Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2024, 17:25   #1
Bit
BHPian

The Mighty Mahindra Thar | Petrol vs Diesel for better resale?

Once the heart is set on a Thar Automatic, there is no backing out. However the question here is the fuel type that has been baffling me. My monthly run would be around 500-700 KMs at maximum with the car being parked idle for even upto a month at times.

Now, the obvious suggestion for my running requirement would be the Petrol. I’m from MP where there is no apparent Diesel ban (at least as of yet) but fuel prices are on the higher side (Petrol at 110 RS, Diesel at 95). With the abysmal FE of 5-6 KMPL for Thar Petrol AT, I have the following questions:

1. What would be the reselling price for a Thar Petrol AT? I plan to keep the car for 3-5 years and I’ve heard that that the used-car market doesn’t really appreciate Petrol AT Thars to the extent they don’t even find any takers! Is this true? This is my biggest concern.

Also, is the depreciation hit more pronounced in RWD vs 4 x 4?

2. How much is the difference in the maintenance/service cost of petrol vs diesel Thar, including DPF issues (if any).

3. And finally, @Aditya’s words from the Official review “The diesel is very smooth & peppy. In fact, after spending time with it, we were hard-pressed to think why anyone would buy the petrol over this (main market = Delhi-NCR & its 10-year limit on diesel cars). Not like the Thar Petrol is substantially cheaper to buy either. The diesel will give you higher FE than the petrol, a longer tank range (important for highways & offroading) and durability (going by Mahindra's long expertise with diesels). “

Would I be a fool to take the Petrol Thar then?

All suggestions are appreciated to help a confused soul.

Last edited by Bit : 17th January 2024 at 17:45.
Bit is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 17:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Mighty Mahindra Thar | Petrol vs Diesel for better resale?

Petrol AT with Convertible top.

Black if you like black , Red if there is plenty of greenery around.

Drive around in the night with the top open, enjoy a new way of motoring.
Kosfactor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 18:09   #3
Bit
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Petrol AT with Convertible top.

Black if you like black , Red if there is plenty of greenery around.

Drive around in the night with the top open, enjoy a new way of motoring.
Thanks a lot. The color and top is already decided: Black Hard

The dilemma is only about petrol vs diesel. When teambhp stresses something in their official review, it is supposed to be taken seriously!

Thus, any comments on the resale value?

Last edited by Bit : 17th January 2024 at 18:16.
Old 17th January 2024, 18:48   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I own a Petrol Hardtop Thar.
If you love the vehicle and have a use for it, I would suggest best to not over think.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 18:59   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
The dilemma is only about petrol vs diesel. any comments on the resale value?
Diesel will be my preference. It's pretty refined and whatever shortcomings are there, it mostly involves steering and the ride. Your running expenses will be lower, and so will it have better resales. Beyond NCR, I don't think of any negative reasons. Even here, I helped a friend book an X7 in Diesel recently, as his running is higher, and he hasn't kept the car for more than 4-5 Years.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 19:41   #6
Bit
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Also, one-liner posts are best avoided.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 18th January 2024 at 10:17.
Bit is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th January 2024, 19:51   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

My running is 700-800 kms per month average. I find Petrol to be sensible for this kind of running. The Diesel requires regular highway runs at constant speeds because it requires one to keep the revs constant for reasonable periods of time, else that DPF clogging issue keeps popping up.

Last edited by GTO : 18th January 2024 at 10:18. Reason: Quoted post deleted
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 20:38   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

For very low runs in kilometers, go for the petrol. I do a lot of highway runs, so, I went for the diesel.
I have covered 15,000 kms in 9 months. My use case warrants a diesel whereas at 500 kms use, go for petrol. DPF clogging would be another issue you can avoid
Cheers
Old 17th January 2024, 21:02   #9
BHPian

For better resale= Diesel
But,
For your use case Petrol.

mStallion 150 petrol engine offers superior performance than the Diesel.
vattyboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 21:26   #10
Bit
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
My running is 700-800 kms per month average. I find Petrol to be sensible for this kind of running. The Diesel requires regular highway runs at constant speeds because it requires one to keep the revs constant for reasonable periods of time, else that DPF clogging issue keeps popping up.
You guys have confused me even more. Every second reply switches between Petrol and Diesel
Bit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 08:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
You guys have confused me even more. Every second reply switches between Petrol and Diesel
Ha ha, that's not very unusual in opinion threads. Everyone has his or her preferences because of which opinion would be given.

I would say calculate the cost factor. The premium that you will pay for Diesel would that be more or less than the cost savings you get for Diesel i.e fuel cost, mileage and resale value for a period of say 5 years.

Based on this calculation, make the decision.
SidTheChamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 08:40   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Your use case - Petrol
Resales - Diesel

So, if you are concerned about resales at the time of buying, get a Diesel. As I mentioned, you won't miss Petrol if you get Diesel, it's a heavy Jeep and not a sports car.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 10:16   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Mighty Mahindra Thar | Petrol vs Diesel for better resale?

Buying a car purely for resale is the wrong attitude. It's like staying at the Taj and ordering a naan less to save money.

Buy a car to enjoy the ownership experience & drive quality.

Quote:
Once the heart is set on a Thar Automatic, there is no backing out. However the question here is the fuel type that has been baffling me. My monthly run would be around 500-700 KMs at maximum with the car being parked idle for even upto a month at times.
My situation was similar. I chose the petrol for its performance, refinement & zero-DPF / BS6 hardware issues.

Quote:
What would be the reselling price for a Thar Petrol AT? I plan to keep the car for 3-5 years and I’ve heard that that the used-car market doesn’t really appreciate Petrol AT Thars to the extent they don’t even find any takers! Is this true? This is my biggest concern.
Poor. In the history of the Indian car scene, if there is a petrol-guzzling SUV and it has a fuel-efficient diesel sibling, the diesel has better resale while the petrol is a depreciation disaster.

I don't understand why you are hellbent on selling it in 3 - 5 years? Why not buy the right car and hold onto it for longer? In a BHPian poll, 75% voted for owning a car for 8 - 10 years - link (Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?).

If you still want to drive it for just 3 years, then buy a used Petrol Thar. You'll get it for a great price and then don't have to worry about depreciation.
GTO is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 10:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you buy a well maintained used petrol Thar AT itself? This will take care of the resale value.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 18th January 2024 at 10:34.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 10:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

I would pick a diesel over petrol.
The efficiency of petrol is very poor and diesel is not like it is unrefined or riddled with issues.
There are a couple of friends in my circle who have switched from petrol to diesel thars.
It checks your better resale requirement too.
Happy shopping

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks