Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 14:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

dilemma- should i move from a Safari 3.0 to a 2.2

here is the deal guys: I love my safari LX 3.0- the engine is a big brawny brute. in contrast, though the 2.2 is more refined, it does not have linear power delivery and feels a bit wimpish to me (no offense 2.2 owners, just IMHO).

My truck has gone thru its inital niggles and is now pretty much settled (fingers crossed!). also, I did the running in very carefully and the engine sounds well set now.

but, of late, I have been bitten by this bug to go in for a 4x4- even though i wonder if i will ever exploit the capability of the 4x4 safari....but just in case

so, keeping the financials aside, do you think it makes sense to trade in the 3.0 for a 2.2?

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 18th December 2008 at 15:08.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Himanshu, I'd say it all depends on how soon & how frequently you want to go off-road. If its only to fulfil the occasional weekend needs that we see Hrishi do so admirably along with the Jeeps & the Gypsies, I'd say - "Hold on".

Use your 3 liter truck for another year or two & then switch over.

OTOH, if you are going to do some serious "off the beaten track" kind of mile munching on a continuous basis, then I'd say, go ahead & make the switch.

Just to share my own story - bought the 4x4 with great plans of the Spiti & Leh variety. Circumstances over the past year & a half have brought our vacation road trips to a complete halt. So haven't utilized the 4x4 to even one tenth of the potential or the plan.

So, decide the end use & the time frame & then proceed.

As you said yourself, the 3 liter is one hell of a vehiclecheers:
Old 18th December 2008, 15:04   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this may be a good time to hang on to that 3 litre monster of yours. atleast you will get the value out of it, over the next 2 years or so and then, you will certainly have better options available for the 4WD off the beaten track bug!
Old 18th December 2008, 15:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Suman. To answer your question, i dont think my serious off road excursions would be more than a couple of times in a year- and that too, i would have to specifically plan for those.

the 4x2 has fairly decent off roading capabilities for the one off foray off the beaten track, just that with 4x4 one ouwld have the added piece of mind.

But, i cant seem to decide whtether this limited planned need is worth the switch (any unplanned need to do some serious mudplugging is a diffent matter altogether ). of course, if the 3.0 4x4 was still available, i would make this switch. just that i am still not too convinced about the superiority of the 2.2 over the 3.0
Old 18th December 2008, 15:07   #5
BANNED

Based on what you've written so far, I'd say - keep the 3.0.

Want me to check if there's a 3.0 4x4 available at TML / dealer yard somewhere?

Note: thank you for starting this thread in the correct section. I see so many other threads with pictures of garages, chassis etc. in "4x4 and Off-Roading" - wonder how the moderators missed them. All those restoration threads should be in this section in my view.

Last edited by hrag : 18th December 2008 at 15:17.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the offer Hrishi, but a new 3.0 now would be a no go given that it would have been lying around for over a year and a half.

I am trying to check thru my contacts in TML if they can manufacture a 3.0 4x4 on order, but am not too optimistic.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
just that i am still not too convinced about the superiority of the 2.2 over the 3.0
Well, off the cuff, I think the 2.2 scores over the 3 in the following areas -
  • Pick up & bhp
  • Engine refinement - sounds smoother.
Apart from that - no idea. In my truck, some of the things I really love (compared to the 2.2) -
  • The Grille
  • The Spare Wheel Cover
  • The Endless 3rd gear
Old 18th December 2008, 15:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

suman, pick up and smoothness are a no brainer- agree on that count.

but the engine refinement- not really. The initial refinement of the 2.2 is great but cross 2000 rpm and there is an irritating krr krr sound which can be jarring.- this is akin to a corporate executive having a dark rough side too.

in contrast, the 3.0 is gruff and unrefined throughout its powerband - like a street hooligan thru and thru.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 18th December 2008 at 15:41.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Be a Samurai get a 4x4 Jeep.

Love Russel
Old 18th December 2008, 15:45   #10
Team-BHP Support

Why not pick up an old Mahindra 4X4 to fulfill your offroading desires. Selling the 3L and picking up a 2.2 will cost more than the mahindra. As you said your 4X4 trips will be planned.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Selling the 3.0 for a 2.2 does not make sense - I've been down that road on several occassions and have always turned back.

Picking up a Jeep or a Gypsy might be a better idea - it would cost you less than your loss in the exchange. Since you will only be going off the road occassionally, buy a Gypsy as the petrol wont hurt you, it is infinitely more reliable, and more importantly, has brakes.

PS: Buying a Gypsy has one additional advantage - you wont have people flagging you down on rural roads thinking you're running a shared taxi/minibus service.

Last edited by Steeroid : 18th December 2008 at 15:59.
Old 18th December 2008, 16:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

i would say make friends with fellow T-bhpian HARJEEV.

he's a nice guy and his nasty army spec mahindra is coming up real soon.

do i need to give more details,you should understand.

Injoy
Old 18th December 2008, 16:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

while buying a gypsy is a good idea, my problem is that I have parkng for only 1 car in my apartment. plus my wife will kill me if I buy a second car, since i have been postponing a promised holiday for over 9 months now

so, the dilemma continues....... :( but going by the replies, it seems that the cureent 3.0 boys share my opinion that while the 2.2 may be good, it is not sufficient to justify a change from a relatively new 3.0.

keep the views flowing guys, they will really help me making my mind up !!
Old 18th December 2008, 17:07   #14
BHPian

3.0 should just do fine...my experience in relatives' car was excellent on tough ravines of chambal ...i dont think that changing the car is a good option....

off topic-i personally love the front grille of 3.0 . the chrome finish looks awesome
Old 23rd December 2008, 15:06   #15
BANNED

There's a kind gentleman selling his 3.0 VX 4x4 done 40K - details available at Prerana OMR Bangalore. Why? He wants initial pick-up and doesn't care about anything else - he's buying a 2.2.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks