Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2010, 16:24   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Of course I was on the lookout of Montero but OL doesn't seem to be too bad a choice, given the fact that we (me and wifey) are managing with just one car since last couple of months - can be a pain once in a while..
Not bad a choice? The Outlander is an EXCELLENT urban SUV. Both, the Montero & Outlander, are a rare breed. You should be happy to find either at a great price

The only two downsides vis a vis the Montero are:

a) Lack of diesel. Petrol FE is a mere 6 - 7 kpl
b) No offroad potential

In other areas, its actually better than the Montero. Be it ease of driving, refinement, handling and modernity. The Montero is based on a mid-90s SUV, the Outlander is rather fresh.

Good thinking in the pre-paid-inspection. Hope they send a clean chit and we see an ownership report soon enough. Congratulations well in advance!
Old 28th May 2010, 16:35   #17
BHPian

Sorry for using this thread but how is the seating comfort in Montero. Both the middle and last row say as compared to Endy or Fortuner or Innova.

Somehow I really like the butch yet clean looks and go anywhere capability of Montero and would like to consider a used one option if seating comfort part is known. In my city cannot find one in the showroom let alone finding a used one.
Old 28th May 2010, 17:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not bad a choice? The Outlander is an EXCELLENT urban SUV. Both, the Montero & Outlander, are a rare breed. You should be happy to find either at a great price
Somewhat similar was my thought process and therefore, settled for Outlander though had been searching for Montero for a couple of months now.
Quote:
The only two downsides vis a vis the Montero are:

a) Lack of diesel. Petrol FE is a mere 6 - 7 kpl
b) No offroad potential
Interest on close to 10L that I saved by settling for OL better take care of the low milage
My primary need is that of a comfortable and safe highway cruiser which could also take me through the hilly terrains of Shimla or treacherous drive of Leh once in a while. I guess, OL fits the bill here.

Quote:
In other areas, its actually better than the Montero. Be it ease of driving, refinement, handling and modernity. The Montero is based on a mid-90s SUV, the Outlander is rather fresh.
Of course its a comparison of apples with oranges, nonetheless, tranny bit apart, I found OL's drive exactly the same as adjectives you have used.

Quote:
Good thinking in the pre-paid-inspection. Hope they send a clean chit and we see an ownership report soon enough. Congratulations well in advance!
Thanks for the wishes!
My hunt of Montero made me earn a lot of friends - here on this forum, their friends, dealers and not to mention HM staff and folks at HM service station
So much so that I wasn't charged even a single penny for the inspection despite technician spending about couple of hours on it.
Yes, will definitely try my hands at the ownership report in due course of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Sorry for using this thread but how is the seating comfort in Montero. Both the middle and last row say as compared to Endy or Fortuner or Innova.

Somehow I really like the butch yet clean looks and go anywhere capability of Montero and would like to consider a used one option if seating comfort part is known. In my city cannot find one in the showroom let alone finding a used one.
LOL on your observation of finding a new/used montero in LKO - I guess that's where you are lost ;-)
3rd row seating comfort - yes, it would be extremely comfortable for kids under 5 feet. Anyone taller, on a long drive, would start complaining. If you don't hear him/her complaining, be sure it is their politeness which is preventing them from complaining.

And this is true for the 3rd row of all SUVs. Having said that, I found Montero's 3rd row better than that of Endy and Fortuner. I would rate Innova's last row to be slightly better than that of Montero.

2nd row seating comfort - again, hell better than Endy/Fortuner, comparable to Innova.

In case you are interested, I can fwd you the contact details of a dealer selling 2008, 22k kms done facelifted Monty in Delhi. He had contacted me last afternoon quoting 28L as last price. But of course, as a buyer, one has full right to bargain/negotiate.
Old 4th June 2010, 10:39   #19
BHPian

Outlander comes home!

Finally the wait got over and the black brute came home yesterday.. Detailed report and pictures to follow soon.

Overall it was a painless procedure - specially the loan aspect of it. This was the first time ever in my life that I was working with a nationalized bank (Corporation Bank) and without any current/past relationship with them, after submitting all documents on Monday, loan got disbursed on Thursday afternoon!! So much for the flak garnered by nationalized banks at the pace of functioning, seems times have changed drastically

Mods - could you please append 'Settled for Outlander' to the thread title please? Thanks!
Old 4th June 2010, 13:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi Alok,

Congratulations on the Outlander and welcome to the Mitsubishi stable. Look forward to your review and the photographs. BTW which service center are you using Excel, Asian or is there a new one in Gurgaon?
Old 4th June 2010, 14:37   #21
BHPian

Thanks Khoj!

I had been to Excel Motors at Badarpur because there ain't one in Gurgaon. Chankya Motors, the auth service station in city, pulled down its shutters for good a while ago.

Though I read somewhere on this forum that MMC is planning to open up a new service center at GGN soon. Hoping it comes up sooner than later.
Old 13th June 2010, 06:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Outlander. I like the looks. It actually reminds me of the Evo

Anyways, is it a AWD or optional? And what is the GC?
Old 13th June 2010, 14:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Congrats on the Outlander. I like the looks. It actually reminds me of the Evo

Anyways, is it a AWD or optional? And what is the GC?
Thanks MileCruncher! The one I have purchased is pre-facelift version and therefore, it doesn't have the Evo-like grill.

Under normal running it is 2WD with an option to shift to 4WD/differential locking on the fly. IIRC, it has a GC of 215 mm.
Old 18th June 2010, 10:07   #24
BHPian

Congratulations for the purchase ,looking fwd to the detailed ownership report plus the pics of course.
Old 30th June 2010, 20:48   #25
BHPian

Can anyone advice me on how is the seating comfort of montero as compared to X5 and Q7 ? Have heard that it is better than the both because the others ride on run flats and are not as comfortable.

The ride quality cannot be compared though the others are far better.

Also does the maintenance of a montero is very much on the higher side as compared to the X5 and Q7 ? especially this being a CBU?
Old 30th June 2010, 23:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramanjit View Post
Congratulations for the purchase ,looking fwd to the detailed ownership report plus the pics of course.
Thanks Ramanjit! Yes, the pics and initial report is long due - just that had been busy with shifting to new home. Probably in a couple of weeks' time, when things improve (settling down at new place), we would surely see some more info being shared on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrub View Post
Can anyone advice me on how is the seating comfort of montero as compared to X5 and Q7 ? Have heard that it is better than the both because the others ride on run flats and are not as comfortable.

The ride quality cannot be compared though the others are far better.

Also does the maintenance of a montero is very much on the higher side as compared to the X5 and Q7 ? especially this being a CBU?
Can not comment on the seating comfort since I haven't sat in either X5 or Q7. Probably others on this forum can answer this.

However, if you ask me about the maintenance, Japanese cars are cheaper to maintain when compared with their EU bretheren. Montero, despite being a CBU, would still be cheaper to maintain.

Having said that, MMC offers only a year's warranty after which you are on your own. In comparison, BMW has maintenance plans which provide you complete (relatively speaking) peace of mind, without which, if it comes to it, one can end up spending an arm and a leg on spares/labour.. Guess, Audi too has some kind of maintenance plan - not too sure though.
Old 30th June 2010, 23:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hey Alok, congrats on the buy. Post the pics of the beast soon. BTW, is it black coloured? The black one oozes with Sex appeal. The only one which can hold a candle to it is the white coloured OL.
Old 30th June 2010, 23:37   #28
BHPian

Congrats on the Purchase Alok! Your ride sure does look sweet, Gentleman the car is in pristine condition as per what i saw, In case you dont rember Alok, I tanked Up your Car Last time . Hope you have many Happy Miles Ahead.
Old 1st July 2010, 12:52   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Hey Alok, congrats on the buy. Post the pics of the beast soon. BTW, is it black coloured? The black one oozes with Sex appeal. The only one which can hold a candle to it is the white coloured OL.
Thanks Sachin! Will post the pics soon mate! Yes, it is incidentally black colored - the third black for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Congrats on the Purchase Alok! Your ride sure does look sweet, Gentleman the car is in pristine condition as per what i saw, In case you dont rember Alok, I tanked Up your Car Last time . Hope you have many Happy Miles Ahead.
Of course I do remember Mayank - no one can so easily forget a TDH hunk tanking up one's car
Another, and more important reason for not forgetting you - you are the first BHP-ian I have met in flesh and blood.
Thanks mate for your wishes!

Last edited by AlokSriva : 1st July 2010 at 12:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks