Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Urgent! Need to buy a SUV in within 3 days - Scorpio SLE or Safari 2.2 LX?

Hi fellas!

I need an urgent decision to buy a SUV in Gauhati and I have to make a decision in the next 3 days! Until now, I have not TD any of it (and too busy to take one!), as my brother would be making the purchase there. He has choosen two options after striking out Xylo - Mahindar Scorpio SLE or Safari Dicor 2.2 LX?

Our requirements:
* Should be a sturdy car that will trek and defy all inhospitable roads in the NorthEast (Assam/Manipur/Mizoram)
* Should be diesel
* My parents would be the ones who would be using most of the time. (chauffeur driven), unless one of brother is in the town.
* Good Road presence
* Should be sturdy, less maintenance
* Good back seat ride and comfort
* budget within 8-9 lakhs

Considering the above requirements, could many of you please throw some more insights how Scorpio and Safari fare? We already have a black Scorpio (2.5 years old) and I am NOT inclined towards a Scorpio just because I don't want two same make in the garage! But with recent facelift Scorpio, my opinion can change. Also, we have narrowed down to these two options only! So, no alternative suggestion, please!
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:47   #2
BHPian

Did you evaluate Innova?
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Our requirements:
* Should be a sturdy car that will trek and defy all inhospitable roads in the NorthEast (Assam/Manipur/Mizoram)

- Scorpio's and Safari's are both sturdy. However both come with a new CRDI unit - which I think is not the best bet in the back ground of India. Moreover reliability is a key question mark right now for both engines. My vote here goes for the Innova even though you struck her out.

Scorp: Blech
Safari: Blech
Innova: Yaay!

* Should be diesel

Scorp: Yaay!
Safari: Yaay!

* My parents would be the ones who would be using most of the time. (chauffeur driven), unless one of brother is in the town.
- Innova is fantastically comfy. Scorpio's middle seat still bounces. Safari is very comfortable as well - but not as much as the Innova.

Scorpio: Blech
Innova: Yaay! Yaay!

* Good Road presence
Safari scores here big time. Scorpio comes second. Innova the last. We are talking butch - not being soccer mom car.

Scorpio: Yaay!
Safari: Yaay! Yaay!
Innova: Blech

* Should be sturdy, less maintenance

I think Safari is very poor in being less maintenance going by the opinions here and on the web in the general. Scorpio seems more hardy. Innova is THE best.

Scorpio: Yaay!

* Good back seat ride and comfort

No questions asked. You know, soccer moms are the best mom's. They are always around to support their kids - always reliable. And if you're feeling down you can always jump into their arms and they instantly make you happy. No prizes for guessing who wins.

Scorpio: Blech!

Jeez. Soccer mom's are expensive to get into your hand. Takes many years of searching for that perfect mom for you kid. The Scorpio is the most value for money right now. The cheaper Innova without the bells and whistles is also pretty okay since its only your dad and mom in it. The Safari is somewhere in the middle and their current pricing structure should really wallop their behinds.

Scorpio: Yaay! Yaay!

So lets tally the Yaay's and Blech's now, shall we?

Scorpio: Yaay yaay's (1) Yaay's (3) Blech (3)
Safari: Yaay yaay's (1) Yaay's (3) Blech (3)
Innova:Yaay yaay's (3) Yaay's (3) Blech (1)

Clearly you can see who the winner is. And the Scorpio and the Safari are pretty much tied in different attributes. Go ask your dad and mom to sit in the middle seat of every car you TD and ask them for feedback because it is they who are going to enjoy the cars.
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Innova, then Scorpio. Because peace of mind cannot be equated with yaays.

/ducks for cover and drops dead.
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:31   #5
BHPian

Innova is definitely the way to go.

Proven, superior build quality, reliability & good space males it a decent deal.

However, you can also try a Xylo, a new car, with good initial reports.
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Innova, then Scorpio. Because peace of mind cannot be equated with yaays.

/ducks for cover and drops dead.
In my world, peace of mind is a definite Yaay. Its a Yippee to boot.

/nudges phamilyman's fake dead body with his foot
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:36   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
iTNerd : * Good back seat ride and comfort
Considering :
1. your stated requirements, and
2. 4x4 is not required (not stated as a requirement)
3. You already have a SUV ( a Scorp)

Suggestion is : buy an Innova:
1. Comfort
2. Presence. May not be the Safari kind, but it will stand out.
3, Reliability
4. Diesel

Cost would exceed the 9L mark, though.

Last edited by condor : 3rd April 2009 at 11:37.
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Option 1) Buy a Base Innova version, ask for bucket seats, get it done up by AGM ( see their Emperio concept. ). You wont feel its a soccer mom car anymore.

Option 2) Buy a Safari 2.2 VTT. All said and done, its supremely comfy, and can take abuse. Treat it well, and it will do its job.

Option 3) Buy a Bolero Storm. The back seat may not be supremely comfy, but its not the top selling UV in india just like that.

Option 4) Buy a Qualis and deck it up! Its not called the 'Tamaraw' or 'goat' for nothing.

Any car can break down if abused badly. Drive all the options, and see what's acceptable for your parents.

cheers!
Srini
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I would not recommend 4x4 in any case if driver and your parents are using it. Unless the majority of roads they travel requires 4x4.

They are better off with sturdy and safe vehicle. AFAIK Innova is the way to go.
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:57   #10
BHPian

i think you should test drive the new scorpio once. i did and it changed my perception towards the vehicle. my review of the new scorpio is here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ity-use-3.html

innova is no doubt a great vehicle. you will not regret buying it.
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thank you guys for your feedback! I forgot to mention why I skipped out on Innova..We don't have a Toyota dealer in most of the NE states (especially Manipur, where my home town is!) due to which servicing/after sales would be a problem..that's why I just asked between the new Scorpio and Safari 4X2 LX.. ( wished the places here are as developed as other other parts of India :( )

Last edited by iTNerd : 3rd April 2009 at 12:00.
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:11   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for the Scorpio. Lesser of the two evils if reliability and overall maintenance costs are your primary concern.
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

ummm.....xylo? thought of that one?
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
ummm.....xylo? thought of that one?
Your answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
... He has choosen two options after striking out Xylo - Mahindar Scorpio SLE or Safari Dicor 2.2 LX?...
iTNerd,

Safari has those initial niggles that might see it visiting quite a number of times to the service center, initially. Go for it if this is not a concern, since the comfort level is high.

Scorpio is with almost no niggles and a good SUV. But, since the middle seat is the priority, that too in bad roads, I will say that they take a ride first.

Ask your parents to be passengers in both of the candidates and ask their comfort before deciding. No better test.
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Xylo is indeed a very good suggestion. Safari LX doesnt comes with roof mounted A/C and hence the A/C performance at the back seats would be in-adequate. Its a hell of a task to cool huge safari interiors with such big green house with just the front vents. The middle vents b/w the front seats are almost useless at the back.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks