Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2009, 00:54   #1
BHPian

Tata Safari A S S in Pune

Friends,

I am planning to buy a Safari, need some critical inputs. I have read almost everything I could on TBHP in terms of ownership reports, common problems experienced etc.. that lead to some queries -

1. How is TASS in Pune? Any experiences shared will be of great help.
2. Is it a must for a new Safari to face EGR, Turbo hose, Streeing fluid hose, front suspension etc problems as I read, is there no buyer who has been spared, or it is a mixed bag of everything as is the case for majority of the cars?
3. How much does this car rattle, I prefer a silent drive.
4. How does it handle in Pune traffic,given the big turning radius.

Manny thanks in advance
Shyamtanu
Old 28th February 2009, 08:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

hi shyam,

1) i cant help you with the A.S.S as i get my car serviced at mumbai.
2) not all safaris face the above mentioned problems. every safari is unique! my safari has not faced the above problems. it had its own set of problems. yes, there was some front suspension squeaking over rough roads.
3) the car does rattle. mine rattles from the driver's door & middle row seat. also the boot door is prone to squeaking because of the weight of the spare tyre.
4) the safari's turning radius is big but not something you will not be able to manage if you get used to it.

the only concern with safaris are overall reliabilty. so if you have a little time & patience to take care of your car, go ahead with the safari.
Old 28th February 2009, 13:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
Friends,

I am planning to buy a Safari, need some critical inputs. I have read almost everything I could on TBHP in terms of ownership reports, common problems experienced etc.. that lead to some queries -

1. How is TASS in Pune? Any experiences shared will be of great help.

Pune is home of Tata motors to A.S.S must be good also

2. Is it a must for a new Safari to face EGR, Turbo hose, Streeing fluid hose, front suspension etc problems as I read, is there no buyer who has been spared, or it is a mixed bag of everything as is the case for majority of the cars?

drive it
however there are few users like adc who have travelled with Safari Lx on

3. How much does this car rattle, I prefer a silent drive.
4. How does it handle in Pune traffic,given the big turning radius.

Manny thanks in advance
Shyamtanu
Actually the Safari users on this forums are quite knowledgeable and finicky lot I have not seen any other CAR user group where people remember ECU codes and can discuss on and on over each characterstic, T

1. The EGR issue was not an issue see the latest update on that, I also participated in survey .. it's a funny story check the 2.2 VTT thread.
Few people noticed some krr krr sound which is climed to be EGR valve
opening and closing sound , I am till not unable to hear it.
Now compare this to any other normal Diesel vehicle owner do they ever bother if this one perticular note is X valve of Y valve.

2. The turbo hose slip problem is faced by exactly 3 people out of approx 100+ safari owners on this board. And what is this issue exactly the metal clamp around a rubber hose is not tightly in place so it slipped causing turbo loss. Solution while taking delivery ask mechnic to tighten the clamp of 1 red/orange color pipe in engine bay for peace of your mind.

For bull_twin this seemed to be a repeated problem may be some mechanic touched the pipe with greased hand or did not clean the surface before refitting first time , but later he found 600 ml of water and mud sediments in sedimentar of his fuel tank which might be giving issues and causing service lights to come on.

You can say most of us on this boards have Safari desire to dig technical details,study and internet access to post but our jobs don't leave much time to actually travel.

Perception do play a role.

On my way back home almost everyday I see some or other honda , Toyota and brands which are considered reliable with parking lights open an owner waiting for rescue van now if all these people become net savvy and discuss then would you get a positive picture ?
Similarly I used to see lots of Skoda's being towed on this road ( IRR) and had negative opinion until I found that there are only 2 Skoda Service and way to one of them leads through here.

However there are some people like adc who have traveled to places where no 4 wheeler has gone there before with 3 yrs old and wife and never posted any thing in technical section.

About Plastic quality and rattles yes this is a vehicle which uses cheap plastics and in beige interiors they look ultra cheap as get dirty easily. But barring innova interiors of any other MUV/SUV on this side of 12 L ( Xylo included) have nothing better to write about.

About Rattles, yes tail gate will develop and needs to be adjusted in first service. Also the doors are quite heavy so until all hinges are kept fully aligned you fill feel these kind of issues. With silence of 2.2 VTT engine the focus on rattles is increased.

BTW in any car most rattles are gifts of ICE installers and others who drop few packing elements from here and there while opening door pads.

For Safari Speaker size is 6 inch and JBL 608C is right component , If you fit
smaller or bigger then ICE guy had to do cutting / packing and in the process some thing or other will be left loose resulting in rattle and you will go to TASS not knowing fully what is rattling where.

I don't mean that everyone does like that but you need to find good installers.

Last edited by amitk26 : 28th February 2009 at 13:09.
Old 1st March 2009, 16:28   #4
BHPian

Thanks....

but could you please let me know what exactly you mean by 'realiability is an issue' .... is not the parts long lasting, and the vehicle could potentially break down anywhere? Also, by saying that it requires bit 'patience and time'... I always liked to spend at least 3 hrs in the weekends romancing with my car and bike... but it seems I need to be ready for troubles and then the time and patience to get them resolved each time they appear? I do not want to compare, but Alto has been a pleasure to own, simply because its hassle free maintenance, and no nonsense no thrill behaviour.

I am happy to spend the bucks, but I do not wish really to lose the ownership peace of mind in worry for niggling troubles, and I do care for each and every detail of my car, so trivial details I shall definitely notice.

Not sure if I could make my point? Thanks.
Old 1st March 2009, 18:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks....

but could you please let me know what exactly you mean by 'realiability is an issue' .... is not the parts long lasting, and the vehicle could potentially break down anywhere? Also, by saying that it requires bit 'patience and time'... I always liked to spend at least 3 hrs in the weekends romancing with my car and bike... but it seems I need to be ready for troubles and then the time and patience to get them resolved each time they appear? I do not want to compare, but Alto has been a pleasure to own, simply because its hassle free maintenance, and no nonsense no thrill behaviour.

I am happy to spend the bucks, but I do not wish really to lose the ownership peace of mind in worry for niggling troubles, and I do care for each and every detail of my car, so trivial details I shall definitely notice.

shyam, i know many safari fanatics may not agree to this, but safari is NOT a trouble free performer. i am being blunt in saying this.

you should expect minor quality issues with the vehicle, TATA offers that as standard with the safari. i have seen, experienced & read many safaris breaking down, but thats the case with every other vehicle, so targetting just the safari is not fair. but yes, the safari is comparitively more prone to trouble. there are also many owners who have never had any major trouble from their safari, but when compared to the number of issues in a innova or scorpio, the safari lags behind. but apart from the reliability issue & average engine, there is nothing much you can complain with the safari. thats the reason i said, if you have time & patience to look after your car, go ahead with the safari.

DO NOT expect 'maruti' like hassle free experience from the safari, that will not happen. if you do notice trivial details, the safari can make you unhappy, in the form of rattling, squeaking, hissing... if not breakdowns. frankly, if low maintainence is one of your priorities, the safari is not for you. go and have a look at the innova or scorpio.

disclaimer: this is my personal opinion, i do not intend a debate here PLS.
Old 1st March 2009, 23:19   #6
BHPian

Dear Raj...

Many thanks for the honest account, I could not possibly have asked for a more straightforward response. As long as personal opnions are concerned, to one his own. My priorities are -

1. Hassle free maintenance - I am happy to put some extra bucks to ensure this.
2. Realibility - My driving involves lots of highways, and last thing I want to be at the rightmost lane with a dead engine!
3. Comfort - That is why I consider Safari, I am sick of the Blood Pressure raiser autos, bicycles, bikes and all moving creatures in city roads to make you feel insane, and Alto being my earlier car, I used feel like sitting on the road at the mercy of every Tom, Dick and Harry to not cross my road and kindly let me move AHEAD. I just love the awe that Safari earns on road.
4. After SS - I always maintain my stuff in pick condition, and understand them, be it Sennheiser HD435, my 6.1 1000 rms AV receiver home theatre system or Logitech Z3 (you can call me a audiophile to some extent) or my Fiero/Alto. I always service them on time, sometime before time if I think they had had enough. But what I do not want is unqualified personnel screwing up the machine, or leaving the job half done. I had minor issues with Maruti when they set one headlamp facing the sky and other one normal
But since I keep a close eye myself, I ensure I get them rectified before I take delivery back. But unavailabilty of spares/fitting in faulty spares is something which is deterrent for sure.

I am really looking for some good stories from Safari owners who say they did not have much troubles in Pune with TASS and/or the product, I shall wait to see if they exist at all.

Now, since I am also tied with budget (can't go above 10 lakhs, and I think that is enough money to ask for at least a good quality vehicle, which would not trouble its owner).

I am interested in Linea as well, but lets see how that car performs, and again this is TASS, and I hear they are bit of a step mother towards Fiat cars?

I was eyeing Aveo before, but GM may go bankrupt any moment it seems :-(

Please do not mind me saying this, but Scorpio looks does not appeal me, may be because its pedigree of a jeep and popularity amongst politicians (white shirt, white trouser with cellphone in hand in a scorpio is most common view around elections/rallys), Innova ... not my cup of tea either, Safari's looks still floor me... not sure what to do?
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:19   #7
evo
BHPian

Slightly OT

@ raj_5004

Just noticed that you have all three Scorp, Innova, Safari!

Whats your pick from among the three for over all happiness as per your need?
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:00   #8
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
You can say most of us on this boards have Safari desire to dig technical details,study and internet access to post but our jobs don't leave much time to actually travel.

Perception do play a role.

On my way back home almost everyday I see some or other honda , Toyota and brands which are considered reliable with parking lights open an owner waiting for rescue van now if all these people become net savvy and discuss then would you get a positive picture ?

Similarly I used to see lots of Skoda's being towed on this road ( IRR) and had negative opinion until I found that there are only 2 Skoda Service and way to one of them leads through here.

Amit you really summmed up the situation quite well. I have been seeing this for the last 3 years out here, there are too many of those non-owners just getting a kick out of saying that all Safari is just going to stall and destruct. For some its a sure short and quick way to increase your post count, just go about and talk about "Safari - the useless" without even being close to owning one.

Today, though Monday, I dont know why but my work is very less, have much time, will have some nonsense rhyming and fun, will post my LTOR and reply back to all these perceptions - misconceptions, some to the point of deception.

Its about time to spit the truth out. From a real owner, a Safari LTOR all roughed and tested. Well its full frontal assault from now on

PS: The assault pic wrongly went out to TSK's post, please delete, if possible, from that post

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2009 at 18:10.
adc is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

I don't know about A.S.S. in Pune but considerring TATA has plant nearby there should be good dealership there

Don't worry and go head and buy Safari If you love the vehicle.

Many people buy Safari for Passion and to get somekind of travelling pleasure and they think others get scare of Safari and give way.

Most of the Safari sold have one or other niggle/problems. A.S.S not so clever to get rid of sisues at first hand.

If you are lucky you won't have any trouble else be ready to start visiting workshop on regular basis.

Many Innova/Scorpio buyers are Safari fans but they stay away from Safari shying about some horror stories of TATA's on going problems.

If you ask me yes I will buy Safari in future!

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 2nd March 2009 at 15:26.
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Slightly OT

@ raj_5004

Evo, allow me to answer that - the Scorpio MHawk is the only one that gives him overall happiness. The other two are "in the family" so to speak & are quoted whenever suitable or convenient.

(Raj, sorry to have answered on your behalf but please feel free to correct anything that is incorrect )
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure what exactly can be told here , but I own a Safari yes on
very bad roads tail gates rattle but let me tell you the fact Safari allows
me to drive at moderate comfort on these roads. Among the other 2 brands one induces motion sickness and other can scrape the body.

About mtc I do not get easily disturbed by an occasional squeek or rattle so after purchase visited workshop just twice , Once for clearing up few lingering doubts after reading alll these threads and another for first service , 3ed time would be 2nd service which is due at 15K or 1st year.

I mostly drive in city with occasional excursions in 200 to 500 KM radius till now for weekend outings.

Quote:
Thanks....

but could you please let me know what exactly you mean by 'realiability is an issue' .... is not the parts long lasting, and the vehicle could potentially break down anywhere? Also, by saying that it requires bit 'patience and time'... I always liked to spend at least 3 hrs in the weekends romancing with my car and bike... but it seems I need to be ready for troubles and then the time and patience to get them resolved each time they appear? I do not want to compare, but Alto has been a pleasure to own, simply because its hassle free maintenance, and no nonsense no thrill behavior.

Old 2nd March 2009, 21:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

hi shyam, my reply in bold:

Quote:
Dear Raj...

Many thanks for the honest account, I could not possibly have asked for a more straightforward response. As long as personal opnions are concerned, to one his own. My priorities are -

sadly honest opinions are not really appreciated in T-BHP, espcially when it comes to the safari.

1. Hassle free maintenance - I am happy to put some extra bucks to ensure this.

if you can put the extra bucks, you should go for the innova. but since you dont like it, i dont think you have any other choice.

2. Realibility - My driving involves lots of highways, and last thing I want to be at the rightmost lane with a dead engine!

safari is a perfect companion for highways. yes, i am a bit nervous to take it for long drives because of its moody nature but then it depends on how your safari is. there are some like adc & hrag on this forum who are all praises for the safari & some like tanveer (tsk) who i think will never recommend a safari to anybody.

3. Comfort - That is why I consider Safari, I am sick of the Blood Pressure raiser autos, bicycles, bikes and all moving creatures in city roads to make you feel insane, and Alto being my earlier car, I used feel like sitting on the road at the mercy of every Tom, Dick and Harry to not cross my road and kindly let me move AHEAD. I just love the awe that Safari earns on road.

true, safari's superior seats & cossetting ride give you the best comfort you can get in that price.

4. After SS - I always maintain my stuff in pick condition, and understand them, be it Sennheiser HD435, my 6.1 1000 rms AV receiver home theatre system or Logitech Z3 (you can call me a audiophile to some extent) or my Fiero/Alto. I always service them on time, sometime before time if I think they had had enough. But what I do not want is unqualified personnel screwing up the machine, or leaving the job half done. I had minor issues with Maruti when they set one headlamp facing the sky and other one normal
But since I keep a close eye myself, I ensure I get them rectified before I take delivery back. But unavailabilty of spares/fitting in faulty spares is something which is deterrent for sure.

some spares take time to come but TATA's spares & service is cheap.

I am really looking for some good stories from Safari owners who say they did not have much troubles in Pune with TASS and/or the product, I shall wait to see if they exist at all.

i am not the one!

Please do not mind me saying this, but Scorpio looks does not appeal me, may be because its pedigree of a jeep and popularity amongst politicians (white shirt, white trouser with cellphone in hand in a scorpio is most common view around elections/rallys), Innova ... not my cup of tea either, Safari's looks still floor me... not sure what to do?

i wont mind you saying that brother. unlike some owners here, i am open to criticism & dislike towards scorpios. i think, if you like the safari, you should go ahead with it. the only thing you have to keep in mind is - "have patience"!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Slightly OT

@ raj_5004

for me: scorpio mHawk
for parents: innova

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Evo, allow me to answer that - the Scorpio MHawk is the only one that gives him overall happiness. The other two are "in the family" so to speak & are quoted whenever suitable or convenient.

(Raj, sorry to have answered on your behalf but please feel free to correct anything that is incorrect )
no need to say sorry suman... because you are right that the scorpio is the one. but you are wrong in the second statement.

you can find a full ownership review & details about my innova as well in the ownership section. yes, i have never bothered to write about the safari because that is my cousin brother's car who stays with us & many months ago, somebody prohibited me from writing reviews about a vehicle on which i dont have "ownership rights", if you remember... the other reason is we are planning to sell the safari, so no point in creating a thread now.

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2009 at 18:11. Reason: Removing quoted content that has been deleted
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:12   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
there are some like adc & hrag on this forum who are all praises for the safari & some like tanveer (tsk) who i think will never recommend a safari to anybody.
"A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET"
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:02   #14
adc
Senior - BHPian

Post Deleted By the Team-BHP Support Staff : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family and any discriminating or derogatory comment is uncalled for.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2009 at 18:14.
adc is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you can find a full ownership review & details about my innova as well in the ownership section. yes, i have never bothered to write about the safari because that is my cousin brother's car who stays with us & many months ago, somebody prohibited me from writing reviews about a vehicle on which i dont have "ownership rights", if you remember... the other reason is we are planning to sell the safari, so no point in creating a thread now.
Before anybody points it out Raj its better you stop talking about Safari until you drive the vehicle regularly.

Disclaimer: Raj i am sorry this is just my personal opinion, i do not intend or debate here Please.

Quote:
there are some like adc & hrag on this forum who are all praises for the safari & some like tanveer (tsk) who i think will never recommend a safari to anybody.
For your information Tanveer is being recommending Abhi to go for the Safari 2.2 on another thread,

It is just a luck which let Tanveer down with his Safari keep watching for the better half of his life on The King, which he will start reclaiming in few days.

Last edited by gowda79 : 3rd March 2009 at 14:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks