Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 12:26   #1
mxx
BHPian

used X-Trails

I have been searching for diesel SUV(s) for my friend. While looking at X-Trail, the used ones seem to be too expensive. eg: 14,00,000/- for 2005 model (70000kms approx) which seems to be too high for 5 yr old stuff.

Since there are not many listed in carwale, gaadi etc, I wanted to know if the used X-Trails are really this expensive or these are just stray cases of optimistic owners or dealers.

Anyone who has purchased a used XTrail?
Old 17th September 2010, 13:44   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Your point about all these used cars being too expensive at least at the asking price level, is correct.

However, if you search a bit, you will find that there are a lot of nice SUV's like the X Trail and Pajero etc which come up from the Corporate segment ( Top executive's cars/ ex-pat exec cars). Normally for a 2 to 3 year old car of this kind, the depreciation can be as high as 50% from the original price paid.

But it is also true that X trails and Tucsons and such are not that commonly found in the used car dealers places - the majority of them get sold via private sale , word of mouth method, which is why they rarely get advertised too.
Old 17th September 2010, 13:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

A 5 year old X Trail at 14 lacs with 70k on the ODO is unappealing.

You can find a good Chevy Captiva for that price - half the age and half the mileage of the X Trail. And a much better SUV.
Old 17th September 2010, 14:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I wanted to know if the used X-Trails are really this expensive or these are just stray cases of optimistic owners or dealers.
X-trails, Patrols and even Pajeros of similar vintage are priced 10 lakh plus as these vehicles are champions of holding their value over time.

Rather than a Captiva, an Endeavour 2-3 yr/50000kms would be my suggestion at your price point.
Old 17th September 2010, 14:58   #5
BANNED

Let me add something here since I too am looking for something of the sort.

Bangalore is not the right place to look for used SUVs since there aren't many here. And the ones that are in the market are priced overwhelmingly high.

It is best to look at places like Bombay/NCR etc which have many such cars, get them checked by your buddies and then plan a couple of travels to finalise the deal. Kerala too could be a state worth looking at.
Old 17th September 2010, 15:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been searching for diesel SUV(s) for my friend. While looking at X-Trail, the used ones seem to be too expensive. eg: 14,00,000/- for 2005 model (70000kms approx) which seems to be too high for 5 yr old stuf
That's why Bangalore used car market is a BIG JOKE! At these prices, any such deal doesn't make any kind of sense.

X TRAIL hardly sold (though an excellent vehicle). I will not pay more than 10 for a five year old sample. In Delhi, I think you can get a smple for 7-8ish. Now, considering the Bangalore factor, it should not be more than 10. However, knowing the Bangalore mindset, you may not get anything at all for the prices quoted, however appropriate they may be!

buy a Chevy CAPTIVA if you are ready to spend 13-14.
Old 17th September 2010, 16:58   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
It is best to look at places like Bombay/NCR etc which have many such cars, get them checked by your buddies and then plan a couple of travels to finalise the deal. Kerala too could be a state worth looking at.
And what does one do thereafter when the vehicle is driven in BLR and cops stop you every now and then just by having a look at your registration plate?

Additonally, you won't be able to re-register the vehicle in BLR as it would be non BS-4.

Isn't worth the efforts IMHO if the vehicle is to be driven in BLR.
Old 17th September 2010, 17:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
And what does one do thereafter when the vehicle is driven in BLR and cops stop you every now and then just by having a look at your registration plate?

Additonally, you won't be able to re-register the vehicle in BLR as it would be non BS-4.

Isn't worth the efforts IMHO if the vehicle is to be driven in BLR.
not a single cop had stopped in 2.5 years for checking after looking at my car's DL resigtration plates. Yes, I have been stopped during checking for druken driving, regular checking where all the cars were being stopped (before 15 aug) and have got a challan too for parking in a " No Parking zone.Might be I was plain lucky

though some of my friends have got the NOC from Delhi when they shifted base to Bangalore, paid the road tax and re-registered their cars with KA numbers. I know the road taxes are steep in KA and I didn't went through this route since on the back of my head, I wanted to shift back to Delhi sooner or later, so choose to drive with DL plates.
Old 17th September 2010, 17:21   #9
BHPian

That's exactly what I also did with my DL registered car for 2.5 years in BLR Pankaj.

Well I/my wife were stopped on a few occasions for DL plates but dropping the name of city's top-cop who happened to be a family friend came in handy

See the difference between you/me and locals is the fact that we know sooner or later we will relocate and vehicle would follow us. This ain't the case with Devdath and others. In due course of time, they would need to sell the vehicle and then non-KA plates would again be a big hurdle.
Old 17th September 2010, 18:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Just saw a 2006 X-Trail (85 k) for 12 lakhs listed on Carwale.
New one was costing over 26 L, so even the used ones are going to be on the higher side.
Old 17th September 2010, 22:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

Another thing with Xtrails - the turbos are known to blow
Old 18th September 2010, 09:01   #12
mxx
BHPian

Thanks for your reply guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
That's why Bangalore used car market is a BIG JOKE! At these prices, any such deal doesn't make any kind of sense.
Agree.
But, since the vehicle will be driven in Bangalore, it is not worth the trouble buying outside Bangalore.

I did check out the captiva listing, but even that is rare :(

That said, at 14lks it is foolish buy for a 5 yr piece as you guys mentioned.
Maybe I have to broaden my search to pajeros and cr-v.

Problem with cr-v is lact of diesel, anyone knows what the mileage cr-v gets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Another thing with Xtrails - the turbos are known to blow
i did see a thread regarding turbo trouble, but i thought this was a stray case. did not know it was a trend.

Quote:
Let me add something here since I too am looking for something of the sort.
Hows your search going? Which models do you have in considerations?
Old 18th September 2010, 09:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
A 5 year old X Trail at 14 lacs with 70k on the ODO is unappealing.

You can find a good Chevy Captiva for that price - half the age and half the mileage of the X Trail. And a much better SUV.
Well that depends on the poster's needs. If its a softroader with great ride and handling dynamics ala a car, XTrail is at the top of the pack and Captiva isn't...
Old 20th September 2010, 12:01   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
See the difference between you/me and locals is the fact that we know sooner or later we will relocate and vehicle would follow us. This ain't the case with Devdath and others. In due course of time, they would need to sell the vehicle and then non-KA plates would again be a big hurdle.
Please go through the MV Act for out of state vehicles registration rules and timelines The same is there on a TBHP thread somewhere as well. It is self explanatory.

And how do you know I would sell the vehicle? I wont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Agree.
But, since the vehicle will be driven in Bangalore, it is not worth the trouble buying outside Bangalore.
Hows your search going? Which models do you have in considerations?
I m looking for an older model with a lesser odo reading and a single owner history. And yes, I will happily buy a non KA vehicle once I get a deal. In case you intend to know why, please feel free to PM me.
Old 20th September 2010, 15:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Please go through the MV Act for out of state vehicles registration rules and timelines The same is there on a TBHP thread somewhere as well. It is self explanatory.
And how do you know I would sell the vehicle? I wont.
I am familiar with the MV Act and the guidelines therein and am aware of the thread too as I have moved across states umpteen times with my cars in tow.

Though a simple question for you - have you ever tried taking a refund from RTO for a vehicle which you are taking out of its jurisdiction and use in another state? Doesn't seem to me, and please feel free to correct/concur with me on this.
EDIT- realized from second part of your post some 'reason' you have. If that's the case, please go ahead and buy a non-KA vehicle - all the best for your search.

Regarding selling off the vehicle, I am glad to meet someone whose vehicles after serving for all they could/would, won't change hands, but would be scrapped.

Last edited by AlokSriva : 20th September 2010 at 15:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks