Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2008, 15:21   #1
BHPian

Plan B Advice: New to buy a car | SUV/MUV ?

Alright people, I'm done with Honda. My car is still in the service center - but I'm thinking of selling it off at the first instance I can. I'm off Honda.

Please help me with options on
  • How much will my car be worth now. Its a Sept 2006 purchase [first civic in Pune, apparently]

I think I'm done with sedans. I'll get a SUV next if I have to - but don't really know. My choices could be
  • Pajero
  • Endeavour
  • Vitara
  • Safari ?
  • Scorpio ?

Budget - need to build one. :-(

Advice/Help needed.

Thanks!
Old 6th September 2008, 16:26   #2
BHPian

Ummm..
since u hv more or less included all the SUVs, we now have a wide range to work with

If you are going to remain in the below 12lacs scene, my opinion is to go for the mHawk Scorpio.

But if u r moving into 20lac scene, then why dont you have a look at the Chevrolet Captiva as well? And even Volkswagen Tiguan is being launched in the nxt coupla months.
And ofcourse we have the die-hard Pajero.
Old 6th September 2008, 17:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith2 View Post
How much will my car be worth now. Its a Sept 2006 purchase [first civic in Pune, apparently]
Pls inform us how much it has run. The vehicle price also depends on how many kms it has run. For more details you can go through the used car price thread here or carewale.com

Give us the budget you are looking at we can suggest the SUV you are looking into. But for 10~12L- you will get Safari/mHawk; 15L-GV; upto 20L-Pajero/Endeavour. Hope this is OK.

Also you need to inform us the usage pattern. It wil help us zerodown on the particular vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhun View Post
But if u r moving into 20lac scene, then why dont you have a look at the Chevrolet Captiva as well? And even Volkswagen Tiguan is being launched in the nxt coupla months.
Nope. I do not advice you go for Captiva or Tiguan. The A** of GM is still a huge question mark. And VW, they are establishing newly and they have to prove in the A** in India.

Better go for the vehicles which gives a good A** like MSIL/Tata/M&M and to some extent Ford.

Last edited by snaronikar : 6th September 2008 at 17:18.
Old 6th September 2008, 18:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

@ Agentsmit2 - What are you planning to do with your Civic? If the insurance people don't pay the whole amount, you'll have to shell out the deficit. Or, sell the car as it is which will fetch peanuts. And, you won't be able to sell a flood affected car easily.
But, if the Civic sale proceeds don't affect your budget there are quite a few options.
Old 6th September 2008, 23:14   #5
BHPian

Suv

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Nope. I do not advice you go for Captiva or Tiguan. The A** of GM is still a huge question mark. And VW, they are establishing newly and they have to prove in the A** in India.

Better go for the vehicles which gives a good A** like MSIL/Tata/M&M and to some extent Ford.
with snaronikar with regards to the a-s-s concerns of GM and Volkswagen in India. But with the extended warranty for all Chevy vehicles, I am sure there wouldnt be too many issues.

And agreed that Volkswagen is still setting up in India, but they are not one to slack, and anyways I am very biased towards Tiguan ;p

And also Volkswagen are pretty sturdy vehicles, like the Skoda.IMO.

Even Toyota, Hyundai and Mitsubishi are launching new SUVs late this yr and early nxt yr.
Hyundai is coming out with the Santa Fe.
Mitsubishi is coming out with Outlander.
And Toyota is talking abt releasing the Fortuner.

Scorpio mHawk is a good bet, as of now in the sub-15L range.

You have to enlighten us with more details as to your usage.
rowhun
Old 6th September 2008, 23:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

according to me, from the list you specified, on a tight budget, the mHAWK is the preferred one or if money is no issue, then the pajero.
Old 6th September 2008, 23:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

GV with a 1.9/2.0 Multijet would be yummy!
Old 7th September 2008, 11:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you want driving comfort, mean presence on the road, tank like build and some tumble in the jungle, go for the 4x4 Safari 2.2. It comes with LSD as well. Whereas the others, except Pajero don't measure up. Endy is too heavy, GV is AWD that is not a true 4x4.

Last edited by gd1418 : 7th September 2008 at 11:32.
Old 8th September 2008, 19:37   #9
BHPian

My views
- Pajero - Outdated engine, but still the most preferred for off-roading capabilities
- Endeavour - Too huge for indian roads, preferred as a II vehicle rather than for daily routines
- Vitara - interiors not appealing, basic cost cutting very evident (lack of leather seats
- Safari - VFM, Bells and whistles come loaded. Just be ready to bear niggles - electric problems, smoke issue. Also not sure about Pune Tata A**, i was not happy with Bangalore Tata A**.
- Scorpio - i haven't driven the Mhawk. Rear seating is not very comfortable but is a very easy to drive SUV in the city conditions.

Suggest you to keep Captiva also in the list. I have read some tags on Mitsubishi Outlander being launched this festive season, from the readings and views its definitely worth giving a look at.

Cheers and happy hunting.
Old 8th September 2008, 23:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Captiva. Diesel ki diesel. Lovely presence, and its sold amazingly well (check our sales tracking gurus out here for more). With GM having presence in MH, GJ -you needn't bother after sales. You're not planning runs like apne sudev ji in his GV, are you?
Old 9th September 2008, 09:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Captiva. Diesel ki diesel. Lovely presence,
Correct. But no 4x4, not even AWD

Why waste that kinda money for presence alone?
Old 9th September 2008, 12:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Pajero - still performs like a dream and gives decent FE too.

Safari - I said that earlier...

Scorpio - Very capable, very peppy off the blocks, mean looks, good FE. And who cares about the rear seating while driving a truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbaliga View Post
My views
- Pajero - Outdated engine, but still the most preferred for off-roading capabilities
- Endeavour - Too huge for indian roads, preferred as a II vehicle rather than for daily routines
- Vitara - interiors not appealing, basic cost cutting very evident (lack of leather seats
- Safari - VFM, Bells and whistles come loaded. Just be ready to bear niggles - electric problems, smoke issue. Also not sure about Pune Tata A**, i was not happy with Bangalore Tata A**.
- Scorpio - i haven't driven the Mhawk. Rear seating is not very comfortable but is a very easy to drive SUV in the city conditions.

Suggest you to keep Captiva also in the list. I have read some tags on Mitsubishi Outlander being launched this festive season, from the readings and views its definitely worth giving a look at.

Cheers and happy hunting.
Old 9th September 2008, 14:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Correct. But no 4x4, not even AWD
I believe they are launching the AT pretty soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Pajero - still performs like a dream and gives decent FE too.
I thought that Pajero sucked at FE. I was under the impression that Pajero had a FE of around 7 in the city?
Old 9th September 2008, 15:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhun View Post
I believe they are launching the AT pretty soon.
Maybe but I was talking about All Wheel Drive.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
But no 4x4, not even AWD
Old 9th September 2008, 17:18   #15
BHPian

right,
but i forgot to add that the new automatic Captiva is a AWD.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks