Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2024, 10:28   #1
BHPian

Urban SUV for my retired parents

Hello everyone! I’ve been an avid reader on Team BHP for a few years now. This forum is truly commendable in terms of the resources and unbiased reviews.

Would like some help in choosing a retirement vehicle for my 60 something parents.

TL;DR

60-something parents, soon to retire. Have worked hard all their lives. Currently own a 2009 Honda City. Now it's time for an upgrade. Almost decided on the Kia Carens or Hyundai Alcazar, but tempted by the Hyundai Tucson.

Seeking inputs on: Any other options to be considered; long-term reliability and maintenance costs of a Tucson.

For the ones brave enough to read a long post, here goes -

Previous cars and context

Primary
Maruti 800 (1998 - 2009)
Hyundai Santro (2003 - 2017)
Honda City 1.5 S M/T (2009 - Present)

Experienced for a short duration
Fiat Palio 1.2 (2007)
Kia Carens 1.4 DCT (2022- 2023)

We’ve had a fantastic ownership experience with the City. Despite being almost 15 years old, the car still runs like a dream. No rattles, no strange noises, and the car feels as tight as it did back in 2009. The only issue is that the suspension is a bit worn out, but that can easily be fixed.

However, my parents will be retiring soon and it’s time for an upgrade. Furthermore, thanks to Delhi NCR’s ridiculous 15-year rule, the City will have to be sold, which means that the new car is going to be our primary car.

Requirements

- SUV/Crossover
- Petrol + AT
- 5 seats good, 6-7 seats even better
- Needs to be spacious with a nice interior ambience
- Refined
- User friendly
- Peace of mind: This car is going to be with us for 10 years minimum. Hence long term reliability and reasonable maintenance costs are non negotiable
- Usage: 90% city, 10% highway

Options considered

Tata Harrier/Safari
Fantastic looking cars. Diesel only, concerns over niggles and reliability. Rejected with a heavy heart.

Toyota Innova Hycross/Maruti Invicto
Ultimate peace of mind and very low running costs. However, top variants are out of our budget, waiting times are too high, interiors feel utilitarian and the car is too large to be used as a primary car.

Honda Elevate 1.5 CVT
Pros: Great suspension tune, decent interior, we liked the design, peace of mind that comes with Honda
Cons: Doesn’t feel like an upgrade from a City, average noise insulation, lacks features

MG Hector Petrol CVT
Pros: Fantastic interior ambience, big car feel
Cons: Fuel economy reports, concerns over long term reliability, that giant tablet on the dash

Maruti Grand Vitara / Toyota Hyryder Hybrid
Pros: Fuel economy, peace of mind, suspension
Cons: Noise insulation, cabin doesn’t feel premium

VW Taigun / Škoda Kushaq 1.0 TSI AT
Pros: Design, solid build, handling, 5-star NCAP rating
Cons: Cramped cabin, concerns over long term reliability
1.5 DSG not considered due to reliability concerns

Mahindra XUV700 Petrol AT
Pros: Design, power, space, features, 5-star NCAP rating. This car truly has it all
Cons: Fuel economy, concerns over niggles and long term reliability

Kia Seltos 1.5 Turbo DCT
Pros: Design, handling, features, silent cabin
Cons: Space, average ride quality, concerns over 3-star NCAP rating

Kia Carens 1.5 Turbo DCT
Pros: SPACE, interior ambience, silent cabin
Cons: Design, boring to drive, concerns over 3-star NCAP rating

Hyundai Creta/Alcazar 1.5 Turbo DCT
Pros: Features, silent cabin, nice ride quality, silent cabin, space
Cons: Weird design, concerns over 3-star NCAP rating, waiting period (Creta)

Final shortlist

Kia Carens
Hyundai Alcazar

Almost zeroed in on the Alcazar. We know that it is due for a facelift on the lines of the Creta. But we can't wait any longer and need a car within the next 3-4 months.

The twist

Checking out the Alcazar in Hyundai’s showroom. Car feels nice. Third row is good for occasional use (Carens has a better third row though). Seats can be folded and middle row slides back to create good 2nd row legroom and space for our dog in the back. Car won’t win any beauty contests, but we can live with it.

Right next to the Alcazar, is a Tucson in the amazing Amazon Grey colour. We decide to check it out just for kicks, and we are hooked. The car has that wow factor. Massive space, futuristic design. Enquired about the price. The delta between the Alcazar and Tucson will be roughly 8-9 lakhs.

Heart definitely says Tucson. But firstly, it's a huge budget stretch. Secondly, it's a CKD which likely means heavy maintenance costs.

Key questions

- Apart from the Tucson and Alcazar, are we missing any options? Any other car we should consider?
- How easy/difficult is it to maintain a Tucson over a period of 10 years? Would love to hear experiences of people who've owned premium Hyundais over a long time period
- How do Alcazar owners feel about their cars? Would love to hear about their ownership experiences

A huge thanks to everyone in advance! Looking forward to thoughts and suggestions.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 21st January 2024 at 10:35.
Aaron:) is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 10:57   #2
BHPian

re: Urban SUV for my retired parents

Don't you want to try electric? Perhaps MG ZS EV.
Since 90 percent is City driving, it will be a great option provided you have a place in your parking to install a charger. Imagine, no runs to the petrol station. Running costs are a fraction of petrol vehicles.
Take a test drive...No harm.

Other electric options are
BYD Atto 3 : interiors are a bit wonky.
Tata Nexon, or wait for newer launches by Tata.
Look at other manufacturers too. I only suggested MG ZS EV due to the budget range of the other cars in your list.
Seeler_Rebeiro is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 11:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Urban SUV for my retired parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Hello everyone! I’ve been an avid reader on Team BHP for a few years now.
Do you really need the 6 seats? If yes, get the Carens. I recently evaluated this car extensively, but went with Seltos GT Line DCT. Simply because I didn't need the 6 seats. I would suggest to look beyond the 3 star NCAP rating, as the biggest safety asset one can have is the driver behind the wheel and the active and passive safety features (one which Carens has in plenty, and they all work as intended).

If you need only 5 seats would suggest to go for Creta/Seltos in their CVT avatar. Hyundai-Kia reliability and peace of mind with great interiors and comfort features. Ride quality has also been improved greatly in both over their 2019 avatars (personal experience with Seltos FL 17 and 18 inch wheels).
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 12:16   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Urban SUV for my retired parents

Quote:
60-something parents, soon to retire. Have worked hard all their lives.
Quote:
Enquired about the price. The delta between the Alcazar and Tucson will be roughly 8-9 lakhs.
Since your folks keep cars for a long 15-years, the price premium is totally worth it. Divide the price difference by number of years of ownership and it's hardly anything for what is a vastly superior car. The Tucson is a full-on global product sold in the most mature markets and has the quality / engineering to match. Your parents have worked hard, let them enjoy the fruits now with what will be their "sunset" car. Only condition = the extra cost isn't detrimental to their retirement funds or lifestyle.

Between the Alcazar & Carens, I think they'll be happier with the Carens (you said "6-7 seats even better" which means you will clearly use the extra row from time to time). It has excellent ride quality too.

But really, just get the Tucson for them. Please read my article on this topic once (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)).
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 13:07   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

When you want a fuss free ownership experience for 10 years for your parents, you should keep these Koreans away. They are best sold off in 4 years or rather not bought in the first place.

Something the size of Elevate actually fits the bill perfectly. It will remain fuss free like your Honda City.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 13:11   #6
BHPian

Re: SUV for my retired parents

Quote:

TL;DR

60-something Almost decided on the Kia Carens or Hyundai Alcazar, but tempted by the Hyundai Tucson.

Seeking inputs on: Any other options to be considered; long-term reliability and maintenance costs of a Tucson.

Owned for a short duration
Fiat Palio 1.2 (2007)
Kia Carens 1.4 DCT (2022- 2023)

Curious why you sold off carens early and then you have shortlisted it again?
SideView is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 13:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
When you want a fuss free ownership experience for 10 years for your parents, you should keep these Koreans away. They are best sold off in 4 years or rather not bought in the first place.

Something the size of Elevate actually fits the bill perfectly. It will remain fuss free like your Honda City.
Wow!! Could not resist asking reason for such a strong statement against the Korean twins. Reliability has been a strong point of Hyundai and that's how they have built their reputation in India. Fuss free ownership. Hyundai has come a long way and people's interest in Kia shows the same for that brand too.
I have been a Hyundai user for 20 years now - Santro and Verna - peace of mind is all I can say about Hyundai.
I would suggest a Creta anyday over the new age Honda Elevate etc. Honda quality and reputation over the years has only gone down and numbers do show that.
Rodie09 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 13:34   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Wow!! Could not resist asking reason for such a strong statement against the Korean twins. Reliability has been a strong point of Hyundai and that's how they have built their reputation in India. Fuss free ownership. Hyundai has come a long way and people's interest in Kia shows the same for that brand too.
I have been a Hyundai user for 20 years now - Santro and Verna - peace of mind is all I can say about Hyundai.
I would suggest a Creta anyday over the new age Honda Elevate etc. Honda quality and reputation over the years has only gone down and numbers do show that.
Hyundai cars are far from fuss free. Hyundai's reliable image is only their PR at work which ensures all the negativity is taken off. Only on this forum are threads existing which speak about the lack of quality. Unfortunately some of those threads don't see the limelight nowadays. We have seen it all right from combination switches, power steering motors & controllers, ABS modules, painting chipping, clock spring, AC evaporator coil, clutch.etc. related issues on these Koreans. And none of these issues are wear and tear parts. These are compromises done when these cars are tailored for india & obviously when unnecessary features are offered at a price.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 13:54   #9
BHPian

Huge thanks to everyone for your responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
Don't you want to try electric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I recently evaluated this car extensively, but went with Seltos GT Line DCT. Simply because I didn't need the 6 seats.

If you need only 5 seats would suggest to go for Creta/Seltos in their CVT avatar.
If the car was for me, the ZS EV and Seltos would’ve been the top contenders. Especially the Seltos GT Line which is great to drive and drop-dead gorgeous IMO.

However, parents are not keen on EVs since the car will also be used on road trips. Theirs will be a one-car garage, hence EVs are out of the picture, for now.

Seltos was rejected since my parents want a big-car feel and a sense of space. It feels about as spacious as our City, so doesn’t FEEL any bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post

We really liked the Elevate, but it doesn’t feel like an upgrade from the City at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Curious why you sold off carens early and then you have shortlisted it again?
Carens was owned by mom’s office and used by us extensively. Not bought or sold by us. Apologies for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Since your folks keep cars for a long 15-years, the price premium is totally worth it.

But really, just get the Tucson for them. Please read my article on this topic once (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)).
Totally agree with buying a more expensive car and keeping it for longer! In fact, that’s what we did in 2009 as well - bought a City (which was the most expensive C2 sedan at the time) over a Dzire or SX4 which were the two other contenders.

Beyond the initial purchase price, I am concerned about the maintenance and upkeep cost. The Tucson being a D-segment CKD car, worried about it being expensive to maintain over the long run.

Is Hyundai supporting their premium cars like the Elantra, Tucson, Santa Fe etc. well? Are spare parts reasonably priced and easily available? Are service costs reasonable?

Any insights from long term owners of these cars would be much appreciated.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 14:09   #10
BHPian

If you're okay with the price of Tucson then do consider Hycross as the price will be in the same ballpark or may be lower for VX trims. It's just a better vehicle in every possible way with the exception of may be interior plastic quality and a few gizmos here and there over Tucson which a 60y old person wouldn't mind. Waiting period can be an issue though.

Last edited by Carpainter : 21st January 2024 at 14:11.
Carpainter is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 14:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

I’m not sure anything but a Japanese vehicle would be the right decision given the long term reliability requirement. Hyundai is not all that bad but I have seen my neighbor’s Eon requiring a new power steering motor three times in the span of 3 years (she ended up selling it). Now obviously the few examples of unreliable Hyundais that I have seen (including brand new venues and sonnets broken down on the side of the road) cannot be used to create a broad stroke impression over the company’s products considering I have also witnessed a few Hyundais that lasted well like an old Sonata Embera in my locality, a friend’s old accent, another buddy’s old Tucson and a couple of Vernas. That said, a twin clutch automatic from any brand would definitely be the wrong choice if reliability is a concern. You can forget about a decade of fuss free ownership you’d be lucky to go 5 years without having to fuss over a twin clutch gearbox. Either it has got to be a Honda CVT or a torque converter unit from any brand.

Take another look at the Elevate. Tucson if I remember correctly uses a torque converter so that can be looked at as well since it is a global product that will feel like it is from a segment above everytime it is used. Parts for such cars are way more expensive than parts for locally built cars so do your homework on that. If you don’t mind the spares costs on a Tucson perhaps you can find a 2020/21 Honda CRV from a Honda autoterrace dealer and work in a warranty with the deal.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 21st January 2024 at 14:38.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 15:54   #12
BHPian

Both the petrol Alcazar and the Carens ATs come fitted with a dual clutch transmission. If your folks are going to drive the car in a big metro (B2B traffic) for a significant proportion of driving time + are keen on keeping the car for 10 + years, please steer clear of these options. Petrol +Torque converter is the way to go.

The Tucson is your best bet. Built well and to international standards. It will be a truly premium feeling retirement wagon.
ashivas89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 16:01   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
thanks to Delhi NCR’s ridiculous 15-year rule,
- Usage: 90% city, 10% highway
Sorry but an electric car is the only one that makes sense for you. Since you have the budget for a Tucson, please wipe out the Tatas and the MGs from your list and focus on luxury EVs like the one from Volvo. And you can probably keep this car until it falls apart. I think you folks will prefer the electric car comfort over ICE as well.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 16:17   #14
BHPian

If you are considering Tuscon at that budget I would suggest Hycross for sure, for city usage it is good and your parents will enjoy the comfort and spacious cabin, even the VX variant offers everything.
Truly a no-nonsense car that can be kept long-term and fulfil all your requirements.
manofinfinity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 16:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Beyond the initial purchase price, I am concerned about the maintenance and upkeep cost. The Tucson being a D-segment CKD car, worried about it being expensive to maintain over the long run.
Unless there is some other car buying factor that you have not told us, I think it is very evident that Hyundai Tuscon is the apt car for your parents. The most important thing is that they have seen it in person and loved it.

If you are seeking a second option then Toyota Innova Hycross is the car. Basically, you and your parents have to decide between these two options.

My honest opinion would be to just go for the Hyundai Tuscon. My cousin has a Hyundai dealership in Mathura. I have driven all Hyundai cars extensively. The Tuscon is premium, awesome, fantastic etc etc.. I can give all sorts of positive adjectives for this car. After-sales service will be very good in Delhi. Do not worry about those things at all. Its a Hyundai.

I own a Hyundai for 8 years now and many members of my family have kept Hyundai cars for more than 10 years without any problem. The stories of Hyundai cars giving problems are very rare and one can get similar stories across any brand of cars. Therefore, do not worry about that please.

Bottomline is that for a long time now, Hyundai cars have offered smoother driving experience than their Japanese counterparts and have always given a lot more value in terms of creature comforts. My sister owned a Hyundai Elantra in USA for 15 years and when they went to test drive it they said it was a lot smoother and value-for-money than the Corollas and Civics of America. She had the same input to give when she was upgrading and comparing the Santa Fe to Honda CRV in USA. She ended up buying the Acura MDX.

In India, I test drove all of Grand i10's competition in 2017 before I bought it. Trust me, it is such a damn smooth driving experience right from the steering, the suspension noise being a small thud only, the awesome interiors and of course that wonder 1.2 kappa engine with a smooth torque converter automatic.

Just get the Tuscon!
sjain2054 is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks