Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 16:03   #1
BHPian

Confused on which MUV to buy

So here is my situation. I currently have a chevy tavera, which I wish to sell off and buy a new MUV. The car is not going to be used by me, rather it is an office vehicle for the staff, for outstation trips/presentations, transporting of files, etc. It has to be a diesel, or something else that gives me good mileage. This is the vehicle that does all the running around.

Here are my options..

Xylo.
positives - Cheap, Spacious, Not too powerful(will be driven by drivers who tend to speed), efficient, comfortable 8 seater
cons - Never used a mahindra before, crap plastics, bad driving dynamics.. its so big and tall you feel it will fall over anytime.. just does not inspire confidence in me as a product

Innova
Positives - Bulletproof product.. tried and tested. I had a toyota qualis and it was a very nice SUV. Well built. feels more like a car than a MUV.
Cons- Expensive! I dont want to spend 12 lacs on a people carrier! and either ways Toyota does not sell the 8 seater to corporates, so I would have to do some "jhol"

Sumo grande
Positives - It was spacious.. and its cheap
Negatives - Who buys a sumo in 2010?

Chevy Tavera
Positives- I liked the product, I still like the looks, tried and tested,etc.
Negatives- Sonalika engine, it aint that good to buy it again.

Aria
Positives - Loaded
Negatives - Expensive, so out of question. If they come up with a sub 10 lac option then I might consider it.

Safari
Positives - LOVE the car ever since I was a kid. New DICOR engine, brand, etc
Negatives - The one in my budget has a lot of dumb features like electronic mirrors etc but no dual AC. 7 seater. New version out soon?
Old 8th October 2010, 16:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
Chevy Tavera
Positives- I liked the product, I still like the looks, tried and tested,etc.
Negatives- Sonalika engine, it aint that good to buy it again.
That has to be a typo, right? The Tavera has a Sonalika engine???

Quote:
Safari
Negatives - The one in my budget has a lot of dumb features like electronic mirrors etc but no dual AC. 7 seater. New version out soon?
Heh heh, you're gonna have a few people come down on you like a ton of bricks now that you've labeled the Safari as a MUV

On a serious note, you haven't mentioned your Budget but looking at the primary purpose, I'm guessing that you will not be spending much time in it, so why not the Xylo (I thought they said the E6 was well kitted)?

Last edited by suman : 8th October 2010 at 16:20.
Old 8th October 2010, 16:44   #3
BHPian

Suman, Due to emission norms all Tavera's are fitted with Rhino's engine as GM-Isuzu engine failed to meet Euro4 norms.
Old 8th October 2010, 17:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Your best net is Xylo followed by Innova. Both of them will move 7 to 8 persons and/or a lot of stuff. I assume that you do not have any off-road requirement while visiting project site.
Old 8th October 2010, 18:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is not going to be used by me, rather it is an office vehicle for the staff, for outstation trips/presentations, transporting of files, etc.

In such a case cheap plastics/features offered don't matter as you wouldn't be driving it. If you can afford it, get the Innova or else buy the Sumo or Xylo!!
Old 10th October 2010, 16:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

i think the xylo suits your requirements. since it would be chauffeur driven & you want a cheap MUV, go for the xylo.
Old 10th October 2010, 16:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

You best bet for today would be Grande followed by Xylo; IMO, Xylo scores even better than Grande, I mean in terms of after sales service too.

On a different note, how about buying a used Innova?
Old 10th October 2010, 23:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
... rather it is an office vehicle for the staff, for outstation trips/presentations, transporting of files, etc.
It has to be a diesel, or something else that gives me good mileage. This is the vehicle that does all the running around.

Xylo.
positives - Cheap, Spacious, Not too powerful(will be driven by drivers who tend to speed), efficient, comfortable 8 seater
cons - ..

Safari
You want a people mover or office stuff mover?

Xylo can seat 8 people comfortably.. (opt for the bench seat in middle row)

Safari, the last 2 seats are not for adults (unless you have kids at your office your childhood dream will have to wait)

From what you have stated, Xylo and Grande seems to fit bill.
Old 11th October 2010, 00:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

As others suggested, Xylo is the most appropriate MUV for you. Get the E6 8seater version.
Old 11th October 2010, 00:11   #10
BANNED

Quote:
So here is my situation.
Aria
Positives - Loaded
Negatives - Expensive, so out of question. If they come up with a sub 10 lac option then I might consider it.

Safari

The Aria should be priced between 13-16 lacs for the kind of equipment level TATA's are offering, First Indian with such features. Its the only MUV with SUV features and much more, so this must be out of your option.

And Safari is not a MUV, and what makes you think the electronic mirror is a dumb feature.

And you dont need a dual AC in a Safari, the front and the lower mid seat blowers are sufficient to send you a chill on scorching summers.

Its a proper 7 seater, and thats the fact, and moreover its the hot favourite SUV on T-BHP.
Old 11th October 2010, 00:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2010 at 10:47.
Parm is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th October 2010, 01:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Your best net is Xylo followed by Innova. Both of them will move 7 to 8 persons and/or a lot of stuff. I assume that you do not have any off-road requirement while visiting project site.
No offroading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
In such a case cheap plastics/features offered don't matter as you wouldn't be driving it. If you can afford it, get the Innova or else buy the Sumo or Xylo!!
I can afford the innova, but I dont want to spend more than 10 lacs on a people carrier. But the xylo does not inspire me as a product. I keep thinking, its so tall, it will roll over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i think the xylo suits your requirements. since it would be chauffeur driven & you want a cheap MUV, go for the xylo.
Looks like the xylo is being recommended to me a lot. I guess it shouldnt be as bad as I am thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
You best bet for today would be Grande followed by Xylo; IMO, Xylo scores even better than Grande, I mean in terms of after sales service too.

On a different note, how about buying a used Innova?
Used is out of the question. Is Mahindra service seriously better than TATA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
As others suggested, Xylo is the most appropriate MUV for you. Get the E6 8seater version.
I was thinking of the D2 as it is less powerful It has all the features I need..
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
The Aria should be priced between 13-16 lacs for the kind of equipment level TATA's are offering, First Indian with such features. Its the only MUV with SUV features and much more, so this must be out of your option.

And Safari is not a MUV, and what makes you think the electronic mirror is a dumb feature.

And you dont need a dual AC in a Safari, the front and the lower mid seat blowers are sufficient to send you a chill on scorching summers.

Its a proper 7 seater, and thats the fact, and moreover its the hot favourite SUV on T-BHP.
Arre baba I love electronic mirrors. I just think that it is easier to live without than a dual AC. It's about marginal utility.. I think the dual ac is a more "required" feature in a car than electronic mirrors. Just like I'd rather have a car with airbags than a push button start.

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2010 at 10:48. Reason: Removing Parm's post as it has been deleted
Old 11th October 2010, 09:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
he wants a cheap MUV. he is not even considering the Innova, so the Aria is out of question. and would you really recommend a new launched tata to someone?

Quote:
safari is a proper 7 seater? pavan saab, a proper male like me can even sit in the back seat for more than 5 mins. its seriously short on headroom. safari is a good 5 seater.

and you are right, safari is the hot favourite SUV in T-BHP (only).

Quote:
But the xylo does not inspire me as a product. I keep thinking, its so tall, it will roll over.

Looks like the xylo is being recommended to me a lot. I guess it shouldnt be as bad as I am thinking.
Xylo is not that bad. done expect innova like dynamics from it but it is more spacious than the innova, especially in the third row.

Quote:
Is Mahindra service seriously better than TATA?
As far as my experience goes, Mahindra A.S.S is much better than TATA though not as good as toyota.

Quote:
I was thinking of the D2 as it is less powerful It has all the features I need..
yes, all xylos have triple row AC. but it will look like a typical taxi with black bumpers & no wheel caps, if you dont mind that...
Old 11th October 2010, 10:19   #14
BHPian

@holysmoke,

I had the same options (excluding Aria) when I was in the market last year looking for a 7-8 seater family vehicle. Interestingly, I don't see Scorpio here - any specific reasons?

Coming back, I bought a Xylo E4 after consideration on mainly combination of 4 parameters - Initial cost, Seating comfort (all rows), VFM, running cost.

Initial 2 services and a couple of under warranty part changes later I have developed some confidence in the post sales service department as well.

Count this post as another vote for Xylo.
Old 11th October 2010, 11:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Used is out of the question. Is Mahindra service seriously better than TATA?
Every week, there're atleast a story or more complaining the poor service from T.A.S.S, but with Mahindra, one knows atleast Mr.Anand Mahindra twits & there's a way to reach the voice to be heard at the top!!!

I'm not sure why you want to reject the idea of an used car, for you know very well that Innova is a bullet proof vehicle. Since its going to be used as office vehicle you don't need to gift a new car unless you're driving it everyday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks