Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: 2024 Sonet Gtx+ AT Diesel for 19.5 Lakhs OR 2021 Sonet GTX+ AT Diesel for 14 Lakhs
2024 Sonet Gtx+ AT Diesel for 19.5 Lakhs 33 39.29%
2021 Sonet GTX+ AT Diesel for 14 Lakhs 51 60.71%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2024, 23:23   #1
BHPian

Kia Sonet: New 2024 GTX+ AT D for 19.5 lakh or Used 2021 GTX+ AT D 25k km for 14 lakh

Hello team-BHP. After quite a bit of research and pondering I've decided to get my self a Sonet 2024 GTX+ Diesel AT -Olive green color. Booked it and waiting.

But before I did that, I test drove the new - 2023 Alcazar Signature Diesel AT, used - XUV 500, Cretas, Harrier etc.

I couldnt make up my mind confusing myself between a new or a used car. Here are my general search criteria:
1. Diesel SUV
2. 15Lakhs for used, around 20 if new
3. 6 Airbags non negotiable, ISOFIX hooks on back seat negotiable
4. AT Preferred, but dont mind a good MT
5. Not older than 5yrs
6. <= 50k Km on the ODO
7. 6 or 7 seater would be nice but can settle for a good 5 seater.
8. No Suzuki, Skoda, Renault.

Went through a lot of Spinny, FB Market place etc., and test drove a couple of used cars from individual sellers, and some on Spinny. Found none to my taste.

Finally said to my self - a Sonet Gtx+, Seltps gtx+, Creta sx(o) on the used car market would be great. Found too few, they either were priced as much as a new one or did more than 60K km.

So out out of lack of choices I went ahead and booked (25K refundable on cancellation, have it in writing on the docket) a Sonet 2024 GTX+ Diesel AT - would be about 19.6 Lakhs on road at Car Kia Gachibowli Hyderabad.

But.....this morning, I happend to browse spinny out of habit, and chanced upon a 2021 Sonet Gtx+ Diesel AT - 25K Km on the odo for 14Lakhs. Test drove it and found to be just as good as the new 2024 Sonet. Ckecked most of my boxes, So booked that too - Spinny refundable in 3 days.

https://www.spinny.com/buy-used-cars...2021/11274589/

Now I have to decide fast between

1. New Sonet 2024 Gtx+ Diesel AT - 19.6 Lakhs - Olive color, ADAS, 360 degree camera, Split folding rear seats et al
2. Used Sonet 2021 Gtx+ Diesel AT - 14 Lakhs - 25K Km on the odo - Black color - Spinny Assured.

I'm sure gurus here would know better. Pls help me make up my mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet: New 2024 GTX+ AT D for 19.5 lakh or Used 2021 GTX+ AT D 25k km for 14 lakh-pxl_20240202_075032315.jpg  

Kia Sonet: New 2024 GTX+ AT D for 19.5 lakh or Used 2021 GTX+ AT D 25k km for 14 lakh-screenshot-20240202-231904.png  

Last edited by bharathreddyt : 2nd February 2024 at 23:33.
bharathreddyt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 01:34   #2
BHPian

re: Kia Sonet: New 2024 GTX+ AT D for 19.5 lakh or Used 2021 GTX+ AT D 25k km for 14 lakh

It ticks most boxes, means it scores well on your non-negotiable list of features maybe one or two negotiable items missing.

It seems reasonably well kitted, possibly with Sunroof missing. If the few dings aren’t too much of a deal breaker, this still looks a value pre-used buy.

The Bummer:
It still seems slightly overpriced to me, though. Pretty sure it was a max of 16-17L when new. So the depreciation on it is slightly on the lower side considering its already 25k kms on the ODO.

Finally:
I am not a big fan of the new Sonet’s styling from the previous one as much and it is not much of an upgrade from the previous model so if it were me, I would be very inclined to go for the used one.

Last edited by SixPistons : 3rd February 2024 at 01:42.
SixPistons is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 05:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Kia Sonet: New 2024 GTX+ AT D for 19.5 lakh or Used 2021 GTX+ AT D 25k km for 14 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathreddyt View Post
Hello team-BHP. After quite a bit of research and pondering I've decided to get my self a Sonet 2024 GTX+ Diesel AT -Olive green color. Booked it and waiting.

But before I did that, I test drove the new - 2023 Alcazar Signature Diesel AT, used - XUV 500, Cretas, Harrier etc.

I couldnt make up my mind confusing myself between a new or a used car. Here are my general search criteria:
1. Diesel SUV
3. 6 Airbags non negotiable, ISOFIX hooks on back seat negotiable
4. AT Preferred, but dont mind a good MT
5. Not older than 5yrs
6. <= 50k Km on the ODO
8. No Suzuki, Skoda, Renault.

1. New Sonet 2024 Gtx+ Diesel AT - 19.6 Lakhs - Olive color, ADAS, 360 degree camera, Split folding rear seats et al
2. Used Sonet 2021 Gtx+ Diesel AT - 14 Lakhs - 25K Km on the odo - Black color - Spinny Assured.

In my view, spending anything more than 14-15 lacs on a new Kia Sonet or equivalent is an absolute waste of money . It is a sub 4m compact crossover (not a true SUV) and hence everything is a bit of a compromise. If you are willing to spend 19-20 lac, there are better options like the VAG sedans or the Hyundai Verna who offer much more space, practicality, comfort and performance. That ground clearance is not always needed in urban conditions (been there, done that). I would suggest to think hard before putting money on the table in terms of what you are getting for it. Everything from choice of fuel to size, space, safety and comfort. Essential features are common in most cars in that price bracket.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 3rd February 2024 at 05:42.
fhdowntheline is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 07:45   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kia Sonet: New 2024 GTX+ AT D for 19.5 lakh or Used 2021 GTX+ AT D 25k km for 14 lakh

As a fan of pre-owned cars, I'd go for the used one. The difference is 5.5 lakhs & 25000 km is nothing for modern cars. Think of it this way = would you rather own a "like new" Sonet with free fuel, maintenance & some modifications for the next few years? Or pay 20-lakhs for a new car + fuel + maintenance etc.

Perhaps, you could also get extended warranty on the used car if it still has some kind of coverage.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 07:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet: New 2024 GTX+ AT D for 19.5 lakh or Used 2021 GTX+ AT D 25k km for 14 lakh

The used car is a good option of you're paying cash, a new one is even better given the features. The car isn't overpriced for the diesel automatic, it simply is the only one of its kind in the segment. My 2021 car has done 40k without any issues.

The real question is why is the car being sold with such low milage.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 20:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The real question is why is the car being sold with such low milage.
I had that question, so I asked for the service history.
Name:  Kia Sonet 2021 service history.png
Views: 260
Size:  15.2 KB

What that revealed is that the car is just over 2.5 years old and did <= 1000 KM a month till Apr 2023. < 7000 KM in the last 10 months.

Reasonably serviced on time.

I Dont see any red flags. do you?

Last edited by bharathreddyt : 3rd February 2024 at 21:01.
bharathreddyt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 21:20   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPistons View Post
It ticks most boxes, means it scores well on your non-negotiable list of features maybe one or two negotiable items missing.

It seems reasonably well kitted, possibly with Sunroof missing. If the few dings aren’t too much of a deal breaker, this still looks a value pre-used buy.

The Bummer:
It still seems slightly overpriced to me, though. Pretty sure it was a max of 16-17L when new. So the depreciation on it is slightly on the lower side considering its already 25k kms on the ODO.

Finally:
I am not a big fan of the new Sonet’s styling from the previous one as much and it is not much of an upgrade from the previous model so if it were me, I would be very inclined to go for the used one.
The 2021 model has the sunroof, and almost everything that the 2024 has except:
1. ADAS
2. 360 deg camera
3. Split rear seats

Has a few minor scratches and a 3mm dent on a door. Nothing a little bit of detailing would not resolve.

yes its overpriced, but from my little experience of having been on the look for a used diesel automatic SUV, these are hard to find in the market, especially the top of the line models. Diesel Creta SX(o)s, Seltos GTs, Sonet GTs usuually have about 50~60K KM for 3~4 yr old cars.

I've seen a seller asking 14.5 Lakhs for a 2018 Creta SX(o) automatic with 65K KM. Though it was in prestine condition given its age, drove well, it is still too much to ask. I would have paid say 12.5Lakhs if they were willing to get down to it, but they wouldnt do less than 13.5.
Old 3rd February 2024, 21:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As a fan of pre-owned cars, I'd go for the used one. The difference is 5.5 lakhs & 25000 km is nothing for modern cars. Think of it this way = would you rather own a "like new" Sonet with free fuel, maintenance & some modifications for the next few years? Or pay 20-lakhs for a new car + fuel + maintenance etc.

Perhaps, you could also get extended warranty on the used car if it still has some kind of coverage.
I've asked spinny to find out if the 36month 1Lk km warrenty was still valid, given its only 31 month old and did 25K km. If it were, I'd try and figure what it would cost to extend it by say 2 more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
In my view, spending anything more than 14-15 lacs on a new Kia Sonet or equivalent is an absolute waste of money . It is a sub 4m compact crossover (not a true SUV) and hence everything is a bit of a compromise. If you are willing to spend 19-20 lac, there are better options like the VAG sedans or the Hyundai Verna who offer much more space, practicality, comfort and performance. That ground clearance is not always needed in urban conditions (been there, done that). I would suggest to think hard before putting money on the table in terms of what you are getting for it. Everything from choice of fuel to size, space, safety and comfort. Essential features are common in most cars in that price bracket.
I've driven Sedans and hatches all my life. But I like the driving and seating position of SUVs, The ingress and egress from the sonet is just awesome, best I've seen in the cSUVs. My knee hit the steering column on the creta, seltos, XUV 700, harrier etc. no matter what seat and steering position I settle for. Harrier was the worst. Makes me wonder how 6 footers might feel about these cars.

Last edited by Axe77 : 4th February 2024 at 12:08. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use Quote+ feature where needed. Thank you.
Old 3rd February 2024, 21:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2568599

What that revealed is that the car is just over 2.5 years old and did <= 1000 KM a month till Apr 2023. < 7000 KM in the last 10 months.

Reasonably serviced on time.

Looks good to me, no red flags. You didn't mention your usage in the post, city or highway running? If you do a lot of highway runs, test drive at speed before you commit.

If you're big built, the gtx seats look better than they fit.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 21:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:

May I know who shared this service history? I believe the Kia service record would be very detailed, and I'd recommend checking it.

One thing I noticed is that, as per Spinny, the car was manufactured in April 2021 (btw, I own a Sonet made the same month), but it was registered in July 2021. I'm not sure why there's such a gap, especially considering the high demand for the car. Maybe you can check into that as well.

Quote:
I've asked spinny to find out if the 36month 1Lk km warrenty was still valid, given its only 31 month old and did 25K km. If it were, I'd try and figure what it would cost to extend it by say 2 more years.
You may not be able to extend the warranty if it's not already there. Quoting Kia website,

Quote:
You can extend the warranty by one year or two years for a nominal amount, any time before 24 months from the date of new vehicle delivery.
Also, please don't trust these aggregators blindly. Quoting my own post,

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
This is absolutely true. My friend purchased a car from Cars24 and later figured the car had a major accident. The repairs were done at Hyundai ASS and is there in the service history.

However, after sharing relevant proof, they took the car back and issued a full refund.

Last edited by robincsamuel : 3rd February 2024 at 21:52. Reason: Quoting another post
robincsamuel is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 21:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

The new manual diesel with the higher powered engine (115 ps) which was available only in AT costs 11.** to 14.** onroad. You get a better engine and gearbox combination that didn't exist earlier.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 22:21   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Looks good to me, no red flags. You didn't mention your usage in the post, city or highway running? If you do a lot of highway runs, test drive at speed before you commit.

If you're big built, the gtx seats look better than they fit.
I've asked for a highway test drive, but there isnt any near where Spinny is located. They give a 5day 200KM no questions asked return for a full refund. I'll go for a highway spin soon after I get it.

My usage would be about 200 to 300 KM out of town (highways, rural roads etc). And about 700 KM in city + toll highways around the city.

I find the GTX seats are plenty, not as plush as the bigger SUVs, but I'm expecting the ventilated seats would work great in summers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
May I know who shared this service history? I believe the Kia service record would be very detailed, and I'd recommend checking it.

One thing I noticed is that, as per Spinny, the car was manufactured in April 2021 (btw, I own a Sonet made the same month), but it was registered in July 2021. I'm not sure why there's such a gap, especially considering the high demand for the car. Maybe you can check into that as well.

You may not be able to extend the warranty if it's not already there. Quoting Kia website,

Also, please don't trust these aggregators blindly. Quoting my own post,
Spinny shared the service history. It is pretty detailed for those few services so far. I created that excel view to understand better how the car was used.

Interesting find about the Manufacture month to registered month. I'll try to find out from the dealer. But given the first service record note odo reading as 10KM, I ruled out it being a test drive car or some weird reason like that.

I'll wait for them to comeback on the warranty and then call Kia about extending it. I'm not particular about it.

Spinny gives some coverage (I did not read the fine print though. )
1. Comprehensive Coverage: Applicable for 90 days or up to 5,000 kms (whichever occurs first) from the date of purchase.
2. Powertrain Coverage: Applicable for 365 days or up to 15,000 kms (whichever occurs first) from the date of purchase.

Planning to get the car inspected at a kia service in the first couple of days to make sure all is well w.r.t the history and the future. Any ideas what I would ask for? Will ASS have an 'inspection' service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
The new manual diesel with the higher powered engine (115 ps) which was available only in AT costs 11.** to 14.** onroad. You get a better engine and gearbox combination that didn't exist earlier.
Yes the MT Diesels cost about 12Lk at the entry level, but dont have either all disc brakes or something else. The HTX Diesel imt is about 15.6 Lk but lacks things like cruise control.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th February 2024 at 22:36. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 4th February 2024, 10:24   #13
BHPian

Hi Bharath,

It makes more sense to go for the used one than the brand new Sonet, as it ticks all the right boxes for 5L less with very few misses as long as the service history is intact and you are satisfied with the car's behavior. Going above 15L+ for a new Sonet doesn't make much sense as you are now crossing over into the sedan territory which is bigger, comfier and classier IMHO. Hope my humble opinion helps, cheers!

Regards,
SS
ss11011988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 10:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
New Carens Diesel can be a good choice for you as per budget and preference for 6 or 7 seater, I understand that you can settle for 5 seater but Carens is loaded with all bells & whistles as well plus those extra seats will be always helpful.
SaiChaithanya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 10:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I recently purchased a brand new Kia Seltos Facelift GT Line DCT. Before purchasing it, I had purchased a used Kia Sonet HTX iMT turbo petrol (7 month old car), and Ecosport S Tdci (23 month old car in June 2020). Since I had got excellent value on both and experience too has been stellar, therefore I was on the lookout for a used car.

I was tempted by a Carens GT DCT at 17L~ (Spinny) and a Creta SX(O) DCT (17L, cars24). Both looked great online. I did more digging by visiting the car dealerships and all looked great. However went a little further and got the complete detailed history of both cars (paid for inspection at dealerships) and they showed accidental histories (major one's). I was of the opinion that these online platforms won't sell accidental cars, but that was proven false.

I had also tried replacing my Sonet with a used GT Line Sonet DCT, which was sold by a independent dealer. Even that car turned out to be accidental! You can read more about it here (Should I replace my used Kia Sonet iMT with a used Sonet DCT?)

I shut the used car chapter and got the Seltos FL GT Line DCT.

Therefore I would suggest to check up the service history and condition of the car thoroughly.

If you finalize a new car, do checkout the Carens as well. Fits all your requirements, but you might need to stretch your budget by a couple of lakhs. You can check for any Dec 2023 stock and get healthy discount (>1 Lakh) as well. Good luck!
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks