Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should we hold Sunday Garage sessions?
Ohhh! yes. Always been waiting for it 16 88.89%
Ummmm! Maybe.. 0 0%
Nah! Whatever needs to be learnt can be learnet from the forum 1 5.56%
I'll go along with the flow <smile> 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 23:24   #1
BHPian

POLL: "Sunday Garage/ Hands-on Sessions" - Game???

Hi All,

I am Manish, a specimen of a species which is all too abundant, omni-present and utterly at a loss when around hard-core technical discussions. Let me explain to you my symptoms:

1. I am most comfortable taking my car to the authorised A.S.S. even though it's more expensive because when around an after-market mechanic, I never know if I'm being cheated.

2. When asked to replace something in my car by the A.S.S, I agree if I've just got a bonus or disagree if Vitamin-M's running low. In either case, I've no means of checking if what's being asked to replace actually needs replacement.

3. Any uncomfortable sound from the bonnet area means I'll open the bonnet and pretend to do something if I'm around a hot chick or just take it to the A.S.S. at the next convinient time if there's noone to impress.

4. I envy the guys who can open the bonnet and actually know their way around.

5. I wish I could discuss engines & gearboxes & clutches without sounding foolish.

6. When I get an after-market performance mod done, I wish I could know whether the installation has been correct or not.

7. I dream of being able to discuss cars with my mechanic and hold my own or maybe even teach him a thing or two.

8. I wish I could have the smell of mobil & grease all over me.

But above all, the symptom that best distinguishes me is: I really-really WANT TO KNOW automobiles inside-out but don't know how to. And theoretical discussions are just that, theoretical and can take one only too far.

How does the prospect of a Sunday garage session by one of the mods/BHP-Support/Distinguished BHPians sound to you? I'm from Mumbai but this thread is for new BHPians all across India. If a majority are game for it, individual city threads maybe created to discuss dates & time.

I had put the query across in one of the threads. Rehaan has responded saying that it's possible if enough Newbies/BHPians are game for it and interested in such a session.

So,what do you feel? Please put your vote in. Dates etc. can be decided later.

Also, what are the topics that could be discussed in the prelim session?

Regards

Last edited by manishk83 : 7th September 2010 at 23:35.
Old 8th September 2010, 00:04   #2
BHPian

"Sunday Garage/ Hands-on Sessions"- Game???

manishk83, I think this is a great idea that you have come up with (makes me say "What an Idea Sirji").

It will surely help us get hands on experience and tips from the Gurus here and will surely save us from getting ripped by mechanics.

We could get an experts opinion on matters we are skeptical about (not that we cant raise a query on the forum and get it resolved). It would really be a different experience in terms of 'being there' and learning.

We could include different topics like General Maintainence, ICE, Auto Detailing, Tyres etc.

I am definitely GAME!
Old 8th September 2010, 00:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

1] Find a service manual for your car and engine
2] Find a friendly mechanic nearby who is happy to rent you tools. Or strike a friendship with him and borrow the tools for free
3] Set a goal for a day. You will almost always have some complaint with your car. Set a goal to solve that problem.
4] If your car is/was sold globally, you will find communities for your own car. You will find experts who know a lot about your car and can answer questions or offer suggestions without assuming or guessing anything. Register there. Then read everything you can.
5] Go downstairs with tools, a service manual and a favorite drink of your choice (Skip alcohol )
6] Work on your car.

The way I saw it, if a mechanic working on the roadside could open up and close a car's engine, why couldn't I? Not trying to insult any mechanic, btw.

If you have the desire to work on your car, no need to be afraid. There is very less you can actually destroy if you take proper care and think right.
Old 8th September 2010, 19:03   #4
BHPian

Guys, also post what you'd want from this session? And if you drop in to view the thread, please take out a moment to vote too! <please>

For me, the most important would be to know:

1. What are the various parts that I see when I open my car's hood.
2. What are the various parts that an A.S.S. usually recommends need replacement? How do I know if it really needs replacement? If replaced, can I verify if it's actually been replaced? eg. if an A.S.S. says: "Saar, your clutch is hard, needs replacement"; how can I check if it really does! I have read in the forums that I can find it out when the clutch "slips". But, how can I know if it's actually "Slipping"??

Last edited by manishk83 : 8th September 2010 at 19:06.
Old 8th September 2010, 19:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Slipping clutch the RPM will increase but speed will not increase as much or If the car can do a wheel spin when starting from stand still the clutch is fine
Old 9th September 2010, 20:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk83 View Post
Guys, also post what you'd want from this session? And if you drop in to view the thread, please take out a moment to vote too! <please>

For me, the most important would be to know:

1. What are the various parts that I see when I open my car's hood.
2. What are the various parts that an A.S.S. usually recommends need replacement? How do I know if it really needs replacement? If replaced, can I verify if it's actually been replaced? eg. if an A.S.S. says: "Saar, your clutch is hard, needs replacement"; how can I check if it really does! I have read in the forums that I can find it out when the clutch "slips". But, how can I know if it's actually "Slipping"??
A Pictorial guide identifying 1 part under the hood, it's features, why it's used, how to check if it's working properly, etc would be great really.
Old 15th September 2010, 02:04   #7
BHPian

Id like to learn some basics to get my hands just slightly greasy

Say for example:
1 - How to change your engine oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, coolant, transmission fluid, power steering fluid. You know, the basics
2 - Check if everything is running fine under the hood (visual inspection). Say to be able to make out any leaks or even if any belts need replacement. And even how to make out if something is wrong through "listening" to the engine when you start the car or at idling.

In short, simple maintainance & how to make check if your car is in good health.

And all these could be put up on the forum in the form of pictoral guides along with the list of parts/equipment/tools required to do them.

(If these sessions actually materialise, then at a later stage it would be great to learn advanced driving skills like say what to do in emergency situations. Not with actual demonstrations (though if possible, that would be awesome) but by just showing what to do like onlookers just observe the teacher's movements in a parked car)

Further, i agree with Turboholic to expand into different topics after the basics of maintainance are covered. ICE, Tyres, Detailing would all make for great topics. One more from my side would be to learn some general tweaks & basic mods. Say, how to smoke your lights, install a performance air filter, a tuning box and so on.

Im all for it.

Last edited by Xehaust : 15th September 2010 at 02:15.
Old 7th October 2010, 22:58   #8

Hey guys am all game for it. Reading manuals is good, but nothing beats a good experienced hand
Old 8th October 2010, 05:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Aah!!! I do work on my Rx all the time making things greasy & finally learned the art of doing things without getting greasy I guess this is the time to move on to bigger machines. Yep, I'm sure to learn on Sundays. By the way, is this for real or just stops with a poll?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks