Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2010, 23:58   #1
BHPian

Used XC90 or Santa Fe

I plan to retire my Innova after its faithful and absolutely niggle free service of 3.5 yrs and 28K kms. Though it is still good but boredom has set in and new set of wheels are required. My requirements are;

1. 7 seats where last row should be comfortable for at least 5'3-4" folks. First two rows seating comfort should be at par or better than Innova.
2. Excellent Safety
3. Must be reliable and niggle free (a vehicle I can depend on when far from the city)
4. Can handle moderate off-roading.
5. Should have good highway manners in terms of ride and handling.
6. Decent performance (Sub 12 secs for 0-100. lesser the better )
7. Need not bother much about dents/scratches when taken to crowded places and rowdy traffic.
8. Need to have good fit/finish and decent interiors.
9. Cost upto 25 lakhs but give take few lakhs.

It seems Santa-Fe is matching all my requirements (still waiting for a TD). However I came across few deals where used XC90 is also available in similar price range (+3-4 lakhs). I have found XC90 to be very practical and user friendly but have no experience on its dependability or service costs. Snob value is not at all important. Somehow my heart seems to like XC90 but am apprehensive due to reasons mentioned earlier (esp for a used one).

I'm posting this to know what fellow t-bhpians think. My mind and better half are all set for Santa-Fe but wanted to know your opinion also. Please do not suggest any other vehicle. Believe me I have tried all of them but haven't found meeting all my requirements well.
Old 23rd October 2010, 00:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

Here is my view. I would say the Sante Fe because -

1. I think it will be big enough. But only a test drive will tell how comfortable it is.

2. Here the Volvo might have a slight advantage knowing how finicky these Swedish are over their safety. But the Santa Fe also has 6 airbags and the normal safety features.

3. I think the Sante Fe would win here. Also a Hyundai would be much easier to service considering there are so many service stations.

4. Frankly I think this is equal for both.

5. Volvo would win here since its a European car. Hyundai isnt known for their handling anyway.

6. The Volvo would be the previous generation D5 engine which is 185ps, dont remember the torque. But the Sante Fe would eat it up performance wise.

7. Hyundai = cheaper

8. Volvo would be more solidly built.

The Sante Fe would also be new and not used hence probably more trouble free. Also if you chip it you get 230bhp.

Also you already have a Euro SUV, why buy another? It will just disappoint you in front of the Q7.
Old 23rd October 2010, 13:48   #3
BANNED

I would vouch for the Santa Fe due to the following reasons:

1. Volvo cars was owned by Ford and now by a Chinese Co called Geely and not Volvo, so you could leave out that European built car image.

2. Volvo service back up and network are non existent.

3. In the same budget, when you can buy a new car of the same segment, that is the way to go.

4. Hyundai spares and service costs will definitely be cheaper than Volvo.

Last edited by n.devdath : 23rd October 2010 at 13:51.
Old 23rd October 2010, 14:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey,

I just returned from the Hyundai dealer and saw the Santa Fe. Looks impressive. as mentioned a new car is a new car. I would advise you have a look at the Santa Fe and then decide. Also with Hyundai you have a wide network benefit compared to Volvo.

Have you considered other options?

1. Captiva. 7 Seater. Diesel motor. I have not driven it myself but been in it a few times. Decent priced and suits your needs too.

Cheers!!
Old 23rd October 2010, 14:32   #5
BANNED

The problem with Volvo service backup is known, sad for such a nice car.

While the Santafe is good, Looks are quite subjective and i personally did not like it a bit, and almost all Hyundai SUV/MUV has failed in the Indian Market. You may find it tough during a re-sale.

Look at different options.

1) Captiva - If you have no issues with GM
2) Aria - A great SUV/MUV and a true VFM on offer presently.
Old 23rd October 2010, 14:43   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Have you considered other options?
1. Captiva.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Look at different options.
Guys he has mentioned he does not want suggestions on other cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Please do not suggest any other vehicle. Believe me I have tried all of them but haven't found meeting all my requirements well.
Old 23rd October 2010, 17:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Volvos as we all know are built to last. It has the best safety features & has excellent road manners. It is a typical Euro build. I am myself waiting for the XC60 (Nov launch).

Having said that. It is a used car or an abused car ? That should be the deal maker or breaker. I my opinion, no one in his right mind would have abused a XC90, also it is a car that "kids" would not enjoy, lack of snob value, maybe that works in it's favour. Just figure out the dealership support, let that be the decision maker.

Volvo is in the process of getting their act together in India & a slew of Volvos are to be launched sooner than later, so they will be building up the network & fast.

Santa Fe - yes - it is fresh, it is korean, it is definately going to be cheaper to run & maintain, wider service network. Though I doubt it has 4 wheel drive / AWD. As far as I know it is a front wheel drive.

P.S. Just checked, it comes in 4x2 & 4x4 MT

Happy buying

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 23rd October 2010 at 17:44.
Old 23rd October 2010, 19:13   #8
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your quick responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Here is my view. I would say the Sante Fe because -
Also you already have a Euro SUV, why buy another? It will just disappoint you in front of the Q7.
Thanks @akshay1234. Your response came in no time !!. This car would be used for general purpose MUV kind of transport and occasional visits to my village and handle all kind of traffic. Can't dare to take Q7 there. Dents and scratches are 100% guaranteed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I would vouch for the Santa Fe due to the following reasons:
Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I would advise you have a look at the Santa Fe and then decide. Also with Hyundai you have a wide network benefit compared to Volvo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
While the Santafe is good, Looks are quite subjective and i personally did not like it a bit, and almost all Hyundai SUV/MUV has failed in the Indian Market. You may find it tough during a re-sale.
So in general the mandate is for Santa-Fe. As for the looks I find Santa-Fe quite appealing and nice esp it would look good in white. For the resale I'll be happy if I can get 40-50% after 3 yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Having said that. It is a used car or an abused car ? That should be the deal maker or breaker. I my opinion, no one in his right mind would have abused a XC90, also it is a car that "kids" would not enjoy, lack of snob value, maybe that works in it's favour. Just figure out the dealership support, let that be the decision maker.
yes @Ricky_63. Support issues (rather lack of it), lack of dealerships, availability of spares and somewhat sketchy reliability (as from various online forums and reviews) are the downers for such a nice and practical car. Nearest dealership from my place would be 560 kms.

Overall I'm inclined heavily to Santa Fe. Just saw the overdrive review for Santa-Fe. They were all big praise for this car (not sure if it was a paid review) and made me feel to just give a call to the dealer and book this car.
Old 23rd October 2010, 19:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Volvo CX90 is listed at between 45L and 52L ex showroom in India. If it is available for less than half the price, then it may be a high milage piece. With the experience of owners of European cars & SUV in this forum, it may be requiring a major investment for its upkeep. In case you want to go ahead, please take it to a Volvo dealership and get it thoroughly checked and get an estimate for repair costs.

The XC90 is available in both Petrol & Diesel. The petrol one would have very low FE.

In spite of what others say, a Volvo if properly maintained would give you literally a life time of service. That not withstanding, I believe that the Volvo of 3 idiots fame had to be towed from Ladak.
Old 23rd October 2010, 20:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

If the Volvo service center is 560 kms away from you. That should make the decision easy. IT is Santa Fe for you.

Parts for the Volvo would not be available at every store (if at all)

Your obvious choice is the Santa Fe. Do let us know how it goes. With almost 200 bhp on tap, it should make for a good drive.

Guess I need to go check it out

Cheers
Old 23rd October 2010, 21:38   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks @akshay1234. Your response came in no time !!. This car would be used for general purpose MUV kind of transport and occasional visits to my village and handle all kind of traffic. Can't dare to take Q7 there. Dents and scratches are 100% guaranteed.
In that case it has to be the Sante Fe. If by chance you do need to change or repair, the spares for a 25lac car will be much cheaper than one which cost 50lac+ originally.
Old 24th October 2010, 01:42   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
4. Can handle moderate off-roading.

Please do not suggest any other vehicle. Believe me I have tried all of them but haven't found meeting all my requirements well.
Well, you've clearly stated that you would not like to be suggested any other vehicle, so I won't. But neither of the vehicles of your choice can handle moderate off-roading - they are, at best, mild off-roaders, and best suited to snowy/icy/slippery tarmac roads. Both are on-demand 4WD systems which lack a low-range transfer case. You might want to look up this thread for more info.

More about the XC90 here.
Old 24th October 2010, 05:10   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
. Volvo cars was owned by Ford and now by a Chinese Co called Geely and not Volvo, so you could leave out that European built car image.
Does that apply to Range Rovers and Jags also ?
Old 24th October 2010, 10:01   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
the chinese company only use money to buy volvo but
the management the factory and enginneers are all swedish

narry
Old 24th October 2010, 10:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Range Rovers and Jaguars are a TATA company now! The Top Management always changes, even if all that the new owners dictates is broad policy. The line management, design and manufacturing changes much later if at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks