Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 01:12   #1
BHPian

Help me gift a Mahindra Classic 4x4 to my kid bro

Hi All,

Let me get straight to the point.

I want to gift a sexy Mahindra Classic 4x4 to my youngest bro- Jack.

The Classic is the love of Jack, and i would like to see that satisfied look on his face! More precious than any money i spend.

And i am not too much of a jeep guy, so don't understand much of it.

Now as an elder bro, my concerns:

a. Safety
an open jeep like that can cause serious injury. and i want to minimize even a 1% chance of this happening to him.

b. Power steerin (don't want him to strain too much)

c. Air conditioning (altho he prefers driving without ac, i would like to have that as an option installed, for his comfort when he feels the need for it)

My budget is 2lacs approx. (stretchable)

From the many conversations that he has had, i gather that he likes HIS Classic as
: color: Black, second option red
: tyres: chunky, alloys
: lights: light up the city kinds, on the bull bar or high up overhead.
: Music: Boom!

While he might overlook the safety issues, i would like to be a little conservative on that front.

His birthday is coming up in August. I don't mind giving him his gift in advance if something really exciting comes along.

Now, I have had a look a 2000 model at a dealer, but he is asking for 3lacs. Plus i don't know if i can trust the dealer....

So any and all advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.

I am extremely interested in this and am willing to travel to any corner of the world to get him the perfect piece.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 10th April 2010, 08:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Straight Answer:

For 2L or even 2.5L, you will NOT be able to get a CLASSIC which will be bare-bone. Forget about the list you have mentioned.
Old 10th April 2010, 09:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

Richard,

A real Mahindra Classic is very hard to come by, but there are more Classic impostors out there than the original. A CJ340 or even a CJ3B can be easily modified to look like a Classic.

Your budget is very small, these days any SWB in drivable state will command above 2L. The chunky tyres, alloys wheels, huge lights, AC and initial repair work will easily cross 1L. Think about it.
Old 10th April 2010, 09:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

At 2 Lakhs, you can buy an older CJ340 in drivable shape and invest another 1 lakh for the mods you need. Classics will be next to impossible to find even at a bigger budget.
Old 10th April 2010, 11:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Straight Answer:

For 2L or even 2.5L, you will NOT be able to get a CLASSIC which will be bare-bone. Forget about the list you have mentioned.
Thanks Khan Sultan, So what should i consider upgrading the budget to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Richard,

A real Mahindra Classic is very hard to come by, but there are more Classic impostors out there than the original. A CJ340 or even a CJ3B can be easily modified to look like a Classic.

Your budget is very small, these days any SWB in drivable state will command above 2L. The chunky tyres, alloys wheels, huge lights, AC and initial repair work will easily cross 1L. Think about it.
Thanks Samurai, Budget is stretchable. The very reason I am here, looking for advise is to get this kind of inputs :-) Where do i start? I have seen one in here: Team-BHP Classifieds - 1997 Mahindra Classic (CL500), Four Wheel Drive (4X4) - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
At 2 Lakhs, you can buy an older CJ340 in drivable shape and invest another 1 lakh for the mods you need. Classics will be next to impossible to find even at a bigger budget.
Thanks addict, Open to the suggestion. Only, I don't know what the difference is between CJ340 & classic? is it a better option?
Old 10th April 2010, 13:01   #6
BHPian

:-(

[quote=SoulGarage;1831064]Thanks Khan Sultan, So what should i consider upgrading the budget to?

Thanks Samurai, Budget is stretchable. The very reason I am here, looking for advise is to get this kind of inputs :-) Where do i start? I have seen one in here: Team-BHP Classifieds - 1997 Mahindra Classic (CL500), Four Wheel Drive (4X4) - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds"

The classic mentioned in the ad is sold. :-( Aadesh had put up the as, i spoke to him today. He says he also deals in Classic & will tell me when he gets the next piece.
Old 10th April 2010, 15:29   #7
BHPian

if i m not wrong what you are looking for is something funky for your bro. I would suggest in your budget you can get a decent modified jeep in delhi´s MAYAPURI. Though I would advise you to be carefull while while dealing with these guys. The best option would be that if you are in delhi go to Mayapuri and speak with few people who are making these kinds of jeeps they can even custom build a jeep as per your requirement(you have lot of time till august) they even provide you with possibility of choosing an engine of your choice. here are few pics which i clicked when i was there, some of them are very funky but as said you can reduce or add anything you wish - anything and everything related to jeeps is available in this market. prices start from 1.5L - 3.0L power steering/seat belts/ bucket seats are normally standard in this price.
Attached Thumbnails
Help me gift a Mahindra Classic 4x4 to my kid bro-02012010.jpg  

Help me gift a Mahindra Classic 4x4 to my kid bro-02012010001.jpg  

Old 10th April 2010, 16:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi SoulGarage,
Wish we all had elder brothers like you
Anyways, coming to the topic, How old is Jack?
Old 12th April 2010, 17:07   #9
BANNED

Get a Gypsy Instead.
Old 12th April 2010, 17:11   #10
KMT
BHPian

Boss
I had a second hand CJ SWB in college for a while.
The repairs and leaks (in Madras) quickly overcame the thrill of owning a Jeep.
The mechanic became my best friend and I used to spend every paisa of my pocket money on the Jeep.
Go for a Gypsy instead otherwise he will be cursing you in 2 months (unless you bankroll the expensive and irritating maintenance of a used diesel jeep).
Cheers
Old 12th April 2010, 22:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasthebiker View Post
if i m not wrong what you are looking for is something funky for your bro. I would suggest in your budget you can get a decent modified jeep in delhi´s MAYAPURI. Though I would advise you to be carefull while while dealing with these guys.
You got it right! Funky, 'Classic' look alike should also be fine, Jack doesn't seem to decipher the difference! Its blessing in disguise! Pun intended!

Like the idea of Mayapuri, have a friend in Delhi will ask him to do the primary run through.

I have heard Indore too is a great mod market for Jeeps. Anyone has any idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Hi SoulGarage,
Wish we all had elder brothers like you
Anyways, coming to the topic, How old is Jack?
27! And yeah he is still a kid for me! I'm 35. Still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Get a Gypsy Instead.
Gypsy is something that doesn't knock his socks off. You should hear him talking about the "classic" thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Boss
I had a second hand CJ SWB in college for a while.
The repairs and leaks (in Madras) quickly overcame the thrill of owning a Jeep.
The mechanic became my best friend and I used to spend every paisa of my pocket money on the Jeep.
Go for a Gypsy instead otherwise he will be cursing you in 2 months (unless you bankroll the expensive and irritating maintenance of a used diesel jeep).
Cheers
I am aware of this KMT, GTO's threads have given enough idea how it will run through the wallet ( more than the purchase price, right GTO?)

And still, this is something I am willing to go ahead with. Just to see that 'look' on his face and the big grin he will have when he beholds 'his' jeep!

Even if he decides to sell it off/dump it, i will be more than happy to just look him light up at the sight of his jeep.

And so, I had turned to GTO for help, who suggested I put this up on public boards.

So there!
Old 13th April 2010, 11:46   #12
BHPian

I have heard Indore too is a great mod market for Jeeps. Anyone has any idea?

I have been to Bhopal and Indore both- they are more expensive than Delhi. The reason being that they get the spares and disposal jeeps from delhi only. Where as one should admit to the fact that the quality of workmanship is the best in Bhopal.
Old 13th April 2010, 19:16   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Aw shucks, I wish all of us had an elder brother like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulGarage View Post
Let me get straight to the point.
I'll get straight to the point too : 2 lakhs in unrealistic for a good Classic. You can consider Mayapuri, but I consider their quality of worksmanship as JUNK (all bling, no substance).

2 lakh rupees is chump change for a Classic today. Your budget should be more like 2.5 lakhs for the Jeep, and another 50,000 - 1,00,000 to bring her to top shape. Remember, at the end of the day, you are buying a 13 year old Jeep that was built poorly, ages real quick, and loves to flirt with rust. Of course, if you can get your hands on a Classic that needs restoration (or a CJ340) cheap (this side of 1.5 lakhs), pick it up without a second thought. Jeeps are easy to fix. Anything that's gone wrong can be set right.

Quote:
an open jeep like that can cause serious injury. and i want to minimize even a 1% chance of this happening to him.
Within the city, if he hits another car, it's the other car that'll be finished. The Classic won't even have a dent to show for it. Don't allow him out on the highway though. She can be quite a handful.

Quote:
b. Power steerin (don't want him to strain too much)
I don't recommend you to go down that alley.

Quote:
c. Air conditioning (altho he prefers driving without ac, i would like to have that as an option installed, for his comfort when he feels the need for it)
Easy for 25,000 rupees.

Quote:
Now, I have had a look a 2000 model at a dealer, but he is asking for 3lacs. Plus i don't know if i can trust the dealer....
Go check it out. I doubt its a 2000 year, but if its a Classic, this could be your only chance to buy one in running condition. Let the dealer ask for whatever price, you quote what you think is reasonable.

Good thing that his birthday is in August. You will need to screen the market for atleast 4 - 6 months before you get your hands on one. BHPian Tejas recently picked a super-clean (and I mean CLEAN) red Classic for 2.25 lakhs. He was plain lucky...it's a rare deal.

Good luck hunting. I do hope you find a Classic for your brother. If you need a second opinion on any potentials, put the pics up here.
Old 16th April 2010, 00:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasthebiker View Post
I have been to Bhopal and Indore both- they are more expensive than Delhi. The reason being that they get the spares and disposal jeeps from delhi only. Where as one should admit to the fact that the quality of workmanship is the best in Bhopal.
Bhopal is best in India? If that's the case i don't mind camping there for sometime to scout and get the best possible deal and drive it home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Aw shucks, I wish all of us had an elder brother like you

One needs a younger bro like Jack with a heart of Gold, to bring out this 'spend-not-important' feeling. Frankly, 2-4 lacs, personally I'd prefer the safety & comfort of a car at that price and brand new to boot!

I'll get straight to the point too : 2 lakhs in unrealistic for a good Classic. You can consider Mayapuri, but I consider their quality of worksmanship as JUNK (all bling, no substance).

Agree

2 lakh rupees is chump change for a Classic today. Your budget should be more like 2.5 lakhs for the Jeep, and another 50,000 - 1,00,000 to bring her to top shape. Remember, at the end of the day, you are buying a 13 year old Jeep that was built poorly, ages real quick, and loves to flirt with rust. Of course, if you can get your hands on a Classic that needs restoration (or a CJ340) cheap (this side of 1.5 lakhs), pick it up without a second thought. Jeeps are easy to fix. Anything that's gone wrong can be set right.

Budget Upgraded & stretched upto 4 Lacs, based on the inputs received here! 100% jump!

Within the city, if he hits another car, it's the other car that'll be finished. The Classic won't even have a dent to show for it. Don't allow him out on the highway though. She can be quite a handful.

I'll educate him on the highway. Plus i think jeeps don't go beyond 80kmph, or max 100?

I don't recommend you to go down that alley.

Easy for 25,000 rupees.

Go check it out. I doubt its a 2000 year, but if its a Classic, this could be your only chance to buy one in running condition. Let the dealer ask for whatever price, you quote what you think is reasonable.

Thats the point, I don't know if it is the real thing or some cheap stunt of a lookalike. The seats were beige! Innova kinds. I didn't investigate further, it was in the evening, not good light. Will go back and have a look at it in daytime. And if possible upload the pics.

Good thing that his birthday is in August. You will need to screen the market for atleast 4 - 6 months before you get your hands on one. BHPian Tejas recently picked a super-clean (and I mean CLEAN) red Classic for 2.25 lakhs. He was plain lucky...it's a rare deal.

Good luck hunting. I do hope you find a Classic for your brother. If you need a second opinion on any potentials, put the pics up here.
I did read Tejas' experience, real lucky! Hope a fellow TBHPians luck rubs off on me too! Inshallah!!
Old 16th April 2010, 00:33   #15
BHPian

I just came across, this willys, its in Thane:

Team-BHP Classifieds - 1964 LHD Willys Jeep - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Do you guys think,
a. Its worth the money
b. Can i BLING it on?
c. add AC to it?
d. Convert it from LHD to RHD?

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th April 2010 at 15:01. Reason: Please do not post in all bold text. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks