Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2011, 14:05   #1
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Baleno : Not starting! Issue with ECM wiring harness.

Tried to start my Baleno after 4-5 days. Didn't start.
Checked all fuse, all electrical connection. All ok. Simply doesn't start.
Called the in FNG guy. Checking all the electrical,all ok, finally zeroed to fuel not coming to engine.
When cranking , no fuel is coming.
Check the end before filter from the petrol tank to fuel filter. No fuel coming.
Issue located with the fuel pump in the tank.
Status : Car need to be towed to garage for a proper checkup and check the fuel pump.

Can there be some other issue ? Can the pump pack-up without out any pre-symptom.

Last edited by v&v : 26th April 2011 at 14:08.
Old 26th April 2011, 14:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Baleno : Not starting! Issue with ECM wiring harness.

Has it been driven recently with very less fuel in the tank? If so that could have put the sediments in the tank through your pump and it packed up.
Old 26th April 2011, 14:36   #3
v&v
Senior - BHPian

@laluks , usually quarter tank fuel will be always there. As per the mechanic, there is no current to the fuel pump. He is suggesting need to check the dash for any wire cut by rats.
Old 26th April 2011, 15:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Have you checked the relays. I don't think the wiring can be cut by rats.
Old 26th April 2011, 15:46   #5
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Have you checked the relays. I don't think the wiring can be cut by rats.
The fuel pump relays have been checked. They bypassed the same with jumper, even after that that no power to the pump. That was the reason for suspecting a CUT WIRE.
Old 26th April 2011, 17:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

If its just a wiring/connection issue then why would you need to get the fuel pump unit replaced?
Old 26th April 2011, 17:43   #7
v&v
Senior - BHPian

On further investigation it was found that there is no power going to the fuel pump after the relay. Hence it is assumed that either there is a wire cut in the Dash. Now the car has to be towed to the service center for further work.

Initially it was told that it seem the fuel pump has packed as there was no fuel in the lines even before the filter. Only later on further checking it came to know that there is no power going to the pump.
Old 26th April 2011, 19:12   #8
BHPian

How did they know there was no power in fuel pump? Did they check using multimeter or something? Similar issue happened to my friend's zen and what I did was lifting the rear seat and there was the fuel pump wire and I connected it directly, bingo it started working. I connected the black wire to the body of car and red one to the +ve terminal of battery. Later we bypassed the original wire with a new one.
Old 26th April 2011, 22:53   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
...there is no power going to the pump.
Frustrating to sit a few thousand km away and trying to fix a fuel pump! Ask them to remove the pump from the tank (accessible from under the rear seat) and bench test it. Probably a blown fuse somewhere, or a choked inlet filter. Don't expect it to be a big issue anyway. Fuel pumps are robust units and rarely fail after just 100,000km.

Worst case scenario: You can procure one in Delhi from Mayapuri / Jama Masjid and courier it across.
Old 27th April 2011, 08:20   #10
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
How did they know there was no power in fuel pump? Did they check using multimeter or something? Similar issue happened to my friend's zen and what I did was lifting the rear seat and there was the fuel pump wire and I connected it directly, bingo it started working. I connected the black wire to the body of car and red one to the +ve terminal of battery. Later we bypassed the original wire with a new one.
Yah, they checked with a multimeter. Guys say its sure there is a wire cut somewhere after the relay. May be if not traceable then re-wiring is the solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Frustrating to sit a few thousand km away and trying to fix a fuel pump! Ask them to remove the pump from the tank (accessible from under the rear seat) and bench test it. Probably a blown fuse somewhere, or a choked inlet filter. Don't expect it to be a big issue anyway. Fuel pumps are robust units and rarely fail after just 100,000km.

Worst case scenario: You can procure one in Delhi from Mayapuri / Jama Masjid and courier it across.
doc. its really frustrating. All fuse checked, fuel pump relay bypassed then they checked for the power at the tank. There is no power coming to fuel pump. That is why now they are suspecting a wire cut.

They will now tow it to service center for further diagnostic.
Old 27th April 2011, 08:27   #11
BHPian

I don't know where the fuel pump is located in the Baleno, however if you can see the same, try tapping the fuel pump with a screw driver while someone turns the ignition on, see if it works, did work on my zen and Amby.
Once they remove the fuel pump they can easily check if it's working by giving it some power from the battery and checking the amount it pumps out. My Amby Fuel pump was replaced about a year ago and it was expensive about 5k I think, don't know how much the Baleno would cost.
Old 27th April 2011, 18:39   #12
BHPian

+1 to Hashim.

Catch hold of an auto-electrician and ask him to put a couple of new wires from the relay to the fuel pump. The original wires should be disconnected as the risk of fuse blowing always remains. This could be done at your house itself and there would be no need to tow the car anywhere. The FNG would anyways be doing the same thing. Opening up the dash would not be a good idea as refitting is not always perfect.

BTW, the multimeter only tells whether the motor winding is intact. In order to check the pump, it would be better to connect it directly to the battery and see whether the motor is actually working.

Last edited by dashoin : 27th April 2011 at 18:42.
Old 28th April 2011, 05:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Its been 2 days since the car broke down, did the repair guy tell you what was exactly wrong or are they still investigating?
Old 28th April 2011, 08:31   #14
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
I don't know where the fuel pump is located in the Baleno, however if you can see the same, try tapping the fuel pump with a screw driver while someone turns the ignition on, see if it works, did work on my zen and Amby.
Once they remove the fuel pump they can easily check if it's working by giving it some power from the battery and checking the amount it pumps out. My Amby Fuel pump was replaced about a year ago and it was expensive about 5k I think, don't know how much the Baleno would cost.
The fuel pump is under the rear seat. As of now we are suspecting a wire cut rather than a packed pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashoin View Post
+1 to Hashim.

Catch hold of an auto-electrician and ask him to put a couple of new wires from the relay to the fuel pump. The original wires should be disconnected as the risk of fuse blowing always remains. This could be done at your house itself and there would be no need to tow the car anywhere. The FNG would anyways be doing the same thing. Opening up the dash would not be a good idea as refitting is not always perfect.

BTW, the multimeter only tells whether the motor winding is intact. In order to check the pump, it would be better to connect it directly to the battery and see whether the motor is actually working.
Step one will be to trace the original wire, if that fails then a parallel wiring will be done once zeroed to exact problem , ie if its a wirecut problem or the fuel pump problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Its been 2 days since the car broke down, did the repair guy tell you what was exactly wrong or are they still investigating?
No the car is still in the home , it has not been given to the service guy. May me this weekend it will be towed away.
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:07   #15
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Update on my Baleno.
it was towed today. Checked the fuel pump by giving direct supply. its working. They are trying to tracing wirecut. Even as per them fuel pump relay too is OK.
Now the issue is after relay till the petrol tank wiring.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks