Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 16:56   #1
BHPian

Honda Jazz & CNG compatibility. Actual User Feedback required.

i am in the market for a used car and am eyeing a jazz.
before i can zero in on it, i need to know if it supports cng
can the jazz be retrofitted with a cng kit?

thanks a lot in advance.
Old 13th May 2011, 17:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: jazz cng compatibility

Why would you want to do that?

The Jazz has a 45 litre fuel tank and will deliver a decent 15 km/l in city driving conditions and 20 km/l on the highway. CNG, as far as I know, would void the warranty, if any, and might reduce the engine's reliability and reduce its refinement. I'm not entirely sure though.
Old 13th May 2011, 17:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

The Jazz has a 45 litre fuel tank and will deliver a decent 15 km/l in city driving conditions and 20 km/l on the highway. CNG, as far as I know, would void the warranty, if any, and might reduce the engine's reliability and reduce its refinement. I'm not entirely sure though.
+1 to the fuel stats & the warranty bit; I have been getting similar results on my pre owned Jazz.
Before doing this, you may also want to consider any impact this may have on the resale value. Are you considering this due to the space on offer or any other reasons apart from FE/ running cost?
Old 13th May 2011, 18:01   #4

Quote:

I agree with suhaas307. There few machines which should be respected and left alone. Why mess with Jazz San!!!
1.2 liter rev happy engine. who is known to be a very light eater.
Please let him be.
Old 13th May 2011, 18:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:

How does warranty matter in used car segment? There are many other factors of more importance than warranty which would be expiring in few more week or would have already expired (more possibility).
Old 13th May 2011, 18:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
How does warranty matter in used car segment? There are many other factors of more importance than warranty which would be expiring in few more week or would have already expired (more possibility).
Well, there is a possibility that the pre-owned Jazz in question is still under warranty. Perhaps the previous owner might have decided to go in for extended warranty. All this is just speculation, though.

But as you said, warranty is not the most important thing here.

The 1.2 iVtec engine is a gem of a motor. It's refined, frugal and quite rev-happy. A CNG/LPG conversion would only reduce the reliability and the engine might be susceptible to even more wear and tear in the long run.

these engines are designed to run for lakhs of kilometers. A CNG conversion would reduce its life considerably, I believe.
Old 13th May 2011, 19:25   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...The 1.2 iVtec engine is a gem of a motor...
.. And thats exactly what makes it a perfect choice for CNG'n.

Well, personally I dont prefer or recommend CNG, due to reduced engine life, and less reliability. Reasons: High operating temperatures and seemingly less lubrication.

Buuttttt.. If you really want to CNG your car, then the Jazz is an excellent choice. Much.. much.. better than its European counterparts. I have seen numerous Honda's running 1.5lac+ kms on LPG.
Old 13th May 2011, 19:35   #8
BANNED

I will not get a highly strung Honda engine and then emasculate it with CNG or LPG. One buys a Honda for the engine!
Old 13th May 2011, 19:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good to see so many people trying to rescue one more petrol engine from being slaughtered!

@ amitverma: Buddy, if you buy a Jazz, please keep it running on gasoline! Seriously, Jazz delivers some astonishing FE figures coupled with unparalleled pleasure of high revving Honda engine! If you want your running cost to be low, do consider buying a diesel car. No offense!
Old 13th May 2011, 21:52   #10
BANNED

The basic problem if you load the Jazz with CNg cylinder is the weak/soft suspension at the rear .I have seen few jazz with cng and they just sag down .
If you plan i think city suspension can be swapped on Jazz at rear .
And any car can run on CNG when a NANO can :-) Seen it .Believed It.

Rgds
Old 13th May 2011, 22:23   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
.. And any car can run on CNG when a NANO can ..
And.. A Nano isn't a bad car at all!!.. Why would anyone make statements as if it was the benchmark of unreliability?. There are, and have been worse cases.

Without going too much deep into it, Ford IKON ROCAM engines are least friendly towards LPG.. Not at all reliable.

Last edited by dhanushs : 13th May 2011 at 22:25.
Old 14th May 2011, 12:11   #12
BHPian

Agree with Sgiitk, I would never fit a CNG kit to an engine like the Hondas. CNG is a dry fuel and buggers up your engine in the long run. Yes it may be cheap, AVOID it as much as possible. The honda engine is a gem, enjoy its performance rather than deteriorating it with a CNG kit.
Old 14th May 2011, 17:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
And.. A Nano isn't a bad car at all!!.. Why would anyone make statements as if it was the benchmark of unreliability?. There are, and have been worse cases. ...

+1 to that.

Also, to all Honda engine lovers - our friend here wants to buy a used Jazz - probably he is not paying through his nose to get a free-revving engine, but rather getting a good car that goes cheap second hand, is supported by good service network, bought in the first place by people who would not intentionally abuse the vehicle and has excellent technology to begin with

All together - the best choice to convert to CNG/LPG !

With so many Hondas on the roads running with CNG it should be perfectly possible to convert Jazz.
Old 14th May 2011, 18:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina
With so many Hondas on the roads running with CNG it should be perfectly possible to convert Jazz.
vina; I don't think the feasibility or possibility is a problem. Just don't understand why it should be done to an already fuel efficient and lively engine
Old 14th May 2011, 18:10   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
+1 to that.

Also, to all Honda engine lovers - our friend here wants to buy a used Jazz - probably he is not paying through his nose to get a free-revving engine, but rather getting a good car that goes cheap second hand, is supported by good service network, bought in the first place by people who would not intentionally abuse the vehicle and has excellent technology to begin with

All together - the best choice to convert to CNG/LPG !

Not to take anything away from vina I think they are better ways to maintain the F.E in a used car without playing with engine reliability, chassis balance and the suspension. Honda makes great petrol engines let us not debate that
for new car or used. Hence, let it be petrol or ethanol cause converting to CNG will only cause loss of storage space, loss of crisp handling and suspension fatigue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks