Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2009, 14:27   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
If there is a lot of highway and city driving and almost nil rural roads go for captiva, if there is a lot of rural roads then the Pajero SFX makes some sense.
why so? what happens if someone uses capativa in broken rural village roads?is there any problem with its ground clearance? and what about scorpio in the same condition?
Old 18th September 2009, 14:43   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

Care to elaborate?
This has been discussed to death in OTR threads.
To keep it brief ;
  • The 5 door LWB Pajero is a good SUV.
  • The 3 door SWB Pajero is a good Off-roader.
The big difference between the term Sports Ute, and Off-roader stems for the final purpose they were deisgned for. The LWB is to ferry folks over country and broken roads over long distances with gear. The SWB is to try and crawl your way up the rocks on the way to the Hill top in minimalistic comfort and limited space (a compromise of the SWB design).
Old 18th September 2009, 14:45   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
This has been discussed to death in OTR threads.
To keep it brief ;
  • The 5 door LWB Pajero is a good SUV.
  • The 3 door SWB Pajero is a good Off-roader.
The big difference between the term Sports Ute, and Off-roader stems for the final purpose they were deisgned for. The LWB is to ferry folks over country and broken roads over long distances with gear. The SWB is to try and crawl your way up the rocks on the way to the Hill top in minimalistic comfort and limited space (a compromise of the SWB design).
Yes precisely. You cannot dismiss it off as a complete non off roader.
Old 18th September 2009, 15:05   #19
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Mr. Sha,

I just went through the links you posted. It seems that you are highly biased against the Pajero and in favour of your "new" gypsy.

Most of the stuck ups in the Pajero were due to driver error. The best of the best offroaders get stuck in slush and that doesn't make them poor offroaders.

I've been a very enthusiatic 4x4er ten odd years ago and trust me if going by your definitions, a SUV that gets stuck in slush is not a good offroader, then you can scrap gypsies, classics, gurkhas, mahindra mm's, willy's, landrovers, and basically all SUVs from the list.

Getting stuck is fun also.

BTW, i was seeing your snaps and just want to point out that it is not a good idea for 4 odd people to stand behind in the gypsy while tackling terrain. I'm not sure if that was your gypsy or not, but if yours then take this advice.

And as you say general opinion, i think you and one more person thought so. So do not generalize.
First of all I have never mentioned "My" gypsy is better than pajero, my views are on live experience what I have seen in many OTR's.Getting stuck is fun I agree but you do not get stuck every obstacles were every vehicles has crossed. Even I was great fan of pajero but after seeing all this OTR's my view on Pajero has gone down. About Gypsy Photos what you have mentioned it's not mine. We do follow basic safety procedure when doing offroading but this was an event organized by Club.
Its good only for forest trail track, not moderate to extreme offroading.
@Torque-ative has mentioned clearly about 5-door pajero, If it's SWB pajero It's a good offroader. but topic is here 5-door pajero LWB.
Old 18th September 2009, 16:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Very well summarized Naveen. And would you agree that the Gypsy also falls into the category of "minimalistic comfort and limited space"?

If so, does it really make sense bashing the Pajero LWB vis a vis the Gypsy in a thread titled "Captiva vs Pajero"?
Old 19th September 2009, 14:19   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For purely onroad running, the Captiva is better than the Pajero. Make sure to test both, the Captiva's price has just been slashed by 2 lakh rupees!

Quote:
Most of the stuck ups in the Pajero were due to driver error. The best of the best offroaders get stuck in slush and that doesn't make them poor offroaders.
Tejas, we'd taken a Pajero alongwith us only 3 sundays back for an OTR. The weight bogged it down frequently, and the long wheel base saw it ending up as a see saw in places that we dismissed in 2WD. The Pajero is at home only in sand (and the like) and long slippery climbs, where it has distinct advantages. Overall, an above average offroader (in the strictest sense of the term).
Old 20th September 2009, 20:49   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For purely onroad running, the Captiva is better than the Pajero. Make sure to test both, the Captiva's price has just been slashed by 2 lakh rupees!

Tejas, we'd taken a Pajero alongwith us only 3 sundays back for an OTR. The weight bogged it down frequently, and the long wheel base saw it ending up as a see saw in places that we dismissed in 2WD. The Pajero is at home only in sand (and the like) and long slippery climbs, where it has distinct advantages. Overall, an above average offroader (in the strictest sense of the term).
wow thanks for all the very useful input everyone and GTO I think you said it. Pajero is at home only in sand ! The Paris Dakkar rally comes to mind.
MITSUBISHI MOTORS / PAJERO - KING OF DESERT
Old 21st September 2009, 15:29   #23
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
why so? what happens if someone uses capativa in broken rural village roads?is there any problem with its ground clearance? and what about scorpio in the same condition?
A body on ladder frame structure is inherently stronger in off road / rough conditions compared to a monocoque structure.

Yep even the scorpio would fare better than the captiva on village roads.

Ground clearance of pajero is also higher than that of the captiva.

The Captiva will absorbe the shocks of even a rough road well, compared to a pajero and a scorpio but that would be at the cost of life of its suspension components - and these are expensive.

If you are planned for serious bits of rough village roads, then fortuner, endeavour, Safari would all be better options. And they are all decent on the highway as well.
Old 14th April 2010, 12:47   #24
BHPian

Pajero or Captiva?

Hi folks,

I would like to replace my innova. I have a budget of about 15 lacs. Currently I'm considerng a used Pajero or used Captiva. My innova very rarely sees third row seating, and then for very short periods. What are your suggestions? I appreciate your feedback. Also how would you go about trying to find a good used car?

Cheers
imp!
Old 14th April 2010, 15:40   #25
BHPian

If you are going to drive mainly in city or highways then pick the Cap. It is a newer vehicle and more comfortable too with better road dynamics. However, if you plan to undertake offroading at regular intervals then the Cap is no match for the Pajero. Both vehicles have their own forte and whichever fulfills your prerogative would be the best buy.
Old 14th April 2010, 16:31   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I agree with lifeonwheels, go for the Pajero only if you will be going off-road a lot. If most of your driving is on road, captiva is a far more modern vehicle.
Old 14th April 2010, 16:54   #27
Team-BHP Support

Even Pajero is not that ideal for the kind of offroading done around Bangalore. Just go with Captiva LTZ which is all-wheel drive.
Old 14th April 2010, 16:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Captiva, most definitely. Good looker, great interiors, very powerful and at the same time not too expensive drinking habits or maintenance. You will really love the car.
Old 14th April 2010, 18:14   #29
BHPian

Hi guys,

So the general consensus seems to be that the Captiva is a better car for city and highway driving. We don't really do any off-roading (unless you take Bangalore roads into consideration !) so this may seem to fit the bill better.
The Captiva LTZ, which is 4 wheel drive is available only in At isn't it? I think my dad would prefer manual transmission. Is there any difference between these two cars, apart from the 4wd and AT?
I have heard the gear-box of the MT isn't good. Is this the case? Is there a face-lift of the Captiva expected in the near future? If so, is it going to be a cosmetic lift or will there be engine changes as well?

Thanks
imp!
Old 14th April 2010, 18:27   #30
Team-BHP Support

On powerful cars, you won't feel any power loss due to AT. And we are talking 5-speed AT here, which is generally a delight to drive.

Take a test drive on the AT before you discard the idea.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks