Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2007, 11:25   #46
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercool View Post
Thanks a lot for reply but again asking same problem...Is it possible to fit Scorpio Turbo engine with bolero 5 Speed 4x4 gearbox & transfer case to MM (540 or 550) series jeep. I love the looks of MM540
@triggercool, I'm sure you can match a Scorpio turbosupercharged engine to a 4x4 Bolero drivetrain.

Jeeps have always inspired fanatic owners. These owners eat, breathe and live Jeep! Jeep restorations, show Jeeps, core offroad Jeeps, street Jeeps and competition Jeeps.

The USA has a whole aftermarket industry to outfit over-engineered bolt-ons and weld-ons to Jeeps of all vintages: 1941-2007. Way back in the mid-1980s, I found such an industry in California.

There are Jeep owners who have always wanted to change their engine
to something that won't just bolt onto the existing clutch-bell housing.

This fuels the raison d'être of a company called Advance-Adapters.
They're based in El Paso de Robles, California just a walking distance from the airport.

They've produced V-8 conversion engine mounts for Jeeps for over 30 years, covering Jeeps from World War 2 to the present model Wrangler.

Advance-Adapters manufacture their own over-engineered 2-speed transfer case called "Atlas" that offroaders: Rubicon-types swear by.

Jeep fanatics can certainly buy a second-hand or new jeep, and upgrade/restore it with custom engines, transmissions, transfercases and differentials of their own choice.

The Atlas 4 speed transfercase has Borg-Warner "shift on the fly" synchronizers and a 4-speed reduction. It is a two lever design just like the solid old 2-speed Spicer-18. But the Atlas 4sp, made of heat-treated 356-T6 Aluminium alloy, far surpasses the Spicer-18 in offroad competence.

We've certainly come a long way from the 2nd world war military Willys MB.

Mahindra & Mahindra sold 1952 Willys trucks like this in India at one time.

Old 12th August 2007, 16:17   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercool View Post
Thanks a lot for reply but again asking same problem...Is it possible to fit Scorpio Turbo engine with bolero 5 Speed 4x4 gearbox & transfer case to MM (540 or 550) series jeep. I love the looks of MM540
me too I have the exact same query...will there be any reliability problems later...further to add to it can a power steering setup be added to the mm540/550?
Old 12th August 2007, 18:13   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
The Early Model Scorpio (2002) Had the BA10 gearbox.
But the gearbox couldnot handle the Torque generated by SZ116 Engine, so M&M developed the NGT530.
The BA10 is a gearbox tech M&M bought from Peugeot in the late 80's but took a god awful long time to bring to production. In the interim the Armada was launched with the old Kia transmission and I recall the twisted shift lever used to rattle away. I think they finally (first) put the BA10 in the early version of the Bolero with the XD3P engine (also from Peugeot?)

Quote:
A friend of mine has fitted the SZ116 with a KMT90 4Speed 4WD into a CJ3B (1993CJ340DP4WD).

He had to fabricate an adapter plate to mount the gear box on the Engine.

Gaurev's Gallery @ Fotopic.Net

Regards,

Arka
The other option would have been to modify the original bell housing(s), either with the DP4.9 or the SZ116 to mate the other gearbox. That way the original contact section on the main gear would not have changed.
Old 12th August 2007, 18:19   #49
BHPian

Down Memory lane with my MM540

Quote:
The Following are the diff-Ratios and their application
4.27:1 - Diesel B275/MDI Engine/S4 Engined vehicles (FJ470DS4) & The CJ4A (F4-134) 1974 onwards.
4.88:1 - MM440 & MM540 (post 1987)
5.38:1 - Regular Petrol JEEPs/Commander Series with XDP4.9 and early MM540.
5.89:1 - FJ460DP with XDP4.9
This is what I had in my 1988 540 (no longer with me)

XDP490 (was also called the DP4.9)
The Kia KMT90 4-speed gearbox
Spicer-18 transfer case with the High(normal) - Low selection. This also had an irritating Neutral position.
Rear Differential (Hypoid pinion and gear) of ratio 4.88:1
Old 13th August 2007, 10:00   #50
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
This is what I had in my 1988 540 (no longer with me)
Spicer-18 transfer case with the High(normal) - Low selection. This also had an irritating Neutral position.
The Spicer-18 two-lever transfer-case was used by all Jeep CJ vehicles from 1945 to 1971.It gives a reduction ratio of 2.46:1 in low-ratio. (the little stick pushed all the way forward, multiplies torque of all forward and reverse gears by 2.46!)

This solid transfer case is heavily made and driven by gears, not chains and invariably outlives the engine and gearbox that feeds it. It is rugged enough to handle the torque put out by the V8 engines put into old Jeeps by Californian Jeepers.

The Spicer-18 hardly needs any maintenance, other than periodic oil-changes. And even when it needs any work, it's so simple and mechanic-friendly; the intermediate shaft, intermediate gear, thrust washers, and bearings are all serviceable through the inspection cover on the bottom of the case. You don't even have to take the box out of the Jeep!

The irritating Neutral position had a purpose.

Jeeps were used as fire-engines, snowplows, amphibious vehicles and many other special-purpose vehicles. The output of the engine, through the gearbox could be used to power fire-engine pumps, threshers, compressors, and many other gadgets.
Some of them were mounted on the trailer hitched to the Jeep's pintle hook.

Warn had designed an overdrive for the Spicer-18. Later this was called the Saturn overdrive.
In top gear, with overdrive selected you could get a ratio of 0.75:1, causing you to get 33% more top speed.
This overdrive attached in the PTO (Power Take Off) port in the back of the transfer case.

There were also PTO attachments useful to drive winches (e.g. the Koenig Dana 18 PTO adapter), generators, welders, assorted farm implements and many other machinery.

What you would do is, pull out the transmission parking brake, stick the Spicer-18 in neutral (called the PTO position) and control your special gadget directly or through a third gearbox.

That's what the Spicer-18's neutral position was for!

Ram
Old 13th August 2007, 12:59   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
The Spicer-18 two-lever transfer-case was used by all Jeep CJ vehicles from 1945 to 1971.It gives a reduction ratio of 2.46:1 in low-ratio. (the little stick pushed all the way forward, multiplies torque of all forward and reverse gears by 2.46!)

This solid transfer case is heavily made and driven by gears, not chains and invariably outlives the engine and gearbox that feeds it. It is rugged enough to handle the torque put out by the V8 engines put into old Jeeps by Californian Jeepers.

The Spicer-18 hardly needs any maintenance, other than periodic oil-changes. And even when it needs any work, it's so simple and mechanic-friendly; the intermediate shaft, intermediate gear, thrust washers, and bearings are all serviceable through the inspection cover on the bottom of the case. You don't even have to take the box out of the Jeep!

The irritating Neutral position had a purpose.

Jeeps were used as fire-engines, snowplows, amphibious vehicles and many other special-purpose vehicles. The output of the engine, through the gearbox could be used to power fire-engine pumps, threshers, compressors, and many other gadgets.
Some of them were mounted on the trailer hitched to the Jeep's pintle hook.

Warn had designed an overdrive for the Spicer-18. Later this was called the Saturn overdrive.
In top gear, with overdrive selected you could get a ratio of 0.75:1, causing you to get 33% more top speed.
This overdrive attached in the PTO (Power Take Off) port in the back of the transfer case.

There were also PTO attachments useful to drive winches (e.g. the Koenig Dana 18 PTO adapter), generators, welders, assorted farm implements and many other machinery.

What you would do is, pull out the transmission parking brake, stick the Spicer-18 in neutral (called the PTO position) and control your special gadget directly or through a third gearbox.

That's what the Spicer-18's neutral position was for!

Ram

Great information . Think will help me in long way.
Old 13th August 2007, 13:09   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
me too I have the exact same query...will there be any reliability problems later...further to add to it can a power steering setup be added to the mm540/550?

Actually i am look for smooth engine and reliable gear box/ transfer case which must be easy on maintanence tooooooooooo . Jeep will be use mostly for weekend 4X4 is it possible . Once i have all information ill be ready for this project MM540 . HOPE HOPE things work out
Old 18th March 2008, 20:26   #53
BHPian

Need a few more info on modification of MM550XD..

1. Where can one find the new mud flaps which comes with 2004+ models.
2. Which tyres are being used in Mahindra Thar, how much they cost.
3. Does anybody know a reliable MM550XD supplier in Delhi?? How much does this cost?? Can I have one in running engine condition??

Naren
Old 24th March 2008, 17:25   #54

Mahindra 550 XD

Hi guys,

I am looking at buying a jeep (MM 550 / MM 540) for my farm house. Was thinking of getting an ex-army jeep and then spending some money on it and doing it up. Any idea where I would be able to get my hands on on in fairly decent condition and obviously for cheap. Friends of mine were telling me about the army auctions that happen but I dont know how to go about it. Also I would like for it to be in the state of Maharashtra as I live in Mumbai.

Would really appreciate any help/info you guys could provide on the above.

Thanks a ton!
Xentric
Old 25th March 2008, 17:51   #55
BHPian

I am from Rajasthan have just now (before 3-4 days) bough a MM540 from a Kabadi Wala. This jeep was originally owned by some centeral govt department and I bought for 42K without the engine. I have bought a Bolero engine (XDB3) in 12K which need some repairing work (aprox 12-15 K more to spend on it). The other expenditure are going to be as follows (aprox)...
Denting :: 10K
Paint :: 8 K
Electric Fitting :: 5 K
The whole front and wheel change to the bigger one (as in Bolero, with Front Disk). 10K
Accesories & Pipes :: 15 K
Seat Change :: 4 K
Hood :: 5 K
Power Steering and Power Brakes:: 10 K
New Wheels :: 5K
New Tyres :: 20K
Other Misl :: 15 K
Battery :: 4 K

The wondering thing is after starting this project, I am now very confussed as is it worth spend so much money on a 1989 MM540 and is going to give me the satisfaction as of a new 4x4. I seek advice from the exports on this please.

Thank you
Old 25th March 2008, 19:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

42K for a scraped jeep that too which doesnt has any vintage/classical value!!

I thought the price would be around 15K to 20K, I might be wrong though. But some how I feel 42K is on the higher side.(you should be getting the engine and mechanicals along)
Old 26th March 2008, 11:07   #57
BHPian

Raj, I have got all the mechanical items except the engine. It is a 4x4 version. The body and chasis is in very good shape and I am sure this not a too high prices. If you want to go for any vintage look (say willys) you will not get it here less than 150 K (not running condition).
Old 26th March 2008, 13:59   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
42K for a scraped jeep that too which doesnt has any vintage/classical value!!

I thought the price would be around 15K to 20K, I might be wrong though. But some how I feel 42K is on the higher side.(you should be getting the engine and mechanicals along)
I would beg to differ...just incase if the JEEP (MM540/550 is the closest thing to a Jeep Wrangler and most of them carried the badge too) is in good condition then I think enthusiasts would love to pay 42K moreover if it's a 4X4 version...Get a good workshop + New ENGINE + RELIABLE TRANSFER CASE + REINFORCED ENCHANCED SUSPENSION + MRF SANDGRIP and you're good to go...
Old 26th March 2008, 17:25   #59
Senior - BHPian

All JEEP GURUS
I got a minor query. I got a MM540xd which was the 95 batch with 4wd. I got the stock tires on it. The problem is i have a very bumpy ride and if there is a slight uneven road the jeep there is too rough ride. Any suggestions as to how to make it better. I use this jeep for town to town travelling and the roads are not even and have potholes. I usually dont take it on mud roads as i got an international which helps me sail through them. So could you please suggest something
Old 26th March 2008, 18:32   #60
Senior - BHPian

^^Make sure your dampers are in good condition.
Also, switching to a good set of radials does a lot to improve ride quality.
Quote:
I usually dont take it on mud roads as i got an international which helps me sail through them.
I can only get that you have an international engine. What else did u mean?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks