Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2013, 13:19   #16
BHPian

Re: Need to decide between Fortuner D4D, X-Trail 2.5 Petrol or Honda CRV 2.0 Petrol

TFort is really good. Though it looks huge, it is very easy to handle even in thick city traffic. After all it comes from Toyota stable with their reliability and the Q-Class after sales service. Don't look anywhere else.
Old 8th April 2013, 17:41   #17
BANNED

Re: Need to decide between Fortuner D4D, X-Trail 2.5 Petrol or Honda CRV 2.0 Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveshsingh View Post
My heart says go for CRV and my mind says go for T-Fort. The only screw up if I go for CRV is what if they launch diesel model, which according to sales person is coming by year end or early next year.
Between the two, since you are not into hard core offroading, the CR-V is the vehicle of choice. Well built, very comfortable, extremely smooth and feels and drives like a car. The Fortuner is no comparison to the luxe feel of the CR-V.

The diesel CR-V is expected to be launched sometime after March 2014, for now. Can you wait till then?
Old 9th April 2013, 17:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Do consider the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport! It is pretty good!
Not considering it because it doesn't have automatic.
Old 13th April 2013, 17:49   #19
BHPian

TFort Auto is the way to go when comparing with Pajero and CRV. TF is considered a reliable vehicle with very few niggles. Dynamics wise, it is not in the range of CRV for sure. One big gripe for me is that, TF still has rear wheel drum brake! I am not too sure, whether the recent updates made any significant improvement.

D4D 3l is a gem. But could make some serious noise on highways! like Innova does.

How about Santa Fe 2.2 (great car but the new model is due anytime soon!)

OT : Not sure how this thread got its life back. Fyi, I bought a X-Trail in 2008, thoroughly enjoyed it! Can cruise at 160kmph and no worries. Brakes are too good and once saved my life! But, it had an ABS problem. Nissan service couldn't fix it. They even recalled later, I believe. I sold the car in 2010 and moved to Muscat. Bought a Prado 150 in 2012 and it is been a good experience!
Old 22nd July 2013, 02:31   #20
BHPian

A colleague of mine is looking for an SUV in the 25lac price bracket. I am posting this on his behalf.

Requirements :

1) All time Self driven vehicle.
2) Will be driven in the city(Bangalore) most often with a maximum of 5 to 6 highway trips a year.
3) Will not cross 1000km per month, i.e. apart from the long distance trips.
4) Not into Off-roading.
5) Should be an automatic.
6) Will be used as the primary and only vehicle.
7) Will be having it for a minimum of 5 years and above. Should be long term reliable.
8) Not an enthusiastic driver, but the vehicle should be reasonably fun to drive and not a lazy auto.
9) Considering that its a long term ownership, it should be easy on maintenance.
10) Should seat 5 people in good comfort.

I did suggest him to consider a sedan which would suit his requirements the best, but he is bent upon getting himself an SUV and Fortuner tops the list. So would like to have some expert opinion on the same.
Old 22nd July 2013, 06:37   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post
A colleague of mine is looking for an SUV in the 25lac price bracket. I am posting this on his behalf.

Requirements :

2) Will be driven in the city(Bangalore) most often with a maximum of 5 to 6 highway trips a year.
4) Not into Off-roading.
7) Will be having it for a minimum of 5 years and above. Should be long term reliable.
8) Not an enthusiastic driver, but the vehicle should be reasonably fun to drive and not a lazy auto.
9) Considering that its a long term ownership, it should be easy on maintenance.

I did suggest him to consider a sedan which would suit his requirements the best, but he is bent upon getting himself an SUV and Fortuner tops the list. So would like to have some expert opinion on the same.
For a gent such as the one you describe, he would be absolutely happiest with Honda from a sheer 'self drive user pleasure perspective'.
Try and explain to him that the Fortuner has now become synonymous with evil politicos and vicious real estate goonies and steer him in the direction of the Honda.
Believe me, he will be your pal for life because the Hondas daily driver dynamics in this terrible city traffic, is always going to be far superior to that of the Fortuners.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:21   #22
BANNED

Quote:
So would like to have some expert opinion on the same.
For the kind of usage that you're looking for, ask him to check out the new CRV or a pre owned piece. There are other options as well but they are going to be costlier.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:29   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Requirements :

4) Not into Off-roading.

I have an interesting option for your friend.

Almost all your criteria is fulfilled by one car. The Mercedes Benz B class.

Mind you the B class is not out of the budget because it is priced similar to the CR-V and a little more than the Fortuner.

You get the 3 pointed star, diesel, automatic, very comfortable space at the back and safety features which are a league ahead of the other cars in contention.

Here's a very interesting comparison I read a few weeks back:

http://overdrive.in/reviews/2013-hon...ss-in-india-2/

http://overdrive.in/reviews/2013-mer...cdi-road-test/
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:03   #24
BHPian

I recommend the Santa Fe. I have driven it extensively and absolutely owns the TF in every department other then badge value. The new one is a big improvement over the current one, though not sure when it's getting launched. Should be soon since the mules have been spotted recently.

If your friend doesn't have to seat more than 4 the Q3 is also a good option.
kewlferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Rahul

i would recommend the Captiva to your friend.

Supremely comfy, very refined, punchy diesel, good autobox and brilliant ride quality.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 20:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
For a gent such as the one you describe, he would be absolutely happiest with Honda from a sheer 'self drive user pleasure perspective'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
For the kind of usage that you're looking for, ask him to check out the new CRV or a pre owned piece. There are other options as well but they are going to be costlier.
Crv is second option considered after Fortuner, but there isn't a single ownership thread available. That is apart from mod Jaggu's, where he has panned down both crv and Honda. To add to the confusion, there are numerous fortuner threads with rave reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I have an interesting option for your friend.

Almost all your criteria is fulfilled by one car. The Mercedes Benz B class.
Yes it would, but wouldn't a Merc be very expensive to maintain? Considering the fact that it would be long term ownership for well over 5 years as the primary vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlferrari View Post
I recommend the Santa Fe. I have driven it extensively and absolutely owns the TF in every department other then badge value.
If your friend doesn't have to seat more than 4 the Q3 is also a good option.
Santa fe is on the radar, hope it's launched soon. No he wants a 5 seater. As of now he is not considering the luxury brands for reasons mentioned above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Rahul

i would recommend the Captiva to your friend.

Supremely comfy, very refined, punchy diesel, good autobox and brilliant ride quality.
He wasn't considering this, not sure why. Will check with him.
rahul_9327 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 21:21   #27
BANNED

Quote:

Crv is second option considered after Fortuner, but there isn't a single ownership thread available. That is apart from mod Jaggu's, where he has panned down both crv and Honda. To add to the confusion, there are numerous fortuner threads with rave reviews.
TBHP not having a lot of ownership reviews doesn't mean that the CRV is not a good vehicle Rahul. The CRV is an excellent vehicle and the new model, in spite of not being too different has been a success far greater than everyone's expectations. Ask your friend to take a test drive. He will be smitten.
Old 22nd July 2013, 22:04   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

What about the Rexton? I feel its a very capable vehicle and comes at a very attractive price point too. Diesel, AT, Relatively decent service centres, loaded with features, VFM, looks different from the usual same bunch of SUVs.
Old 23rd July 2013, 21:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:

Requirements :

4) Not into Off-roading.

One word, three syllables FORTUNER

It ticks all the boxes, is fun to drive, has oodles of prestige and macho appeal, kick ass resale, reliable as a rock and great Toyota service.

Please, the CRV looks awful atleast the old one had some appeal, this one is just wrong.

The only car I feel is comparable to Fortuner is the Santa Fe. Wait for the new one, soon in Dealerships near you.

Tell us how it goes. Good Luck
Old 5th August 2013, 11:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Requirements :

4) Not into Off-roading.

+1. I would suggest the Fortuner too. It's been heard and said quite a many times that once you've set your eyes on the Fortuner, there's no looking back. The TFort has a raw brute appeal that no other SUV in that price bracket can match as of date!

Ask your friend to TD every available SUV in the market, and he'll come back to the Fortuner. I can say this only because you've already mentioned that the Fortuner has topped his list, already. I wouldn't really be surprised if he brings home one

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks