Mahindra Thar 139 50.73%
Maruti Jimny 76 27.74%
Others (Please specify in your post) 12 4.38%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2024, 11:39   #1
Team-BHP Support

Force Gurkha vs Mahindra Thar vs Maruti Suzuki Jimny

Force Gurkha vs Mahindra Thar vs Maruti Suzuki Jimny-force-gurkha-dimensions.jpg

Force Gurkha vs Mahindra Thar vs Maruti Suzuki Jimny-gurkha-diesel-competition-1.jpg

Force Gurkha vs Mahindra Thar vs Maruti Suzuki Jimny-gurkha-petrol-competition.jpg

Force Gurkha

Force Gurkha vs Mahindra Thar vs Maruti Suzuki Jimny-2024_force_gurkha_exterior_01.jpg

What you'll like:

• Macho styling & incredible street presence. Robust build too
• Far more user-friendly than the old Gurkha due to superior interiors & better amenities
• Shift-on-the-fly 4x4 with low range, diff locks, satisfactory all-round visibility & 233 mm GC. Excellent gradability, approach, departure & break-over angles make it a potent off-roader
• Choice of 3-door and 5-door (7-seater) versions gives it an edge over competing off-roaders
• Rides noticeably better than other purpose-built offroaders in the market (especially the Thar)
• 5.5 m turning radius (3-door) is not as wide as its competitors
• Homologated accessories mean no cop trouble for owners (windscreen protection bar, roof carrier, ladder, headlamp & fender lamp grilles etc.). Snorkel is factory-fitted!
• 500L boot space (3-door) is enough for a family's vacation luggage
• Features such as the hard top, LED headlamps with DRLs, rear wash & wipe, 9-inch touchscreen HU, power & eco drive modes, TPMS, dead pedal, rear A/C vents...

What you won't:

• High floor makes ingress & egress very difficult for the elderly in particular
• Braking capability is below average. Pedal travel is long too
• No soft-top or convertible options like the Thar. No Petrol engine or Automatic transmission either
• Tall stature equates to lots of body roll and poor handling
• Despite the increased power & torque, the Gurkha's outright performance is mediocre
• Overall fit & finish, quality of interior plastics, ICE audio, camera display…
• Notchy 5-speed MT has long throws and is cumbersome to use
• Missing features such as 6 airbags, ESP, hill-hold / descent control, sunroof, auto headlamps, auto wipers, driver's seat height & lumbar adjustment, auto-dimming IRVM, electrically folding ORVMs etc.
• 5-door variant's 3rd-row captain seats cannot be folded or flipped. You'll need to place your luggage on & around them (or get a carrier)

Review Link

3-door Gurkha Drive Report

Mahindra Thar

Force Gurkha vs Mahindra Thar vs Maruti Suzuki Jimny-2020mahindrathar01.jpg

What you'll like:

• Fun, fun, fun! A loveable car that will bring you loads of laughs & smiles
• Handsome Jeep styling & brute character. Tough build too
• Far more user-friendly than the ol’ Thar due to superior interiors & the amenities
• Very competent, refined turbo-petrol & diesel engine range
• Butter-smooth 6-speed Automatics available with both engines
• 4x4 hardware, offroad capability & 226 mm GC. Get ready for slush, muck, deserts, jungles & the mountains!
• Practical hard-top or fun convertible available in the Thar – take your pick
• Features such as removable doors, ESP, cruise control, hill hold / descent, TPMS…
• 4-star rating in the GNCAP crash test (more information)

What you won't:

• Very bumpy ride quality. The Thar is never settled, no matter what the road or speed
• Poor road manners at high speed. Best to cruise at 100 - 110 km/h only
• Impractical due to the 2-doors, 4 seats (not 5) & difficult access to the back seat
• Laughably small boot simply isn’t enough for holiday luggage
• Petrol AT is thirsty due to its hefty weight, 150 BHP & torque-converter AT
• Premium pricing for the higher variants. Lot of money for the Thar's limited usability
• Sad feature list for a 17-lakh car. No reversing cam, auto-dimming IRVM, auto headlamps & wipers, electrically-folding ORVMs, rear wash & wipe…
• Apprehensions of niggles & Mahindra's hit-or-miss after-sales service quality

Review Link

Maruti Suzuki Jimny

Force Gurkha vs Mahindra Thar vs Maruti Suzuki Jimny-2023marutijimny01.jpg

What you'll like:

• Extremely stylish retro-modern SUV with loads of character. A total head-turner that’s available in very interesting colours
• Build quality is more solid than you’d expect of a Maruti. Even the interiors feel hard-wearing (note: plastic quality is nothing to write home about)
• An agile mountain goat! 4x4 with low range, satisfactory all-round visibility, 210 mm GC, good wheel articulation and excellent approach, departure & break-over angles make it a potent offroader
• Compact size & lighter kerb weight (than the Thar & Gurkha) bring advantages off-the-road and on it (in urban confines)
• Stylish interiors with good space utilization for 4 adults
• 4 doors make it more practical & family-friendly than the competing 2-door offroaders
• Smooth torque-converter automatic transmission available
• You can expect lots of modification & customization options, as is the case internationally. Go out & personalize your Jimny!
• Features such as the hard top, tinted green glasses, near-flat reclining front seats, LED auto headlamps with washers, rear wash & wipe, cruise control, 9-inch touchscreen HU...
• Safety kit includes 6 airbags, 3-point seatbelts for all, ESP, brake-based limited-slip differential, traction control, hill hold / descent control and ISOFIX mounts
• Maruti’s excellent after-sales service, wide dealer network & fuss-free ownership experiences

What you won't:

• Small size doesn’t give it the presence of a Thar or Gurkha
• Unexciting 1.5L petrol engine with merely 103 BHP and 134 Nm. Don’t expect Maruti-esque fuel economy either (we saw high single-digit FE in our test-drive of the MT variant)
• Notchy 5-speed MT with a heavy clutch pedal. MT owners will find the footwell to be cramped
• Firm steering requires effort to operate. Vague on-road behaviour, weak return-to-centre action and wide 5.7 m turning radius
• Just a 4-seater (even legally). Not being able to carry 5 limits family-wise practicality
• Imperfect ride quality. Don’t expect road manners like a monocoque crossover, yet it is superior to the Thar’s bumpy ride
• 4-speed AT feels very old and outdated (has an “OD” button like in the ‘90s!). That being said, the gearbox has smooth shifts & proven reliability
• Missing features such as a sunroof, DRLs, rear A/C vents, auto wipers, TPMS, driver's seat height & lumbar adjustment, steering reach adjustment, auto-dimming IRVM, dead pedal…
• Boot space is just 208 litres; however, it is useable and more accommodating than the Thar’s. Disappointingly, the Jimny’s cabin has very few storage options & cubicles
• No soft-top convertible or 2-door options available. Forget about the joy of open-top cruising
• No diesel engine for those with high running. The market still loves diesels in body-on-frame SUVs

Review Link

Last edited by Omkar : 25th May 2024 at 11:45.
Omkar is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 11:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.

Last edited by Omkar : 25th May 2024 at 11:42.
Omkar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 11:40   #3
BHPian

I drive a 10-year-old Force Gurkha. The vehicle has clocked> 1L KMs.

The good thing about the Gurkha is that it gets plenty of attention. Many strangers walk up to me to talk about it. The three-door version, with its compact size, is city-friendly. You get great views all around. The vehicle feels like a tank to drive.

This is where the good things end. The actual driving experience is pretty average with a decidedly non-tractable engine, and non-existent NVH and dynamics. Plus, you get a fair share of niggles.

Overall, the Gurkha is not for the common person. So voted for the Scorpio N.

Last edited by Omkar : 25th May 2024 at 11:42.
buzzy_boy is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 11:41   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

1st choice for me is the Mahindra Thar & I put my money where my mouth is. Love the 2-door Thar and the pleasure it brings.

Second choice from the current list would be the Scorpio-N 4x4. It's quite good off the road, while the SUV itself is very useable & family-friendly on-road.

Wouldn't buy the Gurkha as it doesn't have an AT. Wouldn't buy the Jimny as it's just not my kind of car. Too small, too slow.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 10:06   #5
BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha vs Mahindra Thar vs Maruti Suzuki Jimny

Voted Jimny till a 5 door Thar is launched. Out of the current 3 cars, only Jimny offers 5 doors practicality + Petrol AT (NCR).
Bought one in Dec 23 for my Dad (), very happy with the purchase. It is our go to car for crowded city places. The compact size is a blessing and it can be parked in tighter spaces.
Yet to take this mountain goat in its true zone.
Love4Cars is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 10:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Currently drive a 2022 Gurkha. As someone mentioned, its an attention magnet, you feel like a VIP where it attracts attention from all, male, female, children or the senior citizens. The Gurkha is something which is best to be kept as a secondary vehicle, although i know quite a few in my circle who use their Gurkha as their primary vehicle. Owing to its height, its a difficult task to park it in underground parking, its no mall crawler for sure. Most of the times I have to do some "Foot Work" to check if my Gurkha would fit. Service centres are wafer thin. Not all FM service centres cater to the Gurkha. Despite of all the shortcomings, I still like my car, the commanding road presence gives me a good view of the road ahead. Call me ol skool, but I appreciate the fact that it doesn't have any complex gizmos, although i would have appreciated 6 airbags as standard. Mine despite being a BS6, doesn't require ADblu, which is the biggest advantage. In two years didnt face any DPF clogging issue (Touchwood) as the truck does a mini regen on its own.I did face an issue with the NoX sensor, it was promptly taken care of by FM SVC though.
I did TD the Thar, although I like the powertrain options, I felt the Interiors to be a bit claustrophobic to my taste. Not speaking about the ride comfort as the same has been discussed in detail. Found the Scorpio N 4x4 to be apt for the purpose, so my vote goes for it.
At the same time, I Tded the new 5Door Gurkha and would like to appreciate FM for updating the lineup. Although didnt like the Instrument cluster (the previous gen had a nice analog one), some of the updates like inclusion of arm rests, internally adjustable ORVMs, better cabin insulation etc have indeed made the Gurkha a bit more upmarket. The under carriage looks clean. The control arms have been nicely tucked in. The older ones used to protrude, but at the same time were very abuse friendly. Only time would say how the new ones would fare. Although the power has been bumped up, I wouldn't say it is medicore, but the powerband is way too narrow, something similar to the Traveller. The steering definitely feels way better. The pedal travel is way lesser than its previous Iteration.
For peeps missing out on AT, FM is working an bringing out a Gurkha with an AT GB, probably by 2026.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 26th May 2024 at 10:50.
rakesh_r is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 13:02   #7
BHPian

None of these. For city dwellers, first of all the car must make sense in the city where it is going to spend 95% of its days which none of these cars do IMO. I would rather go for a Duster or Grand Vitara AWD.
pkk077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 13:29   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The absurd idea that one can make a Jeep go fast , Who would have thought it would work, I don't know. Of course we know it's our BHPian BD Sir's concept.

It is made for a lot of fun and then if you get bored, remove the top for even more fun , for that reason I vote for Thar.

I do not own the new one but have spent plenty of time in it, I envy everyone who owns one.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 13:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

From the 4WD's listed as options above I would choose Jimny. In future if Force give AT Gurkha would be an option consider as it would keep the owner busy. They fixed a major drawback i.e., the front lower arms.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 14:30   #10
BHPian

Having owned 2 of the 3 cars above (21 Thar and 23 Jimny), I find it hard to cross shop between the 3 of them, each one has their unique strengths and represent quite different use cases.

That being said, the Thar is the closest to an all rounder of the 3.

My personal preference would be the Jimny though, mostly because I bought it after selling my Thar and absolutely love it. I got a very city friendly size and comfortable ride alongwith an AT box. Fit the bill perfectly for me.
Turbolove is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 14:39   #11
BHPian

Don't off road very often but have driven the Gurkha off road on a trip with off-roaders. It is a no frill get anywhere vehicle. It is a perfect buy it-no mods use as it is off-roader even for quite challenging terrains for your average motorist.

regards kaps
kaps454 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 17:43   #12
BHPian

Voted for the Jimny, as the Thar Armada is yet to be launched! I have heard the Gurkha horror stories from BHPians, and have rented a Thar during my decently-long trip to Goa. It was fun to drive, but not suited for a family. No 4x4 for the petrol Scorp and I am done with my share of diesels, especially with BS6. So yes, Jimny it is - above all, it has its own identity and character. Slow, yes, but I would pick a Jimny any day for an offroading event or a trip to Spiti during winters. Until 15th Aug 2024..
GhostRider28 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 17:57   #13
BHPian

1st choice is THAR followed by SCORPIO.
Old 26th May 2024, 18:38   #14
BHPian

MS Jimny for it's abilities off the road, comfortable ride quality (both on and off road), diminutive dimensions may not score on presence but is certainly a blessing in our chaotic traffic scenarios, a simple and reliable naturally aspirated petrol engine that scores on tractability and no fear of running into dpf issues or cold start issues even in the very cold conditions.
Phantom 510 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 18:42   #15
BHPian

Reliable, compact- in the city, or your office parking or in choc-a-bloc Manali, stress free cruising speed with that raspy exhaust note when you give it the beans, has all the creature comforts that i need, stellar ride quality, infinite service centres, low cost of spares, infinite mod possibilities, a conversation starter wherever you park unlike any Maruti Suzuki, and original to the core, of course I vote for the iconic Jimny.

Last edited by jackofsome : 26th May 2024 at 18:45.
jackofsome is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks