Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2008, 09:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i disagree for the following reasons:

1.Width of Sumo Grande is not lean really - it can be a bit of a pain in heavy traffic conditions compared with the others. [Easier in city, coz of less turning radius]
2. Sumo Grande comes with archaic leaf spring suspension in the rear - it is pretty bumpy - my colleague has one and we drove it around on bumpy roads and the back seat is certainly not as comfy as the Innova, Scorpio, Safari and Fusion since these four vehicles have much better and improved rear suspension.[Space will be more in Grande and ride should be on par with Scorpio]
3.My colleague also found his Grande very difficult to reverse and park on narrow lanes so he went and fitted a reversing camera on the vehicle! He never needed such an aid in the other vehicles he has owned till now.
[what did he own? Sedans?, All SUV has this issue]

cheerio
My comments in bold and square brackets
Old 5th July 2008, 09:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

My comments below....

Quote:
i disagree for the following reasons:

1.Width of Sumo Grande is not lean really - it can be a bit of a pain in heavy traffic conditions compared with the others.

Its only 10mm wider than the Innova and others are way way wider, I didnt get the justification for your statement.

If Grande is a pain then think about the others.

2. Sumo Grande comes with archaic leaf spring suspension in the rear - it is pretty bumpy - my colleague has one and we drove it around on bumpy roads and the back seat is certainly not as comfy as the Innova, Scorpio, Safari and Fusion since these four vehicles have much better and improved rear suspension.

Leaf springs might not be as comfortable as the coil ones, but they are sturdy and if you have a full load, comfortable as well.

3.My colleague also found his Grande very difficult to reverse and park on narrow lanes so he went and fitted a reversing camera on the vehicle! He never needed such an aid in the other vehicles he has owned till now.

Thats with every vehicle in this segment.
Old 5th July 2008, 10:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the above three, I would also say that at a pinch you could even consider the FORD FUSION PLUS 1.4 TDCI Diesel with ABS at Rs 8 lacs odd.
Some Advantages: Diesel with ABS, pretty comfortable headroom,compact proportions, SUV/Station Wagon stance and looks, good ground clearance, Diesel engine, very responsive and easy to handle in the city with good low end torque for those interminable first and second gear bumper to bumper crawls, spacious inside, decent interiors, excellent Fuel efficiencyin city (about 14 Kmpl with AC) and 18-20 Kmpl on highways, relatively low on maintenance unless ill treated consistently.
Some Disadvantages: Ford Service, general cost of spares, relatively high acquisition cost of the vehicle considering its overall size and value package.
The ford fusion also has a very very poor resale value, but as shankar.balan said its a great car and very easy to handle, great GC etc. Why not consider a ford incase you dont mind the looks and are only 2 people travelling in city?

Its much easier to park too.
Old 5th July 2008, 11:15   #19
BHPian

The Ford Fusion should be branded as Ford Con-Fusion because for the price, why would someone be stuck with a hatch. Ford may call it a small SUV but the fact remains that it is a costly hatch. Also, since the Redcandle's father likes the Scorpio, there is no reason why he should not get that.

@Redcandle: I would suggest that you arrange for a test drive of the Scorpio for your father and let him decide. If for comparison, he wants to test drive any other vehicle, he should do it and try to do a comparison and then go with what he is most comfortable in. Remember, since you are based outside the country and it will be your father who will have to look after it, its best that you leave the decision down to him. If you force something upon him, you will end up with a cursing father and a hole in your pocket.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 5th July 2008, 11:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
The Ford Fusion should be branded as Ford Con-Fusion because for the price, why would someone be stuck with a hatch. Ford may call it a small SUV but the fact remains that it is a costly hatch. Also, since the Redcandle's father likes the Scorpio, there is no reason why he should not get that.
The scorpio is a bigger vehicle to handle in traffic, more difficult to park, reverse, etc.

why not look at a smaller, easier vehicle to manage in city traffic. Remember that his dad might actually like the ford better, has better finish and handling than the scorpio.

Also, the quality of ford is superior to that of Mahindra, over a period of time.
Old 5th July 2008, 11:38   #21
NIP
Senior - BHPian

i have both the scorpio and the fusion and i highly recommend both !!

scorpio:
outright power and engine refinement - zero turbo lag. only downside is the space in the middle row, although it hasn't been much of an issue with me. i have the vehicle for almost 4 years now (done 50k). still feels like a gun ! mileage around 9-10 with 100% AC. it just loves the mud and tarmac equally - brilliant to drive everywhere ! in fact, my next change would be an m-Hawk for sure ! the deep throated engine roar and the turbo whistle in the scorpio are to die for !!

fusion: build quality and mileage. it returns 17+ in the city right now with 10% AC ! easily get 20+ on the highways. great ground clearance - never bother about the zillion odd speed breakers in the country. has superb boot space - biggest of all hatches i think. and rear legroom and space is brilliant - strictly 4 seater though.

safari: never owned one, but have driven them around a lot since a decade...right from the earliest models to the 2.2 Dicor. ONLY factor to buy this would be interior space. Scorpio outright trumps it in every other area. engine is not as refined and feels VERY agricultural. no offense to safari owners, but its my point of view and i'm entitled to it. i'm not flaming the vehicle here, just stating facts.

hope that helps - cheers !

Last edited by NIP : 5th July 2008 at 11:58.
Old 5th July 2008, 11:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The scorpio is a bigger vehicle to handle in traffic, more difficult to park, reverse, etc.

why not look at a smaller, easier vehicle to manage in city traffic. Remember that his dad might actually like the ford better, has better finish and handling than the scorpio.

Also, the quality of ford is superior to that of Mahindra, over a period of time.
I have seen people go against their heart and get what they thought was practical and regret. Also, if there is a will, there is always a way. If someone is hell bent on getting a Scorpio, then no amount of reasoning and suggestion can change their minds. As far as parking is concerned, I am sure that redcandle and his dad will be in a better position to decide. As far as city driving is concerned, we have several Scorpio owners in here who will disagree with you and claim that the Scorpio is a breeze to handle in the city and in stop-and-go traffic conditions. Moreover, I am also made to believe this by Tanveer who did an absolute gem of a test drive report about the Scorpio recently. Moreover, the Scorpio MHawk fits the 10 lakh budget set aside by Redcandle perfectly. If you have a budget for a Merc, will you settle down for a Skoda? I won't and I rest my case. It comes down to Redcandle and his father.
Old 5th July 2008, 12:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Safari 2.2 / Scorpio mHwak are the clear winners. You can also consider Innova if your father is OK with the MUV tag it carries. If you compare the three, IMO, Innova hands down. TD all the 3 and then you can decide.
Old 5th July 2008, 12:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

There are enough Safari versus Scorpio threads around here that the gentleman can browse and we all know what the arguements are for and against each vehicle. However in this case we know what the user wants and whatever may be the faults of the Scorpio there is no reason why a person should not buy one.

The chap's father wants a Scorpio - he even went to check it out in the showroom. You dont tell your parents and your children what they should want - you give them what they want. I dont think this is a suitable venue for exercising our egos.

Last edited by Steeroid : 5th July 2008 at 12:16.
Old 5th July 2008, 14:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
There are enough Safari versus Scorpio threads around here that the gentleman can browse and we all know what the arguements are for and against each vehicle...

Guys, please do not make this a Safari Vs Scorpio thread. Too much of flooding has happened under that bridge.

Lets keep in mind RedCandle's requirement and his fathers inclination, with that it is a no-brainer that Scorpio fits. The other consideration can be a Innova but certainly not Safari.

RC, if your dad is going to drive most of the time then it is Scorpio else if he going to be chauffeured, then Innova.
Old 5th July 2008, 15:07   #26
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Voicing an opinion about a scorpio/safari anywhere on this forum seems to be misunderstood for flaming/bashing. And I can clearly see what the person wants, I have two of the vehicles being discussed here.

Last edited by NIP : 5th July 2008 at 15:10.
Old 5th July 2008, 17:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
As far as parking is concerned, I am sure that redcandle and his dad will be in a better position to decide. ...

As far as city driving is concerned, we have several Scorpio owners in here who will disagree with you and claim that the Scorpio is a breeze to handle in the city and in stop-and-go traffic conditions. Moreover, I am also made to believe this by Tanveer who did an absolute gem of a test drive report about the Scorpio recently. Moreover, the Scorpio MHawk fits the 10 lakh budget set aside by Redcandle perfectly. ....It comes down to Redcandle and his father.
Boss, why does anyone post on a forum in the first place? Its not for ego bashing or mine is bigger than yours kind.. Its just to get a varied opinion and feedback as to what one could go for in a suitable budget!

I dont want to get personal with anyone to accept or decline in his ideas. Lets be pragmatic and voice all options. Also we all know that the final decision is with RC and his dad, not you and me.

I'm sure all scorpio owners will say positive things about their cars. That is the case for safari owners, Ford Fusion owners..well just about any car owner. Unless he is a frustrated soul looking for enlightenment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I dont think this is a suitable venue for exercising our egos.
I agree with you in that part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
RC, if your dad is going to drive most of the time then it is Scorpio else if he going to be chauffeured, then Innova.
Oops..i had the complete opposite opinion. The innova is easier to drive and handle better gives better feedback to the driver etc. But having said that, I would agree that the scorpio has a commanding road view and presence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Voicing an opinion about a scorpio/safari anywhere on this forum seems to be misunderstood for flaming/bashing.
Looks like all the safari / scorpio owners are a little senstive to the issue. But I agree with you on your POV.
Old 5th July 2008, 22:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Oops..i had the complete opposite opinion. The innova is easier to drive and handle better gives better feedback to the driver etc. But having said that, I would agree that the scorpio has a commanding road view and presence! ...
You are absolutely right on the driving comfort of Innova. My views were based on the following two facts:

1. that the Innova has a better passenger seating comfort than Scorpio. So this is the choice if one is being driven around.

2. amongst Innova and Scorpio, the Scorpio commands an advantage in terms of 'road' respect if compared with Innova. People, that is other road vehicles, are very cautious and would never like to mess with a Scorpio. So, this will be a plus if RC's dad is driving.

Quote:
...Looks like all the safari / scorpio owners are a little senstive to the issue.
Both camps are very proud of their vehicles, the way it is supposed to be! :-)

Last edited by HappyWheels : 5th July 2008 at 22:03.
Old 5th July 2008, 22:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

If below 10-12 Lakhs SUV is considered, then there are two options open:
1) Scorpio
2) Safari.

The other cars you can look at is Sumo Grande and Chevrolet Tavera. Both of them are capable machines but are not good at offroading.

However, as the vehicle is going to be driven mainly in busy areas, and if you are going to use vehicle for offroading, then, IMO, the car to go in for is Toyota Innova.
IMO, Innova is very car like and getting accustomed is easy.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 5th July 2008 at 22:32.
Old 5th July 2008, 22:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
...However, as the vehicle is going to be driven mainly in busy areas, and if you are going to use vehicle for offroading, then, IMO, the car to go in for is Toyota Innova.
IMO, Innova is very car like and getting accustomed is easy.

Tell me you forgot to add the "not" in this statement!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks