Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2023, 18:21   #1

2023 Tata Safari versus Mahindra XUV700

So I recently booked the New Safari MT (Adventure+ Variant) and last week finally got a chance to take a test drive of the Harrier (they did NOT have Safari in Manual)

I have always loved the MT cars over the ATs. MTs are more fun, and you are the one in control. Also, they are more fuel efficient.

The problem:
  1. The left knee touching the central console/dashboard problem still exists.
  2. The travel of the clutch is very long.
I have never owned a Tata car before. I have owned a couple of sedans before but no SUV.

Once I found a good position for driving, the knee problem was resolved. But the variant I have booked does not come with a memory seat function. I would have to adjust the seat every time I get in the car (I have a habit of sliding back my seat every time I get out) And I cannot extend my budget either.

I have been told that problem no. 2 will not be a problem if I get used to it.

I am spending 25+ Lac and have gotten a bit hesitant to decide which option to go for.

XUV700 AX5 model also looks good to me. XUV700 has been around for a couple of years and all the earlier problems have been addressed.

I really am not sure which one to go for.

New Safari (Adventure+ MT)

Price: 27Lac On Road

Pros: (Over XUV700)
  1. 360-degree camera
  2. Electronic parking brake
  3. Terrain response mode - rough, wet and normal
  4. Sliding 2nd row
  5. Comfort of 3rd row
  6. Slightly better mileage than XUV700
  7. Rear window sunshade
  8. Looks and design

Cons:
  1. Left knee touches the central console
  2. Long clutch travel
XUV700 (AX5 MT):

Price: 23.75 Lac On Road

Pros: (Over New Safari)
  1. Refined engine
  2. Ride quality
  3. Will save me about 3lac over the New Safari

Cons:
  1. 3rd row is not as comfortable
  2. Suspension noise (Not sure if this is resolved, did not feel this in TD)
  3. Not as practical/spacious as New Safari
  4. R17 wheels (Not a concern)
  5. No push button start (Not a concern)
  6. No cruise control (Not a concern)

Why am I comparing XUV700's AX5??
- Early delivery
- Except for Powerfold ORVM and TPMS (which can be installed aftermarket), everything is covered in AX5 (like LED projector headlamps, etc)
- I don't use Cruise control that much.

Note: If you are inclined towards XUV700, please suggest the variant as well.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th October 2023 at 21:20. Reason: Fixed a broken line.
theredbeard is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 22:08   #2
BHPian

re: 2023 Tata Safari versus Mahindra XUV700

Did you take a test drive of the XUV700?

I would personally suggest the Safari as I feel the 3 lakh over the XUV is worth it with all the features being offered. The XUV700 would be a safer buy as most niggles have been sorted out, but in the Variant you are considering, the Safari seems to be a more VFM buy according to me.

Best of luck. Do update on what you finally went with.
arnav17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 22:56   #3
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredbeard View Post
The problem:
  1. The left knee touching the central console/dashboard problem still exists.
  2. The travel of the clutch is very long.
I own a previous generation Harrier AT. Though my left leg is idle, the ergonomics could have been better. However after 4 months & 10k KMS I have gotten used to it.

Quote:
  1. Terrain response mode - rough, wet and normal
I have this in my car but I wouldn't really miss this feature if it were to be taken away. The drive modes (City, eco, Sports) are a more tangible feature and I love the sports mode.

Quote:
Pros: (Over New Safari)
  1. Refined engine
  2. Ride quality
  3. Wi
The safari definitely has more features and some may consider it as more bang for the buck however evaluate whether you would have a use case for the additional features.
Quote:
Cons:
  1. No push button start (Not a concern)
  2. No cruise control (Not a concern)
Push button start is not a deal breaker and neither is CC for some (I didn't get an XUV7oo because the mid variant had no CC) but I feel at this price point these features should be made available. End of the day you win some and you lose some but someone spending this kind of money should be given cruise control since this is rather difficult to retrofit aftermarket.

Last edited by ike : 27th October 2023 at 22:57.
Old 27th October 2023, 23:27   #4
BHPian

My close friend is unhappy with his Tata Safari. He has the top end XZ Plus AT Dark Edition. The check engine light gets on in his car by its own wish, without any issues.

He got it checked at Tata after sales service and they didn't resolve it. Instead, the service advisor says, "Sir aap toh chalao gadi, ye light to on off hoti rehti hai. Aap toh chalate raho gadi" (Sir, you just keep driving the car, this light will keep appearing off and on. You just keep driving the car).

This kind of thing never happens in Japanese or Korean cars. This clearly shows that Tata has made many quality compromises in its electronics and gizmos so that it can provide such a huge SUV at cheaper rates.

Never experienced this kind of thing in my Jeep Compass, Seltos or Mercedes. I will recommend you to have a look at Toyota Innova.

Last edited by Sheel : 31st October 2023 at 18:05. Reason: Please proof read your post before submitting it. Thanks.
vattyboy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 23:52   #5
BHPian

If your choice is manual only go with XUV, otherwise, there are better options in your budget like the Hycross.
manofinfinity is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 23:58   #6
BHPian

I would strongly recommend you to not consider Manual Transmission with Harrier/Safari. The clutch isn't calliberated well and it's just heavy and inconvenient. Secondly, the knee console issue is a serious ergonomic flaw and will come back to haunt you sooner or later.

You shouldn't be buying a ₹ 26-27 lac car and "getting used to" things. I went with a similar approach and now it has become inconvenient for me.

Having owned a Harrier for more than a year I would advise you to go for automatic or if it's the manual you want then simply opt for XUV 700.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 28th October 2023 at 00:01.
BleueNinja is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 00:08   #7
BHPian

I am a Safari owner and a very recent one before the facelift. I have started feeling that at 28 lacs it lacked precision engineering. Mind you I have had no persisting niggle. Perhaps with the EPS lot of it is solved. I would strongly recommend you to spend a lot of time in testing Safari or Harrier. Manual is a strict no. Don't get sold on a feature here and there. Most features and usage is limited and what one enjoys truly is the real car underneath. Look for that.
Rodie09 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 00:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vattyboy View Post

The check engine light gets on in his car by its own wish, without any issues.

He got checked it at TATA ASS and they didn't resolve it instead SA says " Sir aap toh Chalao Gadi ye light to on off hoti rehti hai, ap toh chalate rho gadi"..
Well in this regard Mahindra is not too far behind. My experience so far with Tata motors Service has been satisfactory. Many of us rarely quote our good experiences, thus building a narrative worse than what it actually is. True for all aspects of our lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
I Secondly, the knee console issue is a serious ergonomic flaw and will come back to haunt you sooner or later.

You shouldn't be buying a ₹ 26-27 lac car and "getting used to" things. I went with a similar approach and now it has become inconvenient for me.

Having owned a Harrier for more than a year I would advise you to go for automatic or if it's the manual you want then simply opt for XUV 700.
Go for an Automatic if you are looking at the Harrier/ Safari. Manual is ok to drive but the Auto is a pleasure. As for the left knee and console meeting up, I being 5’11” or so dont face this issue in my auto. In my colleague’s manual Safari too, really didn't encounter this issue. I am not the only one saying so.

However, take a few more TDs if you can before you part with the thirty big ones.
FLYBOYSID is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 09:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2023 Tata Safari versus Mahindra XUV700

I think your comparison is a bit unfair. You are comparing a 7 seater Safari with a 5 seater XUV 700. For the 3L extra paid for Safari over the XUV variant you mentioned you are getting 2 extra seats + host of features you already mentioned but negligible boot space (although the rear seats are foldable to give that extra luggage space).

Reg the knee touching the console, that's there in the Harrier Safari twins which can be negated with the seat adjustment (like I have done in my Harrier) which takes hardly a min to set if disturbed. I assume you have gone ahead with Safari booking post the test drives and comparison with the XUV.

I don't agree with lot of suggestions to opt for Automatic since I feel Manual is equally exciting to drive. Automatic many be suited for city driving but for the spirited highway runs the manual gives an equal if not more punch. Also the mention of the clutch being heavy isnt true IMO.

If still in doubt do the test drives again to reassure yourself.
ghodlur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 11:40   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Reg the knee touching the console, that's there in the Harrier Safari twins which can be negated with the seat adjustment (like I have done in my Harrier) which takes hardly a min to set if disturbed. I assume you have gone ahead with Safari booking post the test drives and comparison with the XUV....Also the mention of the clutch being heavy isnt true IMO.
Each person has different overall height and torso:leg ratio. I too can adjust the seat so that my knees don't touch the console, but then that would be too low a seat setting when you already 'sit in' the Harrier, than 'sit on' it. Then again, won't be a problem for driving around, until you find the huge blindspot created by the ORVM. And ofcourse, you can adjust the seat so that your knee doesn't hit the centre console and the ORVM no longer creates a blindspot. But then, you are sat too high with the seats biting into your underthighs for longer trips and clutch modulation won't be natural.

The clutch in the Harrier is light, but the tuning is not proper. Then again, in my buddy's 70k+ km run Harrier, the clutch has started to become harder with age. So it will become harder too with age along with the improper tuning/modulation. With the Harrier's dynamics one would be better off cruisin' than hustlin'.

Automatic it is for piece of mind in the case of Harrier/Safari, unless ones usage is 95% open highways.
DicKy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 10:05   #11
BHPian

I own a 2022 XUV 700 AX-5 MT, and have driven it for 50,000 KMs. I duely celebrated the 50K milestone by leaving the car in the service center to debug a check engine light warning.

Please note that the XUV 700 has long clutch travel too. However, I found the clutch to be well calibrated. The gear ratios are spot on. Overall, I don't think there's much to differentiate the Safari and the XUV.

If you're looking for a niggle free 7 seater, buy yourself a Crysta.

Last edited by buzzy_boy : 29th October 2023 at 10:08.
buzzy_boy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 11:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
So I recently booked the New Safari MT (Adventure+ Variant) and last week finally got a chance to take a test drive of the Harrier (they did NOT have Safari in Manual)

I have always loved the MT cars over the ATs. MTs are more fun, and you are the one in control. Also, they are more fuel efficient.

Hi theredbeard - If you are open to consider MG Hector Plus, then do take a test drive of Hector Plus Sharp Pro Diesel MT which will be around 27 lacs onroad Pune after discount. In my view Hector Plus is better sorted than Safari & XUV7OO. I also feel Hector Plus is much more premium with respect to interior look & feel.

However, in case MG is ruled out, then go for XUV7OO. It will give you comparatively better overall ownership experience than Safari.

Last edited by GoBabyGo : 29th October 2023 at 11:43.
Old 29th October 2023, 13:38   #13
BHPian

Which is the best value for money variant for the new Tata Safari facelift?

How does it compare to the xuv 700 in terms of price, features and value for money.
Old 29th October 2023, 13:52   #14
BHPian

Everything looks great on paper, but when it comes to the real life experience, Tata is far behind even when compared to Mahindra. I have been having fairly a good experience with Mahindra Service & Support. They are keen and genuinely listening to the issues and sorting out. But with Tata, what I hear, is not great. From product perspective as well, XUV 7OO seems to be slowly cleaned off of the niggles one by one compared to Safari or Harrier. Finally, Mahindra's drivetrain seems to be solid both Petrol and Diesel ATs/Manuals. Tata borrows everything from outside and seems to be facing issues still in the coordination part. So, in your position, I would go with Mahindra if given only these two options.
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 15:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:

I am spending 25+ Lac and have gotten a bit hesitant to decide which option to go for.

XUV700 AX5 model also looks good to me. XUV700 has been around for a couple of years and all the earlier problems have been addressed.

Hello. Hope you are doing well.
I feel Mahindra is far better in terms of QC and ASS than TATA. Earlier this year they openly published a problem and welcomed all XUV owners to get it solved. I personally love the butch design of the XUV700 and I do not trust TATA with so many electronics and gizmos. I would suggest go for the XUV700, brilliant engine and driving experience, better ASS and a solidly built car. I guess if you negotiate insurance and discounts, you can get the AX7 MT variant. I had also enquired about XUV700 AX7 D MT in Mumbai and it came around 28 including everything so if you are okay spending 27L might as well negotiate and get the XUV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks