Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2011, 19:06   #1
BHPian

Xylo D2 vs E4 ? Is D2 variant a good buy ?

Questions on buying a new XYLO D2 vs E4

I currently own a Maruti Alto LXi and want to buy a bigger car. Some of the factors in consideration are:
a. a bigger car, where occasionally more than 5 (upto 7 )people can travel
b. Has quite comfortable leg room - for all passengers
c. Has got good luggage holding capacity
d. upper limit on the budget - about 8 L
e. Daily use for commuting b/w office & house (about 60+km), weekends going for trips/long drives etc.

I've always found that going for 250+km drives in my alto not so comfortable experience, for multiple reasons like less power, cramped up, not comfortable for more than 3 or 4 people, etc.

I'm evaluating another car which would be more spacious and offer better comfort. After some search in various sites, I've short-listed Scorpio, Xylo, Innova, Bolero.

Since I'm preferring a new car, and the price of innova is quite high, even though that has got very good feedbacks, I cannot consider innova.

Scorpio also is dropped for a similar reason. Among the rest of the two, after reading various reviews, I'm more inclined towards Xyo Neverthless have some questions regarding this car which I couldn't find easily on the internet.

Is XYLO D2 Variant a good buy ?

What is the real factors which might affect this decision ? I've seen the tech specs of the two and know that D2 is MdiCRDE, while E series is meagleCRDE and the BHP and torque is less in D2. What I want to know is what impact does these difference really create and does it matter ? (Rarely I go above speeds of 120+) and hence does that extra power really make a difference ? Mostly I will be using the car for my daily commute b/w house and office.. My alto is excellent for this, though I get a bit of knee pain after crawling thru traffic. I heard reviews that the height and seating of bigger cars reduce (to some extent at least) Will changing to a bigger car like Xylo reduce this discomfort ?

My budget is about 8L and I find that only Xylo d2 and bolero comes within this bracket…. Can some experts here give their views in this matter so that I can take a more better decision ?

Thank you very much.

Regards
Haria

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th January 2011 at 19:13. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy pasting from external font editors. Also use Preview before Submitting new posts.
Old 14th January 2011, 20:51   #2
BHPian

Re: Xylo D2 vs E4 ? Is D2 variant a good buy ?

IMO, There is no big difference in terms of features between D2 and E4, except that the E4 gets mEagle engine and D2 gets IDI engine with common rail. D2 has a decent pickup and the power and If you drive sedately, then these figures are adequate for you. If you are looking for a cost effective buy, then D2 makes sense.

However, D2 is very basic and you dont even get the body colored bumpers.

Since you are in Bangalore, are you sure you want to drive Xylo to office on daily basis instead of Alto ?

There are other threads, where this has been discussed in the past, go through them so that you will get more idea.
Old 14th January 2011, 21:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

The E4. Better engine, modern motor and overall a more polished product.
Old 14th January 2011, 22:41   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
I'm evaluating another car which would be more spacious and offer better comfort. After some search in various sites, I've short-listed Scorpio, Xylo, Innova, Bolero.

Since I'm preferring a new car, and the price of innova is quite high, even though that has got very good feedbacks, I cannot consider innova.

I would highly recommend a td of the Sumo Grande MK2.
I drove it, and loved the way she moves in the city.
Old 15th January 2011, 08:53   #5
BHPian

Thanks 2500cc, sidindica, bblost for your replies.

@ 2500cc:
yep. d2 is more of basic model. Am more concerned about the quality of the vehicle and the maintenance aspect. Yes, i've done a bit of searching in team-bhp with respect to this. Couldn't find too much info. about this comparison.
Yeah, I guess it may be more difficult to drive a xlyo in city traffic than a smaller car like Alto, but some feedback from my friends (who are having scorpio, innova,etc) suggests that this may be an issue only on small by-lanes/roads. Not sure, myself, but hope that above is correct. I can't retain two cars (no parking space @ home).
Can other Xylo owners please comment on this aspect

@Bblost : i agree, the grande mk2 is a real nifty car. Neverthless, the interiors and other comforts are not so good as in xylo. I feel xylo is more VFM.

I'm planning to do a test drive of both d2 & e4. Will post details of this.

Haria
Old 15th January 2011, 18:15   #6
BHPian

Yes, an extensive test drive is the right way to go. Though D2 could be good enough for your basic requirement with regards to the engine, it could lack creature comforts.

On a totally different note why can't you consider some roomy hatch backs or sedans? That could be a much better solution for the daily city use. One of my friends who moved from Alto to Ritz for problems similar to yours finds his new drive very satisfactory. Not just small lanes, parking and reversing could also pose problems with a big MUV like Xylo.
Old 15th January 2011, 19:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
On a totally different note why can't you consider some roomy hatch backs or sedans? That could be a much better solution for the daily city use.
Yes. You are right about the hatchbacks being more easy to maneuver in the city - going for a sedan will not really be much different from a MUV, because the size in terms of the overall length is more or less same. One of the disadvantages of hatchbacks and sedans is whenever you have more than 5 people traveling, it's a big pain. (Even 5 is not so comfortable in most hatchbacks and sedans for anything over 60-70km drives)

Granted, most of the time it will be used in a single passenger mode, the trouble is I don't have the parking space to keep two cars. So I need to compromise somewhere. So if the difference in maneuverability is not very substantial, I would have to compromise in that department. This is what I would like to validate with experts here. -ie, whether there's a huge difference in maneuverability b/w a MUV and a sedan/hatchback, such that i need to totally drop MUV from my scope.
Old 15th January 2011, 21:01   #8
BHPian

I believe with few days of practice you can overcome the big size handicap of Xylo. It all boils down to how much you understand your vehicle. If you understand it well, You would never ask something that's beyond it's capacity, and so you will never be disappointed.
Old 15th January 2011, 21:05   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I see what you are looking for; a step up from the Alto in power, comfort, space and long distance touring. The ability to seat 7 is probably not that high on the priority list. Don't worry about rare occasions. Ask relatives and / or friends to bring their own car.

I highly recommend the Toyota Etios or the Tata Manza (diesel only) to you. Either of these will seat 5 easily, have good boots and are dynamically superior (read = WAY superior) to a Xylo or Sumo. Plus, either will be easier to drive over your daily commute too. If you are looking at an all-rounder and hassle-free ownership, take a spin in the Etios. It's got respectable road manners and is also the fastest in the 5 - 6 lakh sedan category. Test drive both and update us on your thoughts.
Old 15th January 2011, 21:34   #10
BANNED

Have you taken a look at the used car market? It is possible to get a top end Scorpio owned by a single person and driven sanely for INR 8 lac at Blore pretty easily.

You will also find Innovas and a few Xylos in the range and believe me, any of these, if purchased with less than 50k on the odo or whereabouts, will last long enough and cheaply as well.

If you are bent on going for a new car only, then I would recommend the Xylo E4.
Old 16th January 2011, 09:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
long distance touring. The ability to seat 7 is probably not that high on the priority list. Don't worry about rare occasions. Ask relatives and / or friends to bring their own car.
This is a problem because the people/relatives who come doesn't know driving, let alone own a car. Yes, while it is not a regular occurrence, it does create lot of confusion - usually we land up hiring a qualis/sumo. This starts to pinch more (because of taxes) whenever there is an interstate travel involved.

I have TDed Tata Manza & Swift Dzire, while both are great cars, i personally found swift Dzire more comfortable- plus the added advantage of maruti service. These were my initial choices (was also evaluating logan at one point). Most of these all are nudging the 6 -7.5 lakh bracket (esp. diesel variants). That's what set me thinking towards an MPV - for another 1 L or so, one can get a better VFM package.

@n.devdath: mmm - yes you are right about getting a good secondhand at around 8 Ls, but sort of uncomfortable at spending 8 L + on a second hand veh.
Old 16th January 2011, 09:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Another option is to wait for some time for the Xylo 5 seater. Though the name itself is contradictory (5 seater whereas you need a 7 seater), it may be worthwhile to ponder over. The price may be less whereby you can opt for high end comforts.
Old 16th January 2011, 18:49   #13
BHPian

Haria,

You seem to be in same state I do.. I have an alto.. want to upgrade to a better power, comfortable and spacious vehicle... started thinking of Manza... but thats cuting too close to MUVs.. so started seaching on Scorpio and Xylo...
Saw Safari and really loved the feel of it.. But the fear of niggles is scaring me.. When i went to the TM Showroom today, the salesman suggesed me to go for Xylo... was suprised why he is suggesting a Mahindra vehicle..

I hve spent my whole weekend reading about these vehicles in tbhp. The more the time I am spending on tbhp, the more confused I seem to be getting..

I am really stuck the deciding between a MUV and a Sedan.. Will keep watching this thread for more opinions..
Old 16th January 2011, 21:39   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
@n.devdath: mmm - yes you are right about getting a good secondhand at around 8 Ls, but sort of uncomfortable at spending 8 L + on a second hand veh.
Don't be. There are many examples of people on the forum who have bought good pre owned cars and are enjoying them. In fact, GTO is one among them. Murli has bought a very good Scorpio for around 4 lacs if I remember correctly and is very happy with it.
Give it a thought and let me know if I can be of any help.
Old 17th January 2011, 00:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
There are many examples of people on the forum who have bought good pre owned cars and are enjoying them.
Give it a thought and let me know if I can be of any help.
Thanks n.devdath. I have till now not considered pre-owned veh. Will keep this in mind.

@recker_us : join the club buddy! . I'm also in a similar boat, hopefully this confusion should get eliminated (or may become more!) after my TD which I'm planning to do tomorrow.

Let me see how it goes. Will post dtls of the same

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks