Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2008, 13:26   #16
BHPian

If that question was for me then I have not upsized the tyres.
Old 10th September 2008, 00:16   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculez View Post
I measured it full tank to full tank. That shaking the car procedure for the air lock **** and all also.

I Personally feel the michellin tyres which give me a better grips somewhere affects the FE.

Yeah i checked and there are no fuel leaks. In fact did a entire car checkup 3 days before the tour.

I really wanna figure out its just my car or any other Scorpio doing 100KM/Hr + gives the same FE.
Blame it on the bad fuel quality during your re-fueling.

Its not about the Scorpio or the Safari, both the cars are supposed to give an average of 11.5 to 13 kms per litre of diesel on highway driving conditions.

Dont think too much over it, your cars finecheers:
Old 10th September 2008, 00:39   #18
BHPian

This is precisely why I never check the FE on mine.. It gives approx 9 on highways, but I am doing pedal to the metal - all the time.
Old 10th September 2008, 10:54   #19
BHPian

I fuel up only from one particular petrol pump in Gharkopar (mumbai) called Ravi petrol Pump. Hes supposed to have good fuel quality (without mixing) and also the largest sale in Mumbai. I go all the way 2KM just to fuel up from him.

Also honestly the drive was fun. I could feel the power and joy of riding the beast. But i need more FE cars. Its not just about money but also about global warming.
Old 10th September 2008, 11:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Molegulz: My 14 months old crde, 26 k kms, gives between 10.5 and 10.8 kms/ ltr, A/C on all the time, stock 16" tyres on the highway, full tank to full tank check, In the city it should be around 9-10. I also push the beast, usual speeds on highway of 120+. I think this is OK considering all parameters.

Your FE is way too low, pl. get it checked at the ASC on their diagnostic computer.

--Ramky

Last edited by ramkya1 : 10th September 2008 at 11:56.
Old 10th September 2008, 12:02   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Mr.Moleculez - Ref your first post on K&N filter, my request is as follows - PLEASE REVERT TO PRODUCTION AIR CLEANER ASSEMBLY IMMEDIATELY.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 10th September 2008, 12:03   #22
Team-BHP Support

If you upsize your tires then you cannot use your odometer reading for accurate calculation of distance covered. You may need to depend on the physical distances between destinations using milestones.

I remember reading that this was one of the problems with the Palio.
The odo was not calibrated correctly and hence gave an impression of very bad milage.
Old 10th September 2008, 13:12   #23
BANNED

What gear were you in mostly and how much load were you carrying?

I got 9.75 kpl last month for a trip on the GQ between Chennai & Bangalore, pedal to the metal, A/C on all the way, 3 people, 60% rear seat folded down and the entire boot + this folded part filled with luggage (secured properly). This was on a 3.0 Safari DiCOR which had done 36500 km then. Completely stock.

The next trip, same route & conditions & speeds minus the extra luggage returned 11.42 kpl @39200 km.
Old 10th September 2008, 13:22   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

last time we did a long distance with AC on we got 11.56 Kmpl - that was Ooty and Back from Bangalore -round trip including highway, some city driving, some bad roads, hill driving, etc.
The same figures more or less were returned on my recent drive with full load of passengers and ac on all the time to Mysore and back on the highway with some city driving thrown in.
Normally I get about 9-10 Kmpl within the city.
Mine is a 5 month old stock 2.6 Crde 2WD. OEM tyres but after market alloys.
No mods and other things done on the vehicle and especially its engine. Absolutely stock.
I believe this kind of FE is pretty reasonable from a vehicle as large and heavy as the Scorpio, given our driving conditions in India, whether in city, highways, hills or wherever.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th September 2008 at 13:24.
Old 10th September 2008, 15:32   #25
BHPian

Behram Dhabhar If i reverse back to the stock Air filter i am sure the FE will drop even more.

dicorex4x4 we were 5 of us in the car and little luggage. I was cliping 100+ most of the time.

I am planning to calculate what FE i get in the city driving cause in there i mostly travel alone with my music :P
Old 10th September 2008, 23:46   #26
BHPian

FE does tend to drop because of the aerodynamics. You would probably get the best FE at around 80kmph, after which you are burning more just fighting the wind.

I have a 4x4 CRDe, and on my last highway drive to Chandigarh and back, I got 11.6kpl with AC, but did not exceed 90-100kmph, as I had my one-year-old daughter and wife with me.

The best highway mileage I've ever achieved was 12.98 kpl en route to Udaipur (again, not exceeding 100kmph with baby on board).

In city - I get between 10.22 to 10.78kpl week to week, tankful to tankful of IOC Extramile.

Cheers,
Old 11th September 2008, 10:05   #27
BHPian

So its like if you wanna have fun with the beast better pay for it! Or else drive at 80KmPl and save your money. The choice is yours!
Old 12th September 2008, 08:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
- PLEASE REVERT TO PRODUCTION AIR CLEANER ASSEMBLY IMMEDIATELY.
Quote:
Behram Dhabhar If i reverse back to the stock Air filter i am sure the FE will drop even more.
I think Behram's idea is worth a test but in the future. They may have installed the KN incorrectly, you may have an obstruction...any number of things.

First, I would just keep calculating the fuel average for awhile to see if it improves. Michelins are GREAT tyres, they are not the problem. Under inflation could be a problem, though.

If the problem continues put the stock filter back and do the test. If the problem continues with the stock filter go to the dealer, with the stock filter back in place, and ask them about it. Do not mention the KN. If you do, they may just give up on your problem. You might ask them specifically to do a "reflash" of your computer. This will reprogram it and reset the parameters of your ecu. This should cost nothing or next to nothing and should be easy for them to do and will take 10 minutes if they know what they are doing, 20 if they do not.

Behram, we miss you on the 4x4 forum!

Last edited by DirtyDan : 12th September 2008 at 08:47.
Old 12th September 2008, 08:57   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Dan - wish I could contribute better but just no time at all, working on a project which will delight all of you very shortly. Please PM me.

For this vehicle, the production air cleaner must go back as there is a pressure sensor in the "clean air" hose which if disturbed in any way will vary the signal that the ECU will recieve. In absense of photographs, I cannot comment further. Also in absense of correct air cleaner, bore wear rate will be 100 times more than normal. The end of the tailpipe is expeced to be black and sooty.

Please please revert back to production aggregates, a lot of good work goes into putting them there in the first place. Please believe me guys, I know.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 12th September 2008, 09:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

K&N Apollo Universal Filter
Michellin Latitude Tubeless Tyres

The FE i got was 9.8Km/Ltr on the highway driving. I was surprised as i was expected atleast 12-13 Km/Ltr. The filter was cleaned a week before the trip.
Maybe they disturbed the pressure sensor in the intake while cleaning the filter ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

For this vehicle, the production air cleaner must go back as there is a pressure sensor in the "clean air" hose which if disturbed in any way will vary the signal that the ECU will recieve.
OK, but if the intake hose is not disturbed, then there should not be an issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks