Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2011, 00:08   #1

Engine problem: RPM & Speed limited

Hi All,

its a please to be in this forum and I want to thank team BHP for this opportunity.

I have a ford figo which I bought in July 2010. Just within 1 week of purchase, I had a major problem in my car. I was not able to accelerate beyond 20 kmph and rpm was restricted to 2000. I was driving on a highway and the experience was very scary since my car speed was not going beyond 20kmph while all other vehicles were zooming by. It’s been around 10 months now and I had this problem for about 10-12 times. It’s in the record as I got it checked in Lathangi Ford, Bangalore, Metro ford, MG road, Bangalore and then in MPL Ford OMR, Chennai.

Now also, my car is at the dealership for past 2 weeks since that problem occurred again. and the worst part is, even ford technicians are not able to find the root cause of the problem. I am not able to reach anyone in ford india. I am dropping emails to presidents desk and getting the same automated reply

I am highly disappointed now since even after so many escalations, nothing is happening. It is a danger to my life when I drive this car on the road since I am not sure when this problem will appear and some fast moving vehicle will hit my car, since my car speed drops suddenly.
This is a shame for ford india that they are not able to resolve the problem and I am getting harassed everytime with false promises.

I asked them to give me a new car but they are saying its not possible. When I say that atleast give me an affidavit stating that if the problem comes up again, Ford will replace my car. They are not willing to give me that as well.

I am planning to take the consumer forum route.

just wanted to keep you guys posted that please be careful with ford figo and bring any problem to their notice and dont get convinced until you are very sure.
Old 24th May 2011, 05:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Engine problem: RPM & Speed limited

Sorry to hear this about Figo, but you have owned this car for almost an year now so chances of you getting a new car as a replacement is very low. As the vehicle is still under warranty you can fix the problem without spending anything from your pocket.
The process of taking the dealer/Ford to consumer court will take its own time and tests your patience. Try negotiating with the dealer or Ford and fix the problem ASAP.
Old 24th May 2011, 06:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

I suggest reaching out to the highest echelons of FORD india - this page might help you

Ford India - Profiles of Key Personnel

You can also reach out to member mustang.101 - he might be of some help
Old 24th May 2011, 06:35   #4
BANNED

Was there some diagnosis done for this issue by Ford/dealers? Can you elaborate the symptoms here. Someone might be able to help you out right here.
Old 24th May 2011, 07:46   #5
BHPian

I have had the exact same problem with my Elantra, except for the fact that it refused to accelerate beyond 110 kmph. The engine seemed to just get stuck! What it was diagnosed to was an ECU problem, and a programming error. It might be a similar issue with your car too.
Old 24th May 2011, 08:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

This definitely seems to be related to the ECU. Either the ECU is faulty itself, and under certain circumstances, ends up restricting the speed/rpms. Or some other sensor or component of the control system is at fault. When the ECU is detecting this fault, which according to its programming is a serious one, causes a shift to a sort of safe limp home mode, by restricting speed/rpms.

What kind of warning signals do you get on the dash when such a thing happens??

Also, such electronic control systems can get pretty difficult to diagnose, as the problem will crop up in very specific set of circumstances, which can be difficult to recreate.
Old 24th May 2011, 09:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

you can send mail to fightback@utvmoney.com and address your issue to the Ford Management.
Old 24th May 2011, 11:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 24th May 2011 at 14:53.
Schoudhury is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th May 2011, 12:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear this. But as you live in Chennai, where Ford is situated, I think it wont be that difficult for you to escalate. I'm surprised that you've lived with this issue for nearly 10 months!

As others said, it looks like an ECU issue. Ask them to change it. I remember reading in the Fiesta manual that under certain conditions, the engine rpm levels are restricted, but I don't remember what those conditions are.
Old 24th May 2011, 12:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your problem.

It seems its a ECU related issue which is cropping up especially when the car is operating above a certain temperature (which is typical in highway runs) and the ECU is triggering the "limp - home" mode.

Am enclosing below the e-mail id of :

Michael Boneham, Ford's India Country Head: mboneham@ford.com
and
Nigel Wark: Ford India's Sales & Marketing Head
nwark@ford.com

suggest you write to them and keeping out fingers crossed , they should respond.

Take care and drive safe !
Old 24th May 2011, 12:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear that.

Yes. Please check the diagnostics report. But I am wondering why Ford guys are also of no clue. I am sure, they would have taken these diagnostics report right?

Atleast, from the first view, seems to be related to ECU.

Quote:
I asked them to give me a new car but they are saying its not possible. When I say that atleast give me an affidavit stating that if the problem comes up again, Ford will replace my car. They are not willing to give me that as well.
Its not so easy to get such replacements. Good luck. Keep visiting service centers and keep them in loop.

Also, is there any other symptom while this happening? Hows the RPM?

is this happening all of a sudden?
Old 24th May 2011, 14:13   #12
BHPian

@ Shaunak: Its been 10 months and still not rectified? Heights of patience you have my friend. It probably is an ECU issue I feel.

If i'd been in your place I would have raised an FIR against the dealer for delivering a faulty car and blasted him upside down for delivering a new one.
Old 24th May 2011, 14:56   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Shaunak, sorry to hear about your plight. Please use the email addresses provided above, and also contact Ford via their website & facebook page.

BTW, it could be any one of the following causes:

- Engine going in limp mode. Today's ECUs restrict the engine rpm if they detect a serious problem that could be damaging to the engine. Your performance drops after driving for some kms, right?

- Faulty ECU

- Faulty air-con compressor : On another thread, a BHPian reported that his OHC suffered from the same problem. It was a seized air-con compressor. Are you facing any cooling issues?
Old 24th May 2011, 15:05   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey shaunakv55, I'm sure with correct diagnostics, you wont require a replacement of car. May be consider changing the dealership.

Well, I have a question for you: During the past 10 months of diagnosis, did they check for faulty
  • Fuel pump
  • Ignition Coil
  • HT Cables
  • Spark plugs
  • Clogged fuel lines
  • Error codes in ECU
  • Clogged Intake
  • Leaks in manifold
  • If Figo is driven by cable, then the butterfly valve.
  • Sometimes it can also be as silly as a stuck throttle.
Please confirm.
Old 24th May 2011, 15:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
BTW, it could be any one of the following causes:

- Engine going in limp mode. Today's ECUs restrict the engine rpm if they detect a serious problem that could be damaging to the engine. Your performance drops after driving for some kms, right?
Looks like its on limp mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Faulty ECU
try disconnecting the battery wires and connecting them back after 15 mins. Sometimes a reset is all it takes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks