Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 13:07   #1

New Scorpio SLE - Left Pulling

I finally Purchased my Dream Scorpio SLE - White on 3rd Jan 2011. It's fun to drive and own a car.

From the time I have brought till date I have driven 5000KM (till 3rd May 2011) only. Till date at least 5 time I have sent the car back to SKS Automobiles, Bangalore service centre for "LEFT PULLING" every time they have been saying it is alignment problem. We have noticed that the Percentage of left pulling has come down every time I send for repair.

I am worried now, as SKS Automobiles are not given us clear picture of the actual problem with the car. On 4th May 2011 I have taken the vehicle for Long drive and noticed that the left pulling is still there at 100 to 120 Speeds and at lower speeds like 30- 40 I am able to hear ratteling sound from back if the roads are bad.

We had written a strong letter to SKS and Mahindra for a Vehicle replacement as we think it is a " MANUFACTURING DEFECT" and SKS automobiles are not able to address the problem and are keeping Quite on our letter.

TEAM BHP - Guru's advice us as to

1. what is the problem of Left Puling and Suspension Problem?
2. As a new vehicle Policy how do Automobile Industry / Mahindra Handle such issues for replacement.
3. As a new car if I have so many issues what are the long term problems that I could face life faster tyre wear and tear, suspension problem etc.
4. How Should I proceed in solving this problem?

Look forward to your advice.

Regards

Ramswarup
Old 9th May 2011, 16:23   #2
BHPian

Re: New Scorpio SLE - Left Pulling

I had a right pull on my new vlx 4wd and since I had the time I just stood there and waited for them to set it right. thing is the scorpios wheel alignment is adjusted by adding or removing shims between the chassis and suspension and it takes time to get it right so it is a pretty long process. Insist on seeing the alignment report and compare the obtained readings with the target values which are always present in the alignment report, do not accept delivery if they are not within limits.
I am not from Bangalore but had my crde serviced at India Garage once in 2005 and they seemed to have a decent setup back then so you could try them out.
Old 9th May 2011, 16:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ram,
Firstly, congratulations for your new acquisition. I guess as offroadie said your car seems to have the shim issue, which i have faced with both my scorpio ownerships. I trust this is an PDI issue which the dealer does not effectively do!

Happy motoring!
Old 9th May 2011, 16:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ram,
Congrats on your new purchase. Me too faced alignment issue when I got my Scorpio recently along with pulling towards left while braking. Alignment issue was first rectified by removing/replacing shims and also with normal alignment fixing procedure (toe and Camber if I'm not wrong). This actually takes some time then any other car's alignment procedure(almost 2 hours they took). I was there whole time with my car and was checking the procedure. But still the alignment problem got solved after that.
About the pulling while braking was solved by one their senior guys( and experience does matter as the other guys were not able to fix the problem initially) by driving and braking the vehicle hard for few kilometers. I guess your problem is mostly with alignment and not with brakes but thought I would inform you about this also as it seems many new Scorpio's face this problem. I got this done at Shireesh, hosur road.
Regards,
Kaushik
Old 9th May 2011, 16:45   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramgorontla View Post
I finally Purchased my Dream Scorpio SLE - White on 3rd Jan 2011. It's fun to drive and own a car.

From the time I have brought till date I have driven 5000KM (till 3rd May 2011) only. Till date at least 5 time I have sent the car back to SKS Automobiles, Bangalore service centre for "LEFT PULLING" every time they have been saying it is alignment problem. We have noticed that the Percentage of left pulling has come down every time I send for repair.

I am worried now, as SKS Automobiles are not given us clear picture of the actual problem with the car. On 4th May 2011 I have taken the vehicle for Long drive and noticed that the left pulling is still there at 100 to 120 Speeds and at lower speeds like 30- 40 I am able to hear ratteling sound from back if the roads are bad.

We had written a strong letter to SKS and Mahindra for a Vehicle replacement as we think it is a " MANUFACTURING DEFECT" and SKS automobiles are not able to address the problem and are keeping Quite on our letter.

TEAM BHP - Guru's advice us as to

1. what is the problem of Left Puling and Suspension Problem?
2. As a new vehicle Policy how do Automobile Industry / Mahindra Handle such issues for replacement.
3. As a new car if I have so many issues what are the long term problems that I could face life faster tyre wear and tear, suspension problem etc.
4. How Should I proceed in solving this problem?

Look forward to your advice.

Regards

Ramswarup
hi rams

welcome to the mahindra family.
dont let such hickups spoil your motoring. this is one small prob that will be solved easily.
now coming to your "pulling" problem, do you experience it during braking or you experience it during cruising itself?

A) If it is during braking, then do the following
1. replace the brake pads.
2. check tyre pressure ( all 4 wheels )

B) If it is during cruising, then try out the following
1. swap the front LH and RH tyres and tryout the same trials.
2. maintain same tyre pressure on all four wheels.
3. check for a faulty suspension.
4. Most importantly, many of our vehicles will experience a left pull while cruising on highways as the roads are mostly tapered tp the left ( from the median ) to facilitate water flow off. this results in left pull of the vehicle. the best way to confirm it is by driving your vehicle in the same speed on the wrong side of the road( i.e., on the right side of the median ) where the road will be tapered to the right. now you will experience a right pull. I've had a similar experience on my bolero.

cheers
Old 9th May 2011, 18:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please post your wheel alignment values here first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
About the pulling while braking was solved by one their senior guys( and experience does matter as the other guys were not able to fix the problem initially)
Any idea who attended the problem?

Spike
Old 9th May 2011, 18:41   #7
BHPian

Its probably the camber or the toe which is out of tolerance.
If you can post the latest alignment data here, things will be clearer.

EDIT: Just saw Spike's post.

Last edited by jeeva : 9th May 2011 at 18:45.
Old 9th May 2011, 18:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Any idea who attended the problem?

Spike
I think his name is Jayprakash or something similar. Can't exactly remember now. I might have posted it in the Scorpio Issues thread. And thinking about that might this thread also can be moved to that thread.
Old 12th May 2011, 16:34   #9

From the Time I have purchased the Scorpio as I mentioned above, I have sent the car back 5 times and this is what they have done

First Time - Wheel Alignment.
Second Time - Re-Checked and again Wheel Alignment with Rotation.
Third Time - Wheel alignment with Diagonal Rotation.
Fourth Time - As I was insisting for change in Tyre (Apollo), they said they have tried with Bridgstone and found the same problem. Hence fixed the old Apollo tyre and re-aligned again.
Fifth Time - They said the Technical Head from Mahindra and SKS team (GM- Service) inspected and Replaced Lower Arm and again Re-Alignment was made.

This time the left fulling is clearly seen when it is 100 -120 Speed and also above 110 KMS speed the stering is shaking. The SKS automobiles has not give the alignment sheets to us. They have just given a zero bill with the work done.

Also this time I noticed that if I drive through bad roads, I hear the rattling noise from the back suspension.
Old 13th May 2011, 09:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
From the Time I have purchased the Scorpio as I mentioned above, I have sent the car back 5 times and this is what they have done

First Time - Wheel Alignment.
Second Time - Re-Checked and again Wheel Alignment with Rotation.
Third Time - Wheel alignment with Diagonal Rotation.
Fourth Time - As I was insisting for change in Tyre (Apollo), they said they have tried with Bridgstone and found the same problem. Hence fixed the old Apollo tyre and re-aligned again.
Fifth Time - They said the Technical Head from Mahindra and SKS team (GM- Service) inspected and Replaced Lower Arm and again Re-Alignment was made.

This time the left fulling is clearly seen when it is 100 -120 Speed and also above 110 KMS speed the stering is shaking. The SKS automobiles has not give the alignment sheets to us. They have just given a zero bill with the work done.

Also this time I noticed that if I drive through bad roads, I hear the rattling noise from the back suspension.
hey
scorp's rear suspensions aren't that weak.
the rattling noise may be due to the spare wheel's stay bracket hitting against the spare wheel well wall or it may also be due to a damaged bush in the exhaust fixture bracket.

cheers
Old 14th May 2011, 23:07   #11
BANNED

Quote:
There could a different steering issue and a different suspension/alignment/rattling issue. Was your steering column checked? Who was your SA at SKS?
Do let me know if you need any help at SKS.
Old 5th December 2011, 15:12   #12

The Problem of left pulling still continues with steering wobbling when I drive above 100 KM speed. This is the 8th time I am sending my Scorpio to SKS Automobiles, bannerghatta road, Bangalore with the same problem and for 3rd free service @15,000 KM. It is 5 days now the Scorpio is still with SKS Automobiles.

They have tried tyre rotation, alignment twice, tested with new set of tyre and alloys and still the problem continues. This is been confirmed by the service engineer. So now they are calling the Apollo tyre expert for tyre replacement. Which I feel is not the solution.

I am sick and tired of SKS Automobiles. I feel the Scorpio sold to me has a manufacturing defect which SKS Automobiles are trying to play around to push beyond the warranty period.

The Gurus of TEAM BHP - give me some advice as to how to approach Mahindra to ask them for a free replacement of my Scorpio.

I have already logged the complaint in the 24x7 Mahinda Hamesha and till now not received any response. I have objected to take deliver of the Scorpio with out replacement.
Old 5th December 2011, 16:47   #13
BHPian

Hi Ram,

Congrats on your acquisition. I too had this problem in my scorpio SLE which i bought it July this year.

I visited to the India Garage Service center and the Service advisor told me that they dont know the exact reason for this behavior, then he tested ABS setup, Alignment and brakes concluded the problem to be with the brakes and ABS, got them re-setup and since then my vehicle is working fine.

About the steering wobbling yes there is a bit of wobbling when driven on rough patches. Since this is a Hydraulic setup, it is expected behavior as per fellow bhipian bensb who also got his new machine in the mnth of August.

Spikey Saar: Could you please re-confirm the steering behavior ?

Do PM me if you need the service advisor's details

Cheers,
Rajesh

Last edited by 2500cc : 5th December 2011 at 16:50.
Old 5th December 2011, 17:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

If after lot of attempts at alignment the pulling is still there. Time to check the struts which more often than not are the culprit.
Old 5th December 2011, 18:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post

About the steering wobbling yes there is a bit of wobbling when driven on rough patches. Since this is a Hydraulic setup, it is expected behavior as per fellow bhipian bensb who also got his new machine in the mnth of August.

Spikey Saar: Could you please re-confirm the steering behavior ?
Sir, I did not understand the question. Could you please paraphrase the query?

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks