeprawat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 20:22   #27
BHPian

Despite having owned 2 gypsies for over 23 years I've still voted for the Thar (petrol, auto) as its a superior vehicle.
satan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 20:24   #28
BHPian

Voted Others - Grand Vitara AWD.
Just that it's manual. Would have been great to get an AT AWD as Scorpio N and XUV700 AT AWDs are priced nearly 50% higher and a size bigger and segment higher.

Last edited by FAIAAA : 9th June 2023 at 20:25. Reason: Formatting, Additional text
Old 10th June 2023, 00:33   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeeprawat View Post
Any thoughts on why Thar is so heavy or rather how is Jimny so light? Is it insufficient design of Mahindra or Suzuki has managed to deliver a mechanical wonder?
Neither it's an insufficient design by Mahindra, nor any mechanical wonder by Suzuki. It's the weight of a smaller vehicle vs the weight of a bigger vehicle.

The 300 mm shorter Jimny 3 door is lighter than the Jimny 5 door by about 100 kg!

Roughly the Thar is 200 mm wider & 200 mm taller than the Jimny. The engine capacity is also 500cc more than the Jimny. On top of it, the K series engines are known for it's light weight.
Plus, most of the Japanese/Korean cars are lighter compared to Indian/German cars.

Maruti Jimny vs Mahindra Thar vs Force Gurkha vs others-jimnythar1.jpeg

The Gurkha on the other hand is 130 mm longer than the Thar & 155 mm taller than the Thar. Plus it has a 2600cc diesel mill under it's hood. Roughly it weighs 350 to 400 kg more than the Thar!

Maruti Jimny vs Mahindra Thar vs Force Gurkha vs others-20210916032901_force_gurkha_2021_vs_thar.jpg

Pic source- Google.

Last edited by Samba : 10th June 2023 at 00:44.
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 07:43   #30
BHPian

I was excited for Jimny launch when there were rumors for it launching in 2011. Better late than never, I guess. Although visibly it falls in the same category but with 2/3rd kerb weight of Thar, it feels like a different category vehicle. Haven't test drove it yet but I bet it would be fun to drive on snow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks