Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2007, 13:15   #1

How to enjoy the Malaysian Grand Prix? (With pics)

I'm a Malaysian GP veteran.
For the first timers there's nothing in this world that sounds as awesme as an F1 car. It's just mind blowing.
And since you guys plan to spend some money to see the F1 here some tips to make the most of the experience.

1. Don't waste time sight seeing. KL is a nice city and all that blah but since you guys are turned on by hot rods all the fun you want is at Sepang. So If I were you I'd take a three day ticket.

2. Even though the package tours offer shuttles to and from the circuit I have only used them for the drive from the circuit back to city. Make your own arrangements to get to the circuit of you don't want to miss the action. you will always have some *** in the group who'll delay the start and you don't want to miss qualifying right?

3. KL has amazing transport systems and they are very punctual most of the time. Wherever you stay you cannot be far from KL Central, the main commuter railway station. KL Central offer 3 day tickets at a very reasonable costs that take you from the station to the circuit. First by train and then by bus. You can buy them at the station itself. USE THIS. To avoid rush Hour reach KL Central by 8.30 AM. I know that you have paid for the shuttles in your package tour but having travelled a zillion miles a few Ringit more won't hurt you.

4. Once on Circuit there are Circuit shuttles that take you to your respective stands. There are very frequent and cover all the stands.

5. The best stand in the Malaysian GP unless you are in the Paddocks, is the Grand Stand F Platinum. It offers a view that so that your see the cars for atleast 60 percent of the lap. I've researched this so trust me. Also it's a section of track where cars often fly into the gravel or spin onto the grass so you can have a good close up look of some very pissed off drivers.

6. Don't miss Friday's free practice. This is when the drivers do all kinds of crazy things and since very few people come in you can move about the grands stands and take all the pictures you want without restrictions.

7. Dress in cool cottons or linens only. Carry Sun Block/Screen and rub oodles on hands, face and neck to avoid sun burns. Good footwear is essential since you do have to walk around, Don't try to wear slippers and high heels. You'll suffer.

8. Don't wear ear plugs. For first timers the sounds may be frighteningly loud but you'll get used to it. Why go all the way and not enjoy the shriek of an F1 car.

9. Don't do silly things on circuit. Don't attract the attention of cops. Those guys of provoked (especially by Indians) get nasty.

10. On Qualifying day and Race day the crowds become huge. So the circuit shuttles get full up and you may not get onto one for and hour. Don't panic. Wait. Or if you are fit enough. Walk to the central meeting point.

11. Visit the F1 Paddocks/ village. It's awesome with fabulous merchandise. F1 cars usually BMWs and McLarens are on display. Merc usually shows off all their new releases which are simply awesome. And there some great souvenir shopping.

13. Don't miss the drivers parade just before the race. That's when you realize how short but awesomely fit these drivers are.

Gosh I deserve a free ticket from BHP for all this valuable advice. Anyway. Have a great time guys.

Nachu 42@42
Old 10th January 2007, 15:20   #2
BHPian

nice write up nachu will come handy for those who r travelling
Old 10th January 2007, 15:47   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure it will be of use to many attending.
Old 11th January 2007, 09:12   #4
BHPian

Anyone attending it this time? I'd been there for A1 GP and hope to see the F1 GP also from the paddocks. I'm not sure I'd get the pass this time though.
Old 11th January 2007, 10:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Ummm sks biker have you seen this thread? lol

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...prix-meet.html

So I guess, a bunch of us are coming to KL. Maybe we can meet you there.

EDIT: You've made 9 posts in 3 years??

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 11th January 2007 at 10:24.
Old 11th January 2007, 16:37   #6
BHPian

Couple of things I wanted to add to Nachu's suggestion list based on my race experience and that would be

1. The hill stands covered and open sections you would require to be seated on the grass and beware of caterpillars and you would surely get into an itching spree. The medical center offers treatment either tabs or cream for the same. Be careful while sitting down preferably take foldable chairs with you.

2. The traffic from KL to Sepang if you are taking the shuttle will be pretty bad so make sure you plan to get to the track well in advance for the qualifying and the race

3. Try to attend (u might need passes) the F1 parties in the city before & during the 3 race days, they are real fun you might run into some drivers....

4. Do not miss some nice party places around Bukit Bintang, you are sure to have lotsa fun .
Old 11th January 2007, 17:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachu View Post
KL Central offer 3 day tickets at a very reasonable costs that take you from the station to the circuit. First by train and then by bus. You can buy them at the station itself. USE THIS. To avoid rush Hour reach KL Central by 8.30 AM.
Hey, thanks for a really informative thread! Any idea what a 3 day ticket would cost? What about a 1 day one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachu View Post
5. The best stand in the Malaysian GP unless you are in the Paddocks, is the Grand Stand F Platinum.
Any idea how bad (or good) Citrine (Lower Mall Tier) is?
Old 11th January 2007, 18:41   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, we're all going to be in the Hill Stand C2. 3 day tickets to the race are part of the package.
Old 11th January 2007, 18:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Any idea how bad (or good) Citrine (Lower Mall Tier) is?
Not worth it - take the chaps advice and go for Stand F. F gives you the best view on the circuit, without doubt. You will need to walk about 100 m for the beer, though - gives you an excuse to have one more.
Old 12th January 2007, 11:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Actually, we're all going to be in the Hill Stand C2. 3 day tickets to the race are part of the package.
I thought he was talking about tickets for the train & bus (instead of relying on the coach from the Hotel), isn't that what he was saying? I know that we have 3 day tickets to C2. I was asking about the transport ticket cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Not worth it - take the chaps advice and go for Stand F. F gives you the best view on the circuit, without doubt. You will need to walk about 100 m for the beer, though - gives you an excuse to have one more.
I know, it also burns the biggest hole in one's pocket, particularly if wife & kids are also gonna be attending . Besides, Citrine is the only tier for which they are having a promo and giving tickets for Raceday only - all others are mostly three day passes, if the odd one has a one day, its prohibitively expensive
Old 12th January 2007, 16:52   #11

Yo

To respond to some specific issues

1. The three day KL Central to Circuit pass cost me 300 Ringit last year. The price may go up as they have been year after year. But it's still worth it.

2. Coming to the Choice of stands. Avoid the hill stands. You are out in the open. It blazes when the sun is out and when it pours, which it suddenly can, there's no umbrella that can save you from a sound drenching. Take the F stand.

3. I second all the suggestions made by Anarchist

HO
Old 12th January 2007, 17:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

You can shelter yourself from the rains and sun only if you are in the covered hill stand else you will be roasted in the heat. yes you do sit on the grass in the covered stands . carry paper or small cushions for more comfort. My dad and the other contest winner used paper. I didnt need any since I stood near the fence for the whole race
Old 12th January 2007, 17:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pics from my trip . You can get an idea of the views you can get from the C2 covered hill stand

The track views... you get to see the full back straight as well

The driver parade

Some random pics I took of C2 stand

The parking lot and what you can see there

The circuit mall area (F1 merchandise shopping)

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks