Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2008, 20:57   #1
BHPian

Jeep/Gypsy/Safari?? Totally confused what to buy.Please help me..

Hi Guys.I know I have joined long back.Iam more of a silent reader than an avid poster simply because of my lack of knowledge in terms of cars.Trying to learn a bit though. As of now i need help from all the tbhp guru's.

I need to buy a second hand vehicle which will be primarily used in the hills of coorg.The vehicle would be in bangalore during the rainy season where i would use it here for daily use and back to coorg during summers/winters.A few people suggested i go in for a Jeep/Classic/Gypsy.Some suggested taking a used bolero or safari.I really am confused as i dont know much about any of these vehicles.

I need a car/SUV which is not difficult to drive and something that can travel on the roads of bangalore as well as the terrains in coorg with relative ease and somethign thats not hard on the pocket to maintain in terms of servicing,fuel costs etc.Also any help on the kind of mileage I can expect from the above mentioned vehicles would be great since I do not know much on that front too.

I know these are a lot of questions posed but I know that i will get some help here.Please help me out.Only after getting advice from the guru's here would I start a search for a vehicle.Also please throw some light on the 2wd and 4x4 issue since some of them suggest i go in for a 4x4.

My budget would be upto 2lakhs,can stretch it a bit if need be.Thanks in advance guys

Regards,
Zahed
Old 8th April 2008, 21:11   #2
BHPian

Even I am not having much of knowledge in this topic.. but if i were you, i would have gone for a Gypsy..Oh man.. that vehicle is always on a full load of charecter as well. and safari be my last option because a safari coming at that price list must have crossed 1-1.5L kms..and buying a TATA vehicle with such a mileage,its a big no-no.!!
Old 8th April 2008, 22:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Since you will be traveling to goorg, a 4x4 is must. Also if fuel bills is a concern than I would suggest a Jeep , you may not get a bolero with 4x4 as very few are sold but a 540/550 or any of the other models from M&M will be easy to find comparatively. If a petrol vehicle will do than go in for the gyspe [ but expansive parts as well as fuel bills are high] . I would suggest stay away from safari [at you price range] is you are willing to put in more than you can look at safaris.
M&M [jeeps] are quit easy to maintain and run on diesel...
Old 8th April 2008, 22:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Jeep 4x4 one.

end of story
Old 9th April 2008, 12:35   #5
BHPian

thanks for the replies guys.my concern also is that can i drive around in bangalore in a jeep without problems??wat about the handling and stuff like that.i dont mind spending a bit more if safari is a worthwhile choice.Also which of these vehicles can travel at speeds of atleast 100kms/hr without giving much trouble.i dont want to be stuck with something that wont move past 60-70kms on the highway.would take me ages to travel back and forth
Old 9th April 2008, 13:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
...i dont mind spending a bit more if safari is a worthwhile choice...
If you want to get a Safari 4x4 in good condition, you will need to spend at least Rs. 3.5L (post 2002 model).

Within 2-2.5 lakhs, the better buy (as others have already suggested) are the Gypsy King (5th gear for comfortable highway cruising in addition to off-road capabilities.) or any of the Mahindra Jeep variants.

If you are going to drive only along pucca roads in Coorg (and not going for any off-roading), then just a 2WD vehicle like Mahindra Invader or Bolero should do fine. Go in for the 4WD only if you really need to drive in difficult terrain (slushy roads/no roads/mud-tracks in hill estates etc.).
Old 9th April 2008, 13:43   #7
BHPian

thanks for the reply BT. the terrain is not all that bad but its not pucca roads either.there is a bit of mud road which i only expect will get worse after the rains.How good is a gypsy for driving in the highway?and wat about the jeep in terms of highway driving?
Old 9th April 2008, 14:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
thanks for the reply BT. the terrain is not all that bad but its not pucca roads either.there is a bit of mud road which i only expect will get worse after the rains.How good is a gypsy for driving in the highway?and wat about the jeep in terms of highway driving?
Highway driving :

1. Speed --> Gypsy will be able to go faster, quicker than the Mahindras. The Mahindras will be noisy.
2. Ride comfort --> Both Mahindra Jeeps and Gypsy are not well-known for their ride comfort. In the Gypsy, the ride comfort is Ok for the driver/passenger, but very bad for people in the back seats. I think the Mahindras have marginally better rear seat comfort than Gypsy.
Old 9th April 2008, 14:21   #9
Team-BHP Support

My friend who used be the manager of a 1000 acres coffee estate in Coorg managed with Indica. Coorg estates are not as hilly as say Chikmaglur estates. Any decent 2WD with good GC would suffice in my opinion.

The question of 4x4 would come if he wants to get off the road. With his limited budget he has to think hard what all kinds of terrain he wants to cover.
Old 9th April 2008, 17:17   #10
BHPian

Like samurai put it, just a little muddy road doesnt require an 4x4 unless it gets really slushy during rainy seasons and u need all the 4 wheels to pull you out of slush and potholes or if you have some serious dirt track to tread. A good 2WD should be sufficient. But if u really want to go for a 4x4 then suggest go for the jeep 4x4, but its not really a performer on highways compared to the safari or gypsy. If it is just mostly country roads then the jeep or a gypsy will do u good. But if you are not going to go much offroading and also want luxury and highway drive comfort then go for safari , but this will be expensive compared to the others. Probably u can post a sample photo of the kind of terrain that you will encounter in coorg on a regular basis and also your budget and comfort requirements and then probably the guys will be able to help you out better.
Old 9th April 2008, 17:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

get a used bolero or a jeep they are your best options imo! and being diesels they are robust engines, very less on the maintainance part, and decent FE too.

i dont find a point in going for a gypsy now as they are too old and finding the parts even for the regular service might be a bit difficult in places like coorg you might need to get all the services done in bangalore if its gypsy.

safari the older vehicles might not be that feasible for your kind of requirements.

the best fit are the rugged old work horses from M&M they will just do fine.
Old 9th April 2008, 17:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Dude i have replied to you before and trust me Major suits your requirement for coorg. Well It all depends on how much you go into places without good roads. The major is pretty good on highways also and is low on maintenance compared to the rest.
Where in coorg you going to be visiting. It will give a better idea
Old 9th April 2008, 17:45   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Though I have a Gypsy, I would suggest that you go for a 4x4 MM 540 or some other Jeep for Coorg. The simple reason is that Coorg has tons & tons of jeeps and maintaining it would be very very easy.

I was once in Coorg for an OTR with a group of friends and the clutch of my Gypsy blew and I had a hard time -- no mechanics/spare parts available. One of my friends in Jeep had a radiator + brake issue and we were able to get mechanics & spares very easily.
Old 9th April 2008, 21:54   #14
BHPian

@All : thanks for the replies.

The terrain is not so bad.i have managed it in my alto itself but that was last month without rains.I dont think i would encounter steep hills or slush to drive my tires deep in them.I guess as mentioned here any good vehicle with high GC will do.I just need a vehicle which can run at speeds of atleast 100kms/hr on highways since i would be travelling a lot to and fro bangalore.I would prefer something that is also light on fuel and pocket. So i guess right now i guess the swing is more in favour of a jeep as suggested here.
Old 10th April 2008, 14:28   #15
BHPian

Do i have any other choises guys?and whats the difference between the MM540 and 550??sorry but my knowledge is very limited.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks