Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 20:43   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Turbo Lag 101

THis thread is all over the place! From turbo lag to clutches that need overhauling and now rubberband effect on a CVT. Perhaps this is better suited in "Shifting Gears" rather than the technical section!
Old 30th April 2011, 01:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
THis thread is all over the place! From turbo lag to clutches that need overhauling and now rubberband effect on a CVT. Perhaps this is better suited in "Shifting Gears" rather than the technical section!
I beg to differ.

The title is Turbo Lag 101 - anything related to Turbo Lag can can and should be discussed.

This includes how to handle turbo-lag (clutch slipping) and what other effects feel the same to the driver (rubber-band effect).
Old 30th April 2011, 02:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
When I stepped on the accelerator (I was feathering the accelerator), the car initially went nowhere even though I was well above idle. There was a sense of motionlessness, and I could tell the engine was well above idle because I could hear the engine note change from idle.
Ummm... did you release the clutch fully? If you did AND this happened, the clutch is slipping. And not, this is not turbo-lag
Old 30th April 2011, 08:29   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Ummm... did you release the clutch fully? If you did AND this happened, the clutch is slipping. And not, this is not turbo-lag
Yessir if I can remember correctly the clutch was released. I've come to the conclusion something might be wrong with the car. Good thing it's not my car LOL.
Old 30th April 2011, 20:08   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
A slight change is there. The turbocharger does not spin until a certain rpm.
I beg to disagree, but a turbocharger spins continuously unlike a supercharger, as long as the engine is running; at low / close-to-idle rpms the revs are not enough to produce sufficient compression of the intake air to make any difference as compared to a NA engine.
Quote:
On the highway, do not rev above the power band.
Why not? What difference would it make to a turbocharged engine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
The title is Turbo Lag 101 - anything related to Turbo Lag can can and should be discussed.

This includes how to handle turbo-lag (clutch slipping) and what other effects feel the same to the driver (rubber-band effect).
+1. Let the discussions spool up!
Old 30th April 2011, 21:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post2245975
and
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post2310263

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 23:48   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I beg to disagree, but a turbocharger spins continuously unlike a supercharger, as long as the engine is running; at low / close-to-idle rpms the revs are not enough to produce sufficient compression of the intake air to make any difference as compared to a NA engine.
You are right. I stand corrected!.

Butt, doesn't superchargers too spin at all times?.
Quote:
Why not? What difference would it make to a turbocharged engine?
  1. Vina was migrating from a petrol engine to a diesel engine. I believe diesel engines wear and tear at high rpm's are much higher than petrol engines, due to higher compression.
  2. There is no point in revving it above the power band. Atleast me, have never revved a diesel all the way up to its rev limiter. I really havent felt like.
Old 1st May 2011, 23:59   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I beg to differ.

Sorry vina, but clutch slippage and CVT rubberbanding has nothing to do with turbo lag. For one, these are observed in vehicles with or without turbo. But we should definitely use this thread to discuss everything about Turbo Lag, agree.
Old 2nd May 2011, 00:03   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Butt, doesn't superchargers too spin at all times?.
Not until they are switched on through an electric clutch or similar arrangement, or unless they are fitted to run all the time. Running them continuously is optional.
Quote:
  1. Vina was migrating from a petrol engine to a diesel engine. I believe diesel engines wear and tear at high rpm's are much higher than petrol engines, due to higher compression.
  2. There is no point in revving it above the power band. Atleast me, have never revved a diesel all the way up to its rev limiter. I really havent felt like.
Ok - I was under the impression that you meant it might harm a turbocharger. But then, revving a diesel to its limiter is in no way any more harmful than doing the same to a petrol engine.
Old 2nd May 2011, 00:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry vina, but clutch slippage and CVT rubberbanding has nothing to do with turbo lag. For one, these are observed in vehicles with or without turbo. But we should definitely use this thread to discuss everything about Turbo Lag, agree.

Sure they do:

rubber banding feels similar to turbo lag (so should be discussed in a Turbo Lag 101 to show what is not turbo lag but feels like it ), and clutch slipping is an important technique for somebody trying to start a fully-loaded vehicle on an incline that has turbo lag and hence relatively little power at low rpm.

thanks for the thumbs up by the way - and I'm a newbie driver so I have only to learn from you guys.

Last edited by vina : 2nd May 2011 at 00:08.
vina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 03:20   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not until they are switched on through an electric clutch or similar arrangement, or unless they are fitted to run all the time. Running them continuously is optional.
I have not come across a supercharged car in my life, but I believe most superchargers are mechanically driven(always spinning)?.

Also, could you please enlighten me about which cars sport electric clutch or similar arrangement for driving a supercharger, and what/how do they turn ON?, and the deciding factors?.
Quote:
... But then, revving a diesel to its limiter is in no way any more harmful than doing the same to a petrol engine.
Well, I thought the forces that act on the piston face are much higher than the petrol's?. And wouldn't that mean a much higher stress on high rpm's?.

Not practically very relevant, but I think, another reason for not high revving a diesel is the slow burn rate of the fuel, but I guess, these engines already have lower rev limiter than the petrols.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:21   #27
BHPian

No one mentioned turbo lag is also based on the size of the turbo. These cars mentioned all have small turbo's which start to spool up around 1200 and hit about full boost around 2000. Twin turbo's are actually to take away the lag. This is when it is sequential which means one turbo is slightly smalled than the other. Its basically a prespool for the bigger turbo to kick in so there is no lag.

Last edited by i<3turbo : 2nd May 2011 at 11:23.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3turbo View Post
No one mentioned turbo lag is also based on the size of the turbo. These cars mentioned all have small turbo's which start to spool up around 1200 and hit about full boost around 2000. Twin turbo's are actually to take away the lag. This is when it is sequential which means one turbo is slightly smalled than the other. Its basically a prespool for the bigger turbo to kick in so there is no lag.

Isn't VGT similar to what you are saying (just asking)/

Also is there an easy mod that can be used to reduce the turbo-lag?
Old 6th May 2011, 09:39   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Turbo lag, as of now, cannot be eliminated but the effect could be reduced.
See link on PBS(Pneumatic Booster System) that is being developed for commercial vehicles for elimination of the turbo lag.

Cheers!

http://www.knorr-bremse.de/media/en/...mzt06I2009.pdf
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 14:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Is there some kind of a "reverse turbo lag" too?

For past few days I have noticed something:

When I'm driving my Figo at 1300rpm it generates a lot of power. Now if I drive for some time (30 seconds) at that rpm, and then shift up, the rpm drops below 1000 but the power doesn't drop much for several seconds.

On the other hand if I'm coming from a low rpm (say roughly 700, 800) into 1000 rpm, it takes several seconds before power develops.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks