Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2024, 04:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dilemma - Wait for Electric 4x4 SUVs or go for the Hilux?

As said by many, the Hilux is an eyes closed purchase, for now. EV's that replicate the practicality and versatility of a Hilux will be a while away. Even if KIA do introduce their excellent EV9 in our market, I don't think you will want to use a vehicle like that for carrying wood (Just an example).

If you want to play the cheap card, you could consider the Mahindra Bolero. Its designed to take a beating, albeit will be a lot more crude than its competition. No 4x4 though but do you really need it? Alternatively the Isuzu UTE, an equally competent product like the Hilux. Just don't expect people signing blank cheques, like you would get for a Hilux.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 17:33   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
I have mentioned elsewhere the Hilux is available with 12 lakhs discount for 2024 make.
=====
Test drive and decide. With Toyota one never goes wrong especially those global products.
Would be able to share any contact for dealers that offering 12L? It would make sense to drive down from Bangalore for that deal.
Old 12th January 2024, 19:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix08 View Post
Would be able to share any contact for dealers that offering 12L? It would make sense to drive down from Bangalore for that deal.
Hi.
There are only two dealers in Chennai. Lanson is the one offering this much while the other one Harsha stopped at ten lakhs. I'll check with the person I am dealing with and will share his contact if he is comfortable.

EV is as UV isn't that practical even for Pick up crazy Americans forget about us Indians. Other than Rivian and the coming soon Tesla pick up, Hummer EV, Ford's Lightning there's nothing I can think of for the next ten years at least. They are all absurdly priced for any consideration for an UV. They are more like lifestyle products for Americans.

If budget allows go for Hilux otherwise something like Tata or VCross (barebone for its price) manual are the best options. VCross AT doesn't make any sense at all with Hilux's discounted pricing. 1.99 liter pony vs 2.8 liter monster of on engine and the literal size of Hilux, VCross doesn't stand a chance.

VCross AT 4x2 on road costs 28 lakhs approx while the 4x4 on road costs 32 lakhs. There is a discount being offered of around 2 to 2.5 lakhs. Even at 33 lakhs I'll go for Hilux if I am in your situation.

Last edited by sgmuser : 12th January 2024 at 19:22. Reason: Typo
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 20:14   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Any upcoming EV SUV's 4*4 in 2024 that are worth waiting for or is Hilux the best option
Go for Hilux, You will get a lot of opportunity in future to explore more EVs / 4x4 EVs. But a Diesel BOF with RWD construction is a dying breed and you will not get chance to experience this 5/7 years down

Now speaking rationally also, your use case seems pretty serious, hence cannot trust initial batches of 4x4 EVs (currently none offering both 4x4 & a reliable service network) for usage in the city outskirts.

Last edited by Asoon : 12th January 2024 at 20:15.
Asoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 21:14   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Never ever wait for a new model, unless it will be available tomorrow. You might be dead before the new model comes out. And there will be new model announced a few months after you got your new model.

It simply is not worth the wait and aggrevation I find.

Plan for the future but live in the present. Buy stuff now so you can enjoy it now.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 22:07   #21
BHPian

Hilux, Hilux, Hilux!

Sing as the tone of "Dulux, Dulux, Dulux"
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 23:24   #22

Quote:
Hey, were you able to find 12Lac discount? I am also willing to drive down for such a deal
Old 31st January 2024, 19:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash006 View Post
Hey, were you able to find 12Lac discount? I am also willing to drive down for such a deal
No. There was a 2023 model but looks like that has gone. As of now most dealers are offering 2-4 L discount only
Old 3rd February 2024, 13:47   #24
BHPian

A close friend has a similar setup in Belgaum. He has a farm, and the path goes through a water stream and whatnot.

He has bought a pre-owned Force (IIRC 2018) Gurkha and is super happy with this purchase.

Given the bench seats in the rear, carrying a lot of the load/cargo is very convenient and it can happily accommodate up to 6 workers with ease.

Given the size and suspension setup, it can surprisingly carry a lot of heavy load and of course, 4x4 is superb, with all diff locks.
Maybe, it can as well be a good workhorse for you.
Old 3rd February 2024, 15:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
No. There was a 2023 model but looks like that has gone. As of now most dealers are offering 2-4 L discount only
Discussed again first week of Jan and what I heard was that the offer applies to 2024 as well. I asked if he can match my insurance quote, he said yes. Then the accessories package is optional and mandatory. So, I see some potential for another 20-40k.

Another simple option is to have the Bolero pickup (not sure it's a 4*4 but very good for load and abuse) and give it some makeover like good alloys and an offroad focused tyres, if possible find some suspension upgrade, to make it more livable and save 15-20 lakhs, though no automatic transmission available.

Last edited by sgmuser : 3rd February 2024 at 15:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks