Jeep Compass 19 5.81%
Mahindra XUV700 69 21.10%
Other (please specify in your post) 3 0.92%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2023, 07:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos Facelift vs Hyundai Creta vs VW Taigun vs Skoda Kushaq vs others

Can't vote yet...but if I could, I would vote for the XUV700. Just pay a little premium after the Seltos, you get a larger and safer car (I guess).

If the Seltos gets above 4 stars in the safety rating, would definitely go for it!
Old 17th August 2023, 08:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hands down 7OO. Can't compromise on safety for features in any way. Also, the 7OO offers almost everything and safety, so why settle for less?
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 11:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythonista View Post
Can't vote yet...but if I could, I would vote for the XUV700. Just pay a little premium after the Seltos, you get a larger and safer car (I guess).

If the Seltos gets above 4 stars in the safety rating, would definitely go for it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Hands down 7OO. Can't compromise on safety for features in any way. Also, the 7OO offers almost everything and safety, so why settle for less?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDev View Post
I'm truly impressed by the Kia Seltos facelift. Still, I can't ignore my reservations about the GNCAP crash test rating. On a different note, even though the XUV700 by Mahindra is in a slightly higher segment, it appears to be a well-rounded option, and that's where I lean towards.
Unfair to compare the Seltos with the XUV700 to be honest.

The GTX + Petrol of Seltos costs 23.3L OTR Pune. AX7 AT L Petrol of XUV700 costs 29.22L OTR Pune. (Price difference = ~6L (21%))

Similarly the GTX+ D of Seltos costs 23.71L OTR Pune, while the AX7 AT L D of XUV700 (without AWD) costs 30.36L. (Price difference = 6.65L (22%)).

Source-Carwale.

Both cars offer more or less similar performance (courtesy size differential of both). Both are fun in their own right. While XUV700 does have advantage of 7 seats, Kia fights back with more features and VFM quotient.
There are some annoying misses in the current XUV700. No auto dimming mirror is one of the biggest one for me. Typical Mahindra niggles (though not as severe as Tata or VW) deserve a special mention too, Kia on the other hand have been relatively trouble free.

That said, like rightly pointed by many others Seltos should only be compared with Creta/Astor/VW twins/MS-Toyota Twins in the segment.

Harrier/Hector/XUV700/Scorpio N/Compass belong to a one full segment higher.

Last edited by 07CR : 17th August 2023 at 11:52.
Old 17th August 2023, 16:54   #34
BHPian

XUV700 is the clear winner here. Seltos doesn't excel in any department and its price for petrol TC Automatic versions starts from 23 lacs in my city which is same as that of XUV700

I would prefer structurally stable vehicles like Taigun/kushaq/XUV700 any day over Seltos and they are fun to drive as well ! Here XUV has the most powerful engine options and its AT box is super slick

peace
sulliavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 21:39   #35

For a petrol AT to be driven 95% in the city, there is still no clear winner, despite so many options in this segment.

For the use case, want to avoid DCT transmission, which rules out higher variants of Seltos FL. IVT variant does not get half of the bells and whistles that DCT models get.

XUV 7oo is too big for the city and too bad for the fuel economy!
Old 18th August 2023, 11:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Its a no-nonsense choice for someone looking forward to a reliable, long term ownership. Built on Suzuki's global platform, its better that what we have now come to associate Maruti with when it comes to safety. Efficient, comfortable transportation coupled that is good enough for our road conditions. The torque converter automatic transmission adds to reliability factor. Bonus is wider service network and as a successful Maruti, resale would be good too incase someone plans to change the car. Not exciting, true, but a nice fit for going from point A to point B. With ever increasing traffic on roads, a lot of power from turbo petrol is not of much use particularly in urban running. DCT reliability issues are well covered on the forum. Grand Vitara is jack of most trades while nearly acing the reliability and efficiency domains for petrol crossovers. Diesels, why government hates them is a wonder, adding to woes are DFP concerns. Best avoided at this point in time. The negatives of Grand Vitara are easily covered by pros of the vehicle. Elevate is not backed by a manufacturer that is stable in Indian operations in longer run.
Old 18th August 2023, 13:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Unfair to compare the Seltos with the XUV700 to be honest.

Harrier/Hector/XUV700/Scorpio N/Compass belong to a one full segment higher.
While I fully agree with you on the XUV7OO and Scorpio N, I beg to differ on the Harrier, Hector and primarily with the Compass. The major factor here would the 5 seating capacity. Agreed, that they reside in different price brackets (higher), but doesn't the Compass feel 'overpriced' for what it offers; and that kinda makes the Seltos all the more VFM? IIRC, this was even mentioned in the review of the 1st-gen Seltos , that cars like the Seltos make the Compass feel overpriced.

Maybe the Harrier, Hector have better road-presence and a 'big-car' feel; but they can still sit 5 adults (excluding the Safari / Hector Plus). Hector might have a slight edge over the Seltos in terms of feature set, maybe.

I remember when the Compass was launched, a friend of mine who was shopping for Creta was even considering the Compass, given the price overlap. But 6 years now, and the Compass has gotten exorbitantly pricier!!
Old 18th August 2023, 13:36   #38
BHPian

I voted for the MG Hector/Hector Plus

Following are my reasons:
- If you are not interested in ADAS, the MG Hector Sharp Pro is one of most bang for your buck options available at this price point.
- Big on space and comfort. Sliding second row (Hector Plus) is a big plus.
- The Turbo Petrol is more than adequate for city runs and the odd highway commutes. If your primary requirement is for city, this is one of the smoothest SUVs out of the competition.
- Excellent build quality and the interior's finish feels from a segment above
- Commanding driving position. You feel like you are driving a proper SUV and not a namesake SUV (no pun intended )

Why I didn't vote for any other?

- Seltos: I love the facelift. Kia has done an excellent job. But if I compare the top end Kia to the MG hector, with very close pricing, you get a lot more bang for your buck. If you are not looking for anything of the size of the Hector, XUV700 or the Harrier, Seltos would have been my choice.

- Creta: I found the Creta interiors too plasticy when compared to the competition. Never liked the exterior design. I find the overall styling very odd.

- German Twins: IMHO, calling these 2 even a compact SUV/crossover is a joke. At best these are hatchbacks on steroids. On road, they look even smaller than a Brezza.

- Harrier-Safari: I love the Harrier's looks. Overall design is well propostioned and looks a most SUV of the lot. Lack of petrol and the hydraulic steering. Found both these too tiring to drive within city and bumper to bumper traffic. Also, was never a fan of the interior design

- XUV700: Fantastic SUV to drive. But was never a fan of its looks. Personally, didn't find the interior design to have the finesse of a premium SUV. Not taking into consideration the waiting period, but to me, it just never felt worth 30L OTR. Also, you miss out on many premium features if you don't want to opt for ADAS.

- Hyryder-Vitara: Efficiency king and one of the best looking SUVs IMO. Didn't vote for either as they are strictly 4 seater. Interiors feel too compact for an SUV. Glaring cost cutting and poor quality for many parts. The most annoying for me, the super thin panaromic shade.

Last edited by ankan_g : 18th August 2023 at 13:41.
Old 18th August 2023, 15:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Agreed, that they reside in different price brackets (higher), but doesn't the Compass feel 'overpriced' for what it offers; and that kinda makes the Seltos all the more VFM? IIRC, this was even mentioned in the review of the 1st-gen Seltos , that cars like the Seltos make the Compass feel overpriced.

Maybe the Harrier, Hector have better road-presence and a 'big-car' feel; but they can still sit 5 adults (excluding the Safari / Hector Plus). Hector might have a slight edge over the Seltos in terms of feature set, maybe.
Agree on your thoughts regarding the Compass. Current Compass is grossly overpriced, and should be compared with the other 5 seater CSUV styled cars.

But disagree on comparison with Hector and Harrier. Both are substantially larger and offer much better road presence, interior and boot space. This is something you can't equate with any "feature" the other smaller cars offer. They are also therefore priced more as well. Therefore I would club these with other 7 seater cars like XUV700, and not with the smaller 5 seater CSUV like cars.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 15:11   #40
BHPian

I simply loved the updates on the new Seltos. I did give it a showroom visit (did not take the TD) and boy it looked really good. Especially liked the proportions, doesn't look off to me from any angle. The Cabin feels premium as well with those brown seats and Panoramic sunroof, really stands out.

VW and Skoda lacks that presence and premium cabin.
Old 19th August 2023, 18:08   #41
BHPian

Going just by the sales numbers, Creta is ruling the roost and what's surprising is that the car is already 3yr+ on road and definitely not cheap. So whats making it tick with Indian buyers ?
Old 20th August 2023, 10:06   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
The major factor here would the 5 seating capacity. Agreed, that they reside in different price brackets (higher), but doesn't the Compass feel 'overpriced' for what it offers; and that kinda makes the Seltos all the more VFM? IIRC, this was even mentioned in the review of the 1st-gen Seltos , that cars like the Seltos make the Compass feel overpriced.
If seating 5 passengers is the only criteria then X1, GLA and Q3 can be added in the list. Please drive Compass and Seltos one after other and then compare; the quality and capabilities of Seltos is atleast 2 segment lower than Compass. It’s like comparing Mi phones having similar screen size and body with Iphones!

Last edited by Rahkehs : 20th August 2023 at 10:13.
Old 22nd August 2023, 10:04   #43
BHPian

Hello Friends ,

I am posting this question here at this point when we need to replace our aging Jetta TSI (manual) which has given us 6 years of trouble free service and still going strong

At the outset , let me confess that I am a sedan man and not a fan of stodgy road hogging SUVs but this vehicle will be used primarily to transport my better half on her official duites and will be driver driven.

Ride quality/passenger comfort /reliability are primary considerations.

On weekends I plan to use it when we go out together, ditching my Polo GT TSI for the more spacious vehicle.

I would have chosen a sedan but there no product at the price point around 30L , the Superb is beyond budget and the Verna / Virtus are a segment below hence not suitable.

Hence need to take a call on selecting a 5 seater SUV , petrol preferred but definitely automatic. Will be driven 120000 km in the next 5 years.

Jeep Compass - the one SUV I liked in terms of styling , build quality , make - but no petrol option and far too overpriced

Tucson - have read mixed reviews , at 35L it is a bit beyond budget but can stretch if it offers good value for next 5/6 years of rigourous city usage.

Alcazar - rather a nondescript vehicle , doesnt seem to have much personality , no idea about its performance, look forward to user feedback on this vehicle

Seltos - Am a bit circumspect about this vehicle , the various variants span 15L to 25L , bit of a mass market product , (ditto for Creta ) the not sure about the build quality

Hector - no idea , ditto about Tata & M&M offerings

Look forward to some pointers from the learned members of this forum

THANKS
Old 1st September 2023, 17:07   #44

Can’t vote yet. But I would go with VW Taigun. Reason being its the safest car in the segment for both adult and children alike as per GNCAP. In addition to that, it has a solid build, superior driving dynamics (try taking it to the twisties), sorted highway manners, good paint quality, and a very good ride quality. Just hope VW updates this car with ADAS, Panaromic sunroof, and a 360 cam as soon as possible. Highly doubt VW will do that. But it will be one heck of a contender with those additions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks