Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2023, 14:00   #1
Team-BHP Support

Maruti Jimny vs Mahindra Thar vs Force Gurkha vs others

Maruti Jimny vs Mahindra Thar vs Force Gurkha vs others-maruti-jimny.png

Maruti Jimny

What you'll like:

• Extremely stylish retro-modern SUV with loads of character. A total head-turner that’s available in very interesting colours
• Build quality is more solid than you’d expect of a Maruti. Even the interiors feel hard-wearing (note: plastic quality is nothing to write home about)
• An agile mountain goat! 4x4 with low range, satisfactory all-round visibility, 210 mm GC, good wheel articulation and excellent approach, departure & break-over angles make it a potent offroader
• Compact size & lighter kerb weight (than the Thar & Gurkha) bring advantages off-the-road and on it (in urban confines)
• Stylish interiors with good space utilization for 4 adults
• 4 doors make it more practical & family-friendly than the competing 2-door offroaders
• Smooth torque-converter automatic transmission available
• You can expect lots of modification & customization options, as is the case internationally. Go out & personalize your Jimny!
• Features such as the hard top, tinted green glasses, near-flat reclining front seats, LED auto headlamps with washers, rear wash & wipe, cruise control, 9-inch touchscreen HU...
• Safety kit includes 6 airbags, 3-point seatbelts for all, ESP, brake-based limited slip differential, traction control, hill hold / descent control and ISOFIX mounts
• Maruti’s excellent after-sales service, wide dealer network & fuss-free ownership experiences

What you won't:

• Small size doesn’t give it the presence of a Thar or Gurkha
• Unexciting 1.5L petrol engine with merely 103 BHP and 134 Nm. Don’t expect Maruti-esque fuel economy either (we saw high single-digit FE in our test-drive of the MT variant)
• Notchy 5-speed MT with a heavy clutch pedal. MT owners will find the footwell to be cramped
• Firm steering requires effort to operate. Vague on-road behaviour, weak return-to-centre action and wide 5.7 m turning radius
• Just a 4-seater (even legally). Not being able to carry 5 limits family-wise practicality
• Imperfect ride quality. Don’t expect road manners like a monocoque crossover, yet it is superior to the Thar’s bumpy ride
• 4-speed AT feels very old and outdated (has an “OD” button like in the ‘90s!). That being said, the gearbox has smooth shifts & proven reliability
• Missing features such as a sunroof, DRLs, rear A/C vents, auto wipers, TPMS, driver's seat height & lumbar adjustment, steering reach adjustment, auto-dimming IRVM, dead pedal…
• Boot space is just 208-liters; however, it is useable and more accommodating than the Thar’s. Disappointingly, the Jimny’s cabin has very few storage options & cubicles
• No soft-top convertible or 2-door options available. Forget about the joy of open-top cruising
• No diesel engine for those with high-running. The market still loves diesels in body-on-frame SUVs

Link to Review

Mahindra Thar

What you'll like:

• Fun, fun, fun! A loveable car that will bring you loads of laughs & smiles
• Handsome Jeep styling & brute character. Tough build too
• Far more user-friendly than the ol’ Thar due to superior interiors & the amenities
• Very competent, refined turbo-petrol & diesel engine range
• Butter-smooth 6-speed Automatics available with both engines
• 4x4 hardware, offroad capability & 226 mm GC. Get ready for slush, muck, deserts, jungles & the mountains!
• Practical hard-top or fun convertible available in the Thar – take your pick
• Features such as removable doors, ESP, cruise control, hill hold / descent, TPMS…
• 4-star rating in the GNCAP crash test (more information)

What you won't:

• Very bumpy ride quality. The Thar is never settled, no matter what the road or speed
• Poor road manners at high speed. Best to cruise at 100 - 110 km/h only
• Impractical due to the 2-doors, 4 seats (not 5) & difficult access to the back seat
• Laughably small boot simply isn’t enough for holiday luggage
• Petrol AT is thirsty due to its hefty weight, 150 BHP & torque-converter AT
• Premium pricing for the higher variants. Lot of money for the Thar's limited usability
• Sad feature list for a 19-lakh car. No reversing cam, auto-dimming IRVM, auto headlamps & wipers, electrically-folding ORVMs, rear wash & wipe…
• Apprehensions of niggles & Mahindra's hit-or-miss after-sales service quality

Link to Review

The 1.5L RWD

Force Gurkha
Maruti Jimny vs Mahindra Thar vs Force Gurkha vs others-gurkha-4.jpg

Link to Review

Last edited by Aditya : 7th June 2023 at 19:12.
Aditya is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 08:26   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Jimny vs Mahindra Thar vs Force Gurkha vs others

Let me start off by saying I am VERY HAPPY to see 3 amazing choices of offroaders under 20-lakhs. These are relatively affordable prices for any enthusiast. The predecessors of all these cars (Gypsy, 1st-gen Thar, last-gen Gurkha) were too barebones, too crude and too outdated. These three new-generation offroaders have improved to such an extent, they can be used as daily drivers too (admittedly, with a lot of compromises).

God bless competition. Competition makes things better for us customers. Now, under 20-lakhs, you have a more diverse choice of offroaders than you do of corner-carving fast sedans. How times change.

My 1st Choice = Mahindra Thar. Reasons:

- Jeep bodystyle. I love Jeeps

- Fast turbo-petrol & fuel-efficient turbo-diesel engines. Both are impressively refined

- Smooth 6-speed ATs that are superbly tuned for driveability (not economy)

- Excellent performance. Thar turbo-petrol AT can out-accelerate a Honda City CVT or Fortuner AT

- Bigger, more butch & macho than the Jimny

- I love the styling & image of a 2-door

- Only car from these 3 to offer a convertible top (which is the one I bought)

- Way too much fun.

- 4 stars in the GNCAP

- Currently has the best aftermarket support (modified suspensions, LED headlights, body parts, interior accessories...)

2nd Choice = Maruti Jimny. Reasons:

- Smart & stylish.

- 4-doors make it 10X more practical than the Thar or Gurkha.

- It's the smallest & lightest of the 3. Big advantage offroad, easier to live with in the city.

- All the Maruti-related benefits in terms of reliability & after-sales.

- AT might be old-school, but it works well and is reliable.

- More fuel-efficient than the guzzling Thar Petrol. I love its interiors as well, very different.

- Ride quality, although imperfect, is more liveable than the bumpy Thar

I have no problem with the Jimny's price. I only have a problem with its puny engine specs of 103 BHP / 134 Nm. The Thar Turbo-Petrol has 50% more horsepower and 2.5 times the torque!

3rd Choice = Force Gurkha. Reasons:

- I love the Gurkha's styling, mighty presence, offroad capability, Mercedes-esque face etc. But it doesn't have an AT nor a turbo-petrol, is much slower than the Thar, its service network is too tiny, no convertible soft-top, no crash test rating. As handsome as the exterior styling is, the interior looks like it's lifted from a 1997 Tempo.

Last edited by GTO : 8th June 2023 at 11:43.
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 09:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I like Jeeps and 4WD vehicles in general however I do not like to suffer their incompetence in handling road driving for hours together on the highway or city roads, spoilt by Scorpio no doubt.

This is where the 'invention' of Thar is significant.

4x4 is one thing but getting there effortlessly from the confines of a large city and then through a fast highway is even more important if you want to appeal to those who have the money to purchase it.

Maruti Jimny vs Mahindra Thar vs Force Gurkha vs others-img_20221029_1445262.jpg

While my friend there was looking at the elephant from a distance, it seems like the elephant did not need a binoculars or 4WD, that fellow managed to follow us to the place where we were staying and did some damage, chased us to our living quarters and kept us awake all night.
Kosfactor is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 10:07   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
4x4 is one thing but getting there effortlessly from the confines of a large city and then through a fast highway is even more important if you want to appeal to those who have the money to purchase it..
The Scorpio N with 4WD is I believe, envisaged for exactly the above use case.

Getting someone to the ultimate destination in great comfort, convenience, speed and safety with great competence. And being able to do some good levels of ‘adventuring’ at the ultimate destination. And bringing everyone back in comfort to the start point, when they are nice and exhausted.

A good analogy is those Desert Safari Toyota Land Cruisers in Dubai, Jordan and other Middle Eastern destinations.

They come and pick you and your gear up at your swanky Hotel. Drive quickly to the fuel station. Gas up. Air down. Take you furiously through the scrub and camel-thorn and give you a nice roller coaster ride through the desert across dunes and throw up some nice soft sand and create lots of thrills and photo opportunities. And then when you are nice and tired and all ‘petered-out’, they bring you back in Air conditioned comfort to your swanky hotel.
shankar.balan is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 10:31   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The problem with Off-Roading or 4x4 enthusiasts currently in the country is that any OTR location is an average of hundred or more kilometers and two or three hours of drive on the highway. So, as much as your spend your weekend driving off-road, you also have to drive to and from the location, and also live with the car for the rest of the regular days.

I think the Thar narrowly beats the Jimny for me, mainly due to the fact it has a better engine and hence easier to drive on Indian highways.

Looks wise, I would have preferred the Thar if it hadnt been so popular . So I choose Jimny for now.

Not a big fan of creature comforts inside the vehicle. Basics are good enough for me in a purpose oriented car like this. But yes, 5 doors on the Jimny defintiely puts things in its favour.

Aftermarket support is good enough for the Thar and Jimny. With Jimny being even better with solid global aftermerket support.

That said, If I can get a reliable turbo kit on the Jimny, I'd choose it over the Thar.

Last edited by dhanushs : 8th June 2023 at 10:34.
dhanushs is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 16:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the detailed reviews of the threesome in the UV Class of 2023.

The space crunch, lack of seating for a fifth passenger ( even a M800 legally allows five), the not so encouraging fuel consumption figures in respect of petrol variants of both (Jimny has no diesel option) and the low on luggage space and less comfortable rides are dampeners that could repel quite many buyers.

With the passage of time, 4X4 fans must have had greater expectations. The additions of some contemporary bells and whistles don't necessarily mean that these launches are commensurate with the times.

The old Gypsy (launched) with 2 doors and the tailgate could seat 8, while the archaic Mahindra CJ 500 D (launched 1975) with no doors but a tailgate could seat nine, both legally. The Gypsy drank one litre to run 9-11 kms while the CJ 500 D delivered 11-12 kmpl of diesel. Gypsy's ride quality was OK for two in the front but dismal for its rear, bench seat passengers. And with the CJ 500 D, the rear passengers were not tossed as in the Gypsy but were neither comfortable. The front passengers on this diesel monster were subjected to more than the permissible decibel levels of noise. Luggage space was very flexible for both. They were simple and rudimentary 4x4's to own. The Gypsy is an iconic 4x4 , lately.

Both came basically with soft tops from the factory and hence were the "go anywhere and make your own road" kind.

Looking at the comparo with the 40 and nearly 50 year old ancestors of both respectively, can we analyse as to how much the newly reviewed UV's have evolved ?

One commendable point is the NCAP stars both these come with. For Mahindra a 4 to 5 star rating can be no issue as we have become used to it. But for a Maruti getting appended with 4 stars is surely an unmatched feat. The pricier NEXA Marutis are now getting 4 stars though.

I am unable to comment on the Force Gurkha as I have not driven one. But Force's lack of market penetration is surely a cause for worry owing to its repairability and spares availability.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th June 2023 at 16:41.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 20:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

For an off-road car, I prefer manuals over automatics, & even on-road I prefer a MT over an AT. Incase I need a small hatchback for daily commuting in city traffic, only then I may consider an AT, else not.

Now, given the new norms and the way our government is dealing with the diesels, I will personally avoid plonking my money on a diesel. Plus I do not want the headache of DPF.

Had the new gen Thar been offered in BS4 diesel, without the insecurities of the future of diesels, it would have been my default choice!

So now my choice will be limited between the Thar Petrol MT HT and the Jimny MT.

The Thar petrol MT with a kerb weight of 1800 kg-

Power/weight (BHP/Ton) - 83 Bhp/ton
Torque/Weight (Torque/Ton)- 166
Peak torque is available from as low as 1250 to 3000 rpm.
0-100 - Roughly 10-11 secs

The Jimny MT with a Kerb weight of 1200 kg-

Power/weight (BHP/Ton) - 86 Bhp/ton
Torque/Weight (Torque/Ton)- 112
Peak torque is available at 4,000 rpm.
0-100 - Roughly 14-16 secs

Advantages of the Thar over the Jimny-

Apart from the above, the Thar has a better ground clearance with a lesser wheelbase.

The Thar has received a respectable 4 star in the crash test too.

Though, I should not comment on the Jimny's safety ratings before it gets tested.

I personally prefer the looks of the Thar over the Jimny. Plus I do love the road presence of the Thar too!

People might say that these vehicles are made for a certain purpose where the 0-100 timings do not matter and bla bla bla, but for me the drivability does matter! It is always satisfying to drive a car with instant power on tap. We won't participate in a drag race with either of these two cars, but on a single lane highway the ease of overtaking other vehicles does matter.

Till now the Thar looks to be a better deal by paying the extra 1.5L.

Now coming to the advantages of the Jimny-

The Mstallion gets over heated under heavy offroad drives, whereas the K15B has no such complaints world wide, though it's yet to be tested on the sand dunes of Rajasthan in summer!

Any given day, I will trust Maruti's after-sales service over Mahindra's.

If broken the age old and less complicated k15B can be repaired anywhere, plus this engine is time-tested. Am yet to see an exhaustive review of the Petrol Thar which has it's odo reading in 6 digit figure.

With the increasing fuel cost, mileage does matter! Anything from 10 km/l is acceptable for me. In Thar it will vary from 6 to 11 km/l depending on the traffic, terrain and driving style. In the Jimny we can expect something between 8 to 15 km/l.

Again if we consider practicality, It's anytime Jimny over Thar.

From the reviews, my understanding is that the Jimny is less bumpy on bad roads than the Thar.

Coming to the off-road capability-

It will be very difficult to say which will be better. This is going to be typically another Thar vs Gypsy debate, another light vehicle vs heavy vehicle debate, another short wheelbase vs long wheelbase vehicle debate. All I can assume is both will be equally capable off-the-road.
Plus thanks to Mahindra for not providing the MLD anymore in petrol Thars! So the petrol Jimny and the petrol Thar both have the BLD.

Lastly, if we consider the pricing, the Thar and Jimny both are overpriced by a lakh or so!

Regarding voting in this poll, I have refrained from putting my vote until I drive the Jimny on and off the road. Till then heart says Thar, mind says Jimny.

Last edited by Samba : 8th June 2023 at 20:45.
Samba is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 21:43   #8
Team-BHP Support

Looking at it from a one-car-garage perspective - multi-car garages are still a minority in this country overall - I think the Grand Vitara AllGrip is a competent, left-field choice for someone who needs a modern urban car that's also capable of mild-to-moderate off-roading, in the 20-25L budget range.

If Maruti hadn't held back on giving it an AT at launch (and completely neutered any pep the K15 motor had), a Grand Vitara AT AllGrip would be a viable answer to a lot of urban casual off-roaders' 'What Car?' question.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 09:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Jimny. My second choice would be the Gurkha. To me the Thar's cramped second row and more over it's lousy ride ruled it out. Performance is good but that's about it. Looks are subjective.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 10:14   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Scorpio N with 4WD is I believe, envisaged for exactly the above use case.
Truly. The new Scorpio-N is a brilliant package for anyone looking at touring, with legit use of the 4x4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
The Thar petrol MT with a kerb weight of 1800 kg
Will definitely be lesser. My Petrol AT Convertible has a kerb weight of 1715 kg, according to the RC book. MT will be a lighter gearbox, although the hard-top will weigh more than the convertible.

Quote:
0-100 - Roughly 10-11 secs
AT does it in 10.2 - 10.4 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Looking at it from a one-car-garage perspective - multi-car garages are still a minority in this country overall - I think the Grand Vitara AllGrip is a competent, left-field choice for someone who needs a modern urban car that's also capable of mild-to-moderate off-roading, in the 20-25L budget range.
Mild offroading for sure. Like sand & muck. On the road, the Grand Vitara will run circles all around these offroaders with superior comfort, ride quality, handling etc. But it sucks that the Grand Vitara AllGrip doesn't get an AT (rules it out for people like me who have given up on MTs) or the fuel-efficient hybrid.

For AT + AWD (or 4x4) + more comfort, the best options are the XUV700 & Scorpio-N.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 10:28   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

For AT + AWD (or 4x4) + more comfort, the best options are the XUV700 & Scorpio-N.
Agree on product, but pricing is a key factor.

Looking at Bangalore OTR pricing, Only the Z4 MT 4WD Scorpio N is priced under 25L. The higher variants with AT and better equipment are closer to 30L, while 7OO AWD variants go beyond that. That's nearly 50% more expensive and an entire price segment up.

I hadn't realised Compass 4x4 AT had nearly touched 40L.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th June 2023 at 10:29.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 10:48   #12
BHPian

I would prefer Grand Vitara AWD primarily for comfort with light offroad capability. I would have considered Jimny, but I feel it will not be that good for city or highway driving.
Old 9th June 2023, 11:41   #13
BHPian

I think I love the open top Thar the best (as a lifestyle vehicle, since that’s what this thread is about - we’re buying a Jimny for overlanding and farm use). It would have been 10x cooler if Mahindra could’ve kept the size and weight down to that of a traditional Jeep, like the Jimny. And given it the XUV300’s turbo. Then the international press would’ve lapped it up, declared it to be what the obese Wrangler should’ve been, etc. Now it’s just a poor man’s wankpanzer. But the feeling you get when you climb into one with the hood down, my God, there’s nothing like a Jeep.
Vikram9193 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 12:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

I will stick to only Thar vs Jimny, and my thoughts are both are for different kind of people. Butch and Brawny vs Lean and 'Eye of the Tiger'!

Thar
Maruti Jimny vs Mahindra Thar vs Force Gurkha vs others-20230609_114546.jpg

Jimny
Maruti Jimny vs Mahindra Thar vs Force Gurkha vs others-20230609_114509.jpg

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 12:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think the poll is premature. Jimny hasn't even hit the market, no one has shared an ownership review and most of all, the reliability, serviceability and spare part availability is a huge question mark right now. The Thar is the undisputed leader in the segment not only because it definitely is a mean machine but there is little competition too. The Jimny has to get a full fledged launch, pick up sales and survive for at least 2 years before we make any comparisons or comments.
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks