Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 07:00   #1
BHPian

Need to decide between Fortuner D4D, X-Trail 2.5 Petrol or Honda CRV 2.0 Petrol

Iam planning to treat myself with an SUV coming new year. Shortlisted on Fortuner, Xtrail and CRV Btw I am in Brunei).

Driven Fortuner manual for short distance and thought the gear was not that accurate. It is a bit notchy. Feels a bit oversized phsyically and and engine also a bit too much as well for the purpose. Interior is not so enthralling or exciting. Advantages are the Diesel engine and it is Toyota. And it is made in Thailand.

Xtrail - Made in Japan, new model has better FE and bigger size boot. Good off roader according to reviews. The boot looks a bit overhanging from the design perspective. Not sporty looking as the Gen 1. Feels smaller compared to Fortuner.

CRV- Design is a bit confusing. More of CUV than a SUV. Made in Japan as well but just 2.0. May feel underpowered when comparing with X-Trail. Better FE than X-Trail. Honda's reliability is a bonus.

The cheapest is Xtrail, then CRV is costlier by just few thousands. Fortuner is the costliest of all in the list by almost 10000 dollors.

What I look for is the SUV factor to feed my ego, reliability, resale value and lighter on Fuel bills.
Old 19th November 2008, 09:54   #2
BHPian

I would go with the X-trail given the kind of factors you have outlined that would decide your purchase. It's the best overall package IMO and plus it is built in Japan as well. Looks are subjective and open to perception, personally I quite like the look of the X-trail sold in India and I believe it is the same model that you have driven.
Old 19th November 2008, 12:52   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

How about used Landcruiser 100s, Pajeros & the like? Aren't they available in plentiful down there?
Old 19th November 2008, 12:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

BTW, is it the all new X-Trail which incidentally looks very much like the old one (one which is sold in India)?
Edit: Did not notice you have already mentioned 'new model'

From what I know of the vehicles you have mentioned, CRV and X-Trails are low slung and almost car-like, but Fortuner is a fairly tall vehicle and may not offer the same driving manners as the other two. This could be one of the parameters you may consider.
But obviosly Fotuner is more butch looking and will have better road pesence.

Last edited by Guna : 19th November 2008 at 13:06.
Old 21st November 2008, 04:14   #5
BHPian

Zeroing on XTrail!

Thanks for the comments!

I test drove xtrail and Grand Vitara as well for good period of time. GV is a big let down! Poor quality interior, rude and rough engine and power delivery. Built to the price. No No.

Xtrail, 6 Speed CVT, 6 airbags, large cargo, technically superior 4WD system, superb build quality, powerful 2.5l engine.

Almost confirmed! Will update!
Old 21st November 2008, 05:29   #6
BHPian

Seems like the decision was really quick and there was hardly any input the gang could provide. “Almost Final” call seems to match my choice amongst the SUVs as well.

Are you going ahead with the purchase within this year or only at the change if the year. Not sure of the year change has a significant impact on resale value in Brunei.
Old 21st November 2008, 05:47   #7
BHPian

Nishant!, we think like twins! I zeroed in on X-Trail because CRV needs to be out of this comparison, because of its confusing design, no SUV image, more of a CUV. Also it has an underpowered 2lt SOHC. Where the competition like Xtrail is DOHC 2.5 or 2l DOHC for GV.

Xtrail has immense power of around 170ps where GV and CRV really lags in power with thier heavy weight. Also the engine QR25DE is a gem of an engine with smooth and quiet ride, although not peppy in CVT mode. But there is a manual mode for you to smoke around if you need!

When I test drove yesterday the Xtrail really impressed me than CRV and GV. CRV is costlier by 5k and still does not have 6 airbags or CVT. XTrail also has 4 wheel ABS/Disc Brakes, that is a must for me. New (new) GV comes with 4 Disc Brakes though.

Overall reviews about Xtrail's offroad ability also is nice when comparing GV and CRV.

Fortuner is out of the picture because of my 100km drive the other day in Innova. Innova owned by a Dr friend of mine (you know they maintain it well!) felt coming apart, not really confident inspiring at 120kmph! Fortuner Auto is costlier by 15k when comparing with XTrail which does not justify the extra money we pay.

Also I am planning to take delivery on the Jan 2nd to get some benefit out of the year of registeration.
Old 21st November 2008, 07:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

I had been in a XTrail which was being used in a quarry in the deserts of Saudi Arabia, for almost a year and half, and it still feels good to drive and fresh as a mint!

It is company owned vehicle and is driven by one of the senior management person, so the maintenance is perfect. But still, with proper maintenance, the vehicle is a killer!

This came as a surprise since I am a big time fan of LC and thought that XTrails are too soft for what are projected for!!!
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:22   #9
BHPian

How about RAV4

Guys, I know the RAV4 is not in India. But those who worked in abroad might have tried this vehicle. How does it compare with XTrail?

Although I am kind of inclined towards XTrail, I read some 5 recalls of XTRails comparing just one for RAV4. Thats a bit of worry. Just a bit.

RAV4 is made for not just Asia not like Fortuner and Innova. Thats why, I wanted to give it a thought.

any suggestions?
Old 23rd November 2008, 11:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

RAV4 is a bit smaller i think
In my opinion , a x trail would be better than a RAV4.
Old 23rd November 2008, 16:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

@Sgmuser,

Do not think that RAV4 can be compared with the XTrail. RAV4 is more of a city 'car' and is definitely smaller than the XTrail.

Would suggest you go not to look at RAV4 since your have already looked or thought about XTrail and the likes.
Old 6th April 2013, 10:34   #12
BHPian

Re: Need to decide between Fortuner D4D, X-Trail 2.5 Petrol or Honda CRV 2.0 Petrol

Couldn't find any other thread, so decided to revive this one. I am in a similar dilemma. I am in market for an automatic SUV and finding it tough to decide between CRV 2.4 AT and fortuner AT. Would appreciate your inputs to help me decide between the two.

Please note I am not considering any other SUV in this range or beyond for obvious reasons.

My requirements:
1. Since it will be self driven most of the time, which of the two has better drivability in city.
2. It should seat 5 adults in comfort.
3. Light on pocket to maintain, which of the two has better RS per km.
4. Will be keeping it for 5 years, so which of the two will have better resale value.

Note I currently own cruze AT and jazz.
Does anyone have actual figures for maintenance of old crv and fortuner?
Old 6th April 2013, 19:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need to decide between Fortuner D4D, X-Trail 2.5 Petrol or Honda CRV 2.0 Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveshsingh View Post
My requirements:
1. Since it will be self driven most of the time, which of the two has better drivability in city.
2. It should seat 5 adults in comfort.
3. Light on pocket to maintain, which of the two has better RS per km.
4. Will be keeping it for 5 years, so which of the two will have better resale value.
1. CRV. Smaller, more comfortable ride and luxurious.
2. Not sure about this since I haven't traveled much in the CRV and never in the middle seat of the Fortuner (am permanently in the driver's seat), but I would assume the edge goes to CRV by few mm. Though 3 normal people can fit into the Fortuner middle seat easily.
3. Fortuner
4. Fortuner

So that is 2 vs 2 or perhaps 2.5 vs 1.5.

You need to consider where you will drive (especially whether on rough roads or not), diesel vs. petrol and space vs comfort. If you don't drive much (and are ok with petrol), and will travel on good roads, then CRV is the right choice.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 08:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

1. CRV. Smaller, more comfortable ride and luxurious.
2. Not sure about this since I haven't traveled much in the CRV and never in the middle seat of the Fortuner (am permanently in the driver's seat), but I would assume the edge goes to CRV by few mm. Though 3 normal people can fit into the Fortuner middle seat easily.
3. Fortuner
4. Fortuner

So that is 2 vs 2 or perhaps 2.5 vs 1.5.

You need to consider where you will drive (especially whether on rough roads or not), diesel vs. petrol and space vs comfort. If you don't drive much (and are ok with petrol), and will travel on good roads, then CRV is the right choice.
I will be driving mostly on Gurgaon and Delhi roads, and gurgaon roads are bad, really bad.
I am actually confused between diesel and petrol, both of them have similar mileage. My heart says go for CRV and my mind says go for T-Fort. The only screw up if I go for CRV is what if they launch diesel model, which according to sales person is coming by year end or early next year.
Old 7th April 2013, 11:07   #15
Team-BHP Support

Do consider the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport! It is pretty good!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks