Re: SUV for my retired parents

Thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
If you're okay with the price of Tucson then do consider Hycross
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
If you are considering Tuscon at that budget I would suggest Hycross for sure
Hycross was considered but waiting periods are an issue. We need the car within the next few months as the City will soon be illegal on Delhi NCR roads. Will give it another look though. Maybe the Invicto has shorter wait times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If you don’t mind the spares costs on a Tucson perhaps you can find a 2020/21 Honda CRV from a Honda autoterrace dealer and work in a warranty with the deal.
That’s an interesting option! Will check out used CR-Vs as well.

[/quote]=sjain2054;5703817]Unless there is some other car buying factor that you have not told us, I think it is very evident that Hyundai Tuscon is the apt car for your parents. The most important thing is that they have seen it in person and loved it.
[/quote]

Heart says Tucson, head says Alcazar! Will test drive the Tucson soon.
Old 21st January 2024, 23:01   #17
BHPian

Thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Sorry but an electric car is the only one that makes sense for you. Since you have the budget for a Tucson, please wipe out the Tatas and the MGs from your list and focus on luxury EVs like the one from Volvo. And you can probably keep this car until it falls apart. I think you folks will prefer the electric car comfort over ICE as well.
Tucson is already a stretch, Volvo is way out of reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
If you're okay with the price of Tucson then do consider Hycross as the price will be in the same ballpark or may be lower for VX trims.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
If you are considering Tuscon at that budget I would suggest Hycross for sure
Hycross waiting periods are too high. We need the car within the next 3-4 months. Will give it another look though. Maybe the Invicto has shorter wait times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If you don’t mind the spares costs on a Tucson perhaps you can find a 2020/21 Honda CRV from a Honda autoterrace dealer and work in a warranty with the deal.
Thanks! That’s an interesting option. Will search for used CR-Vs as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashivas89 View Post
The Tucson is your best bet. Built well and to international standards. It will be a truly premium feeling retirement wagon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
Unless there is some other car buying factor that you have not told us, I think it is very evident that Hyundai Tuscon is the apt car for your parents. The most important thing is that they have seen it in person and loved it.

Just get the Tuscon!
Will test drive the Tucson soon and keep you all posted!
Old 22nd January 2024, 09:12   #18
BHPian

Re: Urban SUV for my retired parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post

Key questions

- Apart from the Tucson and Alcazar, are we missing any options? Any other car we should consider?
- How easy/difficult is it to maintain a Tucson over a period of 10 years? Would love to hear experiences of people who've owned premium Hyundais over a long time period
- How do Alcazar owners feel about their cars? Would love to hear about their ownership experiences

A huge thanks to everyone in advance! Looking forward to thoughts and suggestions.
Purely for parents, I would go eyes closed for the XL6 or the Elevate
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 10:33   #19

Why dont you explore Mahindra Scorpio N? Its a real value for money car. Handles both City and highway roads quite easily. You will also get most of the features in XUV 700 barring ADAS and other features which you can live without.

I would personally not go with the Korean twins of Alcazar and Carens. The third row at best fits kids. Why pay a premium when you cant make use of the third row?
Katryks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 11:59   #20
BHPian

Since your not ok with Hycross' waiting period and huge size, I'd suggest taking a look at XL6. It's a Maruti and it will be a fuss free ownership. The car is effortless in city and highways. The captain seats are very comfortable. It could be the perfect car for senior citizens.
venukrithish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 12:00   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Hycross waiting periods are too high. We need the car within the next 3-4 months. Will give it another look though. Maybe the Invicto has shorter wait times?
Hello, I think you should really consider the Innova Hycross VX or VX(o). The dealership does quote 12-15 months, but if you look at the Innova threads, most VX and VX(o) deliveries are within 3-5 months from the date of booking. I had booked a VX (o) back in November 2023, and by mid January, my waitlist number was 3. I believe my car would have been ready for delivery by end of Jan or mid of Feb had I not cancelled my booking.

I had test driven the Hycross and Tucson. Both feel stable and sure footed, but the Tucson Petrol doesn’t have the same initial pick up as the Innova. Innova is also far more fuel efficient due to the hybrid tech and also offers a much more practical cabin as far as storage and seating are concerned. Further, in the long run, Innova parts will be very easy to find, because these cars are so popular. With the Tucson, there are very few cars on the road, and going by what I’ve heard and read about the old gen Tucson, Sonata etc, once the car ages, parts are difficult to source, even at the service centre.

The only point on which I found the Tucson to be far superior was in terms of touch and feel of the interiors and the audio system. However, I think the advantages of the Innova would matter a lot more to your parents.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 14:30   #22
BHPian

Buy the Innova and gift peace of mind to your parents for the next 1.5 decade. This will take care for in city and highway use too.
gauravdgr8 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 14:33   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Requirements

- SUV/Crossover
- Petrol + AT
- 5 seats good, 6-7 seats even better
- Needs to be spacious with a nice interior ambience
- Refined
- User friendly
- Peace of mind: This car is going to be with us for 10 years minimum. Hence long term reliability and reasonable maintenance costs are non negotiable
- Usage: 90% city, 10% highway

But firstly, it's a huge budget stretch. Secondly, it's a CKD which likely means heavy maintenance costs.
I am familiar with the Tucson pull, it's an absolute art on wheels. But the problem is that the best variant of the Tucson is the diesel, not the sedate 2.0L NA petrol. Secondly, it is not a cheap to maintain, and with the rising maintenance costs of Hyundais, it is only going to become more expensive. Overall, if you're set on the Tucson, go for the diesel or look elsewhere.
Coming to the alternatives, Alcazar and Carens both are great choices but I personally prefer the Carens. The 1.5L AT has enough power for your needs, ample of space and reasonable maintenance cost. If you're looking to spend more, then the Maruti (Toyota) Invicto is a no-brainer. You get a super reliable, cheap to run and maintain, spacious 7 seater that your parents will love. The only issue is the waiting period which seems to differ from place to place.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 16:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

Whatever car/SUV may be, buy a 360-degree camera setup. It will make the job of parking, and backing up easy. Also, check with them if your parents are ok to move from MT to AT or otherwise.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 18:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Heart says Tucson, head says Alcazar! Will test drive the Tucson soon.
FYI -

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/hyunda...ount-rs-2-lakh
sjain2054 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 20:00   #26
ike
BHPian

Quote:

Final shortlist

Kia Carens
Hyundai Alcazar

Almost zeroed in on the Alcazar. We know that it is due for a facelift on the lines of the Creta. But we can't wait any longer and need a car within the next 3-4 months.
What exactly is the USP of the Alcazar? The way I see it, it is neither spacious nor really great to drive. Carens might be superior here.
ike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 23:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:

Carens was owned by mom’s office and used by us extensively. Not bought or sold by us. Apologies for the confusion.
So you have shortlisted Carens again? Was it lacking something that you are looking for in other options.

My guess being you shortlisted it again because you like it, so trying to understand what you didn’t like so makes our life easier to suggest something different.

Edit:
My bad just saw:
Cons: Design, boring to drive, concerns over 3-star NCAP rating

Last edited by SideView : 22nd January 2024 at 23:07. Reason: Adding edit
Old 13th February 2024, 22:16   #28
BHPian

For the price an Alcazar or Carens top variant commands, XUV700/Scorpio N mid variants offer incredible value with their 5 star ratings and hoot-to-drive petrol engines. Mileage and maintenance will be almost similar to the Hyundai/Kia 1.5 turbo-petrol. You may face a niggle or two but these vehicles have been in the market for a good time now and I don't expect any surprises.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks