Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2024, 11:50   #1

Dilemma - Wait for Electric 4x4 SUVs or go for the Hilux?

I have a farm on the outskirts of Bangalore, the access to which is not the best and gets full of slush and potholes during rains. Outside the farm, in general I drive a fair amount and hence for safety prefer a 4*4. I currently have a Thar convertible that rocks but space becomes an issue esp for the farm trips.

Hilux seems to be the best option (assuming the discounts come back sometime in 2024), but I also want to be green. Any upcoming EV SUV's 4*4 in 2024 that are worth waiting for or is Hilux the best option. Looking to learn more about EVs and see inputs from the wise folks on the group..

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th January 2024 at 16:51.
asterix08 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 13:59   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dilemma - Wait for Electric 4x4 SUVs or go for the Hilux?

Go for the Hilux, or wait for the 4-door Thar which will solve your primary complaint of space with your current 2-door Thar.

I expect Mahindra & Tata to both launch AWD Electric SUVs in 2024-25, but would recommend avoiding the initial versions. These companies & their customers will both be testing the newly launched products.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 14:08   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Your requirement is perfect for the work horse Hilux. There is no other product which matches your 'farm' requirements.

The electrics may feel green now, but I don’t think they are 'real green' as of now. For the hard amount of torture and capabilities farm road/requirements throws, no electric SUVs can handle it.

Get the max offers out there and go Hilux'ing

Last edited by Axe77 : 12th January 2024 at 06:12. Reason: Minor clean up edits.
thebikemaster is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 14:12   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Definitely consider the Hilux if you require the cargo bed to transport materials and produce.

Else you can go to Azad in Hosakote and do the tumble fold modification as I have done in my Thar. It liberates significant space in the back and suddenly the WRONGLER has become a hugely practical, powerful, tough, go-anywhere, load-carrying runabout ! (See pic attached.)

This modification cost me about 5K and he has some other options too which may carry different pricing.

Azad Contact: Saksham Kaul: +91 99801 37004

Ref EV’s. I am also interested in them as an alternate-fuelled mobility option. They really are a blast to drive but they cannot at the moment, be said to be ‘Green’ in the strictest sense of the word. The Ioniq5 and EV6 are really gorgeous. There is a lot of discussion on the various EV threads on the forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Dilemma - Wait for Electric 4x4 SUVs or go for the Hilux?-img_1484.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th January 2024 at 14:16.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 14:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Definitely consider the Hilux if you require the cargo bed to transport materials and produce.
Else you can go to Azad in Hosakote and do the tumble fold modification as I have done. It liberates significant space in the back and suddenly the WRONGLER has become a hugely practical, powerful, tough, go-anywhere, load-carrying runabout ! (See pic attached.)

Ref EV’s. I am also interested in them as an alternate-fuelled mobility option. They really are a blast to drive. The Ioniq5 and EV6 are really gorgeous. There is a lot of discussion on the various EV threads on the forum.
Thanks! Thats a great suggestion. Is there a lot of clanking sound from the seats due to this mod? I have mixed feedback.
asterix08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 15:00   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix08 View Post
Thanks! Thats a great suggestion. Is there a lot of clanking sound from the seats due to this mod? I have mixed feedback.
No clanking and clunking at all. My Thar doesnt rattle at all actually. While the inherent weight of the seat itself when tumbled, keeps it stable, it is nice to further secure the tumbled seat with those luggage stays/ ties.
This is probably the most useful modification to the Thar, which especially benefits solo or duo drivers who want to carry luggage or cargo at the rear.
As in the case of the Wrangler Willys 3 door, the Mahindra folks ought to have given this from the factory itself. But no matter, it is a very simple job and can be achieved in 2 hours or 3 max, on site at Azad. Best go early. Be the first customer. Get the job done as soon as they open at 930. Get out of there by 12 noon.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 17:36   #7
Team-BHP Support

I’d vote for the Hilux. I have heard that Hilux is continuing to be sold with 10 lakh rupee discounts even into 2024 so it’s a good time to pick it up at the right price. It sounds like the perfect solution for you. (Top of line AT are being retailed at 37’ish on road in MH is what I’d heard).

I would wait for EV 4x4 options to come and even settle in well via an iteration or two before betting on them. The good thing with the Hilux bought at right price is that as a Toyota, it’ll hold its value well, whether you sell in 3 - 4 years or even if you sell a bit later around 5 - 8 years. It won’t be a depreciation disaster I hope despite being a niche lifestyle vehicle.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th January 2024 at 17:57.
Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 09:46   #8
BHPian

To be very honest, the Hilux fits your needs perfectly. EV pickups are going to take a long time to come to India.
But you do have to splurge a bit, I am sure you wont be going for the manual variants, and the High AT variant could clost 35~38 lakh rupees, but its a Toyota, so its worth it.
You could get a EV to commute in the city, I noticed your location is in Bangalore.
Raghav07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 10:51   #9
BHPian

There are only a handful of off road capable 4x4 EVs even globally. Stuff like the Rivian twins, Tesla Cybertruck etc which can truly handle the rough stuff. It will be a really long time before these can make it to India, if at all the companies that make them even plan to enter our market.

Powertrain wise (by the virtue of having an independent motor on each axle) AWD EV crossovers might be marginally more capable than comparable AWD ICE cars, but chassis wise they cannot come close to bonafide ladder frame 4X4s.

Go for the Hilux. It is also a very "green"/ sustainable option because you can hang on to it for at least a couple of decades (barring legislation), thereby ensuring a smaller carbon footprint. An even greener option is to convert your Thar as Shankar mentioned and hanging on to it for over 10 years.

The greenest option is to ensure that a new car is not manufactured from scratch at all (hanging on to what you have instead).
ashivas89 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 12:01   #10
BHPian

India is at least 4-5 years away from competent 4x4 EVs' and their requirements. Hilux at the discounted prices is a no-brainer. Fortuner hybrid is likely to launch this year but I won't be surprised if they ask 60-70 lakh for it. For now, get a Hilux and modify it to something like this and you have an indestructible go-anywhere vehicle for years-
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5690465 (Toyota Hilux Review)
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 12:20   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix08 View Post
...but I also want to be green. Any upcoming EV SUV's 4*4 in 2024 that are worth waiting for or is Hilux the best option. Looking to learn more about EVs and see inputs from the wise folks on the group..
I dont think there are any proper true blue 4x4 E-SUV's expected. However a lot of lifestyle ones will be launched.

The way I see it, you are the perfect target customer for the HiLux/ Double Cab UTE/Pickup..
Old 11th January 2024, 20:08   #12
BHPian

Hilux seems to be a good option. However, if you are not bothered about luxury and need a spacious 4x4 vehicle with basic amenities and a cargo bed, try Bolero camper double cabin. Isuzu is another option.
theunstabledesi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 20:14   #13
BHPian

I have mentioned elsewhere the Hilux is available with 12 lakhs discount for 2024 make. Insurance and optional accessories package could be still haggled to squeeze out more. I was told around 33 on road. Thar 4 doors cannot be compared to some thing like Hilux. Hilux is in a different league. I test drove for a decent distance and the way it handles rough (really bad actually) patches are so matured. It's basically indestructible and next only to his old brother Landcruiser 70 when it comes to reliability but far more livable and modern. Only or two issues are the length and highway manners to some extent due to the leaf spring set up at the rear. I wouldn't want to touch any Mahindra at least for two full years after they are launched new. 4 door Thar might touch 20+ lakhs on road very easily. Hilux comes with 7 airbags plus 500 nm torque. Test drive and decide. With Toyota one never goes wrong especially those global products.

Last edited by sgmuser : 11th January 2024 at 20:16.
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 23:56   #14
BHPian

We arent expecting any 4x4 EV SUVs in 2024/25 which can be trusted right away for the reliability. Maybe after a year or two after their launch we can consider them.

For your intended purpose, i will recommend only body on frame SUVs, their ruggedness and reliability is really special. We arent expecting any BOF EVs anytime soon.

So you should go for Hilux (Ofcourse at a heavily discounted price only), it can serve you for decades to come without any worries. I am speaking from own experience after 10 years and 1,20,000 km of my Pajero Sport (which still runs like charm) that BoF SUVs is the way to go if you want to do broken roads and rugged use for decades to come.
Old 12th January 2024, 03:58   #15
BHPian

Being a Thar owner for 2 years, I would suggest Hilux.

Your farm adventures sound like quite the challenge with those slushy and pothole-filled roads. The Thar convertible must be a blast, but I get the space concern, especially for farm trips.

Considering your interest in a 4x4 and the need for a spacious and green option, the Hilux is a solid choice if discounts align in 2024. However, if you're leaning towards an electric SUV, there are exciting options on the horizon.

Keep an eye out for the upcoming EVs in 2024. Many Brands are rolling out some fantastic electric SUVs, and you might find the perfect blend of eco-friendliness and off-road capability. Feel free to dive into the EV world – it's electrifying, to say the least!

Looking forward to hearing what the wise folks in the group suggest! Happy trails! 🚗

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks