Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2023, 16:45   #16
BHPian

Re: 2023 Tata Safari versus Mahindra XUV700

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredbeard View Post
I really am not sure which one to go for.
If going for a manual transmission is a must, then I'd suggest you go with the XUV.

The Harrier/Safari twins have been known for premature clutch failures.

But, if you are somehow inclined to having Safari only, I'd suggest you look at Pure+ Sunroof persona with the automatic transmission. The Harrier and Safari twins are best enjoyed with the automatic transmissions.
r24x7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 23:23   #17
BHPian

From a driver's perspective, the XUV700 is easily the better vehicle, despite being outdated. It may not have as many features/gimmicks as the Tata but it certainly has a better engine and gearbox. If you're looking for a manual, XUV is a no-brainer. The AX5 variant you chose is fairly well-equipped for its price. Mahindra is no Maruti when it comes to A.S.S. but miles better than Tata in most cases.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 13:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Everything looks great on paper, but when it comes to the real life experience, Tata is far behind even when compared to Mahindra. I have been having fairly a good experience with Mahindra Service & Support. They are keen and genuinely listening to the issues and sorting out. But with Tata, what I hear, is not great. From product perspective as well, XUV 7OO seems to be slowly cleaned off of the niggles one by one compared to Safari or Harrier. Finally, Mahindra's drivetrain seems to be solid both Petrol and Diesel ATs/Manuals. Tata borrows everything from outside and seems to be facing issues still in the coordination part. So, in your position, I would go with Mahindra if given only these two options.

This remark perfectly captures my thoughts. As an enthusiast who values manual control, I believe you should prioritize a robust engine, smooth transmission, and exceptional ride and handling. Other aspects are merely superficial; in today's world, there's an excessive focus on features, but true enjoyment stems from driving with confidence, knowing the vehicle is safe for both you and fellow road users.

Occasionally, I'm tempted to upgrade my car, but every time I take the wheel and experience the compelling power of the 1.5 TDCI, the desire to upgrade fades away. This sensation cannot be replaced by superficial & gimmicky features.

I am confident that Mahindra's Internal Combustion Engines will bring you joy both in driving experience and in terms of reliability.

Last edited by Thyag : 30th October 2023 at 13:37.
Thyag is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 10:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Go through the ownership review threads of Safari and Harrier and tell me again if you are okay with there being a 50% chance you will become one of the owners lamenting about the endless problems that even Tata dealer service can't solve.
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 15:41   #20
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
So I recently booked the New Safari MT (Adventure+ Variant) and last week finally got a chance to take a test drive of the Harrier (they did NOT have Safari in Manual)

I really am not sure which one to go for.

Pros: (Over XUV700)
  1. 360-degree camera
  2. Electronic parking brake
  3. Terrain response mode - rough, wet and normal
  4. Sliding 2nd row
  5. Comfort of 3rd row
  6. Slightly better mileage than XUV700
  7. Rear window sunshade
  8. Looks and design

Cons:
  1. Left knee touches the central console
  2. Long clutch travel

Note: If you are inclined towards XUV700, please suggest the variant as well.
Go for Safari.
The delta price is justified by the feature list. I suggest, spending 45K more and getting ADAS/ESP (Safari Adventure+A). you will not feel outdated after 5 years.
Some of these features are not mandatory but in a car worth 23 Lakh these are a definite miss (some of them are mandatory like 360 camera, EPB, and Adaptive cruise control).

Regarding the Cons - Both the issues will get fed up once you find the best driving position and get habitual to it.

Last edited by satish.gawai : 31st October 2023 at 15:45.
satish.gawai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 15:25   #21

What modifications did you make for your XUV700 AX5? TPMS and Powerfold ORVM are essential but what else?
Old 5th November 2023, 11:45   #22

UPDATE

So I did go through with all the suggestions and comments and I have finally decided to go with the XUV700 AX5 7STR MT variant.

I really wanted the 360-degree camera and electronic parking brake that Safari's Adventure+ variant offers, and the interior and design make the car VFM. But then, the soul of the car remains the same. I don't intend to regret the heavy clutch in Indian traffic with my knee flirting with the center console.

So yes, I am going with the already outdated car for the refined engine, well-calibrated clutch, and smooth gearbox.

Why AX5?

AX5 seems like the VFM variant. I don't need electronically adjusted seats and cruise control. Push button start is not a deal breaker for me.
The rest of the things like Powerfold ORVM and TPMS I can install aftermarket. Also, I am thinking of getting the leather treatment on the dashboard and handrest with the seat covers.

So yup, going for the "outdated" car's "outdated" version.

Delivery next week!
theredbeard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 16:34   #23

We have also just booked a Safari Accomplished AT in cosmic gold. We have seen the Harrier, Hector/Plus, XUV700, Kia Seltos as well as the Hyundai Alcazar before this car. We felt that the Seltos was too small for our family and the Alcazar was crossed out from the beginning as one of our family friends had one. It was decent but we didn't like the way it looked. This left the XUV, Harrier, Hector and Safari. We left out the XUV because we generally liked the others better than this. The only reason the Hector was placed above the XUV was because of the discounts it had. The car was around 26 lakh on road compared to the 30+ lakh of the others. In the end, after taking reviews of close relatives regarding main issues plaguing the Hector, we decided on Tata. Now the choice fell between Safari and Harrier. Since we are a family of 6, we had to go for the Safari. The reason why we considered the Harrier was because my grandparents don't travel all the much. In the end, we decided on the Safari.

I feel that the Safari is a great option for any family of tall people and also those who prioritise comfort. The Safari also is pretty loaded with features in the top spec form. As the icing on top, it looks great.
Old 14th November 2023, 17:42   #24

Hey

Safari Accomplished AT is the best choice! Currently one of the best and the most updated versions with a lot of exciting features!

All the best!
theredbeard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 17:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE

So I did go through with all the suggestions and comments and I have finally decided to go with the XUV700 AX5 7STR MT variant.

I really wanted the 360-degree camera and electronic parking brake that Safari's Adventure+ variant offers, and the interior and design make the car VFM. But then, the soul of the car remains the same. I don't intend to regret the heavy clutch in Indian traffic with my knee flirting with the center console.

So yes, I am going with the already outdated car for the refined engine, well-calibrated clutch, and smooth gearbox.

Why AX5?

AX5 seems like the VFM variant. I don't need electronically adjusted seats and cruise control. Push button start is not a deal breaker for me.
The rest of the things like Powerfold ORVM and TPMS I can install aftermarket. Also, I am thinking of getting the leather treatment on the dashboard and handrest with the seat covers.

So yup, going for the "outdated" car's "outdated" version.

Delivery next week!
I think that is a wise choice. I too have a booking for the AX5 MT 7 str and the new Safari Pure (O). Both of these are neck to neck in terms of features and pricing and therefore equivalents in several aspects. I still haven't decided as my delivery date is in Feb, but mind says XUV is the safer bet.

Also, if possible please go for the AX5 "E" variant that comes with the optional ESP (if its a petrol, its standard on the diesels). Dont think you should skip on this safety feature when paying 23L. All the best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks