Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2011, 12:00   #31

re: Honda Jazz & CNG compatibility. Actual User Feedback required.

OK so now we have reach a point of near agreement ,that for one reason or the other the Honda Jazz is not the best horse to be fed a CNG diet. So, I second Sukrit7.
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Well I read somewhere that safety wise while CNG is safest (safer than diesel), petrol is worse than LPG. I'm talking about fire hazard for a vehicle.

Apparently air-petrol mixture is easier to combust in a wider fuel/air ratio range than for LPG, and also because petrol is liquid at room temperature and pressure (though gives strong fumes), it can stay near the vehicle and potential sources of ignition for far longer than LPG can.

It was a one off article somewhere, I can't even find it again (tried searching just now) - so it may be wrong too.

given the hassles of getting the gas etc. and the lifetime reduction of the engine I would rather go for diesel - for most low people with low annual mileage petrol is the best option, for high mileage guys diesel saves money as well as provides range between refills.
1) I dont agree with the point that CNG is the safest. Yes, in event of a leak, its relatively more safe, but not the safest.
Why ? Because of the pressure at which it is stored in the vehicle. In car like Waggie, what in case of a high impact rear ending ? The storage apart, CNG is good, but I myself personally think that the CNG cylinder can become a potential bomb. Though not that many cases are reported and I am myself driving CNG cars ( Waggie mainly : thread ) and M800. The cylinder is built for to high quality standards + safety tested too. But I would say that storage makes me think that CNG is definitely not the safest.

2) LPG. Again the storage makes it not the safest.

3) Petrol. Well, we know that petrol explodes. But the storage makes is better than CNG and LPG IMO.

4) Diesel. Yes, here is the safest bet! Purely my opinon, but I too prefer diesel. Its a different thing that we dont have a diesel vehicle at home and I love to revv hard the petrol units, but still from safety point of view, diesel is the best. Not to be stored under higher pressure like LPG and CNG. Wont explode like petrol.

I too read an article blaming Mr. Rick Wagoner for preventing diesel fuel to come into US market. The article was regarding safety point and there it was mentioned that GM had done its best to avoid diesel engines, but diesel is safer than petrol. This article made me read more on this topic. Again, I am not able to find out the exact link to the article.
Old 20th July 2011, 11:53   #33
BHPian

Talking about CNG, lot of people are recommending against CNG's being fitted into Hondas. Here is an interesting article, I read today Premium car buyers now seeking CNG version of Honda CR-V, Honda Civic, Honda City, Toyota Camry and Corolla
Infact it even says, dealers are trying for CNG version in BMW and Merc models

Last edited by snorting bull : 20th July 2011 at 11:55.
Old 20th July 2011, 17:53   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
Talking about CNG, lot of people are recommending against CNG's being fitted into Hondas. Here is an interesting article, I read today Premium car buyers now seeking CNG version of Honda CR-V, Honda Civic, Honda City, Toyota Camry and Corolla
Now that is just pushing it!

Why buy a BMW in the first place, when you want a frugal car? Does the Indian mentality have anything to do with it? (No offense, I'm Indian myself! ) This is just utter blasphemy! Such people don't deserve to buy such cars!
Old 20th July 2011, 18:05   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
I too was suprised to see many civics and accords being lined up in CNG pumps in Ahemdabad. I appreciate the passion of such owners who would love to drive such premium cars without burning their pockets heavily on fuels.
I was suprised to see such incidents for first time in India.
I never saw such premium cars fitted with CNG kits in New Delhi or Mumbai earlier, where CNG is available in decent no.of pumps.
Old 7th October 2011, 21:48   #36
BHPian

Does this have anything to do with pollution? Are the CNG and LPG options greener? From my limited knowledge, the answer is yes. Especially on SPM. Not sure about Organic compounds.
Audi, Mercedes, et al are coming out with electrifying Electric Hybrids. And they cannot be compared to a Reva, right? So why not a CNG accord?
Old 27th December 2011, 14:33   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
i am in the market for a used car and am eyeing a jazz.
before i can zero in on it, i need to know if it supports cng
can the jazz be retrofitted with a cng kit?

thanks a lot in advance.
Hi Amit,

Did you finally go for a Jazz with CNG fitment??

Am contemplating the very same option and i remembered this thread.

I've done about 71K in 2.5 years in my Getz D and now thinking that CNG would be a more cost effective option and have always liked the Jazz. Thought is to buy a 2nd hand Jazz and have it CNG kit fitted.

Would be interesting to know ACTUAL user opinions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks