Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2009, 12:42   #16
BHPian

I'm a big believer in the jeeps, and living with them is definitely an uplifting experience. However, I myself had to leave aside purchasing a Gypsy/Jeep as a primary vehicle. Simply put, I could not justify the buying, running expenses as a primary vehicle. When I manage to justify the cost, I will get one for sure. Until then, my Bolero will be my daily drive. Only the truly hardcore can drive a non-PS, non-AC jeep day in and day out, and still retain the enthusiasm to drive OTR and the high miles on weekends. Unfortunately, I must admit, I am not as hardcore as I would have thought. In the end, its your decision to make. I wish you get your jeep and love living with it.

Cheers,
Old 17th August 2009, 13:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
But, I will not be using the Jeep as a commuting vehicle. It will be only for weekend drives and I am planning to get it done up in the long run. But I believe that buying a Jeep as one's first car is not the best idea. But seriously, since I will be driving only weekends and all, is it hard to learn real driving with this vehicle.
No commute=excellent choice!
Get the Jeep, go as high as 1-1.75 lakhs, depending on the condition, and get some of our TBHP Jeep Guru's to tag along to verify the condition of the vehicle. A Jeep as a first car is not for everybody, but you Sir, are a Bulleteer. For you, it will be a natural progression, trust a fellow Bulleteer!
As far as learning 'real' driving, if your vision, arms and legs are all in proper working condition, then you will have no trouble. Only the mind needs to adjust to the Jeep's nature. And remember to switch off the Jeep-instincts when you get into a regular vehicle! The major differences you will notice will be smoothness of gear-shifts, quicker response of throttle and different (better?) handling in hatches than your Jeep. Of course, in the end, the Jeep will put a bigger smile on your face, that is indisputable. Go for it Sir, you are perfectly placed to pull this off!

Cheers,
Old 18th August 2009, 13:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

There are so many Jeep gurus here that my post could be wrong, but why don't you look at Jeps from an Army Auction? One of my neighbours picked up one (CJ, not MM540/550 series) for some attrociously low price like Rs 12,000/-(?) or so. If the price he mentions is true, then one could easily spend 50-60 k on restoring / repairing it.

The advantage I see with Army jeeps is that while they might be abused, atleast the Army follows the service schedule properly. On the other hand, one might argue that if they're in good condition, why are they being auctioned at all?
Old 19th August 2009, 23:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Buying a 95 model jeep will give you only as much problems as buying a 95 model 800, nothing extra. My experience is that after buying a good condition jeep you will need at least 50 to 80K more, and if the condition is not good then between 1 to 1.5 L. There are many vareities of Jeeps, have a look at 4x4 & Off-Roading - Team-BHP section for more information.
Old 22nd March 2013, 17:03   #20
BHPian

Re: Looking to invest in a Mahindra Jeep

Hello BHPians,

Just starting out new in this wonderful community. Don't know whether it is the right thread to query regarding buying my first Jeep? Mods kindly change, if its not in the correct thread. help me out!!!
My requirements:1) Mahindra CL 550 MDi (4X4 short chassis)- I have been in love with it ever since I saw it for the first time.
2) I am based in Cochin and not always into super-extreme off-roading.
3)Wants my jeep to be used as a family vehicle as well at times.
4) Worried about BSIII compliance for MDi engines, wondering whether it will affect the road worthiness (I don't know much about it) as I am planning to register and use it here in Cochin and Idukki until for ever.
5) Found one for sale in Thodupuzha-Specs: 1994 short chassis model, engine & mechanical work reconditioned, 4X4, asking price 2.5 lakhs which is negotiable-Is it too much?

Please help me.

Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Its a complete lifestyle, getting yourself a JEEP. MAHINDRA is on a rise now and you could go for your dream. The JEEP is very well supported, especially in Kerala, parts etc. should not be a problem. In Kerala its equivalent to owning your own Horse if not Elephant if you can see where I am coming from
Old 29th August 2013, 22:41   #22
BANNED

Hi All,

I am planning to get myself a MM540/550 and it will be my 2nd car after swift.

But I plan to use it as a daily drive and want it with Power Steering & Ac and also would like to get into mild off-roading or learn off-roading

Now there are lots of jeeps available in the market but some how i feel they are quoting too much price (guess the jeep culture is catching up) for a 1997-2000 models. And there are no jeeps available after 2001 models or so.

I cant afford a Thar MDI so there is no choice but to go for MM 540/550,my queries are

Should i go for 550 or 540 ? I believe 550 has booster/disc brakes and drop pedals

Can i buy 540 and fit drop pedals and disc brakes and how much it will cost ?

What are the engine options in 550/540? I hear 2100 CC & 2500 CC ect which is a better engine?

Can i buy a 4x2 and convert it into 4x4?
What is the cost of fitting power steering ? which steering (bolero / scorpio)?

Guess i have too many question ..sorry and thank you !!
Old 30th August 2013, 16:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi All,

Should i go for 550 or 540 ? I believe 550 has booster/disc brakes and drop pedals

Can i buy 540 and fit drop pedals and disc brakes and how much it will cost ?

What are the engine options in 550/540? I hear 2100 CC & 2500 CC ect which is a better engine?

Can i buy a 4x2 and convert it into 4x4?
What is the cost of fitting power steering ? which steering (bolero / scorpio)?

Guess i have too many question ..sorry and thank you !!
All your questions are answered on various threads in our ‘4x4 vehicle’ & ‘4x4 technical’ section.
There are separate threads on engines and separate threads on buying & building used jeeps.
(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
Old 30th August 2013, 21:27   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
All your questions are answered on various threads in our ‘4x4 vehicle’ & ‘4x4 technical’ section.
There are separate threads on engines and separate threads on buying & building used jeeps.
(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
Hi
Thanks for the links,but i have aleady gone thru them.

What i need is advise from jeep experts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks