Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: New Harrier or New Safari (as per my need)
Harrier 22 26.51%
Safari 7 seater 61 73.49%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2024, 13:52   #1
BHPian

2023 Tata Harrier Versus Tata Safari?

My Needs:
A Family 5 seater SUV for random road trips (not far away ones) and occasional city driving. This will be our biggest car in terms of size and money. So want that factor of luxury and style.
Already have 3 cars among a family of 5 (3 adults + 2 kids) This will replace the oldest of the lot (Verna fluidic) which we currently own.
Either of the car, we will be going for the Top model fully loaded version.
Both cars have the same engine, gearbox, creature comforts, features etc. So dilemma is between Harrier & Safari 7 seater.

We like the Harrier for its proper SUV look but I don't like the black and dark interior. The boring interior theme is the major deal breaker for me. Wish Safari accomplished style interiors were optional, let atleast the older model brown seats would have been nicer. For perspective, already have 2 cars with black interiors.

We like the interior look of the Safari a lot, even though the seats are White. The dual color steering wheel and boss mode is a nice touch. Wife says it looks bigger even though on paper the length is hardly 6 cm. The boot is comparatively less than Harrier. Road trips with 7 seater will not make sense as there will be no storage in the boot with the seats up and no roof carrier can be attached due to the sunroof. So during trips it will be used as a 5 seater with boot space.
deepjaju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 16:29   #2
BHPian

re: 2023 Tata Harrier Versus Tata Safari?

I would suggest go with Safari since you like its interiors more and your better half also prefers the latter.

Also, you can always lower the seats and create more luggage space in a safari but would not be able to accommodate more people in a harrier.

PS: Why not get both the cars to your home and if they allow do a luggage test on both the cars, that way it can help you to make your choice more clear?
Agarwal_Aayush is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 16:46   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwal_Aayush View Post
I would suggest go with Safari since you like its interiors more and your better half also prefers the latter.

Also, you can always lower the seats and create more luggage space in a safari but would not be able to accommodate more people in a harrier.

PS: Why not get both the cars to your home and if they allow do a luggage test on both the cars, that way it can help you to make your choice more clear?
Thanks for the advice.
The showrooms don't have a test drive vehicle yet. I did see both cars side by side in the showroom the other day. Its not night and day when it comes to luggage space as a 5 seater. Harrier boot is flat and Safari is slightly tilted due to the seat. Size wise didn't seem that different.
Old 3rd January 2024, 16:47   #4
BHPian

Price difference is not too high, you get the occasional flexibility of 5+2 seats, and the car looks more mature, in my opinion.

So, Safari it is!

PS: Strange though, I preferred dark interiors (of the dark edition) as the white interior is too white on Safari.
pmbabu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 17:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest Harrier since your basic requirement is a 5 seater and it ticks most of the boxes. The advantage of Harrier is a huge boot which can accommodate lot of luggage. The new Facelift version is loaded with all gizmos too.

My BIL owns a Safari and he does feel the pinch due to small boot when 7 people occupy the seats.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 17:47   #6
BHPian

When I was considering Harrier, my parents (who were with me at Tata showroom) also suggested to instead go for Safari since its marginally longer, but gives additional flexibility. I think if you have good usage for bucket/captain seats, then Safari will make more sense. However, if you need a car to accommodate 5 people and some luggage, then Safari may not be as efficient since the space will used by the person in the third row! My suggestion is that you can check the usable space based on your existing and proposed usage.

On a separate note, I didn't end up buying either as I wanted a petrol car so I went in a different direction altogether.
youknowitbetter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 18:11   #7
BHPian

These cars are so similar the decision is based on who you are as a personality.

As per some research released by Tata Motors themselves, Harrier tends to be preferred by younger folks and Safari is the preferred choice of a slightly more mature audience.

Harrier or Safari, either car can only be used for road trips only by 5 people (with luggage). The only situation where the Safari will be useful is if out of town friends/ relatives (/ in laws) visits and the whole group is doing short trips together. Since there is practically no boot space to speak of with 7 on board.

Given the use case, Harrier should be picked but if Home ministry likes the Safari better, so be it.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 18:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Am I missing something or folding down the last row of the Safari when needed causes some issues ?

Like you've observed, the Safari with the same width, 6-7cm increase in length and height(due to the rear bulge) for an option to accommodate 2 more passengers seems like a no brainer. Looks better too but that's subjective.
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 18:34   #9
BHPian

If looks can be kept aside, Safari is a clear choice. A Safari gives what Harrier gives but not vice versa.

However, if looks are most important then it's a personal choice and this whole thread has no meaning.
Rodie09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 19:28   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2023 Tata Harrier Versus Tata Safari?

IMHO, the Safari is totally worth the premium. Not only does it offer more, the Safari also looks better & has a more iconic nameplate. Lastly, even if you use that 3rd row of seats just 10 times a year (say, big group going to movies or a road-trip), you'll pat yourself on the back for the wise decision.

Voted for the Safari.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 19:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Come on, man! Safari's snob value is enough to justify the price difference over Harrier. Things such as better space, practicality etc. come later.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 22:09   #12
BHPian

I like the looks of the Harrier better but I will still prefer the Safari for following reasons:

1. Accomplished variant has beautiful white interiors, Harrier top variant doesnt feel as good inside.

2. Safari can be used as a six seater (one more than Harrier) on long drives with one of the last row seats folded to create additional luggage space.

3. Price difference isnt much for the value addition that Safari brings to the table.
46TheDoctor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 09:26   #13
BHPian

Generally, I lean towards vehicles equipped with third-row seats for the infrequent occasions when there are 6-7 passengers. However, in this particular case, my choice would be the Harrier, solely based on how awesome it looks. The Harrier exudes perfection in its appearance, whereas the Safari seems like an after-thought.
gnome is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 16:17   #14
BHPian

Thank you all for the quick response.

I went through everyone's response and even the poll suggests Safari for the win. After careful consideration have just completed the booking of the Safari Accomplished + Stardust Ash Color.
I am promised car will be available by end of this month. 2024 manufactured is also promised.
Sales guy is saying he will check for 2023 models and try for any discounts if possible. Should I go for the 2023 model or stick to the 2024 model ? Does the year make a difference somehow ?
deepjaju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 07:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Should I go for the 2023 model or stick to the 2024 model ? Does the year make a difference somehow ?
- I don't think any improvements have been made on the Safari since launch but there could be some silent ones like the steering off-center issue or display fixes.
- Then there is an angle of resale where your year of manufacture could play a role but I don't know much about it.
- I doubt if they will offer you a big enough discount to hold any sway value.
- Might not be true but an older car also runs the risk of having being rejected in another PDI or having being used for test drives.

If I was buying I would keep it all 2024 for ease and the sense of getting the latest version of everything.

Last edited by shancz : 5th January 2024 at 07:53. Reason: Rf, upd
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks