Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: 2024 Sonet Gtx+ AT Diesel for 19.5 Lakhs OR 2021 Sonet GTX+ AT Diesel for 14 Lakhs
2024 Sonet Gtx+ AT Diesel for 19.5 Lakhs 33 39.29%
2021 Sonet GTX+ AT Diesel for 14 Lakhs 51 60.71%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2024, 11:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet: New 2024 GTX+ AT D for 19.5 lakh or Used 2021 GTX+ AT D 25k km for 14 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I recently purchased a brand new Kia Seltos Facelift GT Line DCT. Before purchasing it, I had purchased a used Kia Sonet HTX iMT turbo petrol (7 month old car), and Ecosport S Tdci (23 month old car in June 2020). Since I had got excellent value on both and experience too has been stellar, therefore I was on the lookout for a used car.

I was tempted by a Carens GT DCT at 17L~ (Spinny) and a Creta SX(O) DCT (17L, cars24). Both looked great online. I did more digging by visiting the car dealerships and all looked great. However went a little further and got the complete detailed history of both cars (paid for inspection at dealerships) and they showed accidental histories (major one's). I was of the opinion that these online platforms won't sell accidental cars, but that was proven false.

I had also tried replacing my Sonet with a used GT Line Sonet DCT, which was sold by a independent dealer. Even that car turned out to be accidental! You can read more about it here (Should I replace my used Kia Sonet iMT with a used Sonet DCT?)

I shut the used car chapter and got the Seltos FL GT Line DCT.

Therefore I would suggest to check up the service history and condition of the car thoroughly.

If you finalize a new car, do checkout the Carens as well. Fits all your requirements, but you might need to stretch your budget by a couple of lakhs. You can check for any Dec 2023 stock and get healthy discount (>1 Lakh) as well. Good luck!
Great insights. Thank you. I did check the service history and plan to get it seen by kia ass to figure if any unrecorded events happened on the car.

I did checkout the carens and alcazar. Inclined to go cost effective right now
bharathreddyt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 12:07   #17
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet: New 2024 GTX+ AT D for 19.5 lakh or Used 2021 GTX+ AT D 25k km for 14 lakh

Since you've mentioned your budget is around 20 lakhs for a new vehicle, I would request you to check with the dealers if they have inventory of MY2023 Seltos in stock. This is the facelifted Seltos, not the old one. My cousin asked around a few dealers in Hyderabad about availability of the Seltos GT trims last week. Most had November manufactured vehicles in stock and were willing to give discounts of 1-1.5 lakhs without even asking. If you are serious and can negotiate, you could get some more discount out of them. For approx 2 lakhs more (with discounts), you would get a bigger car.

I've suggested this since you have mentioned that you are open to used cars. Ifbyou are interested in the Sonet, check for 2023 MY cars as well. You might find one with some discount
furyrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 13:30   #18
BHPian

Hi there.
Plonking nearly 20 lacs on a compact SUV seems too much. If you are getting a well maintained used one that seems to be the better value buy.
The Sonet diesel though is a gem one you will not regret buying.
Old 4th February 2024, 13:37   #19
BHPian

Voted used
- plonking 20 lacs on a sub 4M crossover doesn't make sense to me.
- Even when buying used, check the ex showroom of 2021 model and then apply 30-40% depreciation - it's 3 years old now. Don't compare used car price to current new car price. 1st owner absorbs the Road tax and other add ons. Depreciation is on ex showroom price.
FAIAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 17:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIAAA View Post
Voted used
- plonking 20 lacs on a sub 4M crossover doesn't make sense to me.
- Even when buying used, check the ex showroom of 2021 model and then apply 30-40% depreciation - it's 3 years old now. Don't compare used car price to current new car price. 1st owner absorbs the Road tax and other add ons. Depreciation is on ex showroom price.
Doesn't work that way, the ex showroom price is way off the actual otr, Bangalore used car prices are a function of the high road tax. This has become less relevant with BH series. 20 lakhs is reasonable for a fully loaded diesel automatic csuv, the competition doesn't exist, it's the only game in town. The used option is good in this comparison, I'll go with it.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 08:17   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

What you gain in initial cost, you lose in resale.

Suppose you sell the 2024 Sonet in 2028, you will still get a resale of 14L. If you sell the 2021 sonet, say an year early for the sake of it, it will not go for over 8/9 lakhs as a 2nd owner, 7 year old car.

Net net, you don't save anything buying the 2021 sonet. I would suggest a new car. YOLO bro

BTW, 20L is a great budget for some 4m + CSUVs too. You could get a decently specced Seltos/Creta or even a top end Honda elevate.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 19:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
What you gain in initial cost, you lose in resale.

Suppose you sell the 2024 Sonet in 2028, you will still get a resale of 14L. If you sell the 2021 sonet, say an year early for the sake of it, it will not go for over 8/9 lakhs as a 2nd owner, 7 year old car.

Net net, you don't save anything buying the 2021 sonet. I would suggest a new car. YOLO bro

BTW, 20L is a great budget for some 4m + CSUVs too. You could get a decently specced Seltos/Creta or even a top end Honda elevate.
nice logic! But I plan to keep the vehicle for long, it will be the primary city + tourer now and a few year later we plan to add a bigger tourer SUV / MPV. That said, like a wise friend suggested, I could also put the 5.6 Lakh I save with the used car in an MF @ 10 ~11% say for 5yrs. That would go far beyond the value I get for selling of new vs old 5yrs later.
Old 5th February 2024, 19:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathreddyt View Post
Hello team-BHP. After quite a bit of research and pondering I've decided to get my self a Sonet 2024 GTX+ Diesel AT -Olive green color. Booked it and waiting.

But before I did that, I test drove the new - 2023 Alcazar Signature Diesel AT, used - XUV 500, Cretas, Harrier etc.

I couldnt make up my mind confusing myself between a new or a used car. Here are my general search criteria:
1. Diesel SUV
2. 15Lakhs for used, around 20 if new
3. 6 Airbags non negotiable, ISOFIX hooks on back seat negotiable
4. AT Preferred, but dont mind a good MT
5. Not older than 5yrs
6. <= 50k Km on the ODO
7. 6 or 7 seater would be nice but can settle for a good 5 seater.
8. No Suzuki, Skoda, Renault.

Went through a lot of Spinny, FB Market place etc., and test drove a couple of used cars from individual sellers, and some on Spinny. Found none to my taste.

Finally said to my self - a Sonet Gtx+, Seltps gtx+, Creta sx(o) on the used car market would be great. Found too few, they either were priced as much as a new one or did more than 60K km.

So out out of lack of choices I went ahead and booked (25K refundable on cancellation, have it in writing on the docket) a Sonet 2024 GTX+ Diesel AT - would be about 19.6 Lakhs on road at Car Kia Gachibowli Hyderabad.

But.....this morning, I happend to browse spinny out of habit, and chanced upon a 2021 Sonet Gtx+ Diesel AT - 25K Km on the odo for 14Lakhs. Test drove it and found to be just as good as the new 2024 Sonet. Ckecked most of my boxes, So booked that too - Spinny refundable in 3 days.

https://www.spinny.com/buy-used-cars...2021/11274589/

Now I have to decide fast between

1. New Sonet 2024 Gtx+ Diesel AT - 19.6 Lakhs - Olive color, ADAS, 360 degree camera, Split folding rear seats et al
2. Used Sonet 2021 Gtx+ Diesel AT - 14 Lakhs - 25K Km on the odo - Black color - Spinny Assured.

I'm sure gurus here would know better. Pls help me make up my mind.
UPDATE 5-Feb-2024:
Purchased the Used Sonet 2021 Gtx+ Diesel AT - 14 Lakhs. Spinny delivery was pleasant and not any less than new car delivery experience.

Kia Sonet: New 2024 GTX+ AT D for 19.5 lakh or Used 2021 GTX+ AT D 25k km for 14 lakh-pxl_20240205_123254840.mp.jpg

Now I have 5day 300KM money back guarantee, 3 month 5000KM comprehensive warranty, 12 month 15000KM powertrain warranty.
6 Month comprehesive insurance from the 1st owner, 1 yrs 3rd party insurance from spinny, 5 months of kia warranty (hopefully! Kia would confirm it tomrrow, I know most car companies dont support waranty after a resale).

So now, before the 5day window expires, I want to get an inspection of the mechanics throughly. Any suggestions? Go to a kia serive? or say floks like goMehcanic? They have such a service for 899.

Kia Sonet: New 2024 GTX+ AT D for 19.5 lakh or Used 2021 GTX+ AT D 25k km for 14 lakh-gomechanic.png

Appreciate all the votes and excellent insights, obeservations, suggestions. You guys are awesome. Above and beyond!!

Last edited by bharathreddyt : 5th February 2024 at 20:01.
bharathreddyt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 20:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE 5-Feb-2024:
Purchased the Used Sonet 2021 Gtx+ Diesel AT - 14 Lakhs. Spinny delivery was pleasant and not any less than new car delivery experience.
Arrived late to this thread and I am in a similar boat. Great decision!! Congratulations and wishing you a wonderful ownership experience.

MaSh
mashmash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 21:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Purchased the Used Sonet 2021 Gtx+ Diesel AT - 14 Lakhs.
Congratulations!

Quote:
So now, before the 5day window expires, I want to get an inspection of the mechanics throughly. Any suggestions? Go to a kia serive? or say floks like goMehcanic?
I'd recommend taking the car to Kia Service and getting the inspection done as @07CR did. And now that you're the owner, they'll also share the complete service history with you.
robincsamuel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 23:16   #26

Take this on a long highway drive and observe all the things, by the way congratulations and would love to hear the ownership experience.
Vikash Kumawat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 10:50   #27
BHPian

Quote:
5 months of kia warranty (hopefully! Kia would confirm it tomrrow, I know most car companies dont support waranty after a resale).
Congratulations on your purchase.

Kia warranty is transferable. Since the vehicle is still under warranty, you will be able to purchase extended warranty for another 2 years at any Kia ASC before the original 3 year warranty expires. If you intend to keep the car, you can visit any Kia ASC and ask them to for a ownership transfer form. You have to give out your ID proof and RC copy with your name on it. The name and contact change will take around 2 working days. In case of Kia, if the previous owner took a service pack such as my convenience, even that will be transferred to the new owner.

Also, you can have the insurance transferred to your name by paying a nominal fee (Reliance for example charges 100 +GST). They will send a surveyor to your address and inspect the vehicle for pre-existing damages. Also, if the previous owner claimed NCB, you would have to pay the discount from your pocket.
furyrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 15:53   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
I'd recommend taking the car to Kia Service and getting the inspection done as @07CR did. And now that you're the owner, they'll also share the complete service history with you.
Thank you! Just came back from Kia service. The service manager let me see the car's service history on the screen (wouldnt print it despite insisting for some weired reason like a service code or something). The history is consistent with the one the Spinny salesman shared with me before the purchase.

The vehicle has been serviced on 1 feb by spinny at this very service location. So the service adv said it did not make any sense to get the inspection done in a gap of five days. I agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
Congratulations on your purchase.

Kia warranty is transferable. Since the vehicle is still under warranty, you will be able to purchase extended warranty for another 2 years at any Kia ASC before the original 3 year warranty expires. If you intend to keep the car, you can visit any Kia ASC and ask them to for a ownership transfer form. You have to give out your ID proof and RC copy with your name on it. The name and contact change will take around 2 working days. In case of Kia, if the previous owner took a service pack such as my convenience, even that will be transferred to the new owner.

Also, you can have the insurance transferred to your name by paying a nominal fee (Reliance for example charges 100 +GST). They will send a surveyor to your address and inspect the vehicle for pre-existing damages. Also, if the previous owner claimed NCB, you would have to pay the discount from your pocket.
That is great to know. The Kia service manager said I'd have to wait for the RC to be on my name before warranty transfer or extension. RC Should arrive in a few days and I'll call them back.

The comprehensive insurance is valid for a few more months but transfer is being done by Spinny. I'll wait for them to figure it out and call me. They also gave a new 3rd party coverage for an year.
Old 6th February 2024, 18:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! Just came back from Kia service. The service manager let me see the car's service history on the screen (wouldnt print it despite insisting for some weired reason like a service code or something). The history is consistent with the one the Spinny salesman shared with me before the purchase.

The vehicle has been serviced on 1 feb by spinny at this very service location. So the service adv said it did not make any sense to get the inspection done in a gap of five days. I agreed.

That is great to know. The Kia service manager said I'd have to wait for the RC to be on my name before warranty transfer or extension. RC Should arrive in a few days and I'll call them back.

The comprehensive insurance is valid for a few more months but transfer is being done by Spinny. I'll wait for them to figure it out and call me. They also gave a new 3rd party coverage for an year.
Update 6-Feb-2024:
KIA Confirmed that the vehicle has extended warranty till 6/2026, which is an unexpeced bonus for me. They can transfer it to me once I have the RC.
bharathreddyt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks