Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 18:23   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
Not really i must admit, steerings assisted with PS are more hard when engine is not running, or engine is shut. Try turning the vehicle with PS fitted when its shut n try turning a vehicle without PS, the non PS would be easier n softer to turn than the 1 with PS.
Why would anyone want to steer the vehicle when its off? Only 1 reason - when you're engine is shot. Now according to you, the DI Engine is fool-proof, which I agree with. So the chances of this happening is very remote.

However, very very technically - you are right. But I think we all know this.

Thirdly, the Bolero steering IS extremely vague. Make that an understatement. Which is why I personally stayed away from the CRDE version when I did not find any mention of the PS being worked on - just the brakes. And the non-PS versions are like a regular jeep's steering. Play comes into play very eagerly.
Old 19th March 2009, 19:31   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Why would anyone want to steer the vehicle when its off? Only 1 reason - when you're engine is shot. Now according to you, the DI Engine is fool-proof, which I agree with. So the chances of this happening is very remote.

However, very very technically - you are right. But I think we all know this.

Thirdly, the Bolero steering IS extremely vague. Make that an understatement. Which is why I personally stayed away from the CRDE version when I did not find any mention of the PS being worked on - just the brakes. And the non-PS versions are like a regular jeep's steering. Play comes into play very eagerly.
Dude, i was trying to tell the diff between a power steering and simple steering, as spitfire had said to feel the diff just steer the Power steering when the engine is shut and thats exactly how a normal steering is. So basically what he meant was normal steering = PS when engine is turned off, if i understood him correct.
What i said was PS is more hard than a non PS if you try to operate/steer when engine is not on, i.e. PS pump is not functioning.
Old 19th March 2009, 19:55   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

That is true. You are right technically. Try and write in better flowing english. Very tough to read fast when...u rite like dis in all ur posts.
Old 20th March 2009, 07:26   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
That is true. You are right technically. Try and write in better flowing english. Very tough to read fast when...u rite like dis in all ur posts.
Making the best of what ever little i know, sir. And i thought i had stopped writing like "dis"
Old 20th March 2009, 11:43   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

We all learn brother. No hard feelings. Keep up the Bolero-isation!
Old 20th March 2009, 12:00   #81
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
So basically what he meant was normal steering = PS when engine is turned off, if i understood him correct.
What i said was PS is more hard than a non PS if you try to operate/steer when engine is not on, i.e. PS pump is not functioning.
Agree. But my point remains.
Old 20th March 2009, 19:12   #82
BHPian

Sorry - didn't see this post before - so many threads on Bolero - Wow

OK - I booked my VLX CRDe it a 8.19L in Bangalore - was haggling for loan - cen vat cut announced - price dropped - recession started - finally fought and bought for 7.79L. Saved almost 40,000

[quote=Red Liner;1147145]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsolo27 View Post

yes! The price has dropped. RockyB purchased his Bolero VLX for 8.2L in December (am I right?) and now the on-road price for the VLX is 7.7L.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:35   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Hey jgsolo, you have a stunner there. Its surprising to see the bolero stand the test of time and still look so cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter
Nevertheless I'm looking out for a nice pair of front seats.

Does anyone know what seats are these? I found them in T-bhp long time back; can't seem to find the thread now!

That is CHAXY's Bolero. PM him.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/chaxy.html

@Chaxy

Thanks for your compliments. I understand that you had modified the front seats of your Bolero. I am around 6' tall and I really need a modified seat for my ride. Hope you will be able to throw some light on this sibject.
Old 30th March 2009, 20:43   #84
BHPian

I got a Bolero VLX crde recently (please note 'got' as opposed to 'bought'). What upsets me even today is that though my f-in-law had earlier zeroed in on a 2007 Scorpio, he changed his mind at the last moment since he felt he could buy a new bolero for the price of an old Scorpio. Unfortunately his last moment light bulb has turned into a millstone around my neck for god knows how many years. I find the Bolero very stressful and tiring to drive inspite of all it's bells & whistles. But I'm somehow tolerating the vehicle since I need it for point-to-point travel to my in-laws estate in TN. Till last week, I used to drive around in an Estilo.

Anyways, just want a couple of queries answered.

1) Wouldn't a 2007 Scorpio have been a much better investment for Rs.6.8-7 Lac, in terms of comfort and drivability? I wouldn't know since I haven't driven a Scorpio as yet.

2) A very depressing aspect of the Bolero is the 'jumpy-ness' in the rear which makes me uncomfortable when I'm driving and pukish when I'm in the backseat. So I want to know if there's something which can be done to the rear shocks (perhaps some readjustment of the settings?) or specifically to the rear tyres (alloy wheels and wide tubeless tyres only in the back?) to get rid off or at least tone down the bumpy ride.

Last edited by MudMover : 30th March 2009 at 20:55.
Old 30th March 2009, 21:53   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
I got a Bolero VLX crde recently (please note 'got' as opposed to 'bought').....Unfortunately his last moment light bulb has turned into a millstone around my neck for god knows how many years. I find the Bolero very stressful and tiring to drive inspite of all it's bells & whistles. But I'm somehow tolerating the vehicle since I need it for point-to-point travel to my in-laws estate in TN.
Hmmm..thats an interesting perspective from somebody with a Bolero forced down his throat. Usually people BUY Bolero because they like it and they know before-hand what it offers. I've driven it for 22K km WITH FAMILY and its not as bad as you said. Maybe our expectations matched its offerings. Maybe you expected a plush ride.

I don't think much can be done to improve the ride comfort.
Old 30th March 2009, 22:02   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What upsets me even today is that though my f-in-law had earlier zeroed in on a 2007 Scorpio, he changed his mind at the last moment since he felt he could buy a new bolero for the price of an old Scorpio. Unfortunately his last moment light bulb has turned into a millstone around my neck for god knows how many years.
I think you will kill him soon.

Quote:
Anyways, just want a couple of queries answered.

1) Wouldn't a 2007 Scorpio have been a much better investment for Rs.6.8-7 Lac, in terms of comfort and drivability? I wouldn't know since I haven't driven a Scorpio as yet.
YES. Actually you get a new one now with the Mhawk for 7.1 lakhs ex-showroom. Much better VFM than a CRDE Bolero. Which is why I cancelled the Bolero.

Quote:
2) A very depressing aspect of the Bolero is the 'jumpy-ness' in the rear which makes me uncomfortable when I'm driving and pukish when I'm in the backseat. So I want to know if there's something which can be done to the rear shocks (perhaps some readjustment of the settings?) or specifically to the rear tyres (alloy wheels and wide tubeless tyres only in the back?) to get rid off or at least tone down the bumpy ride.
Not much you can do. The Bolero was built to be tough and withstand years of abuse. Just drive the damn thing like you give two hoots to the roads, and you will soon start having new respect for the machine. Ah, one thing you can do is replace the seats. Right away.
Old 31st March 2009, 00:25   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I got a Bolero VLX crde recently (please note 'got' as opposed to 'bought'). What upsets me even today is that though my f-in-law had earlier zeroed in on a 2007 Scorpio, he changed his mind at the last moment since he felt he could buy a new bolero for the price of an old Scorpio. Unfortunately his last moment light bulb has turned into a millstone around my neck for god knows how many years. I find the Bolero very stressful and tiring to drive inspite of all it's bells & whistles. But I'm somehow tolerating the vehicle since I need it for point-to-point travel to my in-laws estate in TN. Till last week, I used to drive around in an Estilo.
I suggest to upgrade the Father In Law.
Old 31st March 2009, 02:40   #88
BHPian

Thanks all for your views!

I'd taken a clipping of the Bolero doing what it was bought for. This is what me and this beast are required to do every week come sun, rain or snow (or whatever).

Video quality is bad and so is the editing. Kindly excuse.
Old 31st March 2009, 07:23   #89
BHPian

Not much can be done about he rear jumpiness of it, as its stiff leaf suspension at the rear. Its prime purpose was to carry passengers, or so Mahindras thought, so they gave it leaf suspension instead of springs. Its bound to jump at speed breakers, but not so bad at bad roads, i dont know how n why its so stressful for you to drive it in bad roads, as its a pleasure to drive on those roads, and if you are sitting at the steering wheel or on front passenger seat, it should not be bad at all as front suspension is nice spring supsension which absorbs the bad roads pretty good. Are you sure you dont have the tyres over inflated?
Old 6th April 2009, 19:21   #90
BHPian

Would Bolero DI turbo be dis-continued in 2010?

Read that by 2010 all metros in India would have BS IV emission norm.
Can Bolero DI meet BS IV emission norm?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks